Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: April 4 ... April 28
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Offseason workouts for the Eagles start 4/4, about 3 weeks from now. Anyone know what this entails? Is this just weight room stuff or is there walk throughs, etc? I thought teams with new coaches could have practice-like sessions before other teams and for a longer duration. I believe the first of these can occur before the draft so the coaches get a chance to see what they have and what they need. Anyone know?

The draft is 4/28-4/30.
Too early to really get a sense of what we'll do, but ... If Cleveland gets Kaepernick as rumored and doesn't draft a QB how will that affect the Eagles? Lots of people think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll take a QB at 8 but I'm not one of them ... not after signing both Bradford and Daniel. If Wentz is there do they take him? Goff? Or, do they stick to BPA ... QB, LB, CB, DL, RB, OL, WR. Should they add "at position of need" to BPA?

My vote is straight up, BPA. If that's QB, groom him. Anybody else, play him and let him learn. Just take the best football player and figure it out later.

Two concerns for this optimist: Can Doug be a HC and can Howie draft players? Last time we were in the top 10 he took Johnson. Can either of them screw this up?
Joegrane
Why would Cleveland prefer Kap to one of the rookies?

If Doug and the other coaches work well with Howie, maybe they end up being like assistant GMs. If they are working well as a team, maybe they can make good decisions for the team's future.

Anyone who says BPA-alone is full of crap. If you have a Pro Bowl player at the same position as the BPA on your board, you are not going to select the BPA. You either select another guy who is close to BPA and fits one of the top few areas of need or you trade out of the position.

The nice thing about the Eagles after the trades and early FA period is that they've plugged their holes. They have flexibility to lean towards BPA.

There are very few positions I'd try to fill with a top 10 pick. QB and L OT lead my short list. I'd be more inclined to trade down, pick up a second round pick and take my chances with two starter-quality players.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 12 2016, 12:00 PM) *

The draft is 4/28-4/30.
Too early to really get a sense of what we'll do, but ... If Cleveland gets Kaepernick as rumored and doesn't draft a QB how will that affect the Eagles? Lots of people think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll take a QB at 8 but I'm not one of them ... not after signing both Bradford and Daniel. If Wentz is there do they take him? Goff? Or, do they stick to BPA ... QB, LB, CB, DL, RB, OL, WR. Should they add "at position of need" to BPA?

My vote is straight up, BPA. If that's QB, groom him. Anybody else, play him and let him learn. Just take the best football player and figure it out later.

Two concerns for this optimist: Can Doug be a HC and can Howie draft players? Last time we were in the top 10 he took Johnson. Can either of them screw this up?

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 12 2016, 06:21 PM) *
There are very few positions I'd try to fill with a top 10 pick. QB and L OT lead my short list. I'd be more inclined to trade down, pick up a second round pick and take my chances with two starter-quality players.

I'd have preferred Miami's second to trading up, so trading back to add a second makes sense. However the fact that we did the trade up would suggest that we're hoping to get someone and probably one of the QBs.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 12 2016, 01:21 PM) *
Anyone who says BPA-alone is full of crap. If you have a Pro Bowl player at the same position as the BPA on your board, you are not going to select the BPA. You either select another guy who is close to BPA and fits one of the top few areas of need or you trade out of the position.

The nice thing about the Eagles after the trades and early FA period is that they've plugged their holes. They have flexibility to lean towards BPA.

I always say its BPA at PON (Position of Need), at least in the first few rounds. After that it's BPA.

IMO, they've done a very good job the last week with the moves. But to me, the gaping hole they have is WR. They didn't fill that. There is still time, but IMO, that position is an eyesore that continues to swell.

They needed a FA WR, and a decently high draft pick in the draft. We were all (somewhat justified for sure) about our OL, but our OL was rated 12th best, while our WR corps was rated 31st! Sure we definitely needed OG's. But we desperately need WR's. Jaws was saying last night how messed up Algholar was last year. Bad routes, bad recognition. He was rated the worst starting WR last year. That's Cooper territory as he held that title the year before. This is not saying Algholar won't get better or maybe one day be a good NFL WR. Lord knows he has the work ethic. But as a guy incharge of this team, I put no reliance on that happening. And Huff? Please.

Here's another issue. Chip never used a FB. Rarely used two RB's. This year, we will be using two RB/FB's often. The normal set up with two RB/FB is a RB, FB, 2 WR's and a TE. If Matthews is not an outside WR, which seems to be the strong opinion of Jaws and other "experts", then he comes off the field in that alignment. So that takes our best WR off the field,when we use our two RB/FB set. Or you can take the 5th highest paid TE in the NFL off the field.

Not an ideal set up.

What I think we should do is offer up one of our 3rd round picks to all teams to get a solid starting outside WR AND draft a WR too. I know Howie wants to make a trade to get into the 2nd round, but I need a good WR now!! As much as teams value draft picks, I'm thinking a 3rd should be a good offer.
nephillymike
New coaches can start offseason stuff two weeks earlier than teams with returning coaches.

Not bad. Football comes back sooner!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 12 2016, 11:20 PM) *
New coaches can start offseason stuff two weeks earlier than teams with returning coaches.

Not bad. Football comes back sooner!!

My confusion is what is "stuff?"
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 13 2016, 06:05 AM) *
My confusion is what is "stuff?"

Here ya go Z.

Looks like it boring stuff, classrooom meetings with coaches, on field conditioning and wieght room stuff without coaches.

For the Iggs, looks like all of the classroom stuff for the new O and D systems will be the most valuable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000033...season-workouts
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 13 2016, 11:29 AM) *
Here ya go Z.

Looks like it boring stuff, classrooom meetings with coaches, on field conditioning and wieght room stuff without coaches.

For the Iggs, looks like all of the classroom stuff for the new O and D systems will be the most valuable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000033...season-workouts

The classroom stuff is huge but it'd be nice if they could do some work in shorts too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.