Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this the least excited you've ever been about an Eagles Season?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
I'm on board with the Pederson higher. Thought he did a great job in KC and it feels like the team is starting to get back to basics. Also like the choice of Schwartz for DC. I also feel like this team has a lot of talent and is primed for a quick turnaround just like Chip accomplished a few years back.

And yet I really don't feel excited for the season and I don't think that it's just me. I think it's a result of the extreme demoralization of last year followed by replacing Chip with Pederson. Even if Pederson ends up being a great coach, he's boring, just like Andy was. And whatever you think about Chip, he wasn't boring.

One thing that bothers me about last year is I just don't understand what went wrong. In Reid's last year there were a multitude of things that just fell apart and cascaded in that terrible season but last year was just weird. The team was playing at a high level through the first half of the season, they were just a hair off. And then everything fell apart after the panthers game, especially the defense. I just don't get it. In fact, I think a lot of the players criticizing Chip after he left was because they were as lost as we were, and were just grasping for some type of explanation for why everything went so sour so fast.

I think it's going to take me awhile to emotionally recharge from the Chip Kelly era, particularly how it ended. Anybody else feel the same?

p.s.: i love the Bradford mini extension. If somebody doesn't like Bradford my question for them is, would you rather have Andy Dalton or Alex Smith? Because that is the absolute best you can reasonably hope for if you aren't picking in the top 5 in the right season. I would put Bradford above guys like Phillip Rivers even.
Zero
I'm always excited for the Eagles, especially this time of year when they're in s building mode ... not "rebuilding", but making the moves that will make or break the team.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 2 2016, 10:49 AM) *
One thing that bothers me about last year is I just don't understand what went wrong.

Honestly, it felt to me like Chip gave up because he hated working with Lurie and Roseman. His offense is fundamentally basic, but there were always wrinkles that could keep defenses on their heals. He didn't seem to try to do any of that last year.

As for Bradford, I'm okay with the extension because it allows us to compete for the division for the next year or two while we groom someone long term. Overall, I think he's not very good though. I'm not sure if his timidness comes from the injuries or something else, but my biggest disappointment with him is his deep accuracy.

He appears to be a classic example of a college spread guy that just can't make the adjustment to the NFL game. It's a pretty big epidemic in modern football.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 2 2016, 12:16 PM) *
Honestly, it felt to me like Chip gave up because he hated working with Lurie and Roseman. His offense is fundamentally basic, but there were always wrinkles that could keep defenses on their heals. He didn't seem to try to do any of that last year.

As for Bradford, I'm okay with the extension because it allows us to compete for the division for the next year or two while we groom someone long term. Overall, I think he's not very good though. I'm not sure if his timidness comes from the injuries or something else, but my biggest disappointment with him is his deep accuracy.

He appears to be a classic example of a college spread guy that just can't make the adjustment to the NFL game. It's a pretty big epidemic in modern football.

You do realize that he was 4th in plays over 40 yards and most of those came in the last 7 games when he, you know, started throwing deep?

You are a tough one to figure out.....he spent the first 7 games dinking and dunking and rarely throwing long and then he morphed into a confident guy in the locker room and on the field, as acknowledged by all his teammates and you disregard that and see him as timid? He was not perfect but the change was noticeable and so was his penchant for going downfield...but hey, Hack is going to be the next whatever. Your QB evaluations at this point are highly suspect, stick to WRs. lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 2 2016, 11:59 AM) *
You do realize that he was 4th in plays over 40 yards and most of those came in the last 7 games when he, you know, started throwing deep?

You are a tough one to figure out.....he spent the first 7 games dinking and dunking and rarely throwing long and then he morphed into a confident guy in the locker room and on the field, as acknowledged by all his teammates and you disregard that and see him as timid? He was not perfect but the change was noticeable and so was his penchant for going downfield...but hey, Hack is going to be the next whatever. Your QB evaluations at this point are highly suspect, stick to WRs. lol

He has been statistically the worst QB in the NFL during his career. But sure...talk about those awesome 7 games (where he was like the 12th best guy in the league).
mcnabbulous
I'll give you credit though, RF. If you never ever draft a QB, you never have to be wrong about them.

You'll also never win shit, but you've never really played in reality anyways.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 2 2016, 02:35 PM) *
He has been statistically the worst QB in the NFL during his career. But sure...talk about those awesome 7 games (where he was like the 12th best guy in the league).

You like it both ways...you say he can't go deep but then ignore the FACT that he was 4th in the league in plays over 40 yards and if he was that high after those 7 amazing games than think how high he could be if he wasn't just coming back from 2 ACLs and 18 months of no football in a new offense with a new team.......no, it is all Madden to you

The Rams were bad before he got there and have been bad since but I guess that is his fault? Maybe it was his fault that they were 6-42 the 3 years before he got there.....it is called playing for a bad organization......

I like how you use that logic for Bradford but you champion Mr. 50% completion rate because he can read defenses pre snap (according to you)...he just can't throw to a spot..is it his 79th ranking in passing efficiency? Or that he got worse each year? It is funny how you make the same excuses for Hack that you dismiss for Bradford...

You are a beauty

The Franchise
By the end of Reid's tenure I was basically dreading each season, knowing there was never a chance that we would win anything with him as coach. But never have I been less excited entering a season than I was for 2015. Once our genius got rid of McCoy and Maclin, I knew he had completely jumped the shark. What a complete and utter fraud.

I'm actually looking forward to this season, as I think we can bounce right back and win 9-10 games. Hopefully one or two of our WR's steps it up a bit, but Pederson will utilize Ertz well anyway, and Schwartz is an excellent defensive coach. Now we can watch Chip destroy SF and get Jed York grounded for a couple years.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 2 2016, 06:33 PM) *
You like it both ways...you say he can't go deep but then ignore the FACT that he was 4th in the league in plays over 40 yards and if he was that high after those 7 amazing games than think how high he could be if he wasn't just coming back from 2 ACLs and 18 months of no football in a new offense with a new team.......no, it is all Madden to you

I never said he can't go deep. I just said I'm disappointed with his deep accuracy, which looked elite in college. Nothing about his career suggests that has been the case and I didn't see it this year.

The Rams were bad before he got there and have been bad since but I guess that is his fault? Maybe it was his fault that they were 6-42 the 3 years before he got there.....it is called playing for a bad organization......

Hey man, I made all these same excuses for him leading up to this past season. I watched him for a year. He didn't impress me. It seemed like everything that occurred in St. Louis was what I saw here. With that said, I still was fine with them giving him an extension this year. He's still somewhat of an enigma, but my hopes aren't high.

I like how you use that logic for Bradford but you champion Mr. 50% completion rate because he can read defenses pre snap (according to you)...he just can't throw to a spot..is it his 79th ranking in passing efficiency? Or that he got worse each year? It is funny how you make the same excuses for Hack that you dismiss for Bradford...

Hack is 20 and played for a roster depleted by sanctions. Bradford is heading into his his age 29 season and has accomplished absolutely nothing in his career.

You are a beauty

And you never think any QBs are worth drafting. So I really don't give a shit about your weak ass, bet hedging opinions.
Joegrane
I'm looking forward to the season, especially the growth of the defense.

They are gradually (re)building the team.

I'd like to see a low 1st round right OT/OG fill the hole at OG until the Right OT spot opens up.

I bet the WRs will look somewhat better due to better coaching and more familiarity with Bradford.

In the first three rounds they might draft the RB of the future, a safety, OG, backup/developmental QB, maybe a very quick but small WR.

There should be plenty of interesting plot lines and they should not be a bad team--as long as SamB stays healthy.

I just don't have any playoff expectations.
koolaidluke
Maclin was a mistake, but I still think McCoy was the right move.

Going into last season I felt like the Eagles were legit SuperBowl contenders. I called for 10-6, a division title and a loss in the first round of the playoffs but I also felt like the sky was the limit. I had been a skeptic the previous 2 seasons.

I think most people were really excited about last season even though nobody really knew what to expect.

I guess the emotional "high low" hasn't effected other people as much as it's effected me. Maybe I'm just weird.
The Franchise
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 3 2016, 11:00 AM) *
Going into last season I felt like the Eagles were legit SuperBowl contenders. I called for 10-6, a division title and a loss in the first round of the playoffs but I also felt like the sky was the limit. I had been a skeptic the previous 2 seasons.

I called 6-10. I would've been right too if they didn't fire Chip before the last game. tongue.gif

DJax was one thing - but once he started culling our talent left and right I knew we were finished. The good thing to come out of all this is we can probably count on Lurie not to roll the dice on any more college fads.
Phits
This is definitely the least excited I have been for a season in some time. That's probably a good thing, since my expectations are extremely low.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 2 2016, 09:34 PM) *
And you never think any QBs are worth drafting. So I really don't give a shit about your weak ass, bet hedging opinions.

I don't talk about any draft choices very much and there is a reason for that....I have no clue....there are so many players and to see a few PSU guys does not make me an expert....some guys were easy to spot...Russell Wilson was a warrior.I watched a lot of him at Wisconsin and he just made them win..guys like that did not take genius....but I don't see enough of all the guys out there and I watch a hell of a lot of college football. I still have little clue whether a guy translates to the NFL. Guys I think will don't and guys I would never guess do....I learned a long time ago that I only guess and it is rare that I know enough to take a firm stand on a college guy.

Your problem is that you think you have a clue, you fancy yourself a draft expert for some unknown reason....and the only player you have gotten right is at one of the easiest positions to guess at...you have been mostly wrong. For some reason you have anointed yourself as a football sage and I can't figure that out. You are routinely wrong on most things football from scheme to talent yet you pontificate as if you were John Madden's lifelong assistant...what gives?

There are QBs worth drafting....just not this year...Lynch is a duck-footed runner....maybe Wentz of Goff are great but I would wager that one of the later round guys goes as far or farther than any one them. They just are not inspiring.
nephillymike
I am not down on the team, but then again, can't say I'm optimistic either.

We've signed a lot of people from a 7-9 team.

A lot from a sub par offense and a piss poor defense.

I have confidence in Howie being able to maneuver the draft board, but not much in his talent evaluation, especially THIS year with all of the turmoil in the scouting department. I have confidence in him being willing to sign FA"s, but not much in his ability to pick the right ones. The Pro Scouting department was in turmoil also. I think in order for this team to improve, it needs to do so from new talent and I worry that our investment in FA's may not be where we need it to be. Draft picks don't normally have a big impact year one. If we get one or two who makes a meaningful contribution year one, that's more than most. I like Pederson's steady hand, his demeanor, he looks the part. I'm concerned about him learning offensive play calling on the job. As a coach, I know I am a much better coach today after years of doing it then I was in my first or second year. That's tough to overcome.

We'll see. I don't think I'll be making my annual contribution to my sports advisement broker's kids college fund again this year by betting the over on Eagles wins for the year. Although at 7.5, it is tempting though............ devil03.gif
HobbEs
Least excited? I don't know if I would say that. The latter years of Andy's tenure I were probably the worst for me.

On the other hand, I'm not optimistic either. It's more a state of curiosity that I feel. I wasn't on board with the Pederson hiring and didn't like the fact that Howie was given control. But since then Howie has made all the right moves locking up our young talent. Also, after listening to Pederson talk everything he says makes sense and he sounds like he's got a good head about him. The Schwartz hiring and the return of the 4-3 has me interested.

What happens in FA & the draft remain to be seen. Has Howie learned how to be a real NFL GM while he was banished?

Will what Doug is preaching carry over to the field? Can he be a better game day coach than Andy?

These are all questions that will be answered in time. If anything, you can't say it's not interesting.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 3 2016, 07:04 PM) *
I don't talk about any draft choices very much and there is a reason for that....I have no clue....there are so many players and to see a few PSU guys does not make me an expert

Here's the thing about NFL draft analysts and most personnel guys. They don't have a clue either. It's a total crapshoot. The fact that 1/3 of the guys share the same last name with famous dads is no coincidence. The fact that so many first round picks bust and several undrafted guys every year succeed is no coincidence.

The fact that I (and you apparently) watch every PSU game makes us more than qualified to comment on the pro prospects of PSU players. As a younger man, I watched tons of college football. I then got to a point where I primarily was watching Big 10 guys. Now I really only get to watch a lot of PSU guys. Those are really the only guys I form opinions on at this point.

Despite everyone's thoughts, I never actually gave a strong opinion on Geno Smith's ability because I had only seen a handful of his games. I'm just a firm believer that unless you have a QB, you should bring them in by the bushel. Geno had all the physical tools and tons of production. I knew he would take some time to develop, but I thought that with the right coaching, those tools could be maximized. I believed Chip could be the guy to do that.

....some guys were easy to spot...Russell Wilson was a warrior.I watched a lot of him at Wisconsin and he just made them win..guys like that did not take genius....

Hahahahhahahahahhahhaha. Alright, buddy. Russell Wilson was so easy to spot that he was passed over 74 times in the draft. So easy to spot that you didn't once mention him before or after the draft.

But yeah, after four excellent seasons and a Super Bowl win, he was a sure thing. You're a real hero. You're so full of shit it's no wonder it seeps through your finger tips onto this message board.

but I don't see enough of all the guys out there and I watch a hell of a lot of college football. I still have little clue whether a guy translates to the NFL. Guys I think will don't and guys I would never guess do....I learned a long time ago that I only guess and it is rare that I know enough to take a firm stand on a college guy.

I'm the same, as it relates to most other guys besides PSU guys. I don't watch enough of them.

There are some exceptions year in and year out, but my opinions on draft picks are almost entirely value based. I believe in taking QB's, ass rushers, and coverage DBs early. Beyond that, you're mostly not getting value IMO. Rarely do I offer a strong opinion on specific players' abilities.

Your problem is that you think you have a clue, you fancy yourself a draft expert for some unknown reason....and the only player you have gotten right is at one of the easiest positions to guess at...you have been mostly wrong. For some reason you have anointed yourself as a football sage and I can't figure that out. You are routinely wrong on most things football from scheme to talent yet you pontificate as if you were John Madden's lifelong assistant...what gives?

You've got that backwards. I've gotten far more right on this board than wrong. I'd be happy to point you to a few of them, but the list is long and includes guys like Tony Hunt, Poz, Brandon Graham, Danny Watkins, Abiamiri, Desean. I've never shied away from my opinions and I'm happy to use the search feature to prove you wrong. That never gets old.

There are QBs worth drafting....just not this year...Lynch is a duck-footed runner....maybe Wentz of Goff are great but I would wager that one of the later round guys goes as far or farther than any one them. They just are not inspiring.

But wait, you claim not to be an expert, but almost every expert has each of those guys in the first round. I assume you've watched quite a bit of Lynch and Wentz at Memphis and NDSU, respectively?

Saying that a QB isn't going to be good is the weakest shit possible. Statistically you're almost guaranteed to be right, because most QB's aren't good. QB evaluation is hard as hell, because most of these guys have never done half the shit required of NFL QBs. You have to project based almost entirely on physical traits.

That's what makes Hack such a unique situation. He actually has a full season of tape in an NFL pro-style offense. And he performed extremely well. Which is why I'm comfortable saying that he will be a successful pro. No hedging.

But you've already declared this 20 year old, who was playing for a sanction depleted roster, a bust. Time will tell. But you're usually wrong, so I feel good about it.

HobbEs
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 4 2016, 01:27 PM) *
Here's the thing about NFL draft analysts and most personnel guys. They don't have a clue either. It's a total crapshoot. The fact that 1/3 of the guys share the same last name with famous dads is no coincidence. The fact that so many first round picks bust and several undrafted guys every year succeed is no coincidence.

The fact that I (and you apparently) watch every PSU game makes us more than qualified to comment on the pro prospects of PSU players. As a younger man, I watched tons of college football. I then got to a point where I primarily was watching Big 10 guys. Now I really only get to watch a lot of PSU guys. Those are really the only guys I form opinions on at this point.

Despite everyone's thoughts, I never actually gave a strong opinion on Geno Smith's ability because I had only seen a handful of his games. I'm just a firm believer that unless you have a QB, you should bring them in by the bushel. Geno had all the physical tools and tons of production. I knew he would take some time to develop, but I thought that with the right coaching, those tools could be maximized. I believed Chip could be the guy to do that.

Hahahahhahahahahhahhaha. Alright, buddy. Russell Wilson was so easy to spot that he was passed over 74 times in the draft. So easy to spot that you didn't once mention him before or after the draft.

But yeah, after four excellent seasons and a Super Bowl win, he was a sure thing. You're a real hero. You're so full of shit it's no wonder it seeps through your finger tips onto this message board.

I'm the same, as it relates to most other guys besides PSU guys. I don't watch enough of them.

There are some exceptions year in and year out, but my opinions on draft picks are almost entirely value based. I believe in taking QB's, ass rushers, and coverage DBs early. Beyond that, you're mostly not getting value IMO. Rarely do I offer a strong opinion on specific players' abilities.

You've got that backwards. I've gotten far more right on this board than wrong. I'd be happy to point you to a few of them, but the list is long and includes guys like Tony Hunt, Poz, Brandon Graham, Danny Watkins, Abiamiri, Desean. I've never shied away from my opinions and I'm happy to use the search feature to prove you wrong. That never gets old.

But wait, you claim not to be an expert, but almost every expert has each of those guys in the first round. I assume you've watched quite a bit of Lynch and Wentz at Memphis and NDSU, respectively?

Saying that a QB isn't going to be good is the weakest shit possible. Statistically you're almost guaranteed to be right, because most QB's aren't good. QB evaluation is hard as hell, because most of these guys have never done half the shit required of NFL QBs. You have to project based almost entirely on physical traits.

That's what makes Hack such a unique situation. He actually has a full season of tape in an NFL pro-style offense. And he performed extremely well. Which is why I'm comfortable saying that he will be a successful pro. No hedging.

But you've already declared this 20 year old, who was playing for a sanction depleted roster, a bust. Time will tell. But you're usually wrong, so I feel good about it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.