Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reuben Randle signed
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Interesting, low risk signing. Nice size. Decent performance to date. Good job, FO.
Joegrane
What do you like about his performance to date? Maybe I just have not seen much of him.

My recollection of Randle over the years is that he more often helped us than hurt us.

Is that because he really wanted to be an Eagle or because he can't catch the ball?

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 23 2016, 04:14 PM) *
Interesting, low risk signing. Nice size. Decent performance to date. Good job, FO.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 23 2016, 06:07 PM) *
What do you like about his performance to date? Maybe I just have not seen much of him.

My recollection of Randle over the years is that he more often helped us than hurt us.

Is that because he really wanted to be an Eagle or because he can't catch the ball?

Seriously?

Have you seen his stats? He is not a stud no. 1 but he has not been horrible....he needs to be a bit mor consistent but for a 24 yr. old WR he has good numbers...great signing...

I do not recall him helping us....he had a few big games against us....
Zero
A lot of talent that he hasn't used yet. Let's hope GLew can get him focused, if so he can be a nice addition to the WR corps.
nephillymike
That would give us 5 WR + ST Ajirotutu if we sign him.

If nothing else, it should add some competition for the 2-4 WR spots.

Guessing this and Givens means they aren't going the draft route for a 1st round WR. sad.gif

Randle rated the 92nd best FA.

Was 58th in rec yds/game, which puts him bottom #2 WR type.

It can't hurt.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 23 2016, 10:12 PM) *
That would give us 5 WR + ST Ajirotutu if we sign him.

If nothing else, it should add some competition for the 2-4 WR spots.

Guessing this and Givens means they aren't going the draft route for a 1st round WR. sad.gif

Randle rated the 92nd best FA.

Was 58th in rec yds/game, which puts him bottom #2 WR type.

It can't hurt.

Probably but it could also mean a train ticket for Huff.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 24 2016, 05:11 AM) *

If it does, it means we still need another WR.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 24 2016, 06:43 AM) *
If it does, it means we still need another WR.

Kolby Listenbee? Not much there.
Joegrane
Why do you think that? He contributes on special teams, occasionally makes a play on O. He'd fit as the #5 WR, no? I suppose his 3rd round salary would be high for that roster spot, but they don't have any high priced WRs.

This group of WRs don't inspire shock and awe but look competent, unlike the group last year.

M Austin and R Cooper vs R Randle, Givens and no rookies.

Plus Huff might grow a bit under a new coach. Matthews and Ertz are no longer young players. They are now solid and established.

Most of them have developed a rapport with Sam B--assuming the Eagles don't trade up and then send Sam to Denver.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 24 2016, 05:11 AM) *
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 24 2016, 12:06 PM) *
Why do you think that? He contributes on special teams, occasionally makes a play on O. He'd fit as the #5 WR, no? I suppose his 3rd round salary would be high for that roster spot, but they don't have any high priced WRs.

This group of WRs don't inspire shock and awe but look competent, unlike the group last year.

M Austin and R Cooper vs R Randle, Givens and no rookies.

Plus Huff might grow a bit under a new coach. Matthews and Ertz are no longer young players. They are now solid and established.

Most of them have developed a rapport with Sam B--assuming the Eagles don't trade up and then send Sam to Denver.

You really make me scratch my head sometimes.....

You discount Randle as a guy who has done little or nothing and prop up Huff

I agree Huff has had a few good returns but as a WR he has 35 grabs in 2 seasons.....and that is with them trying to go to him....that is hard to do....
Joegrane
I can understand that you misunderstood me on that. I was not actually comparing them.

I don't like players who make mistakes, drop balls, miss assignments, draw penalties, etc. Actually both Randle and Huff are similar in those areas in my opinion. I'm not fond of either.

However, Huff has shown enough flashes to make me hopeful he'll improve somewhat under a better coach.

Randle has worked with Probowl receivers. Coughlin has a background as a WR coach. I assume Randle has had better coaching, worked with a better QB.

It is going to be tough to give labels to these receivers-- #1 through #5. There is probably no true #1 and no #5. I imagine they'll rotate the WRs. However I assume Randle will be higher than Huff.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2016, 12:05 PM) *
You really make me scratch my head sometimes.....

You discount Randle as a guy who has done little or nothing and prop up Huff

I agree Huff has had a few good returns but as a WR he has 35 grabs in 2 seasons.....and that is with them trying to go to him....that is hard to do....

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 24 2016, 02:44 PM) *
I can understand that you misunderstood me on that. I was not actually comparing them.

I don't like players who make mistakes, drop balls, miss assignments, draw penalties, etc. Actually both Randle and Huff are similar in those areas in my opinion. I'm not fond of either.

However, Huff has shown enough flashes to make me hopeful he'll improve somewhat under a better coach.

Randle has worked with Probowl receivers. Coughlin has a background as a WR coach. I assume Randle has had better coaching, worked with a better QB.

It is going to be tough to give labels to these receivers-- #1 through #5. There is probably no true #1 and no #5. I imagine they'll rotate the WRs. However I assume Randle will be higher than Huff.

The difference in Huff and Randle is that Randle still found a way to average 50 grabs and 800 yards and 5 TDs over his last 3 underachieving years....Did he learn to get hurt from Victor Cruz? Or perhaps he was taught by a rookie? Huff had Maclin, the consumate Pro.

Randle has had 2 penalties and no fumbles over the last 2 years.....and that is with being a big part of the Giants offense....unlike Huff.

He has a rep as being disinterested and that is not good and Eli does not like him which is why he is gone.

All that being said he is nothing like Huff who is nearly worthless and an immediate upgrade. If he gets his head right he is a huge upgrade but that is a big IF.
The Franchise
Good signing, plus we get a chunk of the Giants playbook. There's never a downside to signing a rival.
samaroo
I read somewhere that NY was glad to see him go, saying he caused a significant number of Eli's INTs. I'm pretty sure what I read was anecdotal, but there it is either way.

For the record, I see the signing as a positive.
mcnabbulous
Eli Manning has thrown 20+ interceptions three times in his career. Two of those occurred before Randle was his teammate. He threw 129 (16+/year) interceptions before Randle entered the league.

Eli sucks.
Phits
Randle has also had continuity at the QB position. The slack jawed yokel that has been throwing him passes is better than any QB we have had in the last 3 seasons.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 24 2016, 03:12 PM) *
The difference in Huff and Randle is that Randle still found a way to average 50 grabs and 800 yards and 5 TDs over his last 3 underachieving years....Did he learn to get hurt from Victor Cruz? Or perhaps he was taught by a rookie? Huff had Maclin, the consumate Pro.

Randle has had 2 penalties and no fumbles over the last 2 years.....and that is with being a big part of the Giants offense....unlike Huff.

He has a rep as being disinterested and that is not good and Eli does not like him which is why he is gone.

All that being said he is nothing like Huff who is nearly worthless and an immediate upgrade. If he gets his head right he is a huge upgrade but that is a big IF.

nephillymike
He's an upgrade over everyone we have except J. Matthews.

But then again, Rosie O'Donnell is an upgrade over Kathy Bates and Phyllis Dillar.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 26 2016, 01:13 PM) *
Randle has also had continuity at the QB position. The slack jawed yokel that has been throwing him passes is better than any QB we have had in the last 3 seasons.

Did that slack jawed yokel catch the ball for him? Watch some of his highlights and tell me about all the easy catches he made...or get a clue and tell me about all the shitty throws he made great catches on...and I guess Beckham has made a name for himself making ridiculous catches because that slack jawed yokel throws him really catchable balls but he tries to make every catch a circus catch.

I like Manning because he is gutsy, takes a beating and shows up in big games but there is no denying that he has had the benefit of some great WR play and plenty of incredible catches. Beyond that he is a career 59.3% completion guy. He has a better resume than Bradford but he is not leaps and bounds better.....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 26 2016, 01:54 PM) *
Did that slack jawed yokel catch the ball for him? Watch some of his highlights and tell me about all the easy catches he made...or get a clue and tell me about all the shitty throws he made great catches on...and I guess Beckham has made a name for himself making ridiculous catches because that slack jawed yokel throws him really catchable balls but he tries to make every catch a circus catch.

I like Manning because he is gutsy, takes a beating and shows up in big games but there is no denying that he has had the benefit of some great WR play and plenty of incredible catches. Beyond that he is a career 59.3% completion guy. He has a better resume than Bradford but he is not leaps and bounds better.....

Not once in all of the years watching Eagles Giants games was I concerned that Eli was QB against us.

Not once!
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 26 2016, 02:54 PM) *

Who cares about the circus catches?
- 2007 NFL Super Bowl MVP
- 2011 NFL Super Bowl MVP
Remind me again which one of these teams Beckham or Randle played for?

I don't care whether he is leaps and bounds better. I said he is better than any QB we have fielded in the last 3 years. Having a better resume than Bradford isn't that difficult, for a good QB. All you need is a .500 regular season record -or- durability -or- playoff win.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 26 2016, 10:16 PM) *
Who cares about the circus catches?
- 2007 NFL Super Bowl MVP
- 2011 NFL Super Bowl MVP
Remind me again which one of these teams Beckham or Randle played for?

I don't care whether he is leaps and bounds better. I said he is better than any QB we have fielded in the last 3 years. Having a better resume than Bradford isn't that difficult, for a good QB. All you need is a .500 regular season record -or- durability -or- playoff win.

One SB he earned it...the other he did not...David Tyree's circus catch (a term used frequently when describing Eli's highlights) was the reason why and the Giant's defense should have had that honor, not Eli...

Now on to your other ridiculous point...he had Burress(4 1000+ yd seasons) and Toomer(5 1000+ yard seasons) in 2007.
In 2011 he had Victor Cruz (Pro Bowl and 2 1000+ seasons) and Nicks (2 1000+ yd seasons)

In 4 years Bradford played with 1 WR who ever had a 1000 yard season in their career.....and that was Steve Smith who had 1.(Ironically with Eli)

Hopefully that reminds you.....

You are right.it is not hard to have a better resume that Bradford but Manning's is one born of health and circumstance. Bradford's is one of the bad luck of getting drafted by a shitty organization.

I do concede that Manning has had some clutch performances.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 26 2016, 10:37 PM) *
David Tyree's circus catch (a term used frequently when describing Eli's highlights) was the reason why and the Giant's defense should have had that honor, not Eli...

Fourth quarter....down by 4 ... 3rd and 5 ... 1:06 left in the SB

Yeah, that was all David Tyree huh.gif

Speaking of ridiculous
...he had Burress(4 1000+ yd seasons)

Plaxico had 4 x 1000+ yard seasons
PIT: 2001, 2002
NYG: 2005, 2007

Toomer(5 1000+ yard seasons) in 2007.

Toomer was done by the time Eli came around....he never had a 1000 yard season playing with Eli

In 2011 he had Victor Cruz (Pro Bowl and 2 1000+ seasons) and Nicks (2 1000+ yd seasons)

I guess this is where you start stretching and reaching to make your argument. Here's a counter for your stupid 1000 yard receiving stats: 2007 Kevin Curtis had 1100 receiving yards. 2011 & 2012 Brian Hartline had back to back 1000+ yards receiving. In other words, one or two 1000 yard seasons doesn't make a receiver great. Much like Curtis neither Hicks or Cruz were able to maintain a consistent level of play; either because of injury or they just weren't good enough.

In 4 years Bradford played with 1 WR who ever had a 1000 yard season in their career.....and that was Steve Smith who had 1.(Ironically with Eli)

Ironic isn't it? I guess that's part of being a leader; the ability to get the most out of your teammates, when it matters most.

Here's a fun fact for you, only two SB champions from 2001 - 2006 had a 1000 yard receiver:
- 2001 Troy Brown - NE (the only 1000 yard season of his career)
- 2002 Keyshawn Johnson - TB

You are right.it is not hard to have a better resume that Bradford but Manning's is one born of health and circumstance. Bradford's is one of the bad luck of getting drafted by a shitty organization.

Face it, Bradford is just not that good. That's his bad luck. His good luck is that he has a great agent and/or management team. They have been able to fleece two different organizations out of a bucket load of cash, strictly based off of his potential.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 26 2016, 11:53 PM) *
Fourth quarter....down by 4 ... 3rd and 5 ... 1:06 left in the SB

Yeah, that was all David Tyree huh.gif

Speaking of ridiculous

Plaxico had 4 x 1000+ yard seasons
PIT: 2001, 2002
NYG: 2005, 2007

Toomer was done by the time Eli came around....he never had a 1000 yard season playing with Eli

I guess this is where you start stretching and reaching to make your argument. Here's a counter for your stupid 1000 yard receiving stats: 2007 Kevin Curtis had 1100 receiving yards. 2011 & 2012 Brian Hartline had back to back 1000+ yards receiving. In other words, one or two 1000 yard seasons doesn't make a receiver great. Much like Curtis neither Hicks or Cruz were able to maintain a consistent level of play; either because of injury or they just weren't good enough.

Ironic isn't it? I guess that's part of being a leader; the ability to get the most out of your teammates, when it matters most.

Here's a fun fact for you, only two SB champions from 2001 - 2006 had a 1000 yard receiver:
- 2001 Troy Brown - NE (the only 1000 yard season of his career)
- 2002 Keyshawn Johnson - TB

Face it, Bradford is just not that good. That's his bad luck. His good luck is that he has a great agent and/or management team. They have been able to fleece two different organizations out of a bucket load of cash, strictly based off of his potential.

Ok..I have been relatively nice but it is late and I am tired so fuck it...if you think that catch was not all Tyree than you are a fucking idiot...Manning eluded a lot of traffic and should have been sacked..I give him that...but he never should have thrown the ball at all..it should have been oicked and Tyree made a ridiculous catch with defender all over him AND the ball and made the catch by pinning to his helmet in mid air and going to the ground with it...if you think that Eli threw a good pass athan you are beyond stupid.

Now on to the rest...

I am not saying that Bradford did not have a 1000 yard receiver in any year he played you moron...I am saying he never had a WR (other than Smith) who ever had a 1000 yard season in their career with him or any team they played for...do you get that? No one he played with at WR (other than Smith)had one before him, with him or after him on any team they played on....do you get that or are you too daft to understand? Is that a reach or is it fact....

and since you cherry picked SB year from a decade ago germaine to neither of the QBs we discussed let look..

The Bronces 2015 2 1000 yard WRs
Pats 2014....Gronk is used like a WR and has over 1000 Edelman just misses it with 972
Seattle 2013 wins with defense but I concede they had none 2 with high 800
Ravens,2012 another defensive team but have none though 2 with 900
Giants 2011 Cruz and Hicks
Pack 2010...Greg Jennings
Saints 2009 Colston
Steelers 2008 Ward
Giants 2007 Burress
Colts 2006 Harrison and Wayne
Steelers 2005 Ward missed a game and had 975
Pat 2004 none
Pats 2003 none and now I understand why you chose this time frame you silly fraud
Bucs 2002 Keyshawn
Pats 2001 Troy Brown - who had nearly 1000 the year before and was hyrt for multiple games virtually every other year he played.

Fuck I hate stupidity...

somehow you think any QB can or should make a WR great or even good...

Bradford may not do anything here...I concede that... unlike morons like you who are routinely wrong ...yet constantly issue these idiotic blanket statements with no wriggle room as if they "know". but last season was not a bad thing for him...he looked very good with a shaky offense and bad coaching...maybe he is not going to do much but only an idiot would suggest that the Rams did anything to help him succeed or that he does not have the chance to do that here..

That felt great
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 27 2016, 01:18 AM) *
Ok..I have been relatively nice but it is late and I am tired so fuck it...if you think that catch was not all Tyree than you are a fucking idiot...Manning eluded a lot of traffic and should have been sacked..I give him that...but he never should have thrown the ball at all..it should have been oicked and Tyree made a ridiculous catch with defender all over him AND the ball and made the catch by pinning to his helmet in mid air and going to the ground with it...if you think that Eli threw a good pass athan you are beyond stupid.

Yep. You are a fool. I suppose McNabb shouldn't have thrown that Hail Mary to FredEx (4th & 26) or the 14s scramble. Watch the replay dummy, it was a good throw and a great catch. Bottom line, Eli has done more in his career than Bradford and if Eli is a bad QB, that makes Bradford a really shitty one.

Now on to the rest...

I am not saying that Bradford did not have a 1000 yard receiver in any year he played you moron...I am saying he never had a WR (other than Smith) who ever had a 1000 yard season in their career with him or any team they played for...do you get that? No one he played with at WR (other than Smith)had one before him, with him or after him on any team they played on....do you get that or are you too daft to understand? Is that a reach or is it fact....

My point was that the 1000 yard plateau is arbitrary and has no relevance in a QB's ability to win games. how many 1000 yard receivers did McNabb have? I'll help you out "3". Did you know that James Thrash almost had 1000 yards receiving, playing with McNabb...same with Pinkston. He seemed to have helped two shitty receivers have a couple of productive seasons.

and since you cherry picked SB year from a decade ago germaine to neither of the QBs we discussed let look..

blah blah blah ... 1000 yard receiving is an arbitrary stat.

Fuck I hate stupidity...

That explains why you're so angry all of the time. Must be hard to look int he mirror.

Bradford may not do anything here...I concede that... unlike morons like you who are routinely wrong ...yet constantly issue these idiotic blanket statements with no wriggle room as if they "know".

You want faith? Go to church. Bradford hasn't done anything in his, entire career to suggest he is anything but a bust. Maybe he will turn things around, I am not confident in his ability to do so. You can keep believing. I hope you're right, but based on your history that isn't likely.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 27 2016, 10:01 PM) *
Yep. You are a fool. I suppose McNabb shouldn't have thrown that Hail Mary to FredEx (4th & 26) or the 14s scramble. Watch the replay dummy, it was a good throw and a great catch. Bottom line, Eli has done more in his career than Bradford and if Eli is a bad QB, that makes Bradford a really shitty one.

My point was that the 1000 yard plateau is arbitrary and has no relevance in a QB's ability to win games. how many 1000 yard receivers did McNabb have? I'll help you out "3". Did you know that James Thrash almost had 1000 yards receiving, playing with McNabb...same with Pinkston. He seemed to have helped two shitty receivers have a couple of productive seasons.

blah blah blah ... 1000 yard receiving is an arbitrary stat.

That explains why you're so angry all of the time. Must be hard to look int he mirror.

You want faith? Go to church. Bradford hasn't done anything in his, entire career to suggest he is anything but a bust. Maybe he will turn things around, I am not confident in his ability to do so. You can keep believing. I hope you're right, but based on your history that isn't likely.

My history? that is rich...

First...in typical douche bag fashion so often found in your posts you screw up in the descrption of Mannings throw....it should have been a good throw...it wasn't unless your WRs are supposed to make a contected catch at a full leap with your feet 30" off the ground. I realize in your fucked up world that is a great throw but in the real world manning made a great escape, planted his feet and threw a high pass into traffic...watch the replay idiot....Tyree's helmet catch is not a highlight for the trow....they don't call it the helmet throw idiot...

ANd Manning has had a great career....but he also had the benefit of playing for a great organization or in your fucked up world is the Rams organization on par with the Giants in the last decade?

Now as far as the 1000 yard WRs....again, you can discount it as arbitrary because it makes you look like the iriot you are but lets look ay McNabbs WRs that had 100 yard seasons on their resume
Charles Johnson
Antonio Freeman
Terrell Owens
Kevin Curtis
Desean Jackson
And now Maclin...

Maybe you are too stupid to understand the concept....Bradford has played with 1 WR that ever had a 1000 yard season in his career....ever...

I love how a stat is arbitrary to you when it makes you look stupid but it is what gets a WR paid in the NFL. You really are a joke...

and the only time I am angry is when I debate a point with someone incapable of understanding what hey are discussing and then use the "no it isn't " debate technique while ignoring facts..

It is funny that you finish conceding that "He may do something"...well no shit....that is what I said...I don't know if he is going to be good...he looks like the real deal but he played for a terrible team with terrible coaching and the results were what you would expect...I pointed out that his talent was always subpar with him or with any other QB or team they ever played on.

He may very well suck this year but he earned the chance to prove it one way or the other.

And trust me...I love to look in the mirror...I look good...I will concede one thing....with Mikey and even Nabby...we bust each others balls but genrally laugh about it....with you...not much joking...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.