Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assuming they stay at 8
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
What's their thinking when deciding who to take at 8? Is it pure talent? I'd think it would be pretty hard to decide who'll have more impact in his career between the handful of players available when they pick and I don't really think it'll be "need" after what they did to try to fill the glaring roster holes in FA.

This is the reason for not trading out of 8 - drafting the "transcendent" player to define the team beyond 2016. They're not a SB team this year, and it's the stars, the difference-makers, the "playmakers" who take a team over the top. It takes more than quality starters to win the SB and hopefully the Eagles won't be drafting this early again any time soon.

If it's me, I'm thinking about how I want to shape the team, how they'll win games and where I want the strengths. Their first choice will be to define the team ... capable offense and shut down defense or a high octane offense and average-to-above-average defense to keep them in games? Who they pick will answer that question. Bosa, Jack, Buckner or Hargreaves? Wentz, Goff, Elliot or Coleman/Treadwell? Who will be that special player who we want to step up in a critical situation to make the difference?

The three third rounders (I'm considering the Murray fourth as a late third) should yield quality starters. That first pick at 8 needs to be a special player, a defining player. Will the Eagles become a DEFENSE team or a SCORING machine?

After Kelly, my guess is defense, BFPA.
mcnabbulous
The way I look at the early first round is acquiring difficult to acquire talent. From my perspective, there are two positions that we have consistently struggled to fill. QB and CB.

Our last strong QB selection was 1999. Our last really strong CB selection was 2002. We have had success filling almost every other position from various draft positions and even the occasional free agent signing.

I think we should pull the trigger on one of those two positions.
nd9kel
Bradford's shoulder got banged up because a DL was draped around him in the pocket. If he's not out those two games I don't think it's wild to believe we MIGHT have been in the playoffs. No, we weren't a Super Bowl team, but please get that O-Line right.
mcnabbulous
He injured his shoulder in college when playing for one of the best offenses (with a more than capable OL). Sam's issues aren't confined to the OL play in Philly last year.

It's hard to feel confident in his ability to stay healthy, under any circumstances.
nd9kel
That was a different shoulder diphead. Again, an unblocked BYU player came through untouched and drove him into the ground on the RIGHT shoulder. Any human being would have had an injury. And how's that RIGHT shoulder doing now Einstein? The internet makes you look pretty ingnorant.
Phits
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Mar 22 2016, 02:28 PM) *
That was a different shoulder diphead. Again, an unblocked BYU player came through untouched and drove him into the ground on the RIGHT shoulder. Any human being would have had an injury. And how's that RIGHT shoulder doing now Einstein? The internet makes you look pretty ingnorant.

So what you're Day ng is that he has two bum shoulders?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 22 2016, 12:40 PM) *
So what you're Day ng is that he has two bum shoulders?

laugh.gif

Seriously. The guy has been injured throughout his career.

Admittedly, if I took the hits this guy was taking, my body would fall apart. I've broken my arms/wrists 7 times in my life. Have broken both collarbones. Have fractured my skull. I don't think I could make it as an NFL QB.

Some bodies aren't built to take those kinds of beatings. Sam's doesn't pass the eyeball test on that one. It's a real, valid concern.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 22 2016, 02:57 PM) *
laugh.gif

Seriously. The guy has been injured throughout his career.

Admittedly, if I took the hits this guy was taking, my body would fall apart. I've broken my arms/wrists 7 times in my life. Have broken both collarbones. Have fractured my skull. I don't think I could make it as an NFL QB.

Some bodies aren't built to take those kinds of beatings. Sam's doesn't pass the eyeball test on that one. It's a real, valid concern.

Dude....drink some milk...like every day....you are seriously fragile...lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 22 2016, 02:34 PM) *
Dude....drink some milk...like every day....you are seriously fragile...lol

Fortunately it was mostly in my childhood/early teen years, but I have wrist issues to this day (as you can imagine).
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 22 2016, 06:53 PM) *
Fortunately it was mostly in my childhood/early teen years, but I have wrist issues to this day (as you can imagine).

Considering you are about to be a father you better clear up those wrist issues.....you are going to need it for a little bit....lolol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 22 2016, 05:22 PM) *
Considering you are about to be a father you better clear up those wrist issues.....you are going to need it for a little bit....lolol

Excellent stuff.
samaroo
Z, I agree. If our picks stay as-is, there's a long time between our first two picks. So, we have one good ticket, a couple of maybes and some long-shots. We need to make the first one win. I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to make sure we get that playmaker you're talking about (for me, that's Wentz.)

Howie said they see 10 can't miss guys, and that's why they traded up. I think there's a lesser drop off before we pick. Tunsil, Jack, Ramsay, Elliot and Wentz seem to be better than the rest, to my eyes. And they will all probably be gone by 8, except for maybe Elliot.
mcnabbulous
You don't think Bosa is in that upper tier? I think he and Ramsey are possibly the two best players in the class.
Zero
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 22 2016, 07:55 PM) *
Z, I agree. If our picks stay as-is, there's a long time between our first two picks. So, we have one good ticket, a couple of maybes and some long-shots. We need to make the first one win. I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to make sure we get that playmaker you're talking about (for me, that's Wentz.)

Howie said they see 10 can't miss guys, and that's why they traded up. I think there's a lesser drop off before we pick. Tunsil, Jack, Ramsay, Elliot and Wentz seem to be better than the rest, to my eyes. And they will all probably be gone by 8, except for maybe Elliot.

Just to be clear, we can't believe anything anyone says this time of year. This is the biggest game of chess outside of FIDE. wink.gif
nd9kel
I'd say any QB in the NFL is "injury prone" by the definition of it you guys seem to lay on Bradford. Any QB who spends significant time as a starter misses games on a seasonal basis. Doesn't Palmer play at AZ despite two ACL's himself? How many games did wonderboy at Indianapolis miss last year? Heck, the Super Bowl winner was out for multiple games this year. Big, strong Ben goes down every year.

I don't think Philly fans appreciate how tough Bradford is to come back, repeatedly...like the elites of the league. Anyway, Pederson says Sam's best years are ahead of him. Doesn't sound like the staff is concerned.
mcnabbulous
I get it, buddy. Sam is a perfect angel descended from the gods.

But the SB winning QB you mentioned was old as fuck and has been historically healthy. Brady and Wilson are a few other good ones that haven't had many problems. Favre obviously fit the criteria. Big Ben's style of play definitely doesn't facilitate staying healthy though.

I would hope Sam's best ball is ahead of him, because he's been pretty mediocre to date. I want him to succeed. He's the QB of a team I spend way too much time thinking about. But he's yet to give me any reason to believe he will be able to get it done.

And no one has questioned his toughness.
Reality Fan
Manning was historically healthy because he ran his own offense which was a quick throw offense where he was ahrdly hit all season....the Colts routinely gave up few sacks. Much of that was on Manning and his talent.

Brady is a great example of durability...Wilson is only 4 years in but he is doing well....

After that there are plenty of QBs who have missed time but stayed mostly upright....Palmer certainly, thought he has plenty of 16 game seasons to go with the 3 he was injured in. Rodgers has been generally healthy. Brees as well. McNabb had his share of injuries though.

I like Sam but he has a ways to go to prove he is able to stay on the field.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2016, 01:15 PM) *
Manning was historically healthy because he ran his own offense which was a quick throw offense where he was ahrdly hit all season....the Colts routinely gave up few sacks. Much of that was on Manning and his talent.

No doubt. Unlike anything I've ever seen or expect to see again.
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 23 2016, 09:24 PM) *
Just to be clear, we can't believe anything anyone says this time of year. This is the biggest game of chess outside of FIDE. wink.gif

I know. But it makes sense. At least, it does to me.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 24 2016, 04:25 AM) *
No doubt. Unlike anything I've ever seen or expect to see again.

Maybe Marino. He was like that.

Re: Bosa. He looks good, but I have a real hard time "evaluating*" OSU guys. They dominate their schedule most years, and have a high bust rate, it seems to me. He seems good, but Tunsil, Ramsay and Jack seem like they're on another level than everybody else. Also, we really don't need a DE, not at 8.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.