Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles front office was a dysfunctional mess
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Chip Kelly said that he didn't have any contact with Howie Roseman last year even though Roseman was in charge of the cap.

Kelly would identify players he wanted, relayed it to Roseman (through Marynowitz) without command of financial implications.

I still don't understand how Howie escaped the executioner's axe. Maybe he's Lurie's illegitimate son?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 23 2016, 04:49 PM) *
I still don't understand how Howie escaped the executioner's axe. Maybe he's Lurie's illegitimate son?

yea just about

think on this...coming in a year or so out of college, Lurie let Roseman rise from a friggin intern to the top of his football empire in just over a decade (Roseman helped Lurie pick Kelly). Lurie sent Banner, his friend of more than 40years, packing when he and Howie were butting heads. even when it was clear in other situations that Howie was the problem, Lurie defended his golden boy.

Roseman is Lurie's pet project. other league execs don't respect Howie due to his background, but Lurie knows better. Lurie will never give up on Howie because he wants to taste that sweet nectar of 'I told you so' when Roseman builds a superbowl winner.

oh well...go birds.
eagleaddict
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Mar 23 2016, 04:38 PM) *
yea just about

think on this...coming in a year or so out of college, Lurie let Roseman rise from a friggin intern to the top of his football empire in just over a decade (Roseman helped Lurie pick Kelly). Lurie sent Banner, his friend of more than 40years, packing when he and Howie were butting heads. even when it was clear in other situations that Howie was the problem, Lurie defended his golden boy.

Roseman is Lurie's pet project. other league execs don't respect Howie due to his background, but Lurie knows better. Lurie will never give up on Howie because he wants to taste that sweet nectar of 'I told you so' when Roseman builds a superbowl winner.

oh well...go birds.

Maybe he too had a neato notebook.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 23 2016, 08:49 PM) *

And why didn't Kelly speak to Roseman directly?

This sounds more like Kelly hitting back at the suggestion that he had full control and fucked it up by claiming the cap problems that Roseman has been jettisoning weren't his fault.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 23 2016, 07:56 PM) *
And why didn't Kelly speak to Roseman directly?

This sounds more like Kelly hitting back at the suggestion that he had full control and fucked it up by claiming the cap problems that Roseman has been jettisoning weren't his fault.

Yeah, it does sound like Kelly is hitting back but it could just as easily have been Howie planning the whole thing to get rid of Kelly. At this point it's really a matter of "who cares" and "so what." It's rearview mirror stuff that doesn't mean anything unless Howie screws the pooch.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 24 2016, 12:00 AM) *
Yeah, it does sound like Kelly is hitting back but it could just as easily have been Howie planning the whole thing to get rid of Kelly. At this point it's really a matter of "who cares" and "so what." It's rearview mirror stuff that doesn't mean anything unless Howie screws the pooch.

It's a little Machiavellian to suggest that Roseman overpaid for the players that Kelly wanted (but couldn't then get to perform) just so that his sugar daddy would fire Kelly.

I think it's more likely that Kelly never got his head round the cap and told Roseman to sign the players anyway.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 23 2016, 08:02 PM) *
It's a little Machiavellian ...

That's the point.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2016, 08:00 PM) *

It begs to question whether Howie is the weasel that his reputation suggests.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 23 2016, 08:02 PM) *
It's a little Machiavellian to suggest that Roseman overpaid for the players that Kelly wanted (but couldn't then get to perform) just so that his sugar daddy would fire Kelly.

I think it's more likely that Kelly never got his head round the cap and told Roseman to sign the players anyway.

Howie would simply "do as he is told", since he wasn't in control of personnel. It seems to have been a power struggle. Howie was merely biding his time. His longevity was assured by his ability to retain a front office position after Chip took over his player related duties.
nephillymike
This is all on Jeffrey.

As evident from the time at the end of the 2014 season when people asked if Howie would stay and he replied that it was a ridiculous question only to "demote" him days later; the guy didn't have a clue.

There are stories that go back years about how dysfunctional the FO has been. That falls on Jeffrey.

Sadly, listening to him babble yesterday didn't do much to inspire confidence in his epiphany.

I think Chip is full of shit for the most part. I'm glad he got fired after saying he was not the GM last year.

However, remember Howie had a well earned reputation of insecurity and back stabbing and not playing well with others before Chip got here.

But in Chip's defense, imagine you win a power struggle after Howie over steps his perceived boundaries and fires Gamble.

Instead of demoting him, they give him a raise and a promotion on paper. sure it wasn't a promotion per se, but the raise was an indication that he wasn't going anywhere. THEN..................you hear the owner sends Howie around the world on a company paid research project to go meet with all type of organizations to find out how the Director of Sports Operations do things in other successful organizations. And when he's done the field study and returns with all of this knowledge, he is all ready to be a real successful director of football operations, for real this time. What has to happen to make that happen? Chip has got to be fired. Now how would you feel if you were Chip? Dead man walking?? Maybe.

It's not an outrage cause Chip is full of shit.

But I can see why anyone with a brain would feel a certain way.

Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.
mcnabbulous
I haven't read past your first line, Mikey -- but I've got to agree.
samaroo
This shit sucks. I can't even make fun of the Cowboys or Redskins anymore with a clear conscience. It's grown from rumblings of a problem to ridiculousness in the last several years. This would all be just as believable if all the names were changed to "Kardashian."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.