Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not Good 'Nabby
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...ian-hackenberg/

It may be true, but it's bad form.
mcnabbulous
Take everything you hear this time of year with a grain of salt. At least half the negative stuff said about any prospect is an effort to have him drop to a more favorable position for that anonymous source's team.

He is right though. There was a year of tape showing him in a successful system. Then a year of tape of him in a system that didn't play to his strength's. In year 2 under Franklin, they doubled down on the system that didn't work.

It was a pathetic offensive coaching performance.
Zero
"When we talk about Penn State and Ohio State, quite honestly they’re about two of the most remedial offenses I’ve watched this entire offseason."
Jaws ...
mcnabbulous
It's true. It was a one read, catch and throw offense. They're all over college football these days, and plenty have success, but it's not what Hack is best suited to do.

He went to PSU to play in O'Brien's pro style offense. O'Brien kind of screwed him, by leaving after his first year. I don't know if Franklin and his staff simply wanted to get their system implemented, regardless of personnel, but they made no effort to focus on Hack's strengths.

What they really wanted was a run/pass guy. Even the new OC they brought in focuses on that style.

It was unfortunate to watch.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 27 2016, 10:30 AM) *
It's true. It was a one read, catch and throw offense. They're all over college football these days, and plenty have success, but it's not what Hack is best suited to do.

He went to PSU to play in O'Brien's pro style offense. O'Brien kind of screwed him, by leaving after his first year. I don't know if Franklin and his staff simply wanted to get their system implemented, regardless of personnel, but they made no effort to focus on Hack's strengths.

What they really wanted was a run/pass guy. Even the new OC they brought in focuses on that style.

It was unfortunate to watch.

Poor, poor Hack. The nerve of O'Brien for taking his dream job and screwing over Christian. And then he bitches to NFL teams that the next HC comes in and doesn't want to contour his offense to fit him. Too fucking bad. Adjust, and if you can't then that is your problem.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Mar 27 2016, 11:01 AM) *
Poor, poor Hack. The nerve of O'Brien for taking his dream job and screwing over Christian. And then he bitches to NFL teams that the next HC comes in and doesn't want to contour his offense to fit him. Too fucking bad. Adjust, and if you can't then that is your problem.

Eh, given that he committed to PSU and stuck with it in the worst of circumstances, I think O'Brien owed him better.

People really seem to forget just how dire things were when he committed there.

And yes, a coach should tailor his offense to the QB. I'm not sure why someone would suggest otherwise. Especially considering the struggles they had over the past two years.
Reality Fan
There is still no excuse for saying that in an interview if he did actually say that...not what any team wants to hear...
Joegrane
I agree strongly. The QB is going to be one of the spokesmen for the organization. He has to learn the "company spin" and be able to communicate it. If he cant surround himself with decent spin doctors or can't communicate that, it is a negative

The bigger issue is whether it suggests he has limited ability to get along with coaches.

Would he blow interviews in order to make it more likely he ends up in Texas?

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 27 2016, 07:01 PM) *
There is still no excuse for saying that in an interview if he did actually say that...not what any team wants to hear...

mcnabbulous
So what should he have said?
Joegrane
If he is trying to land in Texas, he is saying what he should say : )

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 27 2016, 08:40 PM) *
So what should he have said?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 27 2016, 10:13 PM) *
If he is trying to land in Texas, he is saying what he should say : )

I'm serious though. I'm assuming the guy didn't blame everything that went wrong on Franklin, but it was obvious to anyone who was paying attention that they were a terrible fit.

Given that he has struggled for the past two years after being considered a #1 overall pick candidate after his freshman year, what do you think he should have said?

Everyone wants their athletes to be authentic, but then when they are, they get criticized. Imagine the situation he went through. In a matter of two years, he has lost a perceived value of millions of dollars.

I'm curious how you media savants would have handled it.
Reality Fan
I think he should have said "I could have done a better job adapting but I am working my ass of"
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 27 2016, 11:11 PM) *
I think he should have said "I could have done a better job adapting but I am working my ass of"

Who's to say that's not part of what he said? It's not unreasonable to believe he said that along with any criticisms of the offensive system.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 28 2016, 04:37 AM) *
Who's to say that's not part of what he said? It's not unreasonable to believe he said that along with any criticisms of the offensive system.

People have become increasingly critical of minor flaw. There's no person alive today that if under some exposed frequency to public opinion at large, would not reveal some incredible character flaw in failure to always sound like the most upstanding individual on earth. It's an incredible standard to live up to.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Mar 29 2016, 11:53 AM) *
People have become increasingly critical of minor flaw. There's no person alive today that if under some exposed frequency to public opinion at large, would not reveal some incredible character flaw in failure to always sound like the most upstanding individual on earth. It's an incredible standard to live up to.

I just think it's funny that people expect him to give some media bullshit when meeting with NFL teams. These are job interviews. He should be talking candidly about things that went down.

I refuse to believe he sat there and put all blame on Franklin. With that said, they fired their OC after the season. There were major problems with that offense. He didn't respond well to the catch and release nature of the offense. That's definitely on him, but the fact that his coaching staff didn't modify things to alleviate those issues was mind boggling.

Frankly, I'm not sure he's an ideal fit for a WCO, because he's not a super accurate natural passer. But in a more pro style offense that leans on outs, comebacks and deep balls, he will have a lot of success.

Pila
That may all be true - I really don't know. I was more speaking to the ridiculous scrutiny individual's in the public eye receive from the casual observer. My son plays professionally at 16 - he's a kid, yet the pressure to always say the right thing is incredible for a kid his age, or any age, for that matter. At that age, I could barely drool without choking in my own saliva. I think everyone deserves a bit more slack than that.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Mar 29 2016, 02:42 PM) *
That may all be true - I really don't know. I was more speaking to the ridiculous scrutiny individual's in the public eye receive from the casual observer. My son plays professionally at 16 - he's a kid, yet the pressure to always say the right thing is incredible for a kid his age, or any age, for that matter. At that age, I could barely drool without choking in my own saliva. I think everyone deserves a bit more slack than that.

Oh without a doubt. Hack isn't even legally allowed to have a drink yet. It's not a whole lot different than giving college kids a hard time for smoking weed.
Reality Fan
I think you are going down the wrong road.....what ever he said was said in a private meeting with teams, not to the press. Whatever he said was apparently so far from the norm or expected that it shocked the team or their reps to talk about it further outside the room. This is not a comment made to media.

That being said it is not fair to the kid that the rumor is out but the actual transcript of it is not so that the same court of public opinion hanging him can read the actual conversation.

It is surprising that he was not prepped by his agent or some such as to what to say and what not to say considering he is hoping to go in the first 3 rounds.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 29 2016, 03:07 PM) *
I think you are going down the wrong road.....what ever he said was said in a private meeting with teams, not to the press. Whatever he said was apparently so far from the norm or expected that it shocked the team or their reps to talk about it further outside the room. This is not a comment made to media.

That being said it is not fair to the kid that the rumor is out but the actual transcript of it is not so that the same court of public opinion hanging him can read the actual conversation.

It is surprising that he was not prepped by his agent or some such as to what to say and what not to say considering he is hoping to go in the first 3 rounds.

I just really think you have to take everything you read/hear with a grain of salt. There's no evidence the sources here aren't just saying stuff to make him more available for their teams later in the draft. The team, by interviewing him, already has expressed interest in him.

Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 29 2016, 04:22 PM) *
I just really think you have to take everything you read/hear with a grain of salt. There's no evidence the sources here aren't just saying stuff to make him more available for their teams later in the draft. The team, by interviewing him, already has expressed interest in him.

Or that some team is interested in devaluing Hack so they can get a bargain pick.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 29 2016, 05:59 PM) *
Or that some team is interested in devaluing Hack so they can get a bargain pick.

That's what I meant. You just said it more succinctly.
nephillymike
Now if O'Brien comes out and says I would never draft that medical reject, then I'd be suspicious tat Z is on to something.
Zero
Buddy O'Brien would never lie.
mcnabbulous
At least one reporter seems to agree with me...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/christian-hac...-174130565.html

mcnabbulous
Sorry for your narrative, fellas. Linkity

But four high-ranking club officials who were part of their team’s interview process with prospects, speaking for this piece, said that was not how Hackenberg responded in their meetings.

“His answer was that he didn’t play as well, and there were things he needed to get better at,” one head coach said. One senior executive said he was impressed that Hackenberg didn’t throw Franklin under the bus, despite questions that set him up to do so. Another team decision-maker said he could read between the lines that Hackenberg and Franklin weren’t especially close, but that Hackenberg did not blame his coach. During Hackenberg’s 12 formal interviews at the combine, some teams pushed that button harder than others and some may have interpreted his answers differently. Hackenberg doesn’t believe he left any room for interpretation.

“It was a very easy answer for me. There are some things that I have to get better at, and that’s the way I approached it going into the interviews,” Hackenberg says. “It’s the greatest team game on the planet, but you have to be able to uphold your end of the bargain. I did that at times, and at times I didn’t. That’s the messaging I wanted to get across, is here’s where I could have gotten better. I own everything I put on tape. I did it. It wasn’t anyone pulling the trigger but No. 14.”
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.