Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 10 Rushers by round
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
Csnphilly had an interesting article on draft slot of Top 10 rushers.
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/ro...d-earlier-draft

However, I think that is almost irrelevant for a West Coast offense.

I also would like to see the number of playoff wins and draft slot. For example, how many playoff wins does Pederson have?

How many of the teams in the conference championship games over the past ten years have had Top 10 rushers?

The results of that question will likely be much different than for Top 10 QBs.
samaroo
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 22 2016, 12:13 PM) *
Csnphilly had an interesting article on draft slot of Top 10 rushers.
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/ro...d-earlier-draft

However, I think that is almost irrelevant for a West Coast offense.

I also would like to see the number of playoff wins and draft slot. For example, how many playoff wins does Pederson have?

How many of the teams in the conference championship games over the past ten years have had Top 10 rushers?

The results of that question will likely be much different than for Top 10 QBs.

I agree that QB is definitely a more important and impactful position, but judging a RB by playoff wins seems a bit reductive. Barry Sanders sucks, I guess?

Good teams are good. Good teams with outstanding players are better, whether that's RB or WR or whatever. Would anyone here be upset if we had AP on our team? I wouldn't.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (samaroo @ Mar 22 2016, 02:59 AM) *
I agree that QB is definitely a more important and impactful position, but judging a RB by playoff wins seems a bit reductive. Barry Sanders sucks, I guess?

Good teams are good. Good teams with outstanding players are better, whether that's RB or WR or whatever. Would anyone here be upset if we had AP on our team? I wouldn't.

I don't think he is saying that Barry Sanders sucks, not sure where you would draw that conclusion. I think the point is, and I agree with it, that the top 10 rushers do not play for the best teams which is indicative of why the RB is overvalued. The top teams do not draft RBs high, they go for impact players at other positions and fill in the RB position.

Last year 3 of the top 10 RBs played for playoff teams and only 1 made it out of the divisional round.
in 2014 5 of the top 10 were on playoff teams and only 1 made it out of the divisional round.

The best teams rarely invest high draft picks on RBs...they either get one is later rounds or go FA.
Joegrane
Yes, that is my point. I liked watching B Sanders, L McCoy, etc. However, I'd *love* to see the Eagles win the SB! Would a Top 10 RB help more than a Top 10 QB, L OT, shut down CB, edge rusher, etc? Or would trading down for another 3rd or 4th round pick help more considering their current needs and talent in this draft?

[quote name='Reality Fan' date='Mar 22 2016, 03:53 AM' post='285343']
I don't think he is saying that Barry Sanders sucks, not sure where you would draw that conclusion. I think the point is, and I agree with it, that the top 10 rushers do not play for the best teams which is indicative of why the RB is overvalued. The top teams do not draft RBs high, they go for impact players at other positions and fill in the RB position.

Last year 3 of the top 10 RBs played for playoff teams and only 1 made it out of the divisional round.
in 2014 5 of the top 10 were on playoff teams and only 1 made it out of the divisional round.

The best teams rarely invest high draft picks on RBs...they either get one is later rounds or go FA./quote]
samaroo
I got your point. And I agree that RB isn't our biggest need, I was just saying that impact players make an impact, regardless of position. Scheme matters, and play selection matters, but a lot of the time it comes down to winning 1-on-1 matchups. If your team does more of that more often, that leads to wins. Your QB has the opportunity (and is in the position) to win or lose 1-on-1's more often than other players, so he's more important. But a RB can make as much of an impact as a WR or a TE or a OL. That's all I'm saying.

I want the Eagles to win a SB as well. I want them to draft our franchise QB. If that's available at pick 8, I say take him. If not, I say go BPA. I also say that BPA may be a RB sometimes. And if I had to choose between a potential difference-maker RB or a potential average starter OL, I'll take the RB.

The Barry Sanders comment was in regards to when you said: "For example, how many playoff wins does Pederson have?" Like I said, I don't think judging a RB (or really any position) by playoff wins is meaningful. There are lots of all-time great players that played for bad teams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.