Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Numbers Are In
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14858518...-every-position

League wide cap = $155M before carryover of unused

QB franchise = 20M
DT franchise = 13.6M (just sayin')

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Iggs 30.7M cap left.

Anyone open to franchising Sammy for a cool 20M?

Even if we don't squirrel away our $15M, still only leaves $10M of cap left for FA OG and FA WR.

As much as I like free wings and beer, I can't see the franchise tag.

Does anyone??

EDIT

Or better yet (for RF and Iggs), a transition tag of $17.7M? There is talk of Cousins being transitioned. We'd have the right to match any offers but wouldn't get draft picks if he goes elsewhere. He could be pissed and refuse to report to camp to learn a new offense though.
nephillymike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-footba...line-is-march-1

Interesting thing this transition tag process is.

If I'm reading this correctly,we have until 4 PM Tuesday to tag Bradford.

If we don't we can't tag him and we have until 4 PM March 9th to sign him to a deal or he becomes a free agent.

If we do tag him, we have until July 15th to sign him to a multi year deal, otherwise he plays for one year at the transition tag rate, unless he gets an offer.

If, after we tag him, he gets an offer, we need to match it exactly, otherwise he is free to sign with the other team with no picks in return.

If the tag is unsigned, I think that the player is not under contract and as such can't participate in team activities. If the tag is unsigned, the team can pull it back as we did with Trot and Simon.

That's a dangerous game for both team and player.

There is the argument that for another $2.3M, we can franchise him (20.0-17.7) and get picks if he goes elsewhere, so why not just franchise him. However, that starts the negotiating meter at a higher amount and that carries through to all years of the new long term contract if one is reached.

If we think we can handle the cap hit (debatable), I think we transition tag him and then sit and watch and see where it takes us. That would ensure he gets paid near 17M per year at least, so if you don't think he's worth that you let him go free to roam. But why not transition him to get right to match? Unless you're positive you won't pay that much.

Also, read the blurbs about poison pills, interesting stuff.
Joegrane
Thx for the #s.

I have no interest in Franchising SamB.

As we discussed previously the Transition tag's number is more reasonable. He might actually be worth it.

One reason to use it is to try to get something for Sam in a trade.

Another is to give your team another year to evaluate the player to better determine his value.

The problem is that Sam will likely make the Eagles better next year than the alternative QB. If you lose him after next year, you will be drafting at a spot that makes it more difficult to get a franchise QB.

A few weeks ago I though it was nearly a sure thing that one of the top three QBs would be available at #13. However, now with the talk of Kap wanting out of SF, they could be looking QB as well. The Eagles could lose Sam and not get one of the top three QBs.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 27 2016, 04:28 PM) *
Iggs 30.7M cap left.
Anyone open to franchising Sammy for a cool 20M?
a transition tag of $17.7M? ... We'd have the right to match any offers but wouldn't get draft picks if he goes elsewhere. He could be pissed and refuse to report to camp to learn a new offense though.

Eagle2720
Is there anyway to sign him to like a 3/4/5 year contract but just make his hit less next year and more in the other years? For example, like 17 this year, 12 next year, 20 the following and then 25 for the final year? This way we could see how he plays this year, then if not good we can try to find a trade partner who would accept a lower cap hit for next year and have the opportunity to negotiate the following years once he's on the team? This could be a pipe dream and not possible but it's an idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.