Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howie
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/...mp;id=367547861

In case you were wondering if Howie Roseman was happy with his recent splurge, you should have seen him outside of the Eagles’ auditorium after he discussed the flurry of signings of four Eagles in an eight-day span.

Roseman, who is a small guy, saw defensive end Vinny Curry in the lobby, ran over … and jumped into Curry’s arms. Bear-hugged the big guy. Feet were 18 inches off the ground.

Seriously.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattiso...hj540SCbwGOe.99

I heard this discussed by Eckel on the morning show to the background music of "The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing. Eckel says nobody puts Howie in the corner. Funny stuff. Eckel said the reporters just looked at each other in disbelief.

A little hinkie no? (No pun intended)

Sounds like Howie is throwing a bunch of money towards "his guys", hopefully not to justify their selections.
Zero
We've read it, heard it and discussed it ad nauseum: continuity is vital. Curry was drafted for a 4-3 and the team moved to a wide 9 and an OL coach as a DC. Then they moved to a 3-4, for the most part using 4-3 talent. I'd think that Schwartz had some input into Curry ... I hope. This is also my thought regarding QB. Bradford is the best option for now ... the future is TBD. Add in a young guy who can grow in the organization and system and get to know his teammates and that position is in good shape.

Please, no more Dream Team crap!
Joegrane
I don't have any particular fondess or animosity towards Roseman. I would not be surprised if 10 yrs from now people think the actions he and Lurie have taken saved the team from a mess like we had after the firing of Buddy Ryan.

I can't say it will lead to a SB appearance in the next five years but I bet they will have very few years with a below average record. Unfortunately this year will not likely be one of the above average years, especially with the tough schedule and if Bradford goes elsewhere.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 14 2016, 08:10 AM) *
In case you were wondering if Howie Roseman was happy with his recent splurge, ...
Roseman, who is a small guy, saw defensive end Vinny Curry in the lobby, ran over … and jumped into Curry’s arms. Bear-hugged the big guy. Feet were 18 inches off the ground.
Sounds like Howie is throwing a bunch of money towards "his guys", hopefully not to justify their selections.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 14 2016, 10:25 AM) *
I don't have any particular fondess or animosity towards Roseman. I would not be surprised if 10 yrs from now people think the actions he and Lurie have taken saved the team from a mess like we had after the firing of Buddy Ryan.

I can't say it will lead to a SB appearance in the next five years but I bet they will have very few years with a below average record. Unfortunately this year will not likely be one of the above average years, especially with the tough schedule and if Bradford goes elsewhere.

I like Howie but his personnel acumen is still at best a question. I'd like to see stats of success/failure rate comparing NFL GMs to have an idea how he fares. I'm an optimist, always have been and hopefully always will be. As a fan I try to enjoy the game and look for reasons why things will succeed instead of enveloping myself in gloom and seeing what could go wrong.

With that as the start point, I see the defense making an immediate jump to top 10. These 4-3 guys are pumped to start doing what they were built for and Schwartz has a record that would indicate they will do very well. The weakness of the D is the secondary and the strength is the DL. Attacking the QB will improve the chances of success for the team's weakness.

Of course the OL needs to be improved, but only with starting guards because last years starting guards were signed for what they are, decent backups. Guards are the easiest to replace and just one good addition would make a big difference in OL play. QB is the big question but it's not like they have crap, they just don't have a proven, consistent winner. As much as we hate on Sanchez, he could be a decent bridge QB for a rookie. Bradford would be better and could possibly turn out to live up to his pre-draft expectations. Allowing the QB to make reads and adjustments plus improved WR play (just catching the damn ball) and scheming the run game to the strengths of the players will be an improvement.

This team is not as bad as many think. The biggest question in all of it is how Doug will be as the HC, offensive strategist. This isn't a SB team, but they could win the East and one playoff game.

Of course I predicted 12 wins last year so keep this in context. laugh.gif
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 14 2016, 11:16 AM) *
This team is not as bad as many think.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 14 2016, 09:25 AM) *
Please, no more Dream Team crap!

It's funny how gun shy we all are with Free agency and the use of the term "dream team".

We rip free agency more than those making the decisions on who to sign as free agents. The noun free agency is ripped.

However, our drafts have pretty much sucked, but yet we all love the draft. That is the way to go!!

I say this with a lack of understanding why the free agency process isn't better league wide. Although the financial risk is higher with the higher price tags, the performance risk should be way lower given that you have NFL tape and live footage of how someone fits in a certain system. Stupid GM moves doom both the draft and free agency. Letting an All-Pro OG and WR go and paying top dollar for a CB and RB who doesn't fit the scheme should be no brainers. But idiots make a few mistakes and it's the process that is at fault.

But we have the draft............................. A chip and a chair right??
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 14 2016, 12:46 PM) *
It's funny how gun shy we all are with Free agency and the use of the term "dream team".

We rip free agency more than those making the decisions on who to sign as free agents. The noun free agency is ripped.

However, our drafts have pretty much sucked, but yet we all love the draft. That is the way to go!!

I say this with a lack of understanding why the free agency process isn't better league wide. Although the financial risk is higher with the higher price tags, the performance risk should be way lower given that you have NFL tape and live footage of how someone fits in a certain system. Stupid GM moves doom both the draft and free agency. Letting an All-Pro OG and WR go and paying top dollar for a CB and RB who doesn't fit the scheme should be no brainers. But idiots make a few mistakes and it's the process that is at fault.

But we have the draft............................. A chip and a chair right??

Agreed. Due diligence is required whether it be for the draft or free agency. There is no single method that is better than the other. Take a look at the SB champs, they went big into free agency (with a couple of ace draft picks) and it worked out for them. With the talent they acquired, they earned the dream team moniker.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 14 2016, 04:16 PM) *
This team is not as bad as many think. The biggest question in all of it is how Doug will be as the HC, offensive strategist. This isn't a SB team, but they could win the East and one playoff game.

Play calling is only part of it. The offense is a major question mark until we know who the QB will be and whether the WRs can catch the damned ball.

On the other hand, having a proven 4-3 defensive co-ordinator running a 4-3 scheme with 4-3 personnel is an obvious upgrade over a mediocre 3-4 co-ordinator running the 3-4 with 4-3 personnel.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 14 2016, 02:11 PM) *
On the other hand, having a proven 4-3 defensive co-ordinator running a 4-3 scheme with 4-3 personnel is an obvious upgrade over a mediocre 3-4 co-ordinator running the 3-4 with 4-3 personnel.

jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 14 2016, 09:25 AM) *
Curry was drafted for a 4-3 and the team moved to a wide 9 and an OL coach as a DC.

Ugh. I'll never forget the day they announced Castillo would replace McD. After a decade-plus of watching Reid blow simple game and clock management, that was just too much for me. That was quintessential, boneheaded, "I'm smarter than everyone else on earth" Andy.

The wide-gaping-hole-9 didn't help.
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 14 2016, 04:54 PM) *
Ugh. I'll never forget the day they announced Castillo would replace McD. After a decade-plus of watching Reid blow simple game and clock management, that was just too much for me. That was quintessential, boneheaded, "I'm smarter than everyone else on earth" Andy.

The wide-gaping-hole-9 didn't help.

The fact that the D was better for Castillo than for Bowles was interesting. It actually got worse with Bowles!!
nephillymike
The leaping into Curry's arms strikes me as a little immature.

Is he overcompensating for Chips lack of emotional intelligence?

Does it reveal a lack of business maturity?

I've given many a raise or promotion over the years and never did I feel the need to do that!

Strange.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but eeew!
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 14 2016, 06:00 PM) *
The fact that the D was better for Castillo than for Bowles was interesting. It actually got worse with Bowles!!

That's pretty unfair - the team went completely south and just plain quit around that time. Bowles is a good coach in my opinion overall - so is Castillo.....when it comes to the o-line. Not running a defense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.