Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deal done.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
They ended up bidding themselves up to keep the term short....

Dumb....very dumb...
Dreagon
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 04:14 PM) *

Dumb....very dumb...

I give them a little more credit. I think they honestly weren't sure what they had in Bradford, but definitely felt he was the best QB available for the short term. That contract reinforces that. If I were a betting man, I would increase the odds that they are going to pick a QB in the first three rounds.
Eyrie
Happy to keep Bradford, but that seems expensive.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 10:14 PM) *

Dumb....very dumb...

So are you buying or is Mikey?

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 1 2016, 10:59 PM) *
I give them a little more credit. I think they honestly weren't sure what they had in Bradford, but definitely felt he was the best QB available for the short term. That contract reinforces that. If I were a betting man, I would increase the odds that they are going to pick a QB in the first three rounds.

What odds would you get for a certainty?
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 05:14 PM) *

Dumb....very dumb...

It wasn't that long ago that you were sold on Bradford being the "answer". Have you changed your mind?
Zero

Dumb....very dumb...

Basically the same as he played for last year. Not dumb at all. He's their best hope for reasonable QB play and for way below the franchise number. Good move, IMO.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 1 2016, 06:29 PM) *
It wasn't that long ago that you were sold on Bradford being the "answer". Have you changed your mind?

I haven't changed my mind...I like him as a QB but they overpaid...there was no other interest in him...none...the Texans were vocal about their lack of interest....Denver and the Jets both said they were staying in house....there was nowhere for him to go....once again Howie bid against himself...
Dreagon
On a side note. Since Denver tagged Von Miller it, reports are now that they may let Oswieler hit free agency. I'm not sure what they are thinking over there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans didn't sit up and take notice of that news.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 1 2016, 06:35 PM) *
Basically the same as he played for last year. Not dumb at all. He's their best hope for reasonable QB play and for way below the franchise number. Good move, IMO.

Very dumb.....again...I sound like a broken record here but the was no one interested in paying him even double digits....if at all....no team was interested.......every team with a need at QB was looking elsewhere.....you don't overpay a guy for the hell of it...had he taken them to the playoffs last year then I pay him...he is still in the proving stage.

I will wait til the actual numbers come out to lose my mind....but I think Kelly may have gotten in Howie's head...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 1 2016, 06:08 PM) *

That is a good question....not sure since it is only 2 years but I think I am...
The Franchise
Good. Finally. Now let's get him a couple weapons.
Joegrane
I'm surprised at the price tag, although not unhappy. I think Bradford will be at least okay as long as his health holds up.

I think Bradford can lead a team to a playoff win as long as the D is above average. I am confident Schwartz will build an above average D.

Maybe it says something about their confidence in the QBs they think will be available @ 13.

Since this is only a two-year deal I won't be surprised if Sanchez is retained.

I'll be surprised if they don't draft a QB in round 2 or 3.

I expect them to trade down in round 1, maybe even to near the bottom of the round. Any chance they like Lynch better there and he gets past the Rams @ 15? I doubt we'll be drafting Lynch.

Dumb....very dumb...
Rick
I love how everyone always KNOWS without a doubt things like, nobody was interested in him. Nobody was going to pay him anything, etc. NONE of us knows as NONE of us were involved in any of this.

Either way, the deal is done. I don't think it's terribly-excessive. $26 million guaranteed, that's it. Yes, he can earn more, but I'm ok with that. Also, it's only 2 years so if he does actually suck, they're not stuck with a huge cap hit for someone who sucks for a long period.

This will give him time to show us he is good and give the Eagles time to determine whether he is actually good.

It's a win-win situation to be quite honest.

Could it backfire? Sure, ANY move can backfire. But I don't mind this move at all.

Zero
Plus, who is better right now? Daniel? Griffin? Kaepernick? All have questions at best. Bradford continues the theme of continuity. The players supposedly wanted him back. Don't underestimate the locker room effect with keeping him, going into FA with the team relatively intact and a positive attitude. Two years is good for both sides and fits perfectly with drafting a kid. Bradford/Sanchez give the kid time to learn and they still have $17,118,040 left, $6,568,108 for rookies ... net $10,549,932 max to spend on FA and I wouldn't be surprised if Howie doesn't restructure other contracts, cut or trade someone. Not a windfall, but good enough to fill a couple of holes.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 1 2016, 08:19 PM) *
I love how everyone always KNOWS without a doubt things like, nobody was interested in him. Nobody was going to pay him anything, etc. NONE of us knows as NONE of us were involved in any of this.

Either way, the deal is done. I don't think it's terribly-excessive. $26 million guaranteed, that's it. Yes, he can earn more, but I'm ok with that. Also, it's only 2 years so if he does actually suck, they're not stuck with a huge cap hit for someone who sucks for a long period.

This will give him time to show us he is good and give the Eagles time to determine whether he is actually good.

It's a win-win situation to be quite honest.

Could it backfire? Sure, ANY move can backfire. But I don't mind this move at all.

I am glad you love it because the entire QB market has been well covered by the media and teams like the Texans came right out and said they have no interest as did the Browns and Denver and the Jets both said they were staying in house...So unless someone had their head up their ass or in the sand the market was quite clear to the point where all the beat writers in Philly were now crowing about how there was no market left for Bradford other than the Eagles....but maybe they don't know either...I mean it is their only job....

There is no bright spot here...they get little or no cap relief in year one because it is a 2 year deal...they get no bargain....they overpay because only an absolute idiot pays 18 per year for a QB to "prove" himself....you pay 18 to the guy who has already proven himself. So it chews up most of their remaining cap room this year...

It is the 2 year deal that really makes it suck and more proof that Condon knew there was no market because no QB Bradford's age wants a 2 year contract....I wanted him to sign but they fucked up the numbers...

Update: They did push a big chunk into the 2nd year ...year 1 cap hit is only 12.5
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 1 2016, 06:08 PM) *

Yes!!!! Mikey is buying!!! deal is 2 years 35 million.......whew....close one

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...nus-guarantees/
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 08:37 PM) *
I am glad you love it because the entire QB market has been well covered by the media and teams like the Texans came right out and said they have no interest as did the Browns and Denver and the Jets both said they were staying in house...So unless someone had their head up their ass or in the sand the market was quite clear to the point where all the beat writers in Philly were now crowing about how there was no market left for Bradford other than the Eagles....but maybe they don't know either...I mean it is their only job....

There is no bright spot here...they get little or no cap relief in year one because it is a 2 year deal...they get no bargain....they overpay because only an absolute idiot pays 18 per year for a QB to "prove" himself....you pay 18 to the guy who has already proven himself. So it chews up most of their remaining cap room this year...

It is the 2 year deal that really makes it suck and more proof that Condon knew there was no market because no QB Bradford's age wants a 2 year contract....I wanted him to sign but they fucked up the numbers...

So the guy who continually derides the sports writers starts his argument by using those same writers to support his theory. C'mon. Then you continue by saying there's no bright spot yet close by saying you wanted to sign him. The end result is that you think they're paying the guy you wanted them to sign too much. Fair enough, but if you wanted them to sign him how do you say there's no bright spot?
nd9kel
The Eagles can now plan their offense with a known QB. Bradford was very good in 2010 in a WCO offense, which Pederson is experienced with. I'm sure Reich brings a more wide-open variation of it from San Diego. It should be a system that Bradford can thrive in even though it's the first year for it here.

Hopefully Agholor brings the performance that usually accompanies the second year; usually the most improved year for skill people. Hopefully JM is catching tennis balls like crazy. Hopefully they all have a productive off-season working out together....the first one Sam has had in three years to dedicate to on-field performance. Hopefully the o-line is enhanced.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 1 2016, 08:57 PM) *
So the guy who continually derides the sports writers starts his argument by using those same writers to support his theory. C'mon. Then you continue by saying there's no bright spot yet close by saying you wanted to sign him. The end result is that you think they're paying the guy you wanted them to sign too much. Fair enough, but if you wanted them to sign him how do you say there's no bright spot?

I deride specific writers and their lack of effort and the fact that they finally realized how bad the market was to the point that they actually run with it is an indictment on their laziness. I merely looked at the teams without a set QB and worked back from there by reading up on their plans, the statements they made as a team, their cap space and who they needed to resign, extend or FA holes they needed to fill....this wasn't hard to predict when you do a little digging. In the last 2 weeks it really crystallized with teams going public with their plans.

I wanted Bradford but I wanted the number to be more reasonable so they could sign a FA or 2...the breakdown on PFT paints a much better contract than originally reported.......only 22 million guaranteed so they can get out in year 2 for 4 million.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 10:14 PM) *
In the last 2 weeks it really crystallized with teams going public with their plans.

That's about as unreliable as you can get.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 1 2016, 10:31 PM) *
That's about as unreliable as you can get.

There is subterfuge and then there is reality like the Texans owner coming out and telling his FO and the Texan fans that they are not going to overspend on retreads anymore and that it is time to draft their guy...

Or the Browns making it clear that they will draft their QB...

In the Texans case it hurts them trying to trade up to say that so I can see why you think that is a smoke screen.(sarcasm)

Osweiler and Fitzpatrick were low hanging fruit to predict....

It wasn't just one thing here, when you look at each team and the entire picture it was pretty easy to see.
Phits
By your own accord, this is a weak QB draft class. Something doesn't smell right when you have multiple teams (desperate for QB stability) express the desire to draft the guy to be the cornerstone to their respective franchise(s).

Alternatively, this may serve McNabbulous' point that Houston's HC is likely to go for his boy "Hack" in the later rounds.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 10:41 PM) *
There is subterfuge and then there is reality like the Texans owner coming out and telling his FO and the Texan fans that they are not going to overspend on retreads anymore and that it is time to draft their guy...

In the Texans case it hurts them trying to trade up to say that so I can see why you think that is a smoke screen.(sarcasm)

It wasn't just one thing here, when you look at each team and the entire picture it was pretty easy to see.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 1 2016, 10:01 PM) *
Alternatively, this may serve McNabbulous' point that Houston's HC is likely to go for his boy "Hack" in the later rounds.

It's not gonna be later rounds.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 1 2016, 11:28 PM) *
It's not gonna be later rounds.

Hey Nabby, what is your over/under on the pick where Hack gets drafted (ie, pick #31 means hell go last pick in 1st, pick #63 = last pick of 2nd etc.

Where do you set the over/under line?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Mar 1 2016, 11:01 PM) *
By your own accord, this is a weak QB draft class. Something doesn't smell right when you have multiple teams (desperate for QB stability) express the desire to draft the guy to be the cornerstone to their respective franchise(s).

I think you are onto something there....Houston does not trade up and takes Hack in the later rounds...

The Browns will draft one of the only 2 guys who are worth the risk...the Cowboys may take the other...but the Texans take a huge risk if they are banking on Hack...I know nabby loves him but having throwing issues on the short passes when you are in shorts is not a good sign..and while I could blame Franklin for Hack's drop in production from a scheme standpoint I can't blame Franklin for passes that Hack was never good at, even with O'Brien.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 10:47 PM) *
I think you are onto something there....Houston does not trade up and takes Hack in the later rounds...

The Browns will draft one of the only 2 guys who are worth the risk...the Cowboys may take the other...but the Texans take a huge risk if they are banking on Hack...I know nabby loves him but having throwing issues on the short passes when you are in shorts is not a good sign..and while I could blame Franklin for Hack's drop in production from a scheme standpoint I can't blame Franklin for passes that Hack was never good at, even with O'Brien.

I think we take either Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, or Bosa (although I hear Bosa didn't impress at the combine as much as he shoult) in that order. If those three are gone when we come up, THEN Garrett may be able to beg Jerry into taking either Wentz or Goff.

I also think Houston is interested in Hackenburg, but if Lynch falls that might make them look at him twice. And I know some ears perked up around here at the reports that Denver didn't tag Osweiller. The chance to get a young QB who has shown good development and went 5-2 as a starter, combined with the opportunity to hurt somebody they could face in the playoffs isn't lost on people down here.
Rick

Yet there have been plenty of reports saying there has been interest but no talk of dollar amounts. Just read an article on ESPN where they were trying to make sense about this deal. One of the things they mentioned is what goes on at the combine with teams all talking with each other and other agents. Maybe they did determine there was some interest in him. Maybe they determined there is more value to him than you think. You don't know because you weren't there. Neither was anyone else posting here.

Update: They did push a big chunk into the 2nd year ...year 1 cap hit is only 12.5

First of all, I'm not sure they released all of the details of the contract--maybe they have--but they've only guaranteed $26 million. I don't know what he has to do to earn the rest--roster bonuses? performance?

And the bright spot is, the Eagles QB controversy is over. One less piece of drama to worry about before the season. So move on.

I also don't think it's the best contract in the world. However, to be quite honest, we all get tied up in the numbers like they're spending OUR money. I couldn't care less (for the most part) what they spend on players. They're going to spend what they want to spend regardless of what we--the fans--think a player is worth. But, as you said, it's only their job to determine a players' value to the team. Performance is a big part of that determination (for sure) but there are other factors that go into it. Things like season ticket sales, merchandising, etc.

Bottom line is whether Bradford performs or not. If he performs then nobody will care about this amount of money. If he tanks, well, it'll be a lot more of these kinds of posts about him being over-paid. The deal is done. I have nothing against the guy. I have no problem cheering for him as the QB.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 1 2016, 10:41 PM) *

You should work for the NFL to help teams determine what they should and shouldn't do with players.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 1 2016, 05:59 PM) *

I agree that they aren't sure exactly what they have in Bradford, but in my opinion, he has shown me enough to sign him to a two year deal to find out.

As for Howie overpaying for him: he most likely didn't even want to take a chance on him getting to free agency and having to start over again, or worse yet, have Sanchez as the #1.

And I also agree that they should be looking to draft a QB early in the draft.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 1 2016, 06:40 PM) *
On a side note. Since Denver tagged Von Miller it, reports are now that they may let Oswieler hit free agency. I'm not sure what they are thinking over there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans didn't sit up and take notice of that news.

Not a chance. The only qb the texans have their sights set on is the great Christian Hackenberg bowdown.gif
Zero
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Mar 2 2016, 07:43 AM) *
Not a chance. The only qb the texans have their sights set on is the great Christian Hackenberg bowdown.gif

And in my professional opinion laugh.gif that would be very dumb.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 2 2016, 05:38 AM) *
Yet there have been plenty of reports saying there has been interest but no talk of dollar amounts. Just read an article on ESPN where they were trying to make sense about this deal. One of the things they mentioned is what goes on at the combine with teams all talking with each other and other agents. Maybe they did determine there was some interest in him. Maybe they determined there is more value to him than you think. You don't know because you weren't there. Neither was anyone else posting here.

First of all, I'm not sure they released all of the details of the contract--maybe they have--but they've only guaranteed $26 million. I don't know what he has to do to earn the rest--roster bonuses? performance?

And the bright spot is, the Eagles QB controversy is over. One less piece of drama to worry about before the season. So move on.

I also don't think it's the best contract in the world. However, to be quite honest, we all get tied up in the numbers like they're spending OUR money. I couldn't care less (for the most part) what they spend on players. They're going to spend what they want to spend regardless of what we--the fans--think a player is worth. But, as you said, it's only their job to determine a players' value to the team. Performance is a big part of that determination (for sure) but there are other factors that go into it. Things like season ticket sales, merchandising, etc.

Bottom line is whether Bradford performs or not. If he performs then nobody will care about this amount of money. If he tanks, well, it'll be a lot more of these kinds of posts about him being over-paid. The deal is done. I have nothing against the guy. I have no problem cheering for him as the QB.

They actually have released a lot more of the details...in fact they were out last night...the details are far more palatable than originally published and only 22 million is guaranteed....

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 2 2016, 05:40 AM) *
You should work for the NFL to help teams determine what they should and shouldn't do with players.

I know.....if I was 21 again that is the path I would take....

and poor attempt at sarcasm noted.....but I would work with the teams...not the NFL...that is pretty stupid to suggest the NFL rather than the teams themselves....that would smack of collusion....you are not real good at sarcasm, I suggest you avoid it
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 2 2016, 08:14 AM) *
They actually have released a lot more of the details...in fact they were out last night...the details are far more palatable than originally published and only 22 million is guaranteed....

That's even better. smile.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Mar 2 2016, 10:58 AM) *
That's even better. smile.gif

Yes....it is wierd how some local media are sticking with the initial details but PFT was pretty clear in the breakdown....their details make it an expensive but better deal.
bwc2112
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 1 2016, 08:34 PM) *
Plus, who is better right now? Daniel? Griffin? Kaepernick? All have questions at best. Bradford continues the theme of continuity. The players supposedly wanted him back. Don't underestimate the locker room effect with keeping him, going into FA with the team relatively intact and a positive attitude. Two years is good for both sides and fits perfectly with drafting a kid. Bradford/Sanchez give the kid time to learn and they still have $17,118,040 left, $6,568,108 for rookies ... net $10,549,932 max to spend on FA and I wouldn't be surprised if Howie doesn't restructure other contracts, cut or trade someone. Not a windfall, but good enough to fill a couple of holes.

I whole heartedly agree, Bad choices in the past. "The Dream Team" , Chip Kelly is our savior, .......... on and on.
Chip killed the locker room, "The Dream Team" imploded themselves. To much look at me drama.
We cant always have the Reggie Whites, Dawkins, Browns, Bergeys, and countless others every year. Although, Zero is right when you loose the Locker Room. The Fat Lady sings good night Irene.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.