Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Massive Trade
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eagle2720
The Rams trade up to get the #1 overall pick.

They get #1, #113(4th) and #177(6th)

Titans get #15, #43, #45(both 2nd) #76(3rd) 2017 1st rounder and 2017 3rd rounder.

Only assume it's either Goff or Wentz going 1 now.. Extremely relieved that we didn't get duped into paying that price.

https://twitter.com/titans/status/720598516981215232
mcnabbulous
All indications are that its for Wentz
Eagle2720
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 14 2016, 09:36 AM) *
All indications are that its for Wentz

Then if Clevland takes Goff, hopefully all the other talent slides a bit, I would love it if either Ramsey or Jack some how fell to us.
Reality Fan
Now maybe Mikey can tell us all how the price to move up to Number 1 is really not that expensive....

Not expensive at all....lol
Joegrane
Hopefully someone will do the math and tell us the net trading points paid by LA in the trade--using nfl trade value charts.

LA needed roughly extra 500 points or so (mid 2nd rounder) than the Eagles would have needed.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2016, 09:48 AM) *
Now maybe Mikey can tell us all how the price to move up to Number 1 is really not that expensive....

Not expensive at all....lol

Dreagon
So that means both top QBs will most likely be off the board in the first two picks. And since just about everybody predicted the Titans to take Tunsil, Tunsil will fall to the Chargers. I'm cool with that because the Chargers should take him and that would mean Jalen Ramsey will fall to us. I would have preferred a QB, but I damn sure won't complain about Ramsey. (but watch Jerry take Bosa anyway and me have to replace my big screen TV)

At the same time, that could have ripple effects down to you guys. It increases the odds either Buckner or Bosa fall to you guys which would give you more breathing room with Cox. And if both of them get taken, then you guys will get either Myles Jack or whoever you consider to be the top wide receiver in the draft.
Dreagon
So the Rams gave up two firsts, two seconds, and a third to get Goff or Wentz.

A couple of months ago there were experts wondering if any of this years QBs were worth a top 5 pick. Funny how value inflates as the big day approaches. Honestly, I was kind of hoping one of those two would fall to us just because of Romo's recent history but that doesn't look likely. I guess in three years we'll know if the Rams overpaid of if we missed out on an opportunity.
nephillymike
http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtopic=80882

see above for a recap of draft day trades.

Basically, most trades are close to the trade chart, give or take an extra pick either way, normally in the 4th to 6th range.

The Rams paid a premium in this trade, equal to a mid 3rd round pick, about 1/2 round to a round more than normal.

Here's the math:

Rams Got
#1 = 3,000
#113 = 68
#177 = 20
Total Haul = 3088

They Gave Up
#15 = 1050
#43 = 470
#45 = 450
#76 = 210
'17 1st = 1000
'17 3rd = 116 (not regular 3rd, but their expected 3rd round compensatory pick)
Total Cost = 3296

Premium = 208 = #77 pick, a mid third.

My guess as to why the slightly higher than normal premium?

Two things.

1st - the far drop from 1 all the way down to 15 represented a premium that wouldn't necessarily be there for a move down to 6 to 10 range.

2nd - a sellers market with at least two other really good offers and a few more offers from others. The Eagles may have contributed to this.

My guess is that the Eagles premium would have been a 4th round pick given the fact they had the 8th pick and less of a drop.

So, would you have done

Eagles #8, Next year's 1st, next year's 2nd, this year's 3rd AND a 4th as premium (either this year or next year) for the #1 pick this year?

Would you?

Or how about this. Would you do the above but remove next year's second to move up to #2 this year?

Would you?

TEN said there were a couple of teams other than LA with serious offers? A couple normally means two?

Were the Eagles one of those two??

They said "several" made offers. Were the Eagles in those?

Yes, I say they, with SF, were mos likely the other "couple" with good offers.

They definitely were within the "several".
What say you?
Reality Fan
Whoa horsey......

First you assume that the Rams will finish no worse than with the 16th pick?

Then you assume that they will get a compensatory pick when it could just as easily be their regular 3rd round pick.

The premium they paid may and likely will be much higher.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2016, 09:04 PM) *
Whoa horsey......

First you assume that the Rams will finish no worse than with the 16th pick?

Then you assume that they will get a compensatory pick when it could just as easily be their regular 3rd round pick.

The premium they paid may and likely will be much higher.

They value future picks as the mid of the round.

If they don't get a 3rd round compensatory pick, they get a small give back of another pick from the Titans, a 7th.

By the secret, not so secret formula, they say they're in third round comp land now, but I don't know how that works. Our old friend TGryn used to have that all figured out.

I know you would do neither.

But do you think the Eagles were one of the other two?

Very unlikely that teams so high in the draft in most future years won't need a QB. Combined with our middle or better hopeful record, we may just have to test that QB after the 15th pick theory.

BTW, I think TEN uses a pick or two to move back up into the top 10.
Reality Fan
not sure if the Eagles were one of them.....I would love to know but I kind of doubt it.....Howie is a trader but not a reckless one.....in some ways, trading from 8 to one is tough to compete because the team looking to move up from 15 is going to offer a boatload of picks and the value chart goes out the window......we would likely have had to match the number of picks and having no 2nd round pick this year was an early mountain to climb...and they knew it.

Isn't it ironic that they got our 2nd round pick in the trade?
nephillymike
FWIW,

The Eagles are said to have withdrawn their offer to the Titans earlier in the week and they are now saying the Eagles are in discussions to move up to CLE's spot.

It's still alive!!!!!

The one source was the guy from Philly who does the Charges now. Last name begins with a W. I think he was a sports producer or something around here back in the day. The other source was the NFL network.

We'll see.

Now what are the beers and wings odds? If they were 50-1, must have gone up, right?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 14 2016, 10:28 PM) *
FWIW,

The Eagles are said to have withdrawn their offer to the Titans earlier in the week and they are now saying the Eagles are in discussions to move up to CLE's spot.

It's still alive!!!!!

The one source was the guy from Philly who does the Charges now. Last name begins with a W. I think he was a sports producer or something around here back in the day. The other source was the NFL network.

We'll see.

Now what are the beers and wings odds? If they were 50-1, must have gone up, right?

where did you see that?
Joegrane
I think Bradford is good enough to get a very good team deep into the playoffs so I would not.

I probably would not even do it for Wentz while having a deal worked out with Denver to trade Bradford for their low 2nd rounder.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 14 2016, 09:50 PM) *
http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtopic=80882

So, would you have done

Eagles #8, Next year's 1st, next year's 2nd, this year's 3rd AND a 4th as premium (either this year or next year) for the #1 pick this year?

Or how about this. Would you do the above but remove next year's second to move up to #2 this year?

Would you?

TEN said there were a couple of teams other than LA with serious offers? A couple normally means two?

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2016, 10:04 PM) *
where did you see that?

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/...o-no-2-overall/

Also mentioned on NFL network,one of their night shows.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2016, 06:23 AM) *
http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/...o-no-2-overall/

Also mentioned on NFL network,one of their night shows.

In my view this is either painting the Eagles as a team desperate for a franchise QB because they're within reach or a team that is blowing a lot of smoke to keep other teams off the real target.
Joegrane
It is not unreasonable for the Eagles to think that way since they are not often within range of the top few picks of the draft. Sam B might be good enough to be a playoff-caliber QB for the next five years; however, a high-level QB draft pick might leave you set at QB for ten years.

QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 15 2016, 06:31 AM) *
In my view this is either painting the Eagles as a team desperate for a franchise QB because they're within reach or a team that is blowing a lot of smoke to keep other teams off the real target.

The Eagles have a history of trading with CLE.

In a story posted by CBSSports.comís Jason LaCanfora on Wednesday, he wrote that some league executives believe that Eagles GM Howie Roseman is set on making a huge splash in the draft and it could be for a quarterback.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the "splash" as long as it is truly good for the Eagles, and not for Howie's ego.
Joegrane
Yes, but what if we get Denver's 2nd for Bradford after picking Wentz at #2 : ) That could be your starting RB.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2016, 10:20 PM) *
Isn't it ironic that they got our 2nd round pick in the trade?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 15 2016, 11:04 AM) *
Yes, but what if we get Denver's 2nd for Bradford after picking Wentz at #2 : ) That could be your starting RB.

What if we trade our first and thirds to Green Bay for Rodgers? Or may be we can trade them to Houston for Watt?

Maybe we can force the niners to take him for their first?

Shall I continue on with the ridiculous or are you and Mikey going to come up with others?
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 15 2016, 02:49 PM) *
What if we trade our first and thirds to Green Bay for Rodgers? Or may be we can trade them to Houston for Watt?

Shall I continue on with the ridiculous or are you and Mikey going to come up with others?

I heard reports last year that the Steelers wanted to trade AB for Riley Cooper and Chip angrily declined, calling the offer an insult laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 15 2016, 01:49 PM) *

According to sources, as reported on 97.5 (was it Caplan or DeCamera??), the Rams did the deal now because it was the Eagles who were hot on a deal with TEN.

Eagles apparently offered this year's 1st and 3rd, next year's 1st, 3rd and 5th, but they are advertising it as we withdrew our offer as opposed to being outbid.

If we did in fact withdraw it, my guess is that the Eagles have both QB's rated very close and have a good idea CLE will part with their pick for less (BTW, it should be a 2nd round pick less).

The math says our offer was 3064 points vs, a get of 3000 points for a 64 point premium which is pick#115, a mid 4th.

We were offering a mid 4th premium, they got a mid 3rd premium. TEN took the better deal.

If it holds true to form, CLE should accept our 1st and 3rd this year, our 1st and 5th next year for a premium of 34 = a high 5th round premium (pick #143). Possible that the 5th becomes a 4th with maybe a lower round give back.

The important thing for those wondering, the Eagles are very much in the hunt for a move up to get a QB.
Joegrane
Maybe the Eagles think Goff is a better fit for LA. He is thought to be more NFL ready, is from CA, not N Dakota, is younger. I assume LA wants a guy who can be the starter at some point this year.

The Eagles have Daniel as the placeholder so can afford to wait a year or more for Wentz to develop. Wentz might end up being the better QB in the long term. His mobility might help him in the short-term as he is learning.

After giving up all of those picks it would be nice to get something for Bradford.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2016, 09:24 PM) *
..., my guess is that the Eagles have both QB's rated very close and have a good idea CLE will part with their pick for less (BTW, it should be a 2nd round pick less).

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 15 2016, 09:24 PM) *
CLE should accept our 1st and 3rd this year, our 1st and 5th next year for a premium of 34 = a high 5th round premium (pick #143). Possible that the 5th becomes a 4th with maybe a lower round give back.

If they're that high on whoever is there, this is much more palatable to me than what the Rams paid. It would leave us with #77, #100, #153, #164, #188, #233 and #251 this year ... a potential contributor this year and 3 potential future starters or solid depth. Assuming (ulp) the guy picked at #2 becomes a franchise player, that's a good deal even when adding in the #1 and #3 next year. If he's a bust the sacrifice isn't debilitating.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 16 2016, 06:07 AM) *
If they're that high on whoever is there, this is much more palatable to me than what the Rams paid. It would leave us with #77, #100, #153, #164, #188, #233 and #251 this year ... a potential contributor this year and 3 potential future starters or solid depth. Assuming (ulp) the guy picked at #2 becomes a franchise player, that's a good deal even when adding in the #1 and #3 next year. If he's a bust the sacrifice isn't debilitating.

Never....ever...ever...ever.....surrender your first round pick in any tear......ever....I do love all the folks who love to kill the Eagles when they blow a first round pick like Watkins but happily surrender one to take a gamble.......

no no no no no
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 16 2016, 08:16 AM) *
Never....ever...ever...ever.....surrender your first round pick in any tear......ever....I do love all the folks who love to kill the Eagles when they blow a first round pick like Watkins but happily surrender one to take a gamble.......

no no no no no

well, never is such a bad bad word

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.