Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #8 ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Would you be happy/disappointed if the Eagles were to draft any of these players?
Laremy Tunsil OT
Jalen Ramsey FS
Joey Bosa DE
Myles Jack OLB
Jared Goff QB
DeForest Buckner DE
Carson Wentz QB
Ezekiel Elliott RB
Ronnie Stanley OT
Vernon Hargreaves III CB
Laquon Treadwell WR
Other than Tunsil, it seems most any one of these guys have a chance of dropping to #8. I'd be happy with any one of them, even if it means napping through round 2.
mcnabbulous
I don't think Ramsey or Bosa have any chance of falling to 8 either. I would be disappointed with Stanley or Elliott.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 15 2016, 08:36 AM) *
I don't think Ramsey or Bosa have any chance of falling to 8 either. I would be disappointed with Stanley or Elliott.

It does not look good for Hack now.....how are you coping?

If Houston takes him it will be very late round.....
Phits
Seems like we are trying to build a very tough aggressive defense, so a defensive piece makes sense to me (Ramsay, Bosa, Hargeaves or Jack). Of course my top choice would be a QB.

I would be very disappointed with a RB...even as talented and NFL ready as Elliott is rumored to be.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 15 2016, 08:26 AM) *

I'll sleep fine either way, but Osweiler is basically on a two year deal in Houston. It doesn't seem like they would draft a guy in the first round, but someone will take Hack in the first two.
JeeQ
Ezekiel Elliott is a fucking beast... Kid won't even be 21 till he's in training camp
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 15 2016, 12:17 PM) *
Ezekiel Elliott is a fucking beast... Kid won't even be 21 till he's in training camp

I don't have high value for the RB position. Even if he is a beast, I believe that you can achieve the same level of production with 2 quality backs. It also mitigates the risk for injury.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 15 2016, 10:23 AM) *
I don't have high value for the RB position. Even if he is a beast, I believe that you can achieve the same level of production with 2 quality backs. It also mitigates the risk for injury.

In addition to the position being commoditized, Elliott played for, by far, the most talented team in his conference in a spread offense that opponents simply couldn't match up with.

I have no doubt he's extremely talented, but his situation was incredibly advantageous.
Reality Fan
Completely agree with both of you....RB is just not a position you draft first round and certainly not early int he first round.

The drop off with the young guys from the elite to the above average is just not that severe and there are a ton of above average guys....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 15 2016, 11:23 AM) *

Agree
Rick
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Mar 15 2016, 11:17 AM) *

I really hope they don't use their 1st round pick on him. Too many very good backs out there. Eagles aren't really hurting all that much at back (IMO) right now. Also, average career of a back is quite short.

Seems like a waste to use it on a 1st rounder.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 16 2016, 06:03 AM) *
I really hope they don't use their 1st round pick on him. Too many very good backs out there. Eagles aren't really hurting all that much at back (IMO) right now. Also, average career of a back is quite short.

Seems like a waste to use it on a 1st rounder.

I think that Zeke is almost a generational back. I wouldn't be upset if the Eagles drafted him at #8

Having said that, I'd rather have:
1. Laremy Tunsil OT
2. DeForest Buckner DE
3. Myles Jack OLB
4. Ezekiel Elliott RB
5, Carson Wentz QB

Sometimes I think that when you're in a position to draft talent, you should. I'd still rather have had Reggie then all of those draft picks we got for him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 16 2016, 07:52 PM) *
I think that Zeke is almost a generational back

Man, I think there are two or three guys in college that might actually be better than him.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 16 2016, 09:59 PM) *
Man, I think there are two or three guys in college that might actually be better than him.

ok, maybe you're right, I didn't see every running back. Who do you say is better?
Eagle2720
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 16 2016, 09:05 PM) *
ok, maybe you're right, I didn't see every running back. Who do you say is better?

Next year Chubb, Fournette, Cook are 3 of the big name guys that are projected to leave, also McCaffrey who's like a Swiss Army knife and can do it all. Probably plenty of other under the radar talents that will get more hype when the season starts.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 16 2016, 08:05 PM) *

I don't get to see them all either, but there is some really impressive talent at the position right now.

Fournette at LSU is the obvious one. McCaffery has just unbelievable quickness and agility. He's a matchup nightmare. As a true freshman, Barkley at PSU looked every bit the part in their matchup.

Chubb from Georgia is really good, too. Although he took a nasty knee injury this year.

Elliott is definitely good, but the position itself is just regularly loaded. Trent Richardson and McFadden are a couple of recent examples of awesome talent that high picks were wasted on.

mcnabbulous
Yeah I didn't even mention Cook. He's ridiculous. I've seen him in person twice. His speed is crazy.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 16 2016, 10:21 PM) *
I don't get to see them all either, but there is some really impressive talent at the position right now.

Fournette at LSU is the obvious one. McCaffery has just unbelievable quickness and agility. He's a matchup nightmare. As a true freshman, Barkley at PSU looked every bit the part in their matchup.

Chubb from Georgia is really good, too. Although he took a nasty knee injury this year.

Elliott is definitely good, but the position itself is just regularly loaded. Trent Richardson and McFadden are a couple of recent examples of awesome talent that high picks were wasted on.

Think we'll be in position to draft them next year?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 17 2016, 09:08 AM) *
Think we'll be in position to draft them next year?

Probably. This year's RB class is pretty weak, but I assume we will take a shot on a mid or late round guy. I could see us going after someone like Keith Marshall. Tons of athletic ability, was a major recruit, but got beaten out by Gurley and Chubb.

Doug witnessed his star RB go down this year and still thrived with a string of backups. I just can't imagine him valuing the position enough to want to spend that high a pick on a guy. And Howie seems too analytical to do so.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 17 2016, 10:52 AM) *
Doug witnessed his star RB go down this year and still thrived with a string of backups. I just can't imagine him valuing the position enough to want to spend that high a pick on a guy. And Howie seems too analytical to do so.

Excellent point....I think Pederson values 2 positions over any other on offense and by a wide margin.....offensive line and QB.

The rest can all be serviceable......sound familiar?...lol

That being said we are already ahead of the game with Matthews at WR.....if Algohar pans out we will be in great shape
mcnabbulous
Agholor is a much more exciting athlete. He should become the better receiver, assuming things slow down for him.

Frankly, I think we need to gamble a bit this year and assume both guys will improve. If that's the case, we are more than okay at receiver.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 15 2016, 08:26 AM) *

You'll be disappointed to hear that he was very impressive at his pro day today.
GroundedBird
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 17 2016, 01:09 PM) *
You'll be disappointed to hear that he was very impressive at his pro day today.

Count me in the Hack camp. I'd love to see him around in the 3 or 4th rounds.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Mar 17 2016, 12:14 PM) *
Count me in the Hack camp. I'd love to see him around in the 3 or 4th rounds.

I think he's gonna go mid-2 at this point.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 17 2016, 03:02 PM) *
I think he's gonna go mid-2 at this point.

I think that is more wishful thinking than anything else.....he is a reach right now.....late 3rd....4th round...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 17 2016, 03:48 PM) *
I think that is more wishful thinking than anything else.....he is a reach right now.....late 3rd....4th round...

Almost every QB is a reach. It's all about projection with guys. His positives are better than 95% of the guys that come out these days.

Some team is going to be wise to snatch him up and it's going to happen earlier than you think.
Reality Fan
Of course the guy who spoke glowingly of his Pro day was Jordan Palmer....his coach for the last 2 months.....and one good pro day does not replace all his tape....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 17 2016, 04:00 PM) *
Of course the guy who spoke glowingly of his Pro day was Jordan Palmer....his coach for the last 2 months.....and one good pro day does not replace all his tape....

A lot of guys have spoken highly of his pro day.

What I find hilarious is how so many of the people that bash Hack were gleaming with joy when they were declaring that PSU was going to be a D1AA team after the sanctions hit. Because they weren't as bad as people expected, people have lost sight of just how depleted that roster was.

Yeah, he has bad tape. He played on a bad team with some of the worst OL play I've ever seen. It definitely caused problems for him. But I've seen enough positives from him to know that he can thrive when he's confident in the people around him. When you find the moments where he trusted his OL play, he looks every bit the part. Especially when he played in O'Brien's offense that allowed him to do the stuff he does best.

He's 20 years old. He has had issues with mechanics. He's going to be able to commit himself full time to fixing those issues. His upside is well worth the risk.
JeeQ
As much as I'd like Elliott I can absolutely see the Cowboys drafting him before us and to be honest we need to go CB. It's an absolute ghost town back there
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 17 2016, 05:08 PM) *
A lot of guys have spoken highly of his pro day.

What I find hilarious is how so many of the people that bash Hack were gleaming with joy when they were declaring that PSU was going to be a D1AA team after the sanctions hit. Because they weren't as bad as people expected, people have lost sight of just how depleted that roster was.

Yeah, he has bad tape. He played on a bad team with some of the worst OL play I've ever seen. It definitely caused problems for him. But I've seen enough positives from him to know that he can thrive when he's confident in the people around him. When you find the moments where he trusted his OL play, he looks every bit the part. Especially when he played in O'Brien's offense that allowed him to do the stuff he does best.

He's 20 years old. He has had issues with mechanics. He's going to be able to commit himself full time to fixing those issues. His upside is well worth the risk.

See...that is the funny thing...I am not just some Hack basher.....I am a PSU fan and have seen just about every game he played and I am well aware of their talent situation....I am well aware of his lack of an offensive line. That being said, you keep pointing to his ability to read defenses and change plays but that did not lead to a good offense....he has had talent at RB....and that is the real spot that would suffer from a terrible O line and it did but Barkely was still a stud.

Hack is a physical specimen but he is not a great QB right now...maybe he gets it but I think he is just a guy right now...I could be wrong but I saw him just as much as you and I came away disappointed by his progress, not encouraged.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 17 2016, 05:43 PM) *
See...that is the funny thing...I am not just some Hack basher.....I am a PSU fan and have seen just about every game he played and I am well aware of their talent situation....I am well aware of his lack of an offensive line. That being said, you keep pointing to his ability to read defenses and change plays but that did not lead to a good offense....he has had talent at RB....and that is the real spot that would suffer from a terrible O line and it did but Barkely was still a stud.

But he didn't have the ability to audible the same way under Franklin.

Barkley is an absolute stud, no doubt. But run blocking and pass blocking are two different things. They weren't good at either, but the pass blocking was egregious.

Hack is a physical specimen but he is not a great QB right now...maybe he gets it but I think he is just a guy right now...I could be wrong but I saw him just as much as you and I came away disappointed by his progress, not encouraged.

There are almost no "great QBs" after college. Especially not after their true junior seasons. Like I said, it's all about projection. His progress was stunted, but there is enough good, even from the past two years, that you can project success if he is put in a good situation.

What better situation than our team with multiple former QBs on the staff and no immediate need to start?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.