Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nick Foles and QB Options
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
I still think the talk about reacquiring Nick Foles is mostly smoke screen during the Bradford negotiations. However there are possibilities involving Foles that could still make sense.

Maybe the Eagles know they will not get a deal with Bradford done before he goes to free agency so they need to consider their options.

They will likely be in a position to draft one of the top 3 QBs in the draft. Maybe they like them and are prepared to go that route.

However maybe they don't like Sanchez, especially as a mentor for the rookie. Maybe they like Foles better as a mentor for the rookie.

Therefore maybe the issue is not Bradford vs Foles, but rather Sanchez vs Foles.

There is no doubt in my mind that Foles is fine as at least a #2 QB.

Foles has one year remaining on his contract. He would be considered a borderline starting QB. What is his trade value? I assume not more than a third round pick.

Alternatively why not keep Sanchez for the 1 remaining year on his contract and negotiate with Foles as a free agent next year?

If Lurie wants to turn back the clock to the early years of Andy Reid, do they want to give themselves a chance next year to draft the mobile Deshaun Watson from Clemson?

Frankly I don't think the Eagles will be bad enough to be in position to draft him. For example, the Saints might feel that it is time to draft the replacement for the very pricey D Brees.
Eyrie
I wouldn't be willing to trade any 2016 pick for Foles if he is to be a fill in for a year. We have more than enough holes to be filled.

I might consider a conditional fourth/fifth next year, but even then I would need to be convinced that Foles will play better than his last season here and his only season with the Rams.
Dreagon
RGIII could be available, if your looking to an alternative to Foles.
Joegrane
Oh Yea, the ultimate leader and role model.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1103752/...idents_race.jpg
https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/twister.jpg

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 10 2016, 08:02 PM) *
Reality Fan
I would not trade the guy who runs out on the field with the water bottles for Nick Foles....No No No No No
rumply
Kempski's view, some interesting points

http://www.phillyvoice.com/should-eagles-punt-free-agency/
HobbEs
Interesting article. It sounds like Howie learned a thing or two while in banishment.
Zero
So go 2016 with Sanchez, Foles and rookie? OL and WR become even more important.

Joegrane
Rumply, thx for the link. That's a really interesting article!

Zero, no I think they'd release or trade Sanchez--$3.5mil cap savings-- to help pay for Foles and draft a QB in round 1. The rookie would be the #2 QB for a team that is not a strong playoff contender. If they were expected to win 11 games then it would make sense to keep Sanchez for one more year while the Rookie learns.

So if this is more "posturing" for the negotiations with Bradford, it is a credible threat. The Eagles are set to lose a few FAs that have value.

Let's consider the situation with the Rams.

Overthecap says the Rams currently have $30 mil in cap space, so that is not an issue for them.

They would only save <$1mil in cap space by releasing Foles. They'd have to eat 8mil in dead money. however, this is not a big factor since they have so much space already.

Foles has value as at least a backup; however, maybe his salary creates a strange situation in the locker room. The backup is making much more than the starter.

The Rams pick two spots after the Eagles. One of the top 3 QBs may or may not be available.

They would have to really have soured on Foles to release him without drafting a QB in round 1. They probably would trade him if they got something tempting in return. I doubt that a 4th would be enough; however, the compensatory 3rd rounder that the eagles likely will get might be enough.

The Eagles would have to be willing to pay Foles $8mil.

Let's say Bradford walks and ends up in Houston.

On draft day the Eagles draft the second highest rated QB and the Rams draft the third highest rated QB two selections later.

Now the Rams no longer need Foles and the Eagles might prefer Foles as the veteran mentor and placeholder for the rookie. I could see a deal being done during the draft.

Sanchez would then also be put on the trading block. Would they even get a 4th round pick for Sanchez with only 1 year left on his contract? Sanchez would likely have something to say about the situation. A team is not likely to want a malcontent at QB.

Foles would be willing to do the trade because he'd be the starter this year. He and his wife already have friends on the team and they know the area.

I bet the two ex NFL coaches are salivating at the opportunity to groom a rookie 1st round QB. Maybe that is part of the reason they are here.

QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 11 2016, 12:16 PM) *
So go 2016 with Sanchez, Foles and rookie? OL and WR become even more important.

Joegrane
Even more interesting is the Foles for D Murray trade as explained in detail in this article
http://www.phillyvoice.com/demarco-murray-...agles-and-rams/

So this is not really a discussion of Bradford vs Foles. It is a discussion of Bradford vs Foles plus 1st round rookie QB minus D. Murray.

After so much consistency during the Reed era, these are strange times for Eagles fans.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 11 2016, 02:04 PM) *
Rumply, thx for the link. That's a really interesting article!

Zero, no I think they'd release or trade Sanchez--$3.5mil cap savings-- to help pay for Foles and draft a QB in round 1. ....
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 10 2016, 08:02 PM) *

Now that is what I call funny biggrin.gif
nephillymike
Thanks guys for the links.

That is some out of the box thinking but very intriguing.

Never thought of the comp pick angle, nor the crap for crap trade.

From an "are we better standpoint" would you:

Give up Bradford, Sanchez, Murray and $250K of cap room

For Foles, a 3rd round comp pick and at least $13M of cap room.

It all starts with where do you think this team is today?

To clarify it a little better, how far does an average D and an average QB get us (saying Schwartz will turn shit into average and Bradford will improve to average QB). Or a slightly above average of both?

Probably not too far. If that is where you are in your thinking, I think the moves this guy suggests make a lot of sense.

But the absolute killer for us local four for four guys:

That will mean no meaningful playoff teams for any of our four teams, AGAIN!!

I don't know if I could take that. I may just be foolish enough to enter the Bradford stakes just to have hope for ONE decent team of the four.

You locals, can you take four bad teams with no immediate hope?

It has been absolutely dreadful around here.

Dreagon
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Feb 11 2016, 06:06 PM) *
Now that is what I call funny biggrin.gif

lol! Yeah, truthfully with the odds of one of the top three QBs falling to 13, I just can't see you guys passing on any of them if they do.
Joegrane
I'm a Nova guy so feeling no pain at #1 biggrin.gif

To expand on your thought, think about what they might do with that $13 mil cap room.

New Orleans released a former Pro Bowl guard. My understanding is that since he was released he would not count against FA signings for the purpose of calculating compensatory picks. I would even overpay for him and draft a developmental guard in rounds 3 or more likely 4. This assumes they draft a QB in round 1, rather than trade down, draft the future Right OT and pencil him in at guard.

They'd have more $ for a FA WR but I don't see them making a splash with anyone special. Why would any of them want to come to Philly with the questions at QB?

For example, Why would Rishard Matthews of Miami prefer the Eagles and he is nothing special. I suppose he'd get to compete for the #3 WR role. He would count against the FA players signed. However, if they sign a WR who gets released, it would not. I bet they go that route with an older veteran.

They would have the $ to keep some FAs on D. Also D Ryans could be retained at Mike LB for running downs, short yardage and leadership.

They would also have to address the RB spot vacated by D Murray. Matthews and Sproles are fine but older and therefore more likely to be nicked up. They might have to use a 3rd round pick on a RB. I don't see them keeping the Duck at RB.

There is always the hope that with a patched up O Line and better WR coaching Foles might have an opportunity to catch lightning in a bottle again. I'm not expecting it but what is the hope that Sanchez could do that?

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2016, 08:23 PM) *

From an "are we better standpoint" would you:

Give up Bradford, Sanchez, Murray and $250K of cap room

For Foles, a 3rd round comp pick and at least $13M of cap room.

You locals, can you take four bad teams with no immediate hope?

It has been absolutely dreadful around here.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 11 2016, 10:01 PM) *
I'm a Nova guy so feeling no pain at #1 biggrin.gif

To expand on your thought, think about what they might do with that $13 mil cap room.

New Orleans released a former Pro Bowl guard. My understanding is that since he was released he would not count against FA signings for the purpose of calculating compensatory picks. I would even overpay for him and draft a developmental guard in rounds 3 or more likely 4. This assumes they draft a QB in round 1, rather than trade down, draft the future Right OT and pencil him in at guard.

They'd have more $ for a FA WR but I don't see them making a splash with anyone special. Why would any of them want to come to Philly with the questions at QB?

For example, Why would Rishard Matthews of Miami prefer the Eagles and he is nothing special. I suppose he'd get to compete for the #3 WR role. He would count against the FA players signed. However, if they sign a WR who gets released, it would not. I bet they go that route with an older veteran.

They would have the $ to keep some FAs on D. Also D Ryans could be retained at Mike LB for running downs, short yardage and leadership.

They would also have to address the RB spot vacated by D Murray. Matthews and Sproles are fine but older and therefore more likely to be nicked up. They might have to use a 3rd round pick on a RB. I don't see them keeping the Duck at RB.

There is always the hope that with a patched up O Line and better WR coaching Foles might have an opportunity to catch lightning in a bottle again. I'm not expecting it but what is the hope that Sanchez could do that?

Nova Grad or Nova Fan or both?

The same argument for the FA WR could be used for all other FA's. They'll want to go to winners or teams with a shot.
Joegrane
I'm hoping the OG released by New Orleans is happy with the playoff run he made with them and is now just looking to make max $ at the end of his career.

Two years at Nova before transferring elsewhere due to change in major. However during the two years I was there I was one of the drummers in the pep band. During my second year I was the one who traveled with the team to the tournaments. They ran into A Olajuwon in the Elite 8 that year but it was a very nice run.

Something similar this year would be quite nice. Jay's system is built for regular season wins, not tournament wins--deep, experienced teams, but rarely with 1st round NBA talent that you need to go deep in the tournament.

They'll likely underperform their seed again this year unless they get lucky. They've been somewhat unlucky the past couple so maybe this is their year.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2016, 10:53 PM) *
Nova Grad or Nova Fan or both?

The same argument for the FA WR could be used for all other FA's. They'll want to go to winners or teams with a shot.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 12 2016, 12:02 AM) *
I'm hoping the OG released by New Orleans is happy with the playoff run he made with them and is now just looking to make max $ at the end of his career.

Two years at Nova before transferring elsewhere due to change in major. However during the two years I was there I was one of the drummers in the pep band. During my second year I was the one who traveled with the team to the tournaments. They ran into A Olajuwon in the Elite 8 that year but it was a very nice run.

Something similar this year would be quite nice. Jay's system is built for regular season wins, not tournament wins--deep, experienced teams, but rarely with 1st round NBA talent that you need to go deep in the tournament.

They'll likely under perform their seed again this year unless they get lucky. They've been somewhat unlucky the past couple so maybe this is their year.

My son's a huge fan. He goes to a few games a year. As a La Salle guy, I can cheer for them a little bit. Used to love the Speedy Morris - Rolie Massimino games back in the day. A lot of Villanova coworkers bought me many a beer back then!!

I haven't watched them too much so far, a 1/2 game here, 1/2 game there. Do they have any decent big guy to help out Ochefu? I don't remember seeing one. That will be their downfall. If a team has bigs to run at Ochefu and get him in foul trouble early, they're done. I'd love to see them win it all, but can't see more than two tourney wins for them until they meet someone capable of doing the above.

That must have been fun travelling. I don't remember them losing to Akeem O. in the tourney. What year are you talking about?
Joegrane
I agree about the vulnerability down low. That's what got them beat last year in the NCAAs. The opposing team had two huge aggressive centers. As usual Nova fell behind early but their guards and depth chipped away late. In the end they were a little short on offensive firepower. That is not true this year. They got the recent nice win @ ranked Providence without Ochefu but Prov's big was banged up.

In 83 they lost to A. Olajuwon and #1 Houston down IN Houston in the Elite 8. Yikes, they had home court advantage too as if they needed extra help! It was a horrible matchup for Nova since they relied so heavily on their 6-8 big's low post moves. That was John Pinone who has done some broadcasting. He had no chance against an NBA Hall of Famer. Pinkney was still young at the time. That was the year that Jim Valvano and NC State upset the highly favored Houston machine.

Yes, many fun road trips; however I hated going to the Palestra. They always felt like road games. Of course that meant I had to move gear there.

Once we did the 14 hr? road trip to Kentucky to play them when both teams were ranked in the Top Ten. Those folks were nuts. I wasn't sure if I was going to get out of there with my head, let alone my gear in one piece : ) Thankfully we lost!

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2016, 08:02 PM) *
I haven't watched them too much so far, a 1/2 game here, 1/2 game there. Do they have any decent big guy to help out Ochefu? I don't remember seeing one. That will be their downfall. If a team has bigs to run at Ochefu and get him in foul trouble early, they're done. I'd love to see them win it all, but can't see more than two tourney wins for them until they meet someone capable of doing the above.

That must have been fun travelling. I don't remember them losing to Akeem O. in the tourney. What year are you talking about?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.