Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Slight Change In Approach Re: QB
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Z's mention of Howie's statements in the other post about how they may not roll forward as much cap as they have in the past has got me to thinking.

What if we knew that they would do both. They would shell out the cap for Bradford AND they would shell out money for FA WR, OG and (S or CB, ie Carroll or Thurmond). What if Lurie is as impatient as rumored and he wants to put it on the line?

In that case, if I knew I could get the three positions filled in FA like I suggest, then I would be cool with franchising Sam Bradford. I wouldn't be a fan of a long term deal yet because he's not there yet IMO.

If you cut out the Lurie cushion, maybe do a little better on the cap hits for the new 3 FA's, restructure Cox with a resign, then we can make it work for the cap this year. Put Bradford on a show me one year deal, which really may only be a 3/4 yr show me deal 'cause if he plays well, you resign him long term at that point. Draft a QB in the 3rd round, or trade that 3rd round pick for a young developing QB in the NFL already and off we go. If I have to pay $20M for average QB for one year, I give myself the chance to see if he can be the 12 rated above average QB PFF said he was. If not, all I lose is Jeff's cushion for a year that we would have never used anyway and I ended up getting a QB in the 3rd (2nd or 3rd if we trade down in the 1st) instead of the 1st this year. Possible one year set back with long term upside.

Now I don't really believe the Eagles will go balls to the wall with the cap as Howie hinted at. I've been around a long term and followed it closely so I tend to believe if it has never happened in 15 years it won't happen now, BUT, if they do, then I'm OK with it.

If they won't, then give me the 3 FA's and QB in round 1 with a Daniel's-Sanchez hedge.

Who's got my back and it taking that hill with me????????
PhillySteaks
BadFord is garbage ...one of conmans many mistakes...
We need a real franchise qb

Team is in full rebuild mode now..not retooling or plug and play like some have said in the past

Dark days ahead. ..
Dreagon
QUOTE (PhillySteaks @ Feb 21 2016, 06:05 PM) *
Team is in full rebuild mode now..not retooling or plug and play like some have said in the past

So is every team in the NFC East...except MAYBE Washington. They have been in rebuilding mode for so long they may have surprised themselves with finally having a team. Or maybe everybody else in their division just really sucked. I would hate to have money riding on how the East shakes out next year.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 21 2016, 06:28 PM) *
What if we knew that they would do both. They would shell out the cap for Bradford AND they would shell out money for FA WR, OG and (S or CB, ie Carroll or Thurmond). What if Lurie is as impatient as rumored and he wants to put it on the line?

If Lurie is as upset as we seem to think he is, he'll probably tell Howie to screw the reserves. We'll get a clue in FA.

I'd rather them sign Bradford for a two year deal ... he'd be 30. Assuming there's not the interest for him from other teams, that would benefit both sides. Bradford learning another new offense would have the time to learn and prove then profit. The Eagles would have a chance to see if he can stay standing and prove his stats wrong.

Either way, they draft a kid who will be learning. I heard Diddy talking up Dak Prescott, saying he needs some time but should go in the second. If they can trade down, get that second and an OL to add to a ready to play G in FA, etc. with an improved D this team could be ready to compete now.
Joegrane
I hope they don't have to do the 1 yr deal with Bradford. It pushes back the rebuild at the QB position and may make Cox nervous to sign an extension now.

Bradford will likely make them a better team this year. But if they can't get a deal done after next year they'll likely have a weaker draft pick and so be in a weaker position to draft a QB.

Also you probably don't want a rookie first rounder and 2nd year 3rd rounder on the roster at the same time. You'll probably want to go with a low-cost veteran like Foles for a year or two while the rookie develops.

I bet it will be at least a three year deal for Bradford plus a mid round developmental QB, or else a placeholder veteran--Sanchez, Daniels, Foles--plus 1st round QB.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 21 2016, 06:28 PM) *
...Put Bradford on a show me one year deal, which really may only be a 3/4 yr show me deal 'cause if he plays well, you resign him long term at that point. Draft a QB in the 3rd round, or trade that 3rd round pick for a young developing QB in the NFL already...
PhillySteaks
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 21 2016, 07:26 PM) *
So is every team in the NFC East...except MAYBE Washington. They have been in rebuilding mode for so long they may have surprised themselves with finally having a team. Or maybe everybody else in their division just really sucked. I would hate to have money riding on how the East shakes out next year.

I actually think dallas wins the division. ...losing romo was huge...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.