Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Christian Hackenberg - Pro QB
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
This guy's breakdown Video Link (24 minutes that is well worth your time) reiterates almost everything I've been saying about Hack over the past three years. He even ended things with the following line:
Hackenberg to the Texans in the first round. Book it.

Hey, where have we seen that before?!?
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 10:02 PM) *
O'Brien is drafting Hackenberg. Book it.

I recently said that I'm not sure he'd be a great fit in the WCO, which might be true, but given that Pederson will likely call plays that start under center, now I'm all on board drafting Hack at #13. He just has far too much talent and if you can get a guy like that in the middle of the first round, it's worth any risk associated with it.

Seriously, watch that video. It's great stuff.

*Edit: You also get a sweet little Saquon Barkley teaser. That kid is a special RB.
rumply
I'm sold
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 28 2016, 03:46 PM) *
This guy's breakdown Video Link (24 minutes that is well worth your time) reiterates almost everything I've been saying about Hack over the past three years. He even ended things with the following line:

Hey, where have we seen that before?!?

I recently said that I'm not sure he'd be a great fit in the WCO, which might be true, but given that Pederson will likely call plays that start under center, now I'm all on board drafting Hack at #13. He just has far too much talent and if you can get a guy like that in the middle of the first round, it's worth any risk associated with it.

Seriously, watch that video. It's great stuff.

*Edit: You also get a sweet little Saquon Barkley teaser. That kid is a special RB.

I've only seen him on the tube a few times, and at the Linc for that Temple game.

Surely the narrator of that Temple video could have picked a better game to tout him. Like I said, I was there and his play didn't impress me at all, even with all of the excuses the "narrator" was making for him.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jan 28 2016, 07:25 PM) *
I've only seen him on the tube a few times, and at the Linc for that Temple game.

Surely the narrator of that Temple video could have picked a better game to tout him. Like I said, I was there and his play didn't impress me at all, even with all of the excuses the "narrator" was making for him.

\

I am with you....using the Temple game and touting his ptr snap reads and adjustments in a game where he and the offense were terrible is silly....

Maybe he is a good QB but he was not this past year....it is that simple......and highlighting a win over a 3-9 team was not special either...

I hope the Texans are planning on taking him....but the word on him right now is maybe 2nd round...likely 3rd.
nephillymike
I know I'm old school, but I prefer my franchise QB to have played well in college.

I'll pass.

If he's there in the 4th round, maybe I dip the toe in the pool.

Otherwise, no thanks.
mcnabbulous
That's the beauty of nuance, fellas. I would expect you weren't impressed with his performance against Temple. He was on his back the entire time. His LT (who was playing for Lackawanna JC last year) was getting manhandled by 2 man rushes. That's not even an exaggeration, which is mind numbing.

What the video correctly identifies is Hacks ability the diagnose defenses at an NFL level. If you don't watch much college football, I can't tell you how unique that is. This video also highlights the unbelievable deficiencies he was dealing with along the offensive line. Again, not exaggerating when I say that this was amongst the worst OL I've ever seen.

In the past decade, I would say there have been 5 QBs in the past decade who offer Hackenberg's combination of NFL level smarts and physical attributes. Those guys are Luck, Wilson (who only fell due to height concerns), Winston, and Stafford.

This guy is a unique talent that was in the ultimate terrible circumstance. Playing for a coaching staff that didn't know how to properly use his skills for a sanction depleted roster. Like I said, these guys aren't available in the middle of the first round.

When O'Brien snatches him up at 22 (assuming that everyone else is too scared to pull the trigger) it will only reaffirm my opinion on him. He was running a scaled back NFL offense four weeks after stepping foot on campus and O'Brien is on record saying only one other guy has picked up his offense that quickly. I'll let you guess who that was.
Reality Fan
Is he your nephew?...lol

If that were the case then every NFL scout..the guys who do this for a living, would be all over him...I watch a lot of college football and against Temple, his reads were not phenomenal...they fooled him repeatedly and yes, the O line was horrible but he still missed blitzes and took 4 sacks that should have been avoided at the line or by getting the ball out of bounds...

He may wind up being a good QB, he is physically gifted, but to say he is like Luck is outrageous.....

nephillymike
Passer ratings in the college football ranks of 65th, 113th and 85th just doesn't look first roundish to me.

You need to see success on film.

We'll see.

I don't wish him harm.

Hope he does well.

You need to keep firing bullets after that Geno Smith debacle a few years back!! Sorry the devil03.gif made me do it!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 28 2016, 07:53 PM) *
Is he your nephew?...lol

If that were the case then every NFL scout..the guys who do this for a living, would be all over him...I watch a lot of college football and against Temple, his reads were not phenomenal...they fooled him repeatedly and yes, the O line was horrible but he still missed blitzes and took 4 sacks that should have been avoided at the line or by getting the ball out of bounds...

He may wind up being a good QB, he is physically gifted, but to say he is like Luck is outrageous.....

Ahh yes, NFL scouts simply couldn't miss out on a good prospect. They do this for a living!

They fooled him repeatedly? How can you be so sure? Do you have some all-22 insight that the rest of the world wasn't privy to?

Like I said, the one guy who's most equipped to know what he is dealing with with Hackenberg will take him in the first round. And when he does, it will reaffirm my point that we are missing out on a unique talent that is almost never available at pick #13.

You guys can continue being afraid of missing on first round offensive linemen. I'll take my shots on franchise QBs.

And no, he's not my nephew, but I've proven capable of evaluating Penn Staters in the past and am quite confident on this one. Ive probably seen 95% of his snaps. He's going to be a good one.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 28 2016, 07:56 PM) *
Passer ratings in the college football ranks of 65th, 113th and 85th just doesn't look first roundish to me.

You need to see success on film.

We'll see.

I don't wish him harm.

Hope he does well.

You need to keep firing bullets after that Geno Smith debacle a few years back!! Sorry the devil03.gif made me do it!!

And drafting Geno Smith absolutely destroyed that Jets franchise, right? I watched a small fraction of Geno's games at WVU. Maybe a combined 3-4. What I always said about him was that he warranted a first round pick due to his combination of physical ability and production. I never said he was destined for greatness. Getting in the right situation was vital.

Hack will be able to step on the field as an NFL QB on day one. And if he's drafted in Houston, he will.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 28 2016, 09:05 PM) *
Ahh yes, NFL scouts simply couldn't miss out on a good prospect. They do this for a living!

They fooled him repeatedly? How can you be so sure? Do you have some all-22 insight that the rest of the world wasn't privy to?

Like I said, the one guy who's most equipped to know what he is dealing with with Hackenberg will take him in the first round. And when he does, it will reaffirm my point that we are missing out on a unique talent that is almost never available at pick #13.

You guys can continue being afraid of missing on first round offensive linemen. I'll take my shots on franchise QBs.

And no, he's not my nephew, but I've proven capable of evaluating Penn Staters in the past and am quite confident on this one. Ive probably seen 95% of his snaps. He's going to be a good one.

Do I have proof? Yes...he threw for under 100 yards...and sacked him 10 times....I get his line was terrible..but he knew that too....he had a horrible day....several groundballs on screens or short passes...if he changed plays or protection at the line in that game it is more indicative of him being confused than a genius since little worked...and I watched the game..every snap...as well as a good deal of his career....long time PSU fan...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 28 2016, 08:12 PM) *
Do I have proof? Yes...he threw for under 100 yards...and sacked him 10 times....I get his line was terrible..but he knew that too....he had a horrible day....several groundballs on screens or short passes...if he changed plays or protection at the line in that game it is more indicative of him being confused than a genius since little worked...and I watched the game..every snap...as well as a good deal of his career....long time PSU fan...

Just saying "I get that his line was terrible" doesn't change the reality that you don't acknowledge it. They were beyond terrible. They were playing a senior laden top-25 defense. Completely overmatched.

As the video calls out, his accuracy issues were largely the result of poor footwork, which often reared its head when functioning out of the shotgun. His oblivious coaching staff refused to accept the reality of the situation.
HobbEs
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 28 2016, 08:14 PM) *
I know I'm old school, but I prefer my franchise QB to have played well in college.

I'll pass.

If he's there in the 4th round, maybe I dip the toe in the pool.

Otherwise, no thanks.

Dan Marino was the most intercepted QB in college football. Just sayin...
nd9kel
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 29 2016, 08:09 AM) *
Dan Marino was the most intercepted QB in college football. Just sayin...

And he never won a Super Bowl.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jan 29 2016, 09:18 AM) *
And he never won a Super Bowl.

And you probably think that was his fault?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.