Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glaring holes
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
eagleaddict
A lot of posters claim our Defense was a strength last year and/or that it has already been upgraded this offseason. Although there are a few bright spots, I'm still concerned for the following reasons:

1. Who is the #1 corner? If you say, Rowe, please remember the Detroit game and how many starts he has to his name. Who's the guy you can line up against ODB, Dez, DJax for a game?

2. Who can be that double-digit sack guy? Maybe Cox as a 4-3 DT?

3. How strong is this line backing corps? I loved Hicks last year, but Kendrick's was impressive early and then fizzled. With the injury history, where's the depth?

I'm not trying to be negative, but I still don't see this as a strength yet...

With the holes on O, I still focus the first 3 rounds on Oline, QB, Oline and Oline

Phits
It's less about the personnel and more about the scheme. We have talent on the defensive side much better suited for 4-3 D. Our former DC sucked donkey nards. Too often he failed to adjust to the other team and we suffered as a result. Plus, there are some who contend that our fast paced 3 and out offense made the defense suffer. Which means they weren't conditioned for the amount of field time played. I'm not one of those advocates. I feel that if you want to get off the field than play harder to achieve that goal.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 23 2016, 04:25 PM) *
It's less about the personnel and more about the scheme. We have talent on the defensive side much better suited for 4-3 D. Our former DC sucked donkey nards. Too often he failed to adjust to the other team and we suffered as a result. Plus, there are some who contend that our fast paced 3 and out offense made the defense suffer. Which means they weren't conditioned for the amount of field time played. I'm not one of those advocates. I feel that if you want to get off the field than play harder to achieve that goal.

I fully agree with what you're saying, but I still don't see the D as a strength. With the talent we have and the modest acquisitions, I don't see a defense that will strike the fear needed to be even a division winner, let alone a playoff winner. It breaks my heart to be in rebuild mode, but that's how I see it. We are at least 2 years away from contending for a SB and nothing else matters for the emotional investment we put in. Please do not let them draft Ezekiel because we aren't there yet. And I have 4 recent running back jerseys, with only Sproles left on the team...
Joegrane
I also have concerns at CB; however, overall I agree with Phits.

Remember they won't be on the field so long now that Kelly's fast-paced system is gone.

I think the pass rush will be quite solid, one of the strongest aspects of the team. They also have depth there with Barwin, Graham, Curry, M Smith.

We'll see how the DEs and OLBs handle opposing Rushing game.

QUOTE (eagleaddict @ Mar 23 2016, 04:17 PM) *
A lot of posters claim our Defense was a strength last year and/or that it has already been upgraded this offseason. Although there are a few bright spots, I'm still concerned for the following reasons:

1. Who is the #1 corner? If you say, Rowe, please remember the Detroit game and how many starts he has to his name. Who's the guy you can line up against ODB, Dez, DJax for a game?

3. How strong is this line backing corps? I loved Hicks last year, but Kendrick's was impressive early and then fizzled. With the injury history, where's the depth?

With the holes on O, I still focus the first 3 rounds on Oline, QB, Oline and Oline

Reality Fan
QUOTE (eagleaddict @ Mar 23 2016, 05:17 PM) *

Not sure who said the defense was a strength last year...if someone did they were soundly corrected immediately because...well you can't be in the top 5 worst defenses and be a strength. They did play well early but then they were horrible.
Now on to your points...
They do not have a big name CB but Carroll was certainly as good or better than Maxwell. I find it silly to point out Rowe's Detroit game....his first exposure to the league and against one of the all time greats....imagine that..but you ignore his strong finish...he had a very good run down the stretch.

Their pass rush? Curry is a nice pass rusher and Barwin certainly has had double digit sack seasons...he will likely shine in Schwartz;s version of the 4-3. Graham had success in the 4-3 with very limited playing time.

At LB they are very fast and Bradham was a stud in Schwartz's version of the 4-3....Kendricks is much better suited to play the WILL in a 4-3. My only concern is Hicks staying healthy.

No one is saying they will be a top 5 defense but they will have a good defense...their talent was always better suited for a 4-3 even though they played a 3-4
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2016, 11:14 PM) *
No one is saying they will be a top 5 defense but they will have a good defense...their talent was always better suited for a 4-3 even though they played a 3-4

Which was a ridiculous situation to be in for the third season of playing the 3-4.
mcnabbulous
I think pass rush is a risk on D. Hoping the new scheme can generate some action. Would also be open to Spence at #8.
samaroo
RF pretty much nailed it. I don't think we'll have a 12 sack/yr guy, but we'll have (well, we will HOPEFULLY have) several 5-7 sack/yr guys.

I think Curry has a big year, and Cox. I'm really interested to see Barwin put his hand in the dirt and attack. Should be fun to watch.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2016, 06:14 PM) *
Not sure who said the defense was a strength last year...if someone did they were soundly corrected immediately because...well you can't be in the top 5 worst defenses and be a strength. They did play well early but then they were horrible.
Now on to your points...
They do not have a big name CB but Carroll was certainly as good or better than Maxwell. I find it silly to point out Rowe's Detroit game....his first exposure to the league and against one of the all time greats....imagine that..but you ignore his strong finish...he had a very good run down the stretch.

Their pass rush? Curry is a nice pass rusher and Barwin certainly has had double digit sack seasons...he will likely shine in Schwartz;s version of the 4-3. Graham had success in the 4-3 with very limited playing time.

At LB they are very fast and Bradham was a stud in Schwartz's version of the 4-3....Kendricks is much better suited to play the WILL in a 4-3. My only concern is Hicks staying healthy.

Rowe did show some improvement, but to me it's too small of a sample size to count on him. I view our cornerbacks similar to our WRs currently: a few 2-3s, but nobody I see as a #1, which makes those other guys look better.

I remember reading Barwin felt Cox was a big reason for his success 2 seasons ago. Hopefully he can return to Pro Bowl form as a 4-3 DE.

Still concerned with LB's consistency and depth.

I guess my frustration is that I do not see this as a top 10 defense and we need at least that to consider ourselves contenders. The scheme change could help but it could also take time to "gel". As far as players fitting a particular scheme, isn't Bennie Logan better suited as a 3-4 NT? Early in the season the front 7 was deemed the stronger portion of the d so I don't follow the argument that they fit a 4-3 better. Hopefully graham and curry will make me look silly...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (eagleaddict @ Mar 24 2016, 02:53 PM) *
Rowe did show some improvement, but to me it's too small of a sample size to count on him. I view our cornerbacks similar to our WRs currently: a few 2-3s, but nobody I see as a #1, which makes those other guys look better.

I remember reading Barwin felt Cox was a big reason for his success 2 seasons ago. Hopefully he can return to Pro Bowl form as a 4-3 DE.

Still concerned with LB's consistency and depth.

I guess my frustration is that I do not see this as a top 10 defense and we need at least that to consider ourselves contenders. The scheme change could help but it could also take time to "gel". As far as players fitting a particular scheme, isn't Bennie Logan better suited as a 3-4 NT? Early in the season the front 7 was deemed the stronger portion of the d so I don't follow the argument that they fit a 4-3 better. Hopefully graham and curry will make me look silly...

Concern about Barwin is justified.....I see him as a much, much better version of Babin. Rowe is not unlike virtually every good or great CB who has come into the league...they do not play a ton their rookie year and learn from it.

Logan is a 4-5 tackle...he is not really big enough to be a dominant NT in the 3-4 and yet he was....in Schwartz;s attack 4-3 he will be a beast...

Early in the season the Eagles secondary was terrible and Logan was healthy.....they fell apart when Logan got hurt.

That being said, virtually everyone on the D has played the 4-3 already and Schwartz's version is known for its simplicity.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2016, 03:20 PM) *
Concern about Barwin is justified.....I see him as a much, much better version of Babin. Rowe is not unlike virtually every good or great CB who has come into the league...they do not play a ton their rookie year and learn from it.

Logan is a 4-5 tackle...he is not really big enough to be a dominant NT in the 3-4 and yet he was....in Schwartz;s attack 4-3 he will be a beast...

Early in the season the Eagles secondary was terrible and Logan was healthy.....they fell apart when Logan got hurt.

That being said, virtually everyone on the D has played the 4-3 already and Schwartz's version is known for its simplicity.

That last sentence makes me feel better. I really hope you're right.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2016, 03:20 PM) *

That last sentence makes me feel better. I really hope you're right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.