Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As Steven Tyler Would Say
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
"I'm back!!!"
"I'm back in the saddle again!"

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/01/...kV1dthPJYkyT.99

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...................

The team that got a week's head start on their coach and GM search

Still doesn't have a fucking GM.

And it's Senior Bowl Week!!

Maybe Roger Daltrey was on to something................................

"Meet the New Boss"
"Same as the Old Boss"

This is surreal.

It truly is.

Is Jeff in over his head, or just purely delusional?
Zero
I share your frustration, but maybe he's trying to hire the right guy. As always, we need to see how this plays out.
nephillymike
Do you think we are behind in scouting of FA and college guys because Chip and Marynowitz are gone and no replacement has been found?

I got to believe the answer to that question is yes, in this most important time of the year for these guys.

Maybe it is Heckert who they're waiting for.
Zero
I'm sure the scouts have been doing their work, and I'd guess the reports Marynowitz compiled are property of the Eagles. We'd all be more comfortable if they had a solid personnel evaluator hired, but I'd think this is the compilation period more than the decision period. Do you agree?
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 28 2016, 06:42 AM) *
Do you think we are behind in scouting of FA and college guys because Chip and Marynowitz are gone and no replacement has been found?

Oh, but we do have a replacement, his name is Howie Roseman --- the best damn personnel scout in the league. And, he will also be doubling as the GM.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jan 28 2016, 07:50 AM) *
Oh, but we do have a replacement, his name is Howie Roseman --- the best damn personnel scout in the league. And, he will also be doubling as the GM.

yea any personnel person they bring in will be beneath Roseman whether Lurie admits it or not.

from his Presser....

Q: Will the new player personnel head report to Howie Roseman?

Lurie: "All questions of structure will be determined after the search is complete."

Q: So you haven’t made the decision on that yet?

Lurie: "Can’t reveal any decision on that because it would impact our ability to find the right people we’ve designated in the search."

its a yes or no question. Lurie attempts to obfuscate because the answer is yes

at first Lurie tries to say they will make a decision on whether Howie will be the 'actual' GM after they hire the personnel guy...which makes no sense. who takes a job without knowing who they report to? what owner waits to hire someone before he figures out how his team is actually run?

then in the second answer Lurie gets closer to the truth. basically: 'of course the decision has been made...but I cant reveal that he will be reporting to Howie because that severely limits the job candidates.'

apparently the coaching search and the personnel search has shown Lurie that top-notch execs don't want to work under Howie. so much so that he pretends that he doesn't know (or hasn't determined) the structure of his own team's FO. if Lurie is aware of how much a hindrance Howie is to his team's ability to bring in the best people, why would Lurie then stick with Howie's influence?

what the team needs is a GM....but Howie is in the way. so we will get a glorified scout who is more than happy to get a raise and report to Howie
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 27 2016, 10:57 PM) *
Is Jeff in over his head, or just purely delusional?

We've had this discussion several times, the guy is absolutely clueless about how to run an organization. However, the film industry and the NFL are two places where you basically can't lose money. At least he's priced out most of the drunk hooligans. rolleyes.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 28 2016, 07:09 AM) *
I'm sure the scouts have been doing their work, and I'd guess the reports Marynowitz compiled are property of the Eagles. We'd all be more comfortable if they had a solid personnel evaluator hired, but I'd think this is the compilation period more than the decision period. Do you agree?

I believe that at this time of the year, a GM is very important. You need someone to provide direction and coordinate efforts at a time of the year that you can't miss because you have guys scouting the wrong guys.

Can't agree Z. I think it's crucial.
nephillymike
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Jan 28 2016, 05:03 PM) *
yea any personnel person they bring in will be beneath Roseman whether Lurie admits it or not.

from his Presser....

Q: Will the new player personnel head report to Howie Roseman?

Lurie: "All questions of structure will be determined after the search is complete."

Q: So you haven’t made the decision on that yet?

Lurie: "Can’t reveal any decision on that because it would impact our ability to find the right people we’ve designated in the search."

its a yes or no question. Lurie attempts to obfuscate because the answer is yes

at first Lurie tries to say they will make a decision on whether Howie will be the 'actual' GM after they hire the personnel guy...which makes no sense. who takes a job without knowing who they report to? what owner waits to hire someone before he figures out how his team is actually run?

then in the second answer Lurie gets closer to the truth. basically: 'of course the decision has been made...but I cant reveal that he will be reporting to Howie because that severely limits the job candidates.'

apparently the coaching search and the personnel search has shown Lurie that top-notch execs don't want to work under Howie. so much so that he pretends that he doesn't know (or hasn't determined) the structure of his own team's FO. if Lurie is aware of how much a hindrance Howie is to his team's ability to bring in the best people, why would Lurie then stick with Howie's influence?

what the team needs is a GM....but Howie is in the way. so we will get a glorified scout who is more than happy to get a raise and report to Howie

Good stuff BWB!

The way I read Lurie's comment was that Howie's role is dependent with who they can hire.

If they can get an A guy with tons of experience, then Howie will take a back seat.

If they can't, then they will hire a glorified scout looking for a raise like you say, and Howie is the head man again.
Zero
They're interviewing Brandon Hunt from the Steelers. Jeff has modeled the collaborative personnel after the Steelers apparently, so I guess that makes sense.
Hunt new pro scouting coordinator
Posted Feb 11, 2010
By Bob Labriola - Steelers.com
On the same day the Buffalo Bills announced the hiring of Doug Whaley to be their Assistant General Manager, the Steelers hired his replacement.
Brandon Hunt, who broke into the NFL as an intern in the Steelers player personnel department, replaces Whaley as the team’s Pro Scouting Coordinator.
Hunt may have been born in Los Angeles, but he still qualifies as a “Pittsburgh guy.” He attended high school at Pine-Richland, located about a 30-minute drive north of Heinz Field, and he attended college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, which is located less than 50 miles to the east of the city.
Hunt’s professional career began as a graduate assistant at IUP in 2004, and after a year there he was hired by the Steelers to work in their player personnel department, headed by Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert.
During his first stint with the Steelers during the 2005 and 2006 NFL seasons, Hunt assisted with both the college and pro scouting, and he was on board when the team won Super Bowl XL to give the franchise its fifth Lombardi Trophy.
When his internship concluded in the spring of 2007, Hunt quickly was hired by the Houston Texans. He started there in June 2007 and served as a pro scout for the team until being hired by the Steelers as their new Pro Scouting Coordinator.
At IUP, Hunt was a four-year starter at guard and center at IUP from 2000-03. He captained the team as a senior and earned first-team All-PSAC and All-Region honors at guard. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in management information systems in December 2003 and a Master of Business Administration degree in August 2006.
Linc ...
Hunt ...
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 28 2016, 08:16 PM) *
If they can get an A guy with tons of experience, then Howie will take a back seat.

this is what I'm hoping for. it should have happened years ago.

Howie will not be on board with hiring a guy that will put him again in the back seat. hopefully Lurie wont care about that and will hire the best guy he can find

I'm not optimistic that Lurie will do that but maybe he has learned his lesson after all
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 28 2016, 08:36 PM) *
They're interviewing Brandon Hunt from the Steelers. Jeff has modeled the collaborative personnel after the Steelers apparently, so I guess that makes sense.

no disrespect to Brandon Hunt, he is apparently making his bones as an up and coming young NFL exec, but this is exactly the kind of hire I mentioned in my previous post

Howie is the man
nephillymike
And so it continues...................

Also, as was pointed out today, with Howie spending all of this money, it is almost guaranteed that they will bring in a under experienced guy who will report to Howie. If they had anyone big in their sights, they would have had that person in on these decisions.

Wow!!

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/01/...-doug-pederson/
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 28 2016, 07:09 AM) *

BTW, they are saying that the eagles are actually missing three execs!!

Geez.

Jeff's in over his head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.