Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: so Just how good is this year's QB class?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Here is how Mayock has this year's top four rated versus previous years high QB picks:

1. Winston 6.7
2. Goff 6.7
3. Lynch 6.4
4. Mariota 6.2
4. Bortles 6.2
6. Wentz 6.1
6. Brigewater 6.1
6. Manziel 6.1
9. Cook 5.9
10. Garroppolo 5.8

6.50-6.99 = chance for Pro Bowl
6.00 - 6.49 = should be instant starter
5.50 -5.99 = chance to become a starter

Here is how ESPN had them rated:

1. Winston 97
2. Mariota 93
2. Bortles 93
4. Goff 92
4. Wentz 92

4. Bridgewater 92
7. Manziel 91
8. Lynch 89
9. Cook <88 (PS if anyone has ESPN insider, please look up Cook's grade and any other QB's in 80's)
10. Garropolo 79

90-100 Rare NFL Prospect
80-89 Outstanding Prospect
70-79 Solid Prospect

Based on the above, if we get any of the top three in the draft we should have decent talent. The top three talent here is similar to the last three years, even a little better. This is NOT a Hoyer -Glennon type draft.
Reality Fan
hmmm...would you like me to recount Mayock's biggest ratings mistakes?

I mean Mark Sanchez?....or Josh Freeman?...or Blaine Gabbert?...Jimmy Clausen?...Pat White?...Tim Tebow?

Should I go on? I mean all you need to see is Johnny Manziel? Seriously?

Yes...it is a Hoyer-Glennon type draft....
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 18 2016, 11:09 PM) *

I mean Mark Sanchez?....or Josh Freeman?...or Blaine Gabbert?...Jimmy Clausen?...Pat White?...Tim Tebow?

Most of the the talent you referred wasn't because they weren't gifted or capable. They all demonstrated talent that made them NFL worthy. The problem (as I see it) is that the majority of QB's aren't groomed for their role, and are pushed into a position that they aren't prepared for. A quality QB coach, grooming appropriate talent should reap good results....in time.

Josh Freeman is a good example of a good QB turned bad.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 19 2016, 10:08 PM) *
The problem (as I see it) is that the majority of QB's aren't groomed for their role, and are pushed into a position that they aren't prepared for. A quality QB coach, grooming appropriate talent should reap good results....in time.

Agreed 100%. Limited talent can frequently be coached to average results. Good talent in most cases should be able to be coached to the point of being sufficient to win the big game providing there is enough talent supporting him.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 18 2016, 11:09 PM) *

Agreed, I feel like this is an extremely poor QB draft.
nephillymike
But if Mayock and Kiper have this QB draft class rated similar to the last two, I take some comfort in knowing that it isn't that bad and we could get a decent guy at #13 if need be.

The way some were talking, I was thinking it be the depths of the 2010 or 2013 draft classes.

It doesn't appear that the "experts" feel that way.

We'll see what others say and how the combine plays out.

It's better than I thought.
Phits
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Feb 20 2016, 01:54 PM) *
Agreed, I feel like this is an extremely poor QB draft.

Only if you're looking for a Day 1 starter.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 20 2016, 04:52 PM) *
Only if you're looking for a Day 1 starter.

Or just starters in general
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.