Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now that the dust has settled, our needs as I see them
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Whether in free agency or the draft, here's how I see our needs by position.

I classify the needs as "Immediate starter needed", "Significant Backup to Challenge for Time Needed", "Depth for future years"

Keep in mind that as of next week, the following players will be free agents and not on our team:

WR Ajirotutu
QB Lewis
OC- Molk
DL Thornton
CB - Carroll, Biggers
S - Thurmond

So for purposes of this analysis, assume they are not here and we need to fill those spots. All are in order, if more than one needed, that number is in ( )'s

Immediate Starters Needed

WR (2) IMO, only Matthews is starter quality. We need a #2 and #3 and if Algholar or Huff improve, its a bonus
OG (2) Maybe Gardner is serviceable as a starter but didn't look it last year. Give me 2 and Gardner and Barbre as depth
S - if they move Rowe here, then swap with CB. Thurmond should not cost much

Significant Backups Needed

CB - Carroll should not cost much
OT - our backups blow. Need help
DT - with transition from 3-4, only Cox and Logan are viable 4-3 DT's
QB - assumes we cut Sanchez for cap room to get other PON
OLB - Alonzo, Kendricks then Smith, Long, Braman
ILB - Hicks, Goode. Need challengers.

Depth For Future

OC - If we can get a OG/OC hybrid, them ove this PON up cause Kecle was putrid last year.
DE - Braman, Curry, Graham should be good
TE - need Celek replacement
RB - need Murray replacement for 2017. Mathews, Sproles, Murray, Barner is as good as it gets. Murray goes no where.

We need to sign four FA's for the above and the rest thru the draft. FA a WR, OG, S, CB and draft the rest.
Phits
I think that if (when) we cut Sanchez, Chase Daniels will likely become our #2. I think they have him in mind to groom our (soon to be drafted) QB of the future.
Joegrane
Why would he leave the playoff caliber Chiefs to come here? I don't see the Eagles getting into a bidding war with old friend, Andy R.

Bringing Daniels here to be a placeholder starter would have been different, but that is no longer the case after the signing of SamB.

QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 2 2016, 09:46 PM) *
I think that if (when) we cut Sanchez, Chase Daniels will likely become our #2. I think they have him in mind to groom our (soon to be drafted) QB of the future.

Reality Fan
I think Daniels may not save us much...he is getting over 3 million in KC but maybe he gets less...I have no idea what he fetches on the open market.

They need a real safety...

There is no WR of much worth that they can get from what I have seen...maybe the guy from Cincy...

I think it is best to wait to see who actually makes it to FA...
Phits
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 2 2016, 10:28 PM) *
Why would he leave the playoff caliber Chiefs to come here? I don't see the Eagles getting into a bidding war with old friend, Andy R.

IMO, if he can't find a role as a starter somewhere (or at least to compete for the starting role) Chase would want to be in a position, as a backup, to start in place of an injury. Alex Smith has missed one game in the last three seasons...the same can't be said for Bradford. With our situation it gives the #2 QB a chance to start a couple of games per season.

Bringing Daniels here to be a placeholder starter would have been different, but that is no longer the case after the signing of SamB.

I like Daniels over Sanchez, so if their salaries where negligible I would take Chase over Mark. His last contract was 3yr(s)/$10m. His next contract should be in that same realm.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 3 2016, 09:25 AM) *
I like Daniels over Sanchez, so if their salaries where negligible I would take Chase over Mark. His last contract was 3yr(s)/$10m. His next contract should be in that same realm.

What does anyone outside of Pederson know about Daniel?
koolaidluke
I think the success of the Bronco's this year proves that "need" really does not exist on the offensive side of the ball beyond needing a QB who is at least serviceable. That being the case, I'm really not to concerned about our offense.

And we are in decent shape, from a talent perspective, on the defensive side of the ball. We have a good front 7 and one of the best defensive backfields in the league. I feel like we are in a position where we can just draft guys we like and not worry about filling a given slot. I just don't see any big holes on this team.
Joegrane
Why would they cut Sanchez when last year they got a pick for Matt Barkley?

QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 2 2016, 09:46 PM) *

Zero
I'd be surprised if they cut Sanchez. He apparently is a good teammate, a capable backup and works willingly with the other QBs. If Pederson thinks Daniel would be a better mentor and less expensive ... and if Daniel is willing to leave KC I think they'd try to trade him like you say.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 3 2016, 03:35 PM) *
What does anyone outside of Pederson know about Daniel?

I know he's not sanchez, and therefore like him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.