Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coaches to be allowed to challenge everything?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
This year, the Bills have formally proposed a rule that would permit coaches to use the red flag to challenge all calls on the field, with the exception of scoring plays and turnovers (which currently are subject to automatic review).

The ability of the coach to challenge plays would encompass anything and everything, including so-called judgment calls, like pass interference. Basically, whenever indisputable visual evidence exists to show that a ruling on the field was incorrect, a coach would have the ability twice per game (and three times if successful on the first two) to throw the red flag and challenge anything.

Linc
Rick
I like it.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 17 2016, 05:09 PM) *
I like it.

Wow, Andy Reid is never going to enter halftime with challenges left ever again. laugh.gif
nephillymike
I like it too!
Zero
I'm not a fan. Rule changes that protect players like the concussion rules, etc. I get. I don't understand why the most successful sports league feels the need to keep changing things. Bitching has always been part of sports and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to take that away. wink.gif

Look at some of these other things. Mostly, teams are trying to eliminate ways they had been beaten. Just have better coaching and better players.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 20 2016, 09:38 AM) *
I'm not a fan. Rule changes that protect players like the concussion rules, etc. I get. I don't understand why the most successful sports league feels the need to keep changing things. Bitching has always been part of sports and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing to take that away. wink.gif

Look at some of these other things. Mostly, teams are trying to eliminate ways they had been beaten. Just have better coaching and better players.

Because it's 2016 and all sports are covered all over from every angle. There is no reason teams should be penalized by missed calls. I'd rather know that my team lost because they weren't good enough than to lose because of a blown call.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 20 2016, 03:04 PM) *
Because it's 2016 and all sports are covered all over from every angle. There is no reason teams should be penalized by missed calls. I'd rather know that my team lost because they weren't good enough than to lose because of a blown call.

Yes I agree.

As long as they don't give extra challenges to pro long the game any more.

Why should a 50 yd pass interference not be reviewable but whether or not a ball is bad spotted by 1/2 yard?
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 20 2016, 08:47 PM) *
Yes I agree.

As long as they don't give extra challenges to pro long the game any more.

Why should a 50 yd pass interference not be reviewable but whether or not a ball is bad spotted by 1/2 yard?

The only problem is that pass interference is much more of a judgement call than the spot of the ball. The officials can still get both wrong, but it will be that much harder to find indisputable evidence to overturn the non-PI call. Still worth giving the coach the opportunity to try though.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 20 2016, 09:38 AM) *

I'm with you.

I can just see it now.

3rd and 30 to go for a first down.

I'm calling a pass play and sending every eligible player downfield, and then after throwing the challenge flag, I'll just pick one of them --- more than likely I could pick any one of them --- where there was illegal contact/touching 5 yards after the LOS by the defender, and since it isn't a judgement call at that point, then...

5 YARD PENALTY, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN!!! (cowturds ball at the Eagles' 35 mad.gif)

That is just the first one I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

I think it would be a HORRIBLE rule change. Therefore, I am expecting the idiots to give it serious consideration.
Rick
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Mar 20 2016, 06:35 PM) *
I'm with you.

I can just see it now.

3rd and 30 to go for a first down.

I'm calling a pass play and sending every eligible player downfield, and then after throwing the challenge flag, I'll just pick one of them --- more than likely I could pick any one of them --- where there was illegal contact/touching 5 yards after the LOS by the defender, and since it isn't a judgement call at that point, then...

5 YARD PENALTY, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN!!! (cowturds ball at the Eagles' 35 mad.gif)

That is just the first one I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

I think it would be a HORRIBLE rule change. Therefore, I am expecting the idiots to give it serious consideration.

This is something I have believed should be looked at. I don't believe every defensive penalty like this should result in an automatic first down. I don't know what they could do but it has gotten ridiculous.

But I still say coaches should be able to challenge more plays. Again, you shouldn't lose because of a bad call in 2016. But I also believe other rules should be changed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.