Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you have done this deal?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Just trying to get the vibe of the board.
Zero
I think there should be a high QB pick and a later round .... 6 to UDFA.
Dreagon
I think this deal was probably the best overall solution to the decision facing you. But i definitely think it also calls for you to draft a quarterback high.
Phits
I opted for a first round QB. That's strictly based on the popular picks at QB. That being said, I am banking on our scouting team being able to find a gem that can use a year (or two) of NFL seasoning and development before taking over the reigns. I don't know who this saviour might be....but I'm not being paid to find him smile.gif

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 2 2016, 07:17 AM) *
I think there should be a high QB pick and a later round .... 6 to UDFA.

I like the way you think. For me, your idea would be a best case scenario. Unfortunately, with the holes still left to fill I think we need to draft the best QB (according to our draft board) and use all remaining picks to shore up the roster depth. BPA would be the way to go.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 2 2016, 10:16 AM) *
I think this deal was probably the best overall solution to the decision facing you. But i definitely think it also calls for you to draft a quarterback high.

Agreed. I was against any long term deal. I was always of the opinion that Bradford hasn't shown enough this season to justify another long term pay day. However, he has shown an ability to function well (at times). Unbelievably, even at this stage in his career, his worth is still based on potential and not actual performance. A two year deal means he has a window to show and prove and drafting his (potential) replacement puts us in a better position long term.
mcnabbulous
Draft a QB early and often. Worry about filling the other pieces to complement a guy that works out at the most important position.
Reality Fan
This is a show me deal for Bradford and if he does well they extend him next year. If that is the case and with no really attractive guys beyond the first 2 they need to trade back, get more pick(s) and add depth elsewhere. They can grab a guy later like a Coker. This is a gamble year, I would hate to see them gamble high on a guy AND gamble on Bradford. Sam is only 28...if he has a great year and they extend him than the guy they took high has nowhere to go and you wasted a high pick on a back up who we will have no idea about for years. The Rodgers dynamic is an exception.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 2 2016, 12:53 PM) *
Sam is only 28...if he has a great year and they extend him than the guy they took high has nowhere to go and you wasted a high pick on a back up who we will have no idea about for years. The Rodgers dynamic is an exception.

Even if Sam has a great year you trade him to another QB starved team for a couple of good draft picks. With his injury history Bradford is a high risk commodity. With a full year in the system, the right QB should be competent enough to give an indication of how well he can do.

Properly developing a QB should not be the exception...expecting a rookie QB to be NFL ready should be the exception.
Pila
With the exception of another catastrophic injury, I feel Bradford will be signed long-term long before this deal is up.

By the time the season was rolling along (Bradford's return from injury), Bradford was playing like a real franchise QB, despite lackluster line and WR play and an unimaginative playbook. He was decisive, quick, tough and accurate. His billing surfaced.

I have no idea what to expect from Pederson, but this (Bradford) is a positive step in the right direction.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 2 2016, 02:04 PM) *
Even if Sam has a great year you trade him to another QB starved team for a couple of good draft picks. With his injury history Bradford is a high risk commodity. With a full year in the system, the right QB should be competent enough to give an indication of how well he can do.

Properly developing a QB should not be the exception...expecting a rookie QB to be NFL ready should be the exception.

So Bradford has a great year and you trade him? Are you drinking? Do you realize what that would do to the fan base or how ridiculous that is? If he plays great there is only one outcome, he gets a big extension......if he plays OK you might have a shot but only if his OK play results in a 7-9 type season
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 2 2016, 02:16 PM) *
So Bradford has a great year and you trade him?

Nick Foles had a great season and we traded him.
McNabb had a great (final) season as an Eagle and we traded him.
A great season does not make you a franchise QB. Bradford has had one too many injuries for my liking. I would rather start with a new QB who develops his habits (good/bad) from our system.

Do you realize what that would do to the fan base or how ridiculous that is?

Expectations are low right now. It's better to bring to look to the future rather than patch up the past. That's a lesson learned from Chip's first and second season.

If he plays great there is only one outcome, he gets a big extension......if he plays OK you might have a shot but only if his OK play results in a 7-9 type season

We'll be drafting our future QB. Bradford's just an expensive placeholder until our new QB is ready.
Eyrie
I think we overpaid, he'll play 28+ games in two years (remember I'd fix the OL) and I'd pick a QB in round three to develop behind Bradford.

Then for 2018 I hope that either Bradford plays well enough to deserve a new deal or that the rookie will be ready to start after two years of learning.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 2 2016, 02:27 PM) *
Nick Foles had a great season and we traded him.
McNabb had a great (final) season as an Eagle and we traded him.
A great season does not make you a franchise QB. Bradford has had one too many injuries for my liking. I would rather start with a new QB who develops his habits (good/bad) from our system.

Expectations are low right now. It's better to bring to look to the future rather than patch up the past. That's a lesson learned from Chip's first and second season.

We'll be drafting our future QB. Bradford's just an expensive placeholder until our new QB is ready.

First...we traded Foles after a bad season...not after his "great" season...a season many of us have pointed out was fraught with a lot of luck...fun to watch...but a lot of luck

I kind of agree on the 2nd one but McNabb had kind of burned out here....people were tired of him...but you are not wrong on this one..

At this stage...if Bradford has a 30/15 season...64% completions....4,000 yards 10-6 then he is here for 4 more years...

And I will wager that they do not take a QB at 13....
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 2 2016, 07:45 PM) *
First...we traded Foles after a bad season...not after his "great" season...a season many of us have pointed out was fraught with a lot of luck...fun to watch...but a lot of luck

I kind of agree on the 2nd one but McNabb had kind of burned out here....people were tired of him...but you are not wrong on this one..

At this stage...if Bradford has a 30/15 season...64% completions....4,000 yards 10-6 then he is here for 4 more years...

And I will wager that they do not take a QB at 13....

Agree about the likelihood of 13. Howie is an aggressive draft day mover, for good or bad. I'm betting he moves down from 13 to get a second rounder.

Bradford's experienced the perfect storm of financial security and had the worst string of bad luck of any QB I can think of. After transitioning from a spread offense in OK to the WCO he had a breakout year as a rookie, no small feat. Then he had a high ankle sprain followed by back-to-back knee injuries. Four years, one knock out, three injuries and then Philadelphia. Aside from legitimate injury concerns, how can anyone know if this guy will be good or not? The key is keeping him healthy even if he's to be a place holder. That doesn't add up to a QB at 13 unless he is clearly the BPA and even then it may make more sense to trade down.
Phits
Of the 12 team drafting ahead of us CLE and SF are the only teams with dire QB issues.

Here's the top 5 QB draft prospects: (the projected round in brackets)
1. Jared Goff, California (1)
2. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State (1)
3. Connor Cook, Michigan State (1-2)
4. Paxton Lynch, Memphis (2)
5. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State (2-3)

Unless we plan on tanking the next few seasons, the Iggles shouldn't be drafting this high for a number of years.

QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 2 2016, 08:13 PM) *
Agree about the likelihood of 13. Howie is an aggressive draft day mover, for good or bad. I'm betting he moves down from 13 to get a second rounder.

Bradford's experienced the perfect storm of financial security and had the worst string of bad luck of any QB I can think of. After transitioning from a spread offense in OK to the WCO he had a breakout year as a rookie, no small feat. Then he had a high ankle sprain followed by back-to-back knee injuries. Four years, one knock out, three injuries and then Philadelphia. Aside from legitimate injury concerns, how can anyone know if this guy will be good or not? The key is keeping him healthy even if he's to be a place holder. That doesn't add up to a QB at 13 unless he is clearly the BPA and even then it may make more sense to trade down.

Joegrane
It is much easier to vote yes after seeing the <$13 mil price tag for this year.

They could also trade down just a little in the 1st, pick up a 3rd and then use two of their three 3rds to move up into the 2nd round.

SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 1 2016, 10:02 PM) *
Just trying to get the vibe of the board.

I voted yes, less than 22 and 1st round

Yes - because I wanted to see more of him before signing him to a long term, franchise contract, and in my opinion they went about it the right way. (If he didn't agree to a contract, I would have tagged him.) I am glad he will be on this team next season. Would I like to have gotten him for less? Sure, but hopefully this could turn out to be well worth every dollar.

Less than 22 - because by the end of next season --- of which he will most likely (hopefully) only miss a couple/few games to injury --- they will either part ways with him, or tear up this contract and give him the franchise one.

1st round - because QB is the most important position in the game, and I would like to have a top notch one to build around in the future. There are no quick fixes. Regardless of what some may think, this isn't going to happen overnight. Hear that Chipper? I had feeling last year was going to be a problem when in the off season he decided to gut the team and go Dream Team II on us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.