Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions For the Board
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
1. The Eagles believe that Sam Bradford is the answer at QB for the next several years. Yes or No.

If you answer Yes, then there is no need to go further as they believe our QB position is solved.

2. Most scouts see Wentz and/or Goff as legitimate answers at QB. Yes or No

I have to say most scouts because the obvious people who count are the Eagles but we have no idea what they think.

If you answer No, then there is no need to go further as it is unreasonable to think either of these QB's are worth it.

3. With the #8 draft spot, it is likely that Eagles management thinks that we are closer to a draft spot to draft a high quality NFL QB than we will likely be in the foreseeable future.

If you answer No, then stop here, no need to go further.

4. From the #8 spot, it is reasonably possible for is to trade up to get to a spot to draft one of the two top QB's. (Prob #6)

If you answer No, then stop here, we should not draft a QB in the first round

For me, I get No, Bradford is not thought to be long term answer, Yes, most scouts see them as legit, definitely Yes that Eagles mgt sees us as drafting higher than we will in the foreseeable future and Yes, it is reasonably possible to move up.

As far as #1 goes, if he was the answer they wouldn't have done what is essentially a one year deal, and pay so much guaranteed money for a backup.

Regarding #2, this is the one option that would be most likely of all to be a no. If they evaluated both Goff and Wentz and determined they wanted neither, then they would obviously not be interested in a QB.

#3 is obviously Yes. The way they conducted the off season, they have no plans of finishing in the bottom ten any time soon.

#4 is yes. They can get to #6 without much. If there is only one QB that interests them, then it could be prohibitive to get to #2.

Is there really an elite talent they're looking to get in the top of the draft? Is it a shot at a QB they're looking to get, as they tend to go early?

Howie's MO is to trade down and get more picks. He's the master of that. He sees that hole in the 2nd round and that long wait after our first round pick before we pick again.

MIA offered us 250 draft day points for what we gave up in Maxwell and Alonso. He chose to move up to #8 from #13. We could have used those 250 points to upgrade our #77 pick to MIA's #42 to move up 35 spots to get into the 2nd round. Instead he chose to move up 5 spots in the first round. What non QB is that special talent? I don't think there is any.

Don't be surprised it we trade up to get a QB? Or at a minimum, sit at 8 hoping for one to fall to us, and if not, trade down to get another pick. If the QB's are gone and we trade down, you'll know this is right.

I got a hunch on this one.

nephillymike
One scout ranks the ratings he gave QB's coming out of college.

There in that class of QB:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000064...ects-since-2011
Reality Fan
First, the Eagles do not know if Bradford is the answer but they think there is a chance he may be and they basically gave him another year to prove it.

Second, many scouts think they are the best 2 QBs in the draft....but there have been quite a few reports out that many teams do not see either as certain success stories.

Third....the Eagles should think that they may never be this close again for a while....and they signed Bradford knowing that.

Fourth...how in the hell do you arrive at "it is reasonable to trade up" It will be expensive to move up and the trade chart value is fallible in one important aspect. First, the value is suspect but more importantly, the trade would involve multiple picks and the Eagles do not have a 2nd round pick this year.....that is huge. Maybe you want to trade next years number 2?

Moving up will cost a premium after already spending a ton of money on the 2 QBs on the roster.

This is not rocket science...overpaying for the 2 QBs they have tells you the whole story.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2016, 10:35 PM) *
First, the Eagles do not know if Bradford is the answer but they think there is a chance he may be and they basically gave him another year to prove it.

Second, many scouts think they are the best 2 QBs in the draft....but there have been quite a few reports out that many teams do not see either as certain success stories.

Third....the Eagles should think that they may never be this close again for a while....and they signed Bradford knowing that.

Fourth...how in the hell do you arrive at "it is reasonable to trade up" It will be expensive to move up and the trade chart value is fallible in one important aspect. First, the value is suspect but more importantly, the trade would involve multiple picks and the Eagles do not have a 2nd round pick this year.....that is huge. Maybe you want to trade next years number 2?

Moving up will cost a premium after already spending a ton of money on the 2 QBs on the roster.

This is not rocket science...overpaying for the 2 QBs they have tells you the whole story.

I think you're reading the tea leaves wrong.

They overpaid the backup because they're not sure of the starter. I don't think they're dumb enough to believe a career backup with two starts not good enough to challenge Smith, is good enough to be the answer. They are more uncertain paying both of the guys a shit load of money than if they would have just paid for my wings and beers sad.gif with a "measly" 4 yr deal 18M/yr for Bradford and kept Sanchez for his $5M. What they did shows less confidence in their QB than if they did the second option. Agree? From 8 to 6 is one of their 3rd round picks; way cheaper than it will ever be for them to get a shot at a young stud QB in a very long time.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2016, 11:47 PM) *
I think you're reading the tea leaves wrong.

They overpaid the backup because they're not sure of the starter. I don't think they're dumb enough to believe a career backup with two starts not good enough to challenge Smith, is good enough to be the answer. They are more uncertain paying both of the guys a shit load of money than if they would have just paid for my wings and beers sad.gif with a "measly" 4 yr deal 18M/yr for Bradford and kept Sanchez for his $5M. What they did shows less confidence in their QB than if they did the second option. Agree? From 8 to 6 is one of their 3rd round picks; way cheaper than it will ever be for them to get a shot at a young stud QB in a very long time.

Appatrntly it was free garbage...umm..I mean micro brew night at the bar tonight....lol

So you think Daniels should have challenged Smith? The guy they just gave a big contract to? The guy who went to the Pro Bowl his first year in KC? That guy? The guy who went 19-5 his last 2 years in San Fran? That guy?
Of course they didn't bring Daniels in to be the answer...Pederson loves him and brought him here to teach the offense and be a better backup than Sanchez. They think the starter may be the answer, that is why they paid him as much as they did...they just hedged their bet. They think it but they are not certain so Bradford's contract is the safe route.

And then you assume that a team will settle for the 3rd round pick....

Dak Prescot...get used to that name.....
Zero
I tend to agree with RF other than the ridiculous micro brew slam.

The Eagles believe Bradford could be a franchise QB but are hedging their bets. They want a blue chip player to build around. That may be a QB, LB, DE, RB or CB. They've not only invested money in two QBs but they've been careful to hire people to teach QBs. This fits with drafting a QB but it isn't restricted to a first round QB.

We don't have the currency to move up to #1 or #2 without adding a high profile player and/or future picks. If Wentz or Goff drop to them they will probably draft him for the reasons outlined, but the sacrifice to trade up would weaken their prospects for the future.

Howie has reshaped himself, or at least we're told. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he moved up but I would have to chuckle if he overtly subscribes to Chip's words about QBs and early picks. The other interesting point is the probability that SF Chip will be looking to take a QB and how Howie would feel moving ahead of them and taking their guy. I could see the Eagles trading their #3 to jump ahead of SF and trade with B'more if one of the QBs is there, and if they believe in the QB it would be a good move.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 25 2016, 05:28 AM) *
I could see the Eagles trading their #3 to jump ahead of SF and trade with B'more if one of the QBs is there, and if they believe in the QB it would be a good move.

It's this type of clarity that escapes some people of subpar beer preferences!!

tongue.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 25 2016, 06:58 AM) *
It's this type of clarity that escapes some people of subpar beer preferences!!

tongue.gif

ahhh...the confusion exotic hops can cause...

please reread the comment he made, particularly the end of it...."and if they believe in the QB it would be a good move."

You believe that they treasure either guy......I believe, and their signing of 2 QBs at premium money for both clearly indicates, that they do not believe, that either guy is an answer.

"
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 25 2016, 08:10 AM) *
ahhh...the confusion exotic hops can cause...

please reread the comment he made, particularly the end of it...."and if they believe in the QB it would be a good move."

You believe that they treasure either guy......I believe, and their signing of 2 QBs at premium money for both clearly indicates, that they do not believe, that either guy is an answer.

"

We'll see.

If we don't get one this year, we ain't getting one in another round but round one and we likely won't get one outside a top 11 pick. If Pedey and Howie and Schwartz are average, we aren't getting to #11 anytime soon.

Now if they don't believe in either, so be it. But man Wentz has gotten rave reviews as of late.

How about this. Mariota to SF for a boatload of picks. TEN picks Wentz at #1. Silly, maybe. But Wentz plus a boatload of picks is better than Mariota, IMO.

Fun time of the year. The thing you have going for your side of this is that Howie is a trader down by nature, and that really is the play most years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.