Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reason for optimism
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
The book on Bradford seems to fall somewhere between "stats don't lie" and "who else" so I decided to go to the Wayback Machine for a better look.

The first thing that surprised me was: OU ... 6'4", 236 lbs; Eagles ... 6'4", 224. He commented that he's working at putting back weight, and from looking at his skinny build last year, he needs it. From what I'm told, building his legs back up would be a big plus. He's not a lead foot either, ran a 4.72.

I looked at the draft reviews of him.
-One of the more deadly accurate passers in recent memory whether throwing short, intermediate or deep.
-Decisive and quick with his release. Tight spiral on most every throw.
-Keeps his wits about him (and eyes down the field) if pressure takes away his rollout, resets and delivers on time. Nimble feet in the pocket; able to create room for himself to deliver the ball.
-Intelligent, high-character, well-respected player on and off the field.
Linc ...
-He can be extremely accurate in the short to intermediate passing game and will flash the ability to time his throws leading his receivers so that they can catch the ball in stride when going downfield. While he may need a year or two to develop into a starting quarterback, he does have a tremendous upside.
-Bradford has ideal height and good mobility. Exceptionally accurate with a quick release. Possesses great balance and steps into his throws. Has quick feet to sidestep the rush and the toughness to stand in the pocket and take a hit. Makes good decisions and uses an effective pump fake. Very competitive and a strong leader. Extremely productive and successful in college.
Linc ...
Good size with room to add some bulk
Peyton Manning-like accuracy
Outstanding job of anticipating routes
Solid arm strength
Capable of making all the throws
Smooth, consistent spiral
Textbook footwork and can drop back if asked
Great decision-maker since freshman year
Understands timing
Well versed in progression reads
Experienced
Very quick release
Ridiculous level of production
Sells play action
Places ball in stride of receiver
Will step up in pocket
Decent athleticism
Throws pro routes and has been under center more than given credit for in career
Strong leader and good character
Linc ...
Then the other side:
-Sam Bradford enters the 2010 NFL Draft as one of the most overrated prospects in the last five years.
-Bradford is a calm and composed player on the field who is most comfortable playing in the shotgun, however heís also capable of playing under center
-One more note relating to the system; many of the throws that Bradford has had to make in his college career have been easy and simple. Throwing screens and dump off passes to explosive running backs, tight ends, and receivers
-Samís accuracy on the short-to-intermediate throws has proven to be excellent. However, as he throws the ball further down the field, his accuracy becomes more inconsistent
Linc ...

Everyone agrees he's dangerously accurate with the short to medium throws. Being a DKD, isn't that the WCO? There's disagreement on his deep throws, both in these reviews and from posters here. Everyone also seems to agree that he's got good mobility, vision and smarts. He's a leader albeit not a fiery one. His health is an issue = expect big investment in OL and a viable running game. Size is good although he needs some weight.

His first year in the league he did good with a very questionable offense then the injuries started = need a good backup. Everyone seems to agree that he has good talent for coaches to work with. Bradford has been in the NFL for 6 years. He's played less than 4 years and he's had 4 different systems and OCs. Coming from a spread offense that must be tough. He's going to his 5th system that is fortunately very close to his rookie system.

Good point here:
Maybe there are some quarterbacks who are/were so great that they can/could transform any team into a contender. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck. And maybe there are some quarterbacks who are so bad that they can dash the Super Bowl hopes of even the greatest collections of talent (Blaine Gabbert, E.J. Manuel, etc.). But maybe a sizable chunk of quarterbacks fall along a spectrum between the two extremes: guys who are good enough to Win when they play on good teams, but who aren't good enough to rescue subpar teams.
Linc ...

Maybe Bradford will get injured again. Maybe he'll be average to above-average and maybe he'll be a top QB. The point really is if with a good team if he's good enough to win the Super Bowl. The focus shouldn't be as much on Bradford as it should be on Roseman and the scouts.

March and April are critical. They need to forget about carrying that $10 mil and do what needs to be done to help the QB with talent.
Joegrane
I expect him to be a little above-average after he settles into the new system and they have the supporting cast set--patched up O Line, experienced WRs.

I don't expect them to give him lots of weapons to artificially promote his stats. That would cost them $ in the long term. They'd be wise to give him a decent supporting cast and focus on building a very good D. That is what Pederson had in KC.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 4 2016, 08:36 AM) *
Maybe Bradford will get injured again. Maybe he'll be average to above-average and maybe he'll be a top QB. The point really is if with a good team if he's good enough to win the Super Bowl. The focus shouldn't be as much on Bradford as it should be on Roseman and the scouts.

March and April are critical. They need to forget about carrying that $10 mil and do what needs to be done to help the QB with talent.
Phits
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 4 2016, 12:03 PM) *
I expect him to be a little above-average after he settles into the new system and they have the supporting cast set--patched up O Line, experienced WRs.

I don't expect them to give him lots of weapons to artificially promote his stats. That would cost them $ in the long term. They'd be wise to give him a decent supporting cast and focus on building a very good D. That is what Pederson had in KC.

Like they had/have in KC, we need a dependable running game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 4 2016, 12:03 PM) *
Like they had/have in KC, we need a dependable running game.

Seeing you say this about an Andy Reid led team is truly a treat.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 4 2016, 01:08 PM) *
Seeing you say this about an Andy Reid led team is truly a treat.

Glad to oblige wink.gif
nd9kel
Three important takeaways from this article
1. Sam was always committed to playing this season in Philly
2. Sam will be working on bulking up his lower body this off-season...first chance he's had in a couple of years..
3. Sam will have freedom to check plays at the line of scrimmage...gawd wasn't last season full of wasted plays?
4. Sam will have a full off-season of throwing for the first time in two years.

Sam Bradford wants to play in Philadelphia. He made that much clear this afternoon when he met with the media in his first press conference since signing his two-year, $36 million contract with the Eagles.

"I've always enjoyed my time here," Bradford said. "I think Philadelphia is a great sports city, I think our fans are the most passionate in the league. We have a great atmosphere every time we step in the Linc.

"There's never been a moment where I haven't enjoyed it here."

The signal caller also claimed that he never checked into what he could potentially get on the free agent market and the Eagles, and more specifically Howie Roseman, first contacted him about getting a contract done days after the season ended.

Bradford has struggled to stay healthy throughout the first six years of his NFL career, but was able to play 14 games for the Eagles last season and set career highs in passing yards and completion percentage. He noted that he will be able to fully workout this offseason and not have to worry about rehabbing an injury for the first time since 2013.

"Obviously, [it's huge] to be able to focus on my body," Bradford said. "To try and put some weight back on, to put some strength into my lower body, to not have to rehab, to not have to worry about when am I going to be healthy, when am I going to be able to throw, when am I going to be able to take the field, to not have those question marks and to be able to focus on getting myself into the best shape possible and getting myself ready for the spring program, getting myself ready for OTAs, I think that's a huge advantage."

One of the reasons Bradford wanted to return to the Eagles was the hire of Doug Pederson. Pederson has spoken highly of Bradford numerous times since he was introduced as the Eagles head coach in January and the feelings seem mutual.

"Once you sit down and you talk to him, you realize he's played the position, he understands the game from the quarterback's perspective and that was really big to me," Bradford explained. "I think there's a big difference in someone like him who has seen [the game] first-hand and someone who hasn't."

Bradford also compared Pederson's offensive scheme to the one he ran under Pat Shurmur in St. Louis during his rookie season. The quarterback was also quick to point out how much he enjoys the progressions and the rhythm of the west coast offense and how he believes his ability to make checks at the line of scrimmage will make the Eagles offense more efficient.

"I think that my mind is a great attribute to my game," Bradford said. "I enjoy being able to go to the line and make those checks, make those audibles and I think just talking to [Pederson] and some of the freedom that he gave Alex [Smith] in Kansas City, I'm looking forward to that.

"I think anytime you can save yourself from wasting plays and get yourself into a better play, I think you have a chance to be successful."

Many of Bradford's supporters will point to his last seven games of 2015 as an example of what the QB is capable of doing in the NFL. In those games, Bradford completed 68 percent of his passes for 1,959 yards and 10 touchdowns. Bradford also pointed out that he ended last season on a high note and he hopes to build on that success in 2016.

"I think [my career] has been up and it's been down," Bradford said. "I think I faced a lot of different challenges in my first six years with some injuries, learning some new offenses, but I think my best days are ahead of me. I think towards the end of last year, the last half of the year, once I got comfortable with the system, once I felt comfortable with the guys around me, I felt like I started to play at a pretty high level and I'm just looking to build on that."
nephillymike
It's posts like these that will forever keep you from Axis membership.

At least Eyrie can practice his grammar and spelling to have a shot.

Good catch about his weight.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 4 2016, 08:04 PM) *
It's posts like these that will forever keep you from Axis membership.

Thank you! laugh.gif

But here's more. Listening to 97.5 while driving yesterday I heard this. OK, it's Heath Evans but listen to what he says about the OL at around the 3 minute mark. I'm not taking this as gospel, but thinking about the Tobin news he may be tuned into something that the team thinks too. I know we all think the OL sucks, but are we sure that the guy we now love to blame everything on didn't have something to do with that?

So much depends on FA now that the QB situation is defined. If they do the expected and sign a G and maybe a S next week, where are the team's needs going into April? Could we see another WR taken at 13? Treadwell? A DL? Nkemdiche? A RB? Elliott?

I love this time of year! jumpclap.gif
nd9kel
axis smacxis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.