Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All of this activity is exciting, but ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
OK, maybe it's not Dream Team III because these aren't big names. But they're adding a lot of new faces to a team for the second year in a row. How is all of this going to fit together?

Don't get me wrong, I like most of what is happening, but all of the new faces ... again? I need to hire a personal assistant just to keep me up on the names and positions. How long is it going to take to build them all into a team?
nephillymike
Part One is just about over....................

Making trades, being aggressive signing guys to fill holes.

Part Two has been our achilles heel, can they play? are they motivated, and do they fit our scheme.

Time will tell. I hope at a minimum, Schwartz can figure out who fits his system since half of them came from his old team.

And Pedey had Daniel, so hopefully that takes system risk out of the equation.
mcnabbulous
This isn't about 2016. We will probably be mediocre next year. This is about creating a young core that is together for the next 3-5 years.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 9 2016, 09:42 PM) *
This isn't about 2016. We will probably be mediocre next year. This is about creating a young core that is together for the next 3-5 years.

The moves they're making, this is ALL about 2016.

Don Howie is going for it.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2016, 09:50 PM) *

Don Howie!!

I love it
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 9 2016, 09:51 PM) *
Don Howie!!

I love it

He's settling all family business!!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2016, 08:50 PM) *

I just don't see it that way, but I guess we'll see. I doubt they really believe we can win with our offense.

Will be interesting to see what we do at #8
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 9 2016, 10:05 PM) *
I just don't see it that way, but I guess we'll see. I doubt they really believe we can win with our offense.

Will be interesting to see what we do at #8

Unless they are targeting a RB in the first round...ugh.....

This offense will not be bad....They have what appears to be a good O line all of a sudden if Peters is healthy. Good TEs....their WRs are the issue....what does Nelson look like year 2? Is it closer to his billing or does he suck..

The defense is going to be good.....maybe even very good.....

They may challenge for a bad division
Joegrane
Three of the FA pickups were previously coached by our coaches.

Hopefully the lack of big names means a lack of big egos. I like this approach better than the "dream team" approach. They are filling holes with guys who hopefully are a better fit.

Of course they did not have a huge amount of cap space to splurge and they still have to address extensions on the D Line.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 9 2016, 07:53 PM) *
OK, maybe it's not Dream Team III because these aren't big names. But they're adding a lot of new faces to a team for the second year in a row. How is all of this going to fit together?

Don't get me wrong, I like most of what is happening, but all of the new faces ... again? I need to hire a personal assistant just to keep me up on the names and positions. How long is it going to take to build them all into a team?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 9 2016, 09:23 PM) *
Unless they are targeting a RB in the first round...ugh.....

This offense will not be bad....They have what appears to be a good O line all of a sudden if Peters is healthy. Good TEs....their WRs are the issue....what does Nelson look like year 2? Is it closer to his billing or does he suck..

The defense is going to be good.....maybe even very good.....

They may challenge for a bad division

That's about exactly how I see things. Down to the "...ugh..."
Zero
Unless they're planning on trading Bradford, which I doubt, I'll be surprised if they draft a QB in round 1. IMO, that leaves OL, WR, CB. I don't see them drafting a RB until the third round at earliest.
nephillymike
We need a FA WR and then I'm good with FA.

There are about 5-6 WR's left of the top 99 FA's still available. You would think the price has come down some.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 10 2016, 06:24 AM) *
We need a FA WR and then I'm good with FA.

There are about 5-6 WR's left of the top 99 FA's still available. You would think the price has come down some.

Depends on where they think they'll go at #8. My guess is if Stanley drops past B'more they draft him. If not, they go for Treadwell. Also their evaluation of Agholor. I'd like them to add Kearse but don't know the money. Will Huff be able to step up with new coaching/system? Lots of questions with WR, a FA would help.
nd9kel
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 9 2016, 08:50 PM) *

And this is how I make sense of the Daniel hire. They want a backup who actually has the potential to win a few games whenever Bradford goes down. And they will PAY for it. He managed to win when Smith went down in KC, and has excellent grasp of the offense already. He's an insurance policy to wins in 2016.

that said, I cease to be amazed...they may trade Bradford.
Phits
I don't see any of these moves as an indicator that Howie is in which n now mode. They seem to want to be competitive, but this team isn't anything special. There are a couple of good pieces, but overall we're no better than we were last season.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 10 2016, 08:41 AM) *
I don't see any of these moves as an indicator that Howie is in which n now mode. They seem to want to be competitive, but this team isn't anything special. There are a couple of good pieces, but overall we're no better than we were last season.

I disagree.....I think they are significantly better defensively for 2 reasons....

They added some good talent

They switched to a scheme that fits their talent far better and have a much better DC and will play opposite a ball control offense....

I understand the thinking that the offense is the same but the draft could change that.....

I am kind of shocked by your post.....we jettisoned the under-performing and brought in guys who are young and talented....

Very odd
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 10:19 AM) *
I disagree.....I think they are significantly better defensively for 2 reasons....

They switched to a scheme that fits their talent far better and have a much better DC and will play opposite a ball control offense....

I understand the thinking that the offense is the same but the draft could change that.....

I am kind of shocked by your post.....we jettisoned the under-performing and brought in guys who are young and talented....

Very odd

I completely agree that the defense will be a force this year. I expect us to be extremely conservative on offense. Wouldn't be surprised to be a 9-7 or 10-6 team.

Looking forward to seeing this attacking defense. Hope we take the best defender available. Hargreaves, Jack or if we got lucky as hell...Ramsey or Bosa.
Phits
I just don't see the new defensive talent as a major upgrade. Plus, my expectations are really low, so only time will tell.

Perhaps my opinion will change after the draft or when the season draws closer

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 10 2016, 11:19 AM) *

Very odd

Eyrie
The biggest upgrade on the defence is Schwartz, followed by the move to a 4-3 to suit our personnel.

He's getting players that he knows can play, so everything is lining up nicely for a major upgrade on that side of the ball.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.