Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did you guys hear about M. Jenkins and Lurie comments
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
He was on with Michael B on Philly Sports Talk, and was saying how Lurie sought the opinions of team leaders about what they valued in a coach.

When asked by MB if those talks happened before or after Chip got fired, he said, I think it was before. Then I'm not sure. Then it was afterwards.

Did Lurie seek opinions before firing Chip.

Angelo was on his soap box saying he was undermining Chip while the team still had playoff chances.

If true, I don't really have a problem with it.

I'd rather have an informed owner who asks questions to get the pulse of the team than the clueless guy who spoke about Howie's longevity after the final game of the 2014 season (Howie got "promoted" days later)

If Lurie thought he personally had enough, it was wise to ask the leaders in case they changed his mind.

I can see how some would think it was undermining. I'm OK with it.
Joegrane
I strongly agree with you.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2016, 08:48 PM) *

I'd rather have an informed owner who asks questions to get the pulse of the team than the clueless guy who spoke about Howie's longevity after the final game of the 2014 season (Howie got "promoted" days later)

If Lurie thought he personally had enough, it was wise to ask the leaders in case they changed his mind.

I can see how some would think it was undermining. I'm OK with it.

BirdsWinBaby
yea he undermined Chip...but it didn't matter IF the whole team knew it was over for him

its clear now that from the locker room speech, the tshirts nonsense and now the heart to heart talks with players (even JP said he plays for the owner, not Chip) that Lurie was just trying to hold it together to see if they could make the playoffs. when that was done so was Chip.

Reality Fan
From the entire picture of the situation I have little doubt that Kelly knew Lurie was shopping for a new coach....and he knew it was over long before he was fired. Kelly, like him or hate him, is a very intelligent guy...he likely knew what Lurie was doing because the NFL is terrible at keeping secrets.

I think he was just as happy to go as Lurie was to make it happen.
Eyrie
I don't see the issue here.

If Kelly provided what the team leaders indicated that they preferred in a head coach, then he'd still be here.

If he didn't, then it helped Lurie to understand why things were going wrong and how to fix them.

Players get cut for being a poor fit and that's exactly what happened to Kelly.
The Franchise
I've made my feelings on Lurie clear, but this is good to me - clearly things weren't working out, and he spoke to veterans on why and what they wanted/expected. This is what the leader of an organization should do. Maybe he's been reading Sun Tzu.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.