Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bradford's future
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
How many think Bradford is a placeholder for a rookie, or think he should be? Before he was signed I did. Even just after he was signed I viewed the 2 year deal as a statement that he would be the best choice for placeholder due to continuity and ability. Better than Daniel. Better than Kaepernick. And certainly far better than anyone with III after their name.

I think I've changed my mind. It may be that the 2 year deal is a safety net for the team because of his injury history and a proving ground for the player because of his historical meh-ness. But when we read things like:
Talking to Sam earlier today, I told him, "this is your offense. I don't want it to be about Doug Pederson." I've kind of said that all along. I want the players to take ownership in all of this.
He's telling the guy he's going to adjust his offense to Bradford's skill set. This makes me think that Pederson thinks Bradford can get to the top of the mountain and be a QB who can win a SB if he can stay healthy. At least, he's giving him the rope to either climb that mountain or hang himself. I think that's a good choice as long as they hedge their bets.

I don't think drafting a QB at 13 will happen. It would undermine the message that Pederson is giving the team about commitment and honesty. I'm sure they'll take a QB, a player they think has the talent they can develop into a viable starter but probably not until the 4th at the earliest.

The important thing for 2016 and 2017 will be building the offense around SamB and having a capable backup QB. This year it's Sanchez, IMO because Daniel probably isn't much of an improvement and will probably cost more.
Rick
I don't think a team pays that kind of money to a guy to be a placeholder typically. I fully believe the Eagles believe Bradford can be their guy but did the 2-year deal because of past injury history and they want to ensure those last 7 games last season weren't a fluke and that he can improve.

That's not to say I don't think they aren't looking to draft someone in case but probably not with their first-round pick.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 5 2016, 09:14 AM) *
I don't think a team pays that kind of money to a guy to be a placeholder typically. I fully believe the Eagles believe Bradford can be their guy but did the 2-year deal because of past injury history and they want to ensure those last 7 games last season weren't a fluke and that he can improve.

That's not to say I don't think they aren't looking to draft someone in case but probably not with their first-round pick.

Excellent point.....if a placeholder route is taken the team gets a veteran QB on the cheap AKA Sanchez and lets the rookie learn from him......you do not pay a guy 17.5 million per year (take that Mikey!!)...the deal was a compromise for a guy they are testing....if Bradford does well he will be extended for 3 more and at big money.
Phits
I think Doug is hinting to Bradford that this is his team, for the next two years. That he is the best short term answer for their long term solution, which (I believe) involves drafting his (eventual) replacement...this season.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2016, 08:24 AM) *
How many think Bradford is a placeholder for a rookie, or think he should be? Before he was signed I did. Even just after he was signed I viewed the 2 year deal as a statement that he would be the best choice for placeholder due to continuity and ability. Better than Daniel. Better than Kaepernick. And certainly far better than anyone with III after their name.

I think I've changed my mind. It may be that the 2 year deal is a safety net for the team because of his injury history and a proving ground for the player because of his historical meh-ness. But when we read things like:
He's telling the guy he's going to adjust his offense to Bradford's skill set. This makes me think that Pederson thinks Bradford can get to the top of the mountain and be a QB who can win a SB if he can stay healthy. At least, he's giving him the rope to either climb that mountain or hang himself. I think that's a good choice as long as they hedge their bets.

I don't think drafting a QB at 13 will happen. It would undermine the message that Pederson is giving the team about commitment and honesty. I'm sure they'll take a QB, a player they think has the talent they can develop into a viable starter but probably not until the 4th at the earliest.

The important thing for 2016 and 2017 will be building the offense around SamB and having a capable backup QB. This year it's Sanchez, IMO because Daniel probably isn't much of an improvement and will probably cost more.

Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 5 2016, 11:12 AM) *
I think Doug is hinting to Bradford that this is his team, for the next two years. That he is the best short term answer for their long term solution, which (I believe) involves drafting his (eventual) replacement...this season.

Oh I don't doubt for a second this is Bradford's team (unless he sucks eggs) at this point. I think they hope he's their long-term solution but are preparing just in case. I actually like this line of reasoning for the long run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.