Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bradford and the Franchise Tag
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
It's being reported that the Eagles probably won't use the tag on Bradford, but if they did that number would be $18.544 million (here ...). I'm not too sure this isn't a good option for the team. There are a couple of scenarios that could happen:
1. Bradford signs the deal
2. Another team trades for his rights (late #1 or #2?)
3. Team rescinds unsigned tag
4. Eagles negotiate long term deal
If he signs the deal both sides would seem to be accepting that this is a one-year "show me." The Eagles would more than likely use a high pick on a rookie who would be groomed by the three QB coaches (seems likely no matter what happens with Bradford). If they trade the rights and recover a pick they still draft a QB but also a high pick on a OL, maybe DB. Rescinding the tag with no negotiation progress means they go with a rookie and Sanchez or a rookie and a FA QB. #4 probably means they draft a QB later.

With the adjusted cap the Eagles have about $26 mil right now. Unless they sign him long term (actually, 2 years would be my preference) my choice would be #2 which could end up being #3 if no takers. The tag would be expensive for one year but maybe the relative stability of him returning would benefit the coaching transition and the rookie. Risk is that he accepts tag making it hard to renegotiate with Cox/Logan. Other options aren't bad.

Anyone?
Joegrane
Wow it is surprising that the eagles' cap situation has improved so much--$26mil free.

In light of that all options are on the table.

By using the tag they are kicking the can down the road and potentially putting themselves in a difficult spot next year when they won't have Sanchez to fall back on.

Will they be in a position next year to draft a starting-caliber QB?

Can they pull of the D Murray - N Foles trade?

What do they do when Sanchez' contract expires next year?

Will Nick Foles be available next year to be the veteran QB with the rookie?

Do they like any of the top three QBs in this year's draft?

Do they want to be a part of the potential "sweeepstakes" for D Watson next year?

There are too many options available. It is nice to have the cap space that does not limit them.

Cox and Logan are signed for another year. They could deal with them even after the market for Bradford has become clearer.

QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 17 2016, 06:57 AM) *
It's being reported that the Eagles probably won't use the tag on Bradford, but if they did that number would be $18.544 million (here ...). I'm not too sure this isn't a good option for the team. There are a couple of scenarios that could happen:
If he signs the deal both sides would seem to be accepting that this is a one-year "show me." The Eagles would more than likely use a high pick on a rookie who would be groomed by the three QB coaches (seems likely no matter what happens with Bradford). If they trade the rights and recover a pick they still draft a QB but also a high pick on a OL, maybe DB. Rescinding the tag with no negotiation progress means they go with a rookie and Sanchez or a rookie and a FA QB. #4 probably means they draft a QB later.

With the adjusted cap the Eagles have about $26 mil right now. Unless they sign him long term (actually, 2 years would be my preference) my choice would be #2 which could end up being #3 if no takers. The tag would be expensive for one year but maybe the relative stability of him returning would benefit the coaching transition and the rookie. Risk is that he accepts tag making it hard to renegotiate with Cox/Logan. Other options aren't bad.

Anyone?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 17 2016, 06:57 AM) *

Anyone?

Good points Z.

The link was for '15's tags, this year s/b close to $20M. Incidentally, they changed the formula from being the average of the salaries of the top five to something like taking the average % of the cap for the top five and adjusting it by the new cap # (kind of like built in inflation adjustment). So because the final cap has not been released, they don't know what the tag #'s will be. The higher the cap per team that is announced, the higher the tag #'s.

Anywho...........

Ike Reese had a point yesterday. If they tag Bradford and he is not happy with it, he will not sign it. Since he has not signed the tag he is not under contract and will not be able to participate in activities which include learning a new offense. I think that is a big downfall to the tag road, unless you know he will accept it.

Now assuming he will accept it, I still say that in order to afford the $20M cap hit and leaving room for the Lurie cushion, you will have to do 5 of these 7 things:

Not resign Thurmond
Not Resign Carroll
Not get FA OG
Not get FA WR
Cut Sanchez and don't replace him with a high priced backup
Cut Barwin
Cut Peters or Extend him for at least 2 more years.

I'll give you cutting Sanchez and not resigning either Carroll or Thurmond. Other than those two, I can't go further and as such, I can't support a franchise tag.

For the above reasons, we should either sign him long term or cut ties.

And what to do if you think, as RF does, he is worth 13-14M and the market is $18.0001M? ( biggrin.gif )Do you bite the bullet and say fuck it, or do you say the cost is too much and move on?

I don't think Bradford will be any better than an average NFL QB. And if the market rate for that is $18M or whatever, do you pay it knowing that he could be of the A. Smith, A. Daulton, J. Cutler mode? I think you need better than that to have sustained success and I would have to pass. On the other hand, I'd rather have the money on the field, even if it is at an average level than in the kitty never to be used for a rainy day.

Still undecided. Truth be told, it may be worth sacrificing some wings and beers for a reasonable deal that makes the Bradford leap less risky.

I don't know. One of the toughest decisions we've had on this board in a while.
Joegrane
Maybe the Eagles did all of the extensions on the offensive side of the ball, not for the guys on D, so Bradford would have a feel for the talent level around him in the coming years. You could imagine this would be a factor when discussing a long-term deal.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 17 2016, 05:13 PM) *
Wow it is surprising that the eagles' cap situation has improved so much--$26mil free.

There are too many options available. It is nice to have the cap space that does not limit them.

Cox and Logan are signed for another year. They could deal with them even after the market for Bradford has become clearer.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2016, 08:28 PM) *
And what to do if you think, as RF does, he is worth 13-14M and the market is $18.0001M? ( biggrin.gif )Do you bite the bullet and say fuck it, or do you say the cost is too much and move on?

I don't think Bradford will be any better than an average NFL QB. And if the market rate for that is $18M or whatever, do you pay it knowing that he could be of the A. Smith, A. Daulton, J. Cutler mode? I think you need better than that to have sustained success and I would have to pass. On the other hand, I'd rather have the money on the field, even if it is at an average level than in the kitty never to be used for a rainy day.

Still undecided. Truth be told, it may be worth sacrificing some wings and beers for a reasonable deal that makes the Bradford leap less risky.

I don't know. One of the toughest decisions we've had on this board in a while.

I did not say he is worth 13-14 million.....I said I don't think the market will pay him 18....it ain't happening...

Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2016, 07:28 PM) *

I think you accept the premise that Bradford is right at that level where he is worth different amounts of money to different teams; In this case, the team in question is likely the Broncos. They have a team that has already shown it is good enough to make a Super Bowl with a QB that is basically good enough to "drive the bus", and Bradford definitely is at least that good. So to them, Bradford could mean another Super Bowl run right away. They might overpay some for that.

I don't see a team in the NFC East making a serious Super Bowl run next year, so he would simply be the QB to keep you guys in the picture while you build a team for your future star QB...and you have Sanchez for another year anyway. I can't see you paying as much for that, because it's not worth the same thing to you.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 18 2016, 12:41 AM) *
I think you accept the premise that Bradford is right at that level where he is worth different amounts of money to different teams; In this case, the team in question is likely the Broncos. They have a team that has already shown it is good enough to make a Super Bowl with a QB that is basically good enough to "drive the bus", and Bradford definitely is at least that good. So to them, Bradford could mean another Super Bowl run right away. They might overpay some for that.

If you're right and Bradford is as good or better than Peyton last year, and better than Osweiler shouldn't that be an argument for a tag and trade deal? If the Broncos thought they could win a second SB with him wouldn't they be willing to surrender the last pick in the first round plus the money to pay him? Their cap number is $8,161,005 but they'd save $19,000,000 by cutting Manning. Broncos free agents to sign. Broncos defense won the SB.
Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 17 2016, 05:13 PM) *
By using the tag they are kicking the can down the road and potentially putting themselves in a difficult spot next year when they won't have Sanchez to fall back on.

Saying they have Sanchez to fall back on isn't saying much. I'd prefer NOT to have to ever see him on the field again (unless he's throwing interceptions to the Eagles' defense).

Besides, one theory is they would draft a QB this year to groom. If Bradford works out, they'd sign him longer-term, if not, the new QB would have a year of watching. Sound theory? Depends on the QB they'd be able to draft this season.

Also, I'm hearing they might actually use the cap on Bradford. So who knows. It's all speculation until they do something.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 18 2016, 06:12 AM) *
Saying they have Sanchez to fall back on isn't saying much. I'd prefer NOT to have to ever see him on the field again (unless he's throwing interceptions to the Eagles' defense).

Besides, one theory is they would draft a QB this year to groom. If Bradford works out, they'd sign him longer-term, if not, the new QB would have a year of watching. Sound theory? Depends on the QB they'd be able to draft this season.

Also, I'm hearing they might actually use the cap on Bradford. So who knows. It's all speculation until they do something.

Hard to say. The trick is to get something for him, without pricing him out of the reach of the people who want him. Ryan Fitzpatrick will be out there too, although I think the Jets will keep his price pretty high as well. Then you take a big step down to the likes of Colt McCoy, Matt Cassell, Brandon Weeden, etc...

Update: I just realized I replied to the wrong post. Sorry Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.