Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Our Cap situation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
After the Bradford deal, they say we have 18.6M. What can we buy?

Base Post Bradford Starting Point = 18.6M
Est Net Cap Room For Rookies = (2.5M) - for each we sign, we save at least 450K in cap for players cut.
Resign Carroll = (2.5M)
Resign Thurmond = (2.5M)
FA WR (3.5M)
FA OG (3.5M)
Net Available 4.1M (only a 2.7% of cap cushion - too lean
Cut Sanchez +3.5M
Revised Net Available 7.6M (approx 5% stash of $155M cap. Still not likely)

Unfortunately, to get to a comfort zone, the Bradford and other deals look to have cost us either Carroll or Thurmond and either FA WR or OG, to get us up near the 10% carryover level. THey really didn't save cap with the new deals.

I'd obviously want us to do all of the above and settle for only stashing 7.6M, or even keep Sanchez or find comparable backup for when Bradford gets hurt, but it doesn't seem likely.

Sadly, Fletch's cap hit of $7.8M is almost exactly the year one cap hit for Darius's deal, so when dealing with those big numbers, it doesn't look like a cap savings for a long term Fletch deal would help the cap.

Not an ideal situation by any stretch given the FA help we need to undo Chip/Howie past sins and compete.
nephillymike
People are avoiding an unpleasant subject....................

Where are those GM capologists out there.

Show us the way!!
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 3 2016, 08:28 PM) *
People are avoiding an unpleasant subject....................

Where are those GM capologists out there.

Show us the way!!

I've found that whenever a team is in cap hell, somehow they manage to find the loophole to make the problem disappear.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 3 2016, 08:29 PM) *
I've found that whenever a team is in cap hell, somehow they manage to find the loophole to make the problem disappear.

It's not cap hell.

However, it is FA purgatory if we don't use up more cap than we ever have. Sure they could do it, but it's not likely.

It isn't like we're in "go for it" mode. We're 7-9 and middling.

A tough spot.
Joegrane
Do you really think Thurmond will get less than Nate Allen? I don't expect to see him in Green. I bet they go with the young safeties and maybe draft one that suits the new system.

If they plan to draft the Rt OT of the future in round 1 and start him at OG they won't need to sign a FA for the O Line.

I'll be surprised if they don't pick up a cheap veteran WR for leadership.

I expect them to sign a CB with some experience. EJ Biggers is another option.

The Cox extension is a huge deal. I would not be surprised if they don't get it done this year.

I won't be surprised if they only sign guys for depth positions, not starters or impact players.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 3 2016, 10:59 PM) *
Do you really think Thurmond will get less than Nate Allen? I don't expect to see him in Green. I bet they go with the young safeties and maybe draft one that suits the new system.

If they plan to draft the Rt OT of the future in round 1 and start him at OG they won't need to sign a FA for the O Line.

The Cox extension is a huge deal. I would not be surprised if they don't get it done this year.

I won't be surprised if they only sign guys for depth positions, not starters or impact players.

I find it odd how most people are OK with our WR. As far as OG go, we need TWO starting OG, a rookie and a FA.

Nate Allen hit the mother load didn't he?

With all of the cap space Jax and Oak and teams of that ilk have, there will be some rich FA laying for bad teams!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 3 2016, 11:16 PM) *
I find it odd how most people are OK with our WR. As far as OG go, we need TWO starting OG, a rookie and a FA.

Nate Allen hit the mother load didn't he?

With all of the cap space Jax and Oak and teams of that ilk have, there will be some rich FA laying for bad teams!!

I find it odd that you don't think that they won't go crazy over a WR...

Agholor was a first round pick and you have already written him off because he was not spectacular.

OL in the draft...maybe a FA safety
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 3 2016, 10:59 PM) *

I think there's little doubt that FA will bring a G and that they'll draft two or three more OL. The well is dry and not only do they need immediate starters to protect Bradford, they need the young guys as viable backups.

I also think they really like Sheppard at CB. Apparently he's working his ass off at Novacare. With Maxwell and Rowe as starters, Sheppard and maybe Carroll and Biggers they're not in bad shape. I agree they should try to sign a FA WR.
Joegrane
I would not be surprised if they use a mid round pick to draft Cooper's replacement--a big, blocking, Red Zone receiver who can contribute on special teams. Coop was a 5th rounder, no? Except for the bloated contract, the Eagles did well with that pick.

I'd like to see them give the other WRs another year under a new coach. I think they'll have a better feel for what they have and what they need. Maybe they could just use a small, quick slot WR, or maybe they'll eventually need to use a high round pick because Huff and Agholor are not producing. I'm hoping on the former.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 3 2016, 11:16 PM) *
I find it odd how most people are OK with our WR. As far as OG go, we need TWO starting OG, a rookie and a FA...
nephillymike
Why give these WR's another year?

Don't get me wrong, every year is open competition, as it should be.

But we need to improve the unit via draft AND free agency.

We just cut the guy rated the worst WR in 2014 in Cooper.

Our rookie last year, Algholar, was rated the worst WR in 2015!!

Our best WR, Matthews, dropped way too many passes, and up until now, doesn't seem like he has long ball potential.

Huff? Aside from a TD where the two defenders ran into each other, what has he done? Doesn't seem too smart either (see flip before getting in the end zone in NO game)

Ajirotutu very good ST player, not an NFL regular WR.

Now COULD these guys improve? Yep. I thought Algholar was a nice 2nd round talent and I'm surprised he struggled so much early on.

However, I am not depending on them to improve. I don't think Huff is any more than a #5 NFL WR. If you say Matthews is OK for the slot, then we still need two outside guys. I am not counting on Algholar. So I have a #3WR, a #5 WR, and a wild card coming off the worst WR ranking last year. Give me a solid starter WR in FA and a stud WR in the draft. Worst case scenario, Algholar pans out and I have three starting WR's and the new rookie as #4 and Huff as #5. Then as they do every year, when one gets hurt, I have the guys to step in, all at a reasonable price.
Phits
Considering we just gave Bradford a two year 35+ million dollar contract and he's done nothing his entire career...

Has Bradford ever rated in the top half of QB's in the league?

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 4 2016, 07:57 PM) *
Why give these WR's another year?

Don't get me wrong, every year is open competition, as it should be.

But we need to improve the unit via draft AND free agency.

We just cut the guy rated the worst WR in 2014 in Cooper.

Our rookie last year, Algholar, was rated the worst WR in 2015!!

Our best WR, Matthews, dropped way too many passes, and up until now, doesn't seem like he has long ball potential.

Huff? Aside from a TD where the two defenders ran into each other, what has he done? Doesn't seem too smart either (see flip before getting in the end zone in NO game)

Ajirotutu very good ST player, not an NFL regular WR.

Now COULD these guys improve? Yep. I thought Algholar was a nice 2nd round talent and I'm surprised he struggled so much early on.

However, I am not depending on them to improve. I don't think Huff is any more than a #5 NFL WR. If you say Matthews is OK for the slot, then we still need two outside guys. I am not counting on Algholar. So I have a #3WR, a #5 WR, and a wild card coming off the worst WR ranking last year. Give me a solid starter WR in FA and a stud WR in the draft. Worst case scenario, Algholar pans out and I have three starting WR's and the new rookie as #4 and Huff as #5. Then as they do every year, when one gets hurt, I have the guys to step in, all at a reasonable price.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 4 2016, 08:46 PM) *
Considering we just gave Bradford a two year 35+ million dollar contract and he's done nothing his entire career...

Has Bradford ever rated in the top half of QB's in the league?

I don't understand your point
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 4 2016, 09:14 PM) *
I don't understand your point

we have a "done nothing" QB passing to "done nothing" WR's. We're a team built on potential, not for what they have accomplished.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 4 2016, 11:54 PM) *
we have a "done nothing" QB passing to "done nothing" WR's. We're a team built on potential, not for what they have accomplished.

Hard to disagree with that other than to add the ubiquitous intangible of "character." Coaching is critical.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 4 2016, 11:54 PM) *

OK I see. In that case, still give me a FA WR so at least part of one of the components has done something!!
Zero
If we sign only Kelechi Osemele and George Iloka we'll be set to take BPA. How would you feel if they then draft Laquon Treadwell at 15 after trading down for our original #2 so they can draft a QB. laugh.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 5 2016, 01:47 PM) *
If we sign only Kelechi Osemele and George Iloka we'll be set to take BPA. How would you feel if they then draft Laquon Treadwell at 15 after trading down for our original #2 so they can draft a QB. laugh.gif

A little rich on the trade down ROI.

I think if we go from #13 to #22, we should get a #52 in return from HOU.

I don't think Treadwell lasts that long, but still should be some good talent there and at #52.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.