Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I guess you, "experts," on cap space might be wrong?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Been reading all of the posts concerning the Eagles' cap space. I keep laughing because there is this, "the sky is falling," mentality from some of you. Yet, according to this report, even after the deals they just did, the Eagles will have between $20-$30 million left. Seems like they're in pretty good shape.

-->clicky<--

Zero
On 1/29 their 2016 cap number was $20,576,688 according to overthecap.com. Today it's $21,148,040 ... an increase of $571,352.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 13 2016, 07:36 AM) *
On 1/29 their 2016 cap number was $20,576,688 according to overthecap.com. Today it's $21,148,040 ... an increase of $571,352.

and that is without cutting Ryans and Sanchez...
nephillymike
There is nothing listed in the article that changes any projections on my part.

No surprises here.

One thing he incorrectly assumes is that the Eagles will spend close to their cap limit. They never have. The least they have ever socked away was approx 7% of the cap, most years in the 10-15% range. You need to count for that otherwise you'd be going through the fruitless exercise I've gone through many years; trying to see all these guys they can get assuming they will spend near what they can. I'm a slow learner and finally after about 15 years of this I am giving in and putting it in the assumptions.

Do you see anything I listed below from my previous post that is incorrect? It's not how much cap they have, it's how much they'll spend and more importantly what they need to do to be a decent team and whether they have enough to do that.
====================================================================

A quick update of where we stand:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

Current Cap room left = 20.0M
Less approx 7% Stash = (11.0M) - Eagles have always stashed at least 7%, most years 10% of cap (10% = 4M more)
Remaining Net of Stash = 9.0M

Reported Yr 1 Cap Hit for Curry = 3.0M

Net Remaining After Curry = 6.0M If we do nothing, that's what we'll have for Bradford or FA's or whatever.

Cuts to clear Cap. Room = 6.4M (Ryans 3.5, Cooper 2.9M)

Restructure/ Extend Cox = +3.3M

Net After Cuts/Restructures = 15.7M

Resign our own players (6.5M) (Thurmond and Carroll 2.5M ea, Biggers and Ajirotutu .75 ea) I reduced T & C

Net to Sign Bradford and/or Outside FA's = 9.2M

Sign FA OG and FA WR = (7.0M) - reduced these from 4M ea. to 3.5M each

Net remaining for Bradford or anyone else = 2.2M

Other cuts available Sanchez 3.5, Barwin 3.1 Alonso 0.9M to free up space. If cut Sanchez, need to put aside B/U QB $

Basically, looks like we would need to do three of these six to be able to long term Bradford, five of these six to be able to franchise him:

Not resign Thurmond
Not Resign Carroll
Not get FA OG
Not get FA WR
Cut Sanchez
Cut Barwin

Do you do them?

=================================================================
Joegrane
I did not have the $# of cap space from last year that was going to be added to this year's cap space. I think that turned out to be around 6 mil.

We also did not know the details of all of the extensions--how back-loaded the cap hits would be.

Of course they also freed $3. mil by cutting Coop.

They have left themselves in position to fully negotiate with Bradford. While I doubt they will use the Franchise Tag on him, they could do it.

Unlike the young players they recently extended with long term deals, they probably don't want to commit long term to Sam. His talent is too much of an unknown and his injury history is well-known.

However the Eagles can't back-load a short-term deal the way they can in a long-term deal. They will really need to free up the space for his salary.

This is Bradford's first chance at Free Agency, correct? Maybe he wants to go through that process-- wine n dine, test the waters, etc?

QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 13 2016, 07:00 AM) *
Been reading all of the posts concerning the Eagles' cap space. I keep laughing because there is this, "the sky is falling," mentality from some of you. Yet, according to this report, even after the deals they just did, the Eagles will have between $20-$30 million left. Seems like they're in pretty good shape.

-->clicky<--

Reality Fan
Ironically you make the very case for why Bradford will not get the big contract some here seem to think he will get....his injury history is a huge part of that and even Mikey has to admit none of the guys he wants to use as examples of a big contract at QB have that kind of history....and it is recent history....

I happened to catch some of the PFT show just after the SB and Bradford was a big part of it....they said that a likely fair contract (they said reasonable) will be in the 11-12 million per year range...their words, not mine. They said it will be a huge risk for any GM to give him a big contract because if he blows out a knee again the GM will likely get fired....most teas are scared of him.....but Condon has been working the phones trying to find the market for him....which is good business but technically against the NFL rules...that is why the rumors of a 1 year "show me" contract were out there...

Not sure which other defensive players you want to keep.....Thurmond will get good money but they can replace him.....and should...he was a good cover safety but not great.....get a young hitter in there....they have a ton of young talent in the defensive backfield.....and Carroll is no longer needed with Rowe.....he is not going to start...
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 13 2016, 04:43 PM) *
.....get a young hitter in there....they have a ton of young talent in the defensive backfield.....

How about that Jerome Couplin? Coaches liked him last year, for whatever that's worth.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 13 2016, 04:43 PM) *
Ironically you make the very case for why Bradford will not get the big contract some here seem to think he will get....his injury history is a huge part of that and even Mikey has to admit none of the guys he wants to use as examples of a big contract at QB have that kind of history....and it is recent history....

I happened to catch some of the PFT show just after the SB and Bradford was a big part of it....they said that a likely fair contract (they said reasonable) will be in the 11-12 million per year range...their words, not mine. They said it will be a huge risk for any GM to give him a big contract because if he blows out a knee again the GM will likely get fired....most teas are scared of him.....but Condon has been working the phones trying to find the market for him....which is good business but technically against the NFL rules...that is why the rumors of a 1 year "show me" contract were out there...

Not sure which other defensive players you want to keep.....Thurmond will get good money but they can replace him.....and should...he was a good cover safety but not great.....get a young hitter in there....they have a ton of young talent in the defensive backfield.....and Carroll is no longer needed with Rowe.....he is not going to start...

I think the Eagles cap situation and big picture do make a case for me buying you wings and beers. As I think I have shown, they cannot franchise him without causing harmful limitations on what they can do in other spots. I don't think any reasonable Eagles fan would be OK with them doing five of the six moves I outlined above, so I think that is off the table. If the franchise him and do the other stuff to make room, we're doomed short term so lets hope not.

However, they can do a long term deal.

But here's the one thing and this came up recently this AM with Eskin. Love him or hate him, Eskin has good sources and is rarely wrong.

He says it is a FACT that Bradford's agent turned down (presumably with Sam's OK) a 4 yr, 72M contract from the Eagles before the regular season.

Now if that was what the Eagles perceived to be his market, a year before being a FA and a season before showing his knee can work, what should his FMV be now to the Eagles? What should it be if other teams get to chime in? It seems like most people think he improved his value with his play and his knee this year. (I don't fully agree but I'm in the minority) Although I can see the other side, I think this is a strong case he'll get paid. If any GM sees Bradford as an average starting NFL QB, he should get at least average starting QB money, which, as we've seen from all the deals we've done, you over pay now and then the assumption is other deals over the life of your contract will put the QB where he should be earnings wise. I can very easy see that Fitz Porter coming my way...........................
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2016, 07:46 PM) *
He says it is a FACT that Bradford's agent turned down (presumably with Sam's OK) a 4 yr, 72M contract from the Eagles before the regular season.

Howie deal or Chip deal? Makes a big difference.
Joegrane
On paper I agree but two years ago he was signed off the Lions practice squad so got a feel for the system. Last year before getting injured I don't think he played much on D. Maybe he is a slow learner or just doesn't have the instincts for the position.

With his size I'd like him to get a shot at a bigger role.

I still would love to see them use a high round pick on a real CB and move Rowe to SS but don't expect it this year.

QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 13 2016, 05:18 PM) *
How about that Jerome Couplin? Coaches liked him last year, for whatever that's worth.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2016, 07:46 PM) *
But here's the one thing and this came up recently this AM with Eskin. Love him or hate him, Eskin has good sources and is rarely wrong.

Now if that was what the Eagles perceived to be his market, a year before being a FA and a season before showing his knee can work, what should his FMV be now to the Eagles? What should it be if other teams get to chime in? It seems like most people think he improved his value with his play and his knee this year. (I don't fully agree but I'm in the minority) Although I can see the other side, I think this is a strong case he'll get paid. If any GM sees Bradford as an average starting NFL QB, he should get at least average starting QB money, which, as we've seen from all the deals we've done, you over pay now and then the assumption is other deals over the life of your contract will put the QB where he should be earnings wise. I can very easy see that Fitz Porter coming my way...........................

First...Eskin is often wrong.....not occassionally....often...

Bradford already alluded to the fact that he "never saw" a contract offer from the Eagles.

That being said, it is my understanding that the negotiations were very brief...the Eagles inquired and Condon threw out the high number and the Eagles said they would wait until after the season to see where things stood....Condon bascially overplayed his hand.(that is from a little birdie) Condon's thought process was that Bradford looked great in the preseason and he had huge dollar signs in his eyes. Now that the season played out as it has and there is no long line of teams getting ready to offer Bradford a huge contract there is a little worry on Condon's part and they are ready to sign a short term deal.

It is funny to see all the backtracking from pundits regarding the number Bradford will get....I already mentioned the PFT show.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.