Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playcalling Procedures
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
From Pedey's Q & A with reporters, when talking about play calling:

Houston, we have a problem.............................
===============================================================

Although he’d like to use tempo at times during games, Pederson revealed that he may not give Bradford the play calls directly. He explained that “there’s a chance” he may tell Frank Reich what to run, who would then relay it to the quarterback, which is something the head coach learned under Andy Reid.

“With a head coach’s headset dynamic, you’re on the offense, you’re on the defense, and you have the quarterback communicator,” Pederson said. “You don’t know if, sometimes — the buttons. You know, I had offense, we had two channels on offense, and then I had the coach-to-quarterback communicator on my belt pack. A lot of times, I can just see the dynamic right now as a head coach — because you’re going to want to be on the defensive side of the ball, and you got all these buttons going on, and you don’t want to mess that up.

“And Andy felt comfortable that way. He wanted to hear — here’s the other thing about it is: Who’s voice are they listening to the most in the meetings during the week? They’re listening to more of mine because I was the one actually calling plays in practice. So if Frank, for instance, is calling the plays in practice, that’s the voice that they hear. They don’t want to hear a different voice on Sunday. So that’s the other dynamic to this whole thing is who are they listening to, along with the mechanics of all the buttons and everything on your headset.”

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/03/...bKGKqGDid7qI.99
Zero
Yeah, I read that and thought I'd should start looking for TV sales. Adding a layer in the play calling is TIME and that was so often the issue with Reid. I don't understand ... let's hope someone talks him out of that stupidity. Either call the damn plays or let someone else call the damn plays but don't tell Frank what to call because YOU'RE WASTING TIME especially with the long-winded play calls of the WCO!!!
nephillymike
They were saying that Lurie should step in an forbid it!!

I agree!!
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 25 2016, 05:59 AM) *
They were saying that Lurie should step in an forbid it!!

I agree!!

No thanks. I don't want Jeff Lurie making football decisions, that is what he hired people to do. The last thing we need is another Jerry Jones.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 25 2016, 06:34 AM) *
Yeah, I read that and thought I'd should start looking for TV sales. Adding a layer in the play calling is TIME and that was so often the issue with Reid. I don't understand ... let's hope someone talks him out of that stupidity. Either call the damn plays or let someone else call the damn plays but don't tell Frank what to call because YOU'RE WASTING TIME especially with the long-winded play calls of the WCO!!!

The issue with Andy Reid wasn't/isn't time per se as much it was/is not being able to think on the fly. Let Pederson try it his way. The last thing I want to do after hiring this guy is to tell him how I want him to run his team. If it doesn't work, then hopefully he adjusts, if not then...
Reality Fan
Not sure what the consternation is all about.....it is not as if the Chiefs committed a ton of Delay of Game penalties....

I think if they need to run a good 2 minute offense they should have several plays ready to go anyway.

I agree it is not the preferred method
nd9kel
It's annoying as hell. Don't micro-manage the game. That's what coaches meetings and practice are for.

If the QB doesn't have time to audible, here comes a stupid timeout, or worse yet a penalty. It cost KC a game.
Eyrie
I'll add another problem to the extra time involved - Pederson is still to get used to the demands of being the HC so it's dumb to add to those responsibilities. Let Reich call the plays and just talk to him about the general approach.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 25 2016, 07:59 AM) *
Not sure what the consternation is all about.....it is not as if the Chiefs committed a ton of Delay of Game penalties....

I think if they need to run a good 2 minute offense they should have several plays ready to go anyway.

I agree it is not the preferred method

KC runs the best 2 minute drill 7 minutes can buy!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 25 2016, 07:54 PM) *
KC runs the best 2 minute drill 7 minutes can buy!!

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.