Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me, but this QB 'competition' seems stupid!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
They just signed Bradford and I doubt they are free and clear of his salary if they decide to cut him. So what's the point? You don't offer a contract that big and then say, 'now you compete with the guy who has thrown 77 passes in 6 years.' I am not so sure Pederson understands that this undermines all the work he did to woo Bradford, your my guy, of course if you beat out this scrub! WTF?
nephillymike
I hear ya BW.

It does seem dishonest, especially given the love fest last week.

However, if Pedey's definition of open competition with Bradford is the same as Chip's was, Sam could be a shoe in. But with the former ties with Daniel, who knows.

As far as the rainbow for Bradford, how about this:

"Hey Sam, Denver called and they're interested"............................

Sam's feeling fine in 30 seconds, doncha think?

On the other hand, IMO, Bradford has done nothing in his career, here or any where else to deserve a starting job handed to him. Whether it be Sanchez, Daniel or one of the top 2 rookies (isn't that a nice ring to it?), he should have to prove him self week in and week out. However, in fairness, the hope is that the Eagles spoke honestly about their intentions of competition and potential draft picks and he signed his deal aware of those possibilities.
mcnabbulous
Fuck em. Make the guy win the job.
Reality Fan
All this "make him win the job" is fine and good theoretically BUT....this is the real world.....you do not sign Bradord to a deal that commits 22 Million to "compete" for the job....that contract tells him they want him to start....while I think paying Daniels 7 per is ridiculous it is really only high end back up money.(and after 6 years of being a back up he should be good at it...best clipboard holder ever)

This is not a competition and the Broncos do not say no to Osweiler asking for 18 per only to pay Bradford 17.5 per. Daniles deal is proof of a few things....Pederson has a lot of say in the personnel moves and either Daniels has pictures of Pederson with goats or he and Pederson have a secret Greek bayh house relationship. It is a waste of money but apparently Pederson is paying forward the favor that Reid did with him.
Rick
They could trade Bradford. I forget the date but, if they trade him before a certain date, they basically walk away from his monetary obligation (actually gain something like $1.5 million in cap space). There isn't a lot of time (wish I remembered the date).

Don't want to see them trade him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 10 2016, 05:53 AM) *
They could trade Bradford. I forget the date but, if they trade him before a certain date, they basically walk away from his monetary obligation (actually gain something like $1.5 million in cap space). There isn't a lot of time (wish I remembered the date).

March 18th.

I think that's the date and we're off the hook from what I've heard.
Phits
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Mar 10 2016, 12:07 AM) *
They just signed Bradford and I doubt they are free and clear of his salary if they decide to cut him. So what's the point? You don't offer a contract that big and then say, 'now you compete with the guy who has thrown 77 passes in 6 years.' I am not so sure Pederson understands that this undermines all the work he did to woo Bradford, your my guy, of course if you beat out this scrub! WTF?

If you think your head is spinning now, just wait until they draft a rookie QB .... with their first pick.

1: TEN
2: CLE*
3: SD
4: DAL
5: JAX
6: BAL
7: SF*
8: PHI

Only 2 teams with pressing QB needs and Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch as legitimate first rounders......

Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 10 2016, 08:23 AM) *
Only 2 teams with pressing QB needs and Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch as legitimate first rounders......

Most of what I read has Lynch going either late first or second round. I doubt they do that unless they trade down. With both Daniel and Bradford I think they'd be better taking BPA ... OL, WR, DL, CB.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 02:28 AM) *
All this "make him win the job" is fine and good theoretically BUT....this is the real world.....you do not sign Bradord to a deal that commits 22 Million to "compete" for the job....that contract tells him they want him to start....while I think paying Daniels 7 per is ridiculous it is really only high end back up money.(and after 6 years of being a back up he should be good at it...best clipboard holder ever)

This is not a competition and the Broncos do not say no to Osweiler asking for 18 per only to pay Bradford 17.5 per. Daniles deal is proof of a few things....Pederson has a lot of say in the personnel moves and either Daniels has pictures of Pederson with goats or he and Pederson have a secret Greek bayh house relationship. It is a waste of money but apparently Pederson is paying forward the favor that Reid did with him.

It sounds as though Osweiler leaving Denver had was as much his choice as theirs.

I think it's a real competition because Bradford is yet to prove that he has earned anything in his career. It's that simple.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 10 2016, 05:53 AM) *

Lets just quash this silly PFT fueled story.......it ain't happening and was a non story for them to even infer it. A lot of things could happen.....China could invade us....I could discover oil deposits in my back yard...he is not getting traded and I am stunned that such silliness has gotten legs. Lets stop and try to be rational....the Broncos don't want to pay more than 16 million per to the guy they groomed for 4 years but they will pay more to a stranger? Oh yeah...that makes sense....or the Jets don't want to pay the guy who did well for them last year but they will pay even more for the new guy?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 10 2016, 08:46 AM) *
It sounds as though Osweiler leaving Denver had was as much his choice as theirs.

I think it's a real competition because Bradford is yet to prove that he has earned anything in his career. It's that simple.

Yeah...a real competition...lol

There is no question who will start and if you think otherwise you are either naive or stupid. Like Mikey said....this is like Chip's competition last year, there is none..

If they trade Bradford or Daniels starts I will move to Canada
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 10:09 AM) *

There is no question who will start and if you think otherwise you are either naive or stupid. Like Mikey said....this is like Chip's competition last year, there is none..

You're probably right, but it's certainly not because Bradford has earned it. It's entirely a draft position anointment at this point.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 10 2016, 11:39 AM) *
You're probably right, but it's certainly not because Bradford has earned it. It's entirely a draft position anointment at this point.

I partially agree....

While I think Bradford is overpaid when you compare him and Daniels there is no draft position anointment. Who the hell is Chase Daniels? In 6 years he has yet to convince any of 32 teams that he is worth a shot at starting. He was on a 2 year and a 1 year contract in NO. He signed in KC to be a back up to Smith. At that time no other team wanted to give him a shot to even sniff starting after he was 3 years into the league...think about that.

I get the back up QB is always the most popular guy but at least let him play first.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 01:18 PM) *
I partially agree....

While I think Bradford is overpaid when you compare him and Daniels there is no draft position anointment. Who the hell is Chase Daniels? In 6 years he has yet to convince any of 32 teams that he is worth a shot at starting. He was on a 2 year and a 1 year contract in NO. He signed in KC to be a back up to Smith. At that time no other team wanted to give him a shot to even sniff starting after he was 3 years into the league...think about that.

I get the back up QB is always the most popular guy but at least let him play first.

My point has less to do with Daniels and more to do with Bradford. Let them compete. No agenda. Let the cream rise.
Reality Fan
[quote name='mcnabbulous' date='Mar 10 2016, 03:05 PM' post='284951']
My point has less to do with Daniels and more to do with Bradford. Let them compete. No agenda. Let the cream rise.
[/quote

Pederson put all the silliness to rest today....there is no competition
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 11:09 AM) *

If you have to move to Canada, there is no way I am going there to pay any debt!!

That's a real strong statement.

My guess is there is a 33% chance Bradford gets traded and also a 25% chance Daniel beats him out at some point during the year. Combined probability is 50% that Daniel starts one way or the other. Better stock up on the Moosehead aye?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 10 2016, 08:27 PM) *
If you have to move to Canada, there is no way I am going there to pay any debt!!

That's a real strong statement.

My guess is there is a 33% chance Bradford gets traded and also a 25% chance Daniel beats him out at some point during the year. Combined probability is 50% that Daniel starts one way or the other. Better stock up on the Moosehead aye?

You are truly delusional.....and the Eagles emphatically shot down all these idiotic rumors today at their presser
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 08:45 PM) *
You are truly delusional.....and the Eagles emphatically shot down all these idiotic rumors today at their presser

Oh Canada
Our Home and Native Land
True Patriot Love
In all thy sons command..............................

Have you heard the lies told this off season.

"Murray wants to be here"

Tis the off season. If the lips are moving, they are likely lying. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just the way you play the game.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 10 2016, 08:50 PM) *
Oh Canada
Our Home and Native Land
True Patriot Love
In all thy sons command..............................

Have you heard the lies told this off season.

"Murray wants to be hear"

Tis the off season. If the lips are moving, they are likely lying. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just the way you play the game.

Apparently one of your guys left a paint can open in your office....

With all the mess from Kelly do you really think they would waste money like that? First, 11 million would count against the cap in 2016 and they would not get the credit for it until 2017 so that would be idiot move number one....

Next, you would do the sign and trade right away and now you assume whoever the trade partner is that they are up for the contract you signed Bradford to.....you also then ignore that the team that will trade for him would chose to give up assets rather than just tell Condon they were interested....

There are just so many reasons that it is pure foolishness to even consider.....if Bradford was Brady I would say maybe but....

And Pederson was emphatic not once but to 3 different reporters at 3 separate times..
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 09:09 PM) *
Apparently one of your guys left a paint can open in your office....

With all the mess from Kelly do you really think they would waste money like that? First, 11 million would count against the cap in 2016 and they would not get the credit for it until 2017 so that would be idiot move number one....

Next, you would do the sign and trade right away and now you assume whoever the trade partner is that they are up for the contract you signed Bradford to.....you also then ignore that the team that will trade for him would chose to give up assets rather than just tell Condon they were interested....

There are just so many reasons that it is pure foolishness to even consider.....if Bradford was Brady I would say maybe but....

And Pederson was emphatic not once but to 3 different reporters at 3 separate times..

And before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times...................................

In a contract twist, if they trade Sammy before March 18th, it is said that the entire contract transfers to the other team with no cap implications to the Eagles. Zippo, nada, nyet.

I hear you on the assets theory. But we're talking the SB Champs without a QB!! I think they're on tilt.

Desperado,
Why don't you come to your senses...................................

I really don't know if I would do that. Not that I think much of Bradford, but because I think little of draft picks.

Now give me a solid starting WR and whisper sweet nothings in my ear and he's yours in a heart beat!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 10 2016, 09:43 PM) *
And before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times...................................

In a contract twist, if they trade Sammy before March 18th, it is said that the entire contract transfers to the other team with no cap implications to the Eagles. Zippo, nada, nyet.

I hear you on the assets theory. But we're talking the SB Champs without a QB!! I think they're on tilt.

Desperado,
Why don't you come to your senses...................................

I really don't know if I would do that. Not that I think much of Bradford, but because I think little of draft picks.

Now give me a solid starting WR and whisper sweet nothings in my ear and he's yours in a heart beat!!

Wrong wrong wrong....reread the article.....if the trade is made by the 18th they are still on the hook for 11 million in cap space until 2017 at which time they get that 11 million back in the form of a credit.

Thank god you are not doing my taxes....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 09:52 PM) *
Wrong wrong wrong....reread the article.....if the trade is made by the 18th they are still on the hook for 11 million in cap space until 2017 at which time they get that 11 million back in the form of a credit.

Thank god you are not doing my taxes....

I didn't see the article.

Link??

I heard it mentioned on radio.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 11:01 PM) *

I see our cap room would increase by $1.5 this year, not sure what they mean by we get the $11M back next year.

If we pay a SB, it all gets accelerated this year in a trade sit. But if we don't pay it and the other team does on 3/18, don't see how that costs us and more importantly how we get it back.

In any event, from what they're saying, worst case it's 1.5M cap savings with an additional $11M of cap savings coming next year b/c of the SB. Confusing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.