Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Eagles be active in FA?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Knowing Howie, I'd guess he's already spoken to a couple of agents about their players. With the unusually limited cap space and the need to get both Cox and, to a lesser extent Bradford settled he probably will be limited in what he does.

PFF published a list of their top 75 FAs and there's one or two that could make sense for us.
7. Kelechi Osemele, G/OT
2015 team: Baltimore Ravens

Osemele is best suited as a guard, but has the versatility that teams value. He was a top-10 guard each of the last two years prior to moving to tackle.

Considering heíll be 27 when the season starts, Osemele is the top guard set to hit free agency. He didnít quite match his 2014 effort, but the former second-rounder still managed one of the better seasons among his peers, especially in run-blocking, where only four other guards finished with a higher grade. His pass protection hasnít been quite as good, but is still above averageóin 2015, he surrendered 13 total pressures in 417 pass-blocking snaps at left guard, the eighth-best rate of 82 qualifying guards. And few players provide the versatility of being able play on the outside at tackle, where he lined up during Baltimoreís last four games.
Not making the top 75 but should be an affordable addition:
Jermaine Kearse
2015 team: Seattle Seahawks

While there were better receiving options in Seattle, the Seahawks still had plenty of success when throwing Kearse the football. When Kearse was targeted, the Seahawks had a 126.1 NFL passer rating, which was the fourth-best for any wide receiver in the NFL. He started playing especially well late in the season. From Week 14 on, including the playoffs, his +7.4 cumulative grade was the seventh best for wide receivers. The receivers above him might have more upside, but over the last three years, Kearse has been more consistent.
I'm kind of expecting the Eagles to jump early with one or two signings like these and then wait for the draft. Adding these two guys should give them the needed flexibility to go BPA, even with Howie's anticipated moves.
nephillymike
Interesting.

I love that site, but am not a subscriber so I have to surf the net to find stuff other ways.

That's a good list of 75.

Some interesting things I found while snooping around:

Sam Bradford = 15th ranked FA, 2nd ranked FA QB, finished 12th in PFF QB rankings last year! Only posted 2 negative rated weeks since week 4. Never let it be claimed that NEPM doesn't post opposing view tid bits.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/...rback-rankings/

Evan Mathis = 18th ranked FA, 3rd ranked FA OG, finished 2nd in PFF OG rankings this year, best in run blocking. Would Howie stick it to Chip one more time and bring him back for a one or two year friendly? Was Peters and Kelce's years enough humble pie for them to apologize for the trash talk on his way out or is that irreparable? Did he really burn bridges and this is a moot point?

Walter Thurmond = 52nd best FA, ranked 7th best S FA. Graded out as 18th best starting S this year by PFF. There are six other S rated higher so maybe we can get him back for a decent price.

Brandon Boykin = 58th best FA, ranked 10th best CB in a CB rich FA class. After pine riding most of the year, played the last five weeks and rated 8th best CB in coverage during that period. Maybe if things don't go well with Carroll, you take a look.

Nolan Carroll = not on list. Under the radar. Coming off injury. Should be good value shopping if we have interest.

Took a look at FA WR's and as our worst rated position group, please don't say we don't need a FA WR. Our guys are pretty damn bad. I am assuming Jeffrey is out of our league, so I'll pass on him. There are only two other WR's in the top 75:

#29 Marvin Jones - great after catch skills. #23 on Football Outsiders Rankings of WR's for 2015
#67 Rishard Matthews - but can we take another guy named Matthews on offense? #17 on FO WR list

Other WR's of interest:

Travis Benjamin - #4 FA WR, #55 on FO list
J. Kearse - #5 FA WR, #19 on FO list
James Jones - #6 FA WR, #20 on FO list.

Our highest rated WR was J. Matthews at #41 on FO list, FWIW. BTW, Algholar rated worst on PFF WR rankings! Ouch! Can't imagine Cooper was much higher so we had a #41 and two real bad others. Ouch! Maybe we need to get TWO FA WR's!!

Lucky for us, plenty of OG on the FA top 75:

#7 Osemele BAL (also plays OT)
#16 Icognito BUF
#18 Mathis DEN
#28 Brooks HOU
#35 Foster PIT
#55 Boone SF
#62 Ramirez DET (also plays C)
#68 Allen KC - last year was 1st year he didn't struggle - be careful.

Let's go shopping!!

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 21 2016, 11:11 AM) *
Brandon Boykin = 58th best FA, ranked 10th best CB in a CB rich FA class. After pine riding most of the year, played the last five weeks and rated 8th best CB in coverage during that period. Maybe if things don't go well with Carroll, you take a look.
J. Kearse - #5 FA WR, #19 on FO list <---------
#7 Osemele BAL (also plays OT) <---------
In retrospect, most of the guys Kelly unceremoniously dumped should still here. I'm not sure I'd go for Mathis because of age when there's a guy like Osemele available who reminds me of the Runyan deal. I'd give Boykin a go too, but my priorities would be G and WR, both of which I'd return to in the draft.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 21 2016, 11:30 AM) *
In retrospect, most of the guys Kelly unceremoniously dumped should still here. I'm not sure I'd go for Mathis because of age when there's a guy like Osemele available who reminds me of the Runyan deal. I'd give Boykin a go too, but my priorities would be G and WR, both of which I'd return to in the draft.

Yep, FA OG and WR, and draft an OG and WR.

One other thing, wouldn't mind getting someone in here to challenge Kelce. He flat out sucked last year.
Zero
Didn't I read that Kelce was injured much of last year? That, plus trying to be both G in addition to being C. But agree we need to bring in someone.
PhillySteaks
Dream team! !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.