Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philadelphia Eagles need to take a quarterback in the first round
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
- 2016 is only the fifth time since Jeffrey Lurie purchased the Eagles that they have drafted in the top 10..

- The chances the Eagles are in an even better position to draft a QB in 2017 is slim, they are simply too talented and play in too easy of a division to expect to be so bad as to get a top pick in 2017.

- As awful as the Eagles were in 2015, they finished with the 13th overall pick.

There’s no "generational talent" at QB this year ... And that’s okay. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson weren’t considered generational players either, while Alex Smith, Tim Couch, and Sam Bradford were. Nobody knows anything about quarterbacks. Which is exactly why the Eagles should draft one early this year, whether it be Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, or even Paxton Lynch.

And if the QB is a bust… they should be in pretty good position to draft another one in a few years.

Linc...
mcnabbulous
I agree with the the general sentiment. Haven't seen enough of either of the top-2 guys to have strong opinions. Not really too enthusiastic about the guy from Memphis. But I'm all about throwing darts at the QB position.
Reality Fan
I read the article and I have to say that the writer makes a bunch of failed points. First, he assumes that the Eagles have no hope that Bradford is their guy. That is incorrect.....they hope that he is hence the big payday but they are hedging their bets with a short but expensive "show me" contract. You do not pay a guy who is not your hopeful long term solution 22 million for one year. How one can't see the idiocy of that is beyond me. That does not mean that Bradford will succeed but they are hoping he does. If he was not their hopeful long term guy they would have just signed a guy like Daniels and used the money to extend Cox.

The other mistake is his "draft a guy high and is he fails we get to draft high again" point. First, it would have a cost to move up to get the guy which impacts other positions. Second, he fails to appreciate the public impact if the guy fails. Odd for a guy blogging for the Eagles.

I would not be upset if they drafted Wentz bit only if he fell to them. I think they are going to take Hogan. Not pretty but the guy wins and is tough.
The Franchise
No, we don't.
nd9kel
^ This
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 6 2016, 01:41 PM) *
I read the article and I have to say that the writer makes a bunch of failed points. First, he assumes that the Eagles have no hope that Bradford is their guy. That is incorrect.....they hope that he is hence the big payday but they are hedging their bets with a short but expensive "show me" contract. You do not pay a guy who is not your hopeful long term solution 22 million for one year. How one can't see the idiocy of that is beyond me. That does not mean that Bradford will succeed but they are hoping he does. If he was not their hopeful long term guy they would have just signed a guy like Daniels and used the money to extend Cox.

The other mistake is his "draft a guy high and is he fails we get to draft high again" point. First, it would have a cost to move up to get the guy which impacts other positions. Second, he fails to appreciate the public impact if the guy fails. Odd for a guy blogging for the Eagles.

I would not be upset if they drafted Wentz bit only if he fell to them. I think they are going to take Hogan. Not pretty but the guy wins and is tough.

I agree, the only QB I would take early is Wentz and that's only if he fell to us, I would not want to trade the farm for him. I would rather take one later and have him sit and develop that way, like Cook/Hack in the 2nd(if we somehow get one) or 3rd. We go later then I would like Hogan in the later rounds. Also if we don't take Zeke with the 8th then maybe Hogan can do some hardcore recruiting this time next year to land the future Heisman winner McCaffery wink.gif
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 6 2016, 01:41 PM) *
I read the article and I have to say that the writer makes a bunch of failed points. First, he assumes that the Eagles have no hope that Bradford is their guy. That is incorrect.....they hope that he is hence the big payday but they are hedging their bets with a short but expensive "show me" contract.

I don't think that's the case at all. Bradford was the best option in a bad QB market. If he does well (enough) he can garner a decent draft pick. All the while our QB of the future is learning the ropes and developing like a QB should.

You do not pay a guy who is not your hopeful long term solution 22 million for one year. How one can't see the idiocy of that is beyond me. That does not mean that Bradford will succeed but they are hoping he does. If he was not their hopeful long term guy they would have just signed a guy like Daniels and used the money to extend Cox.

You sign a guy like Bradford to a big money contract in order to feed the gullible fans. If Bradford is as mediocre as he was last season, we'll have a mid round pick (like we did this season)....and still no QB of the future.

They can still extend Cox. Creative maneuvering with contracts can free up the space. That's (supposed to be) Roseman's specialty.

The other mistake is his "draft a guy high and is he fails we get to draft high again" point. First, it would have a cost to move up to get the guy which impacts other positions.

Other positions are (much) easier to fill via free agency and/or trades.

he fails to appreciate the public impact if the guy fails.

Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. You don't draft players expecting them to fail. If they actually took into account the "public" impact they will take Zeke. That appears to be the popular consensus amongst Eagle fans.

I think they are going to take Hogan. Not pretty but the guy wins and is tough.

They should take him too. He will likely still be available rounds 5,6,7.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Apr 6 2016, 05:03 PM) *
I agree, the only QB I would take early is Wentz and that's only if he fell to us, I would not want to trade the farm for him. I would rather take one later and have him sit and develop that way, like Cook/Hack in the 2nd(if we somehow get one) or 3rd. We go later then I would like Hogan in the later rounds. Also if we don't take Zeke with the 8th then maybe Hogan can do some hardcore recruiting this time next year to land the future Heisman winner McCaffery wink.gif

Having gone to High School with McCaffery's father(Ed was 2 years behind me) I would be thrilled

Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 6 2016, 05:57 PM) *
You sign a guy like Bradford to a big money contract in order to feed the gullible fans.

If you're really suggesting they signed Bradford to placate the fan base I'd have to assume you started cocktail hour too soon.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2016, 06:51 PM) *
If you're really suggesting they signed Bradford to placate the fan base I'd have to assume you started cocktail hour too soon.

I am suggesting that the QB FA market is especially bad, so they brought back a known quantity to sell the fans on this not being a rebuilding season.

A team will also do this to not "show their draft hand"....especially when your selection follows that of your hated former HC.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 6 2016, 07:06 PM) *
I am suggesting that the QB FA market is especially bad, so they brought back a known quantity to sell the fans on this not being a rebuilding season.

A team will also do this to not "show their draft hand"....especially when your selection follows that of your hated former HC.

That is beyond absurd....if they had a coach in place I might agree with you but bringing in a new coach to repair the damage done by the previous one gives them all the fan capital they would have needed to go with a cheap placeholder while they go and get their guy in the draft. If there ever was a time to do that it is now. It is not as if Bradford is a fan favorite who has been here for years...hell, a lot of fans would have been happy to see him go. You make it sound as if the fans were screaming to sign him...and you don't blow 22 million in cap space to smokescreen your draft moves....especially when you have a guy like Cox who will be expensive and eat up a lot of cap space himself...
mcnabbulous
I don't think they signed Bradford to smokescreen anything, but if you think his presence on our roster would prohibit us from targeting someone in the draft, you're naive or foolish.

He's a guy to keep us competitive, but not a long term solution. Maybe he makes major strides this year and that changes, but I don't expect it.

With all that said, I don't envision us moving up to draft a QB. Nor would I do it. If one of the top two guys falls to us, we could grab one.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 6 2016, 05:51 PM) *

Not that there's anything wrong with that !!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 6 2016, 08:22 PM) *
Not that there's anything wrong with that !!

Yep, I speak from a wealth of experience. laugh.gif
Dreagon
If Goff or Wentz falls to you guys, that wouldn't be unreasonable. If not, and you're determined to take a first round QB, trade down five to ten spots and then take Lynch.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 6 2016, 09:30 PM) *
If Goff or Wentz falls to you guys, that wouldn't be unreasonable. If not, and you're determined to take a first round QB, trade down five to ten spots and then take Lynch.

I agree with this. If they draft a QB he won't start for a year or two anyway so they'll have time to do some molding. Moving up is too costly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.