Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good point
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Sielski makes an obvious observation. Maybe the half full or half empty perspective applies to the Eagles. Bradford remains a question. If the Eagles sign him and he doesn't pan out it's not what we'd call good news. Then again, that "question" means his FA value is also a question which should have a direct impact on his contract. As has been discussed, if teams looking for a FA QB are hesitant to commit to a "question" and the result is a reasonable, short term "show me" contract it benefits the Eagles. Not only do they have a better shot at retaining a reasonable QB, but they also have the opportunity to acquire and groom a young QB. The starting point is what it is but how they move forward from that point is extremely important.
"No matter what shape you're in, if you're good enough to get a quarterback who can help you, then I think miracles can happen," Brandt said in a 2012 interview. "There's a ray of hope for everybody if you've got a quarterback who can do things."

The Eagles have shut the blinds to those rays of hope for a long time. Since McNabb in 1999, they have selected just six quarterbacks over the subsequent 16 drafts, and Foles turned out to be the most accomplished of the bunch. By comparison, the New England Patriots drafted eight quarterbacks during that period, even though Tom Brady has been their starter since 2001, and the Green Bay Packers drafted seven, even though they made a relatively seamless transition from one Hall of Famer (Brett Favre) to another (Aaron Rodgers).

The point isn't that none of the Patriots' draftees supplanted Brady, or that only Rodgers was good enough to persuade the Packers to move on from Favre. It's that those teams gave themselves more chances to find another talented quarterback - and all the possibilities he would open - than the Eagles did. Now, at a time when the Eagles are talking about winning next season, Sam Bradford is their best option, maybe their only one. If not him, who?
Linc ...
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Feb 5 2016, 05:50 AM) *
Now, at a time when the Eagles are talking about winning next season, Sam Bradford is their best option, maybe their only one. If not him, who?

I can only assume by "talking about winning next season", the Eagles are referring to winning more than 7 games.

Surely, The Gold Standard can't be brash enough to be talking about winning a SB next season, because if they are, then they are delusional and may as well have kept Chip and told him to load up another expensive Dream Team for 2016.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Feb 5 2016, 07:58 AM) *
I can only assume by "talking about winning next season", the Eagles are referring to winning more than 7 games.

Surely, The Gold Standard can't be brash enough to be talking about winning a SB next season, because if they are, then they are delusional and may as well have kept Chip and told him to load up another expensive Dream Team for 2016.

you mean like the Panthers who were 7-8-1 last year?.... ohmy.gif

While they were in better shape it is not unheard of....there are cartain things that can turn the Eagles around quickly..

1. The defense - the Eagles actually now have a DC who has actually been successful as a DC and their personnel not only is better suited for a 4-3, it is perfectly suited for his style of the 4-3, fast and attacking.

2. The Eagles have good RBs - I realize people are underwhelmed with Murray but Pederson's offense is suited for both Murray and Matthews

3. If and it is a big if the Eagles can get a decent guard they can turn their offense into a grinding efficient offense that will augment their defense.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 5 2016, 12:04 PM) *

While they were in better shape it is not unheard of....there are cartain things that can turn the Eagles around quickly..

They had/have a franchise QB....which makes all of the difference.
Joegrane
They did not have changes in coaches in Carolina either.

Didn't they have some key injuries on D last year?

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 5 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 5 2016, 06:55 PM) *

And they had him when they went 7-8-1......and they had Kelvin Benjamin who had 75 grabs...

I think the Eagles will be a surprise with their defense next year...and have a plodding, grinding offense..

Their defense will be fast...and have played together for the most part...
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 5 2016, 12:04 PM) *

While they were in better shape

You should have stopped right there!

Unlike the 2014 panthers, this is a team in transition (rebuild mode). We honestly don’t even know who our QB will be next season; we have a new head coach and staff who will be implementing new systems; roster changes --- assuming howie will let Pederson decide who he wants on his roster --- will be coming once the new regime decides who fits their systems, and who doesn’t, etc…

So, it isn’t even close to being a valid comparison. And when you get right down to it, the 7 – 8 – 1 panthers had a better record than the 7 – 9 Eagles biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.