Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bTW, off the radar screen - Our FB signing
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...ign-a-fullback/

I get wanting a FB.

But getting one who was a LB last year and a DE in college?

I would think there would be much more qualified FB's as UDFA or current FA's who are, you know, Fullbacks!!

Any ideas?
Eyrie
The traditional FB is long gone.

I think Pederson made a comment about any FB having to be a key STs player, so that may explain the interest in signing someone with a defensive background since they are more used to tackling. Even if Mueller makes the team, how many carries or receptions would anyone expect him to have over the course of a season?

That said, Mueller is here less as competition for Burton and more to give him a breather during practices.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 3 2016, 06:12 AM) *
That said, Mueller is here less as competition for Burton and more to give him a breather during practices.

With a 2 year deal maybe they want some ST play from him.
The Franchise
It's not that the FB is 'gone,' it's that most offenses these days are not designed to use one. Find another Mike Alstott and I'm all for it.
Eyrie
Alstott was only loosely a FB - he was less of a lead blocker for Dunn and more of a power back alternative.

But it would make sense to take a big RB in a late round and convert him to "FB" to perform a similar role.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.