Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much does Bradford get paid next year?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
So much has been made of the huge contract that Bradford will get....oddly enough it is usually the guys saying how bad or mediocre he is that trot out this narrative....so I am curious....how much do you really think he will get?

His comeback year was a mixed bag....slow start..nice finish. I like him as a QB but I am baffled by the folks who think he gets $18-20 guaranteed....almost everyone of the guys in that range were either drafted to lead their teams, have had extended success or are in their 2nd contract with their teams(or 3rd) and yet the accepted narrative is to treat Bradford and his presumed leverage as a foregone conclusion of a similar salary/deal. The comment of the agent at the Senior Bowl is telling when asked how much Bradford is worth.....7-8 Million.....now he will get more than that but to assume that Bradford is going to get 18 is to assume that Griffin gets paid well also.....similar draft status...younger...more success....lower previous salary....

The debate is a curious one when the opposition sites his lack of ability for the reasons to not sign him yet it his ability that will demand the high number......I do not think either is true....the eagles know it....his agent knows it and the league knows it.....if we had a full time Eagles writer more interested in actual work vs. 25 points of best rock concerts for fat drunk white guys then we, the fans, would have a better understanding as well...
D Rock
I'm thinking he gets $14-16 mil per year on a 4 year deal. So roughly $60 mill with half of it guaranteed.
rumply
So you dont think he'll get tagged Reality Fan?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (rumply @ Jan 27 2016, 04:08 PM) *
So you dont think he'll get tagged Reality Fan?

unlikely.....for the same reasons...

If there is no market for Bradford or one that touches those high numbers and Bradford sign the tag offer they are stuck and Bradford has all the leverage to negotiate the new contract....

I think Condon is talking to what few teams there are that are willing to pay him more than 10 million and he will then come back to the Eagles and the negotiating will begin.....When you look at the QB list of salaries there really is no one like Bradford that has gotten big money....Smith is the only guy but he has some pretty impressive win loss numbers the 2 years before KC and his was an extension....

nephillymike
You know my guess, 4 yrs/ 72M, 40M guaranteed.

And NO, I don't think he's worth it. But contracts only measure what the highest bidder will pay, not average market value.

It's the QB syndrome.

Over the years, any time I looked at an upcoming QB contract, they always signed for much more than I thought they were worth.

I don't think he will be different.

Now on who's dime, that's another question.

My little poll had it unanimous on here to do the deal above.

I do see your point about the market not being a seller's market. That could have an impact and my beer and wings could be in jeopardy.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 27 2016, 07:31 PM) *
You know my guess, 4 yrs/ 72M, 40M guaranteed.

And NO, I don't think he's worth it. But contracts only measure what the highest bidder will pay, not average market value.

It's the QB syndrome.

Over the years, any time I looked at an upcoming QB contract, they always signed for much more than I thought they were worth.

I don't think he will be different.

Now on who's dime, that's another question.

My little poll had it unanimous on here to do the deal above.

I do see your point about the market not being a seller's market. That could have an impact and my beer and wings could be in jeopardy.

I am curious as to what you are basing your numbers on....remember, the articles by the citizen soldier blog gang are about as reliable as my dog writing about it and of only slightly better quality....I am amazed at the complete lack of research for most articles by guys who have made it their job....any of us could do a lot of this stuff.

nephillymike
On a side note, what did the writers do to you?

Geez!

I don't think they do great jobs, but they are after all just sports writers.

I mean it would be nice if they could put a real 8 hours into the job they do, but I don't have any ill feelings to them.

I think their knowledge is more shallow than it should be, but it ain't like there are many MikeyNumbers out there!!

You have some big time hate toward Roob. While I don't see him as being a wealth of info, Mikey Jr did run into him on a train coming home from school last year and he was pretty nice to him. He had a good conversation about what was the story of the time, the Eagles FA signings last year (it was the day Gore turned us down).

Why the hate? Did he cut you off on a call in?

Again, not saying they're all of that but, I just don't get the hate.

As far as where I get my numbers:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

BTW, sort it by average per year to get a better feel.

So even I, who see Bradford as being average to below average, will admit in looking at these numbers, if you just put him in as the 16th best QB deserving of the 16th best deal, and then do a simple NFL inflation factor of 7% to match the salary cap growth, one would have no problem getting to the 72/4/40 numbers I've been projecting. Just look at Smith and Stafford and inflation adjust them and you'll be pretty close.

It's funny. You are having buyers remorse before you buy, and I am leaning toward the sad reality of having to pay this guy more than I think he's worth. It should be the opposite, no?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 27 2016, 09:02 PM) *
On a side note, what did the writers do to you?

Geez!

I don't think they do great jobs, but they are after all just sports writers.

I mean it would be nice if they could put a real 8 hours into the job they do, but I don't have any ill feelings to them.

I think their knowledge is more shallow than it should be, but it ain't like there are many MikeyNumbers out there!!

You have some big time hate toward Roob. While I don't see him as being a wealth of info, Mikey Jr did run into him on a train coming home from school last year and he was pretty nice to him. He had a good conversation about what was the story of the time, the Eagles FA signings last year (it was the day Gore turned us down).

Why the hate? Did he cut you off on a call in?

Again, not saying they're all of that but, I just don't get the hate.

As far as where I get my numbers:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

BTW, sort it by average per year to get a better feel.

So even I, who see Bradford as being average to below average, will admit in looking at these numbers, if you just put him in as the 16th best QB deserving of the 16th best deal, and then do a simple NFL inflation factor of 7% to match the salary cap growth, one would have no problem getting to the 72/4/40 numbers I've been projecting. Just look at Smith and Stafford and inflation adjust them and you'll be pretty close.

It's funny. You are having buyers remorse before you buy, and I am leaning toward the sad reality of having to pay this guy more than I think he's worth. It should be the opposite, no?

First off....I can't stand Ruben Frank for several reasons

1. He was a ball licker for McCoy because McCoy gave him locker room gravy and then he ignored all the shitty stuff McCoy did...once he was gone Frank stayed quiet and then acted as if he was not his buddy
2. He is a lousy writer and pads his stories with silly non-football stuff to mask his terrible work ethic
3. He is better and antagonistic toward the FO because they keep him shut out and he has to find out information like you and I

The rest of the writers? I like Murphy.....he has a brain and did a great job with the Phillies beat.

It is the blog guys, those are the guys I really can't stand..they compile stories on one site so that is good but then they try to write their own stuff and fail miserably with articles that are poorly researched and usually completely wrong....if they want the job than do the job...

Now on to your numbers....you have me really confused...regardless of who you think he is better than or worse than that is not really relevant here.....

For an example...I think he is better than Cutler but Cutler has been with the Bears for ever....to stay there his extensions were progressions from his previous contracts...same with Smith...or Tannehill

Bradford is not in that position.....and his history precludes a big market for him to command big money....
Zero
I think most of the Eagles QB talk we're seeing in the media is positioning for negotiations. The Eagles aren't looking at signing impending FA Aaron Rogers, they're looking at a still relatively unknown player in Sam Bradford. How they proceed with this and who they get for their QB defines the future success of the franchise for at least the next four years and it could be argued for longer. This decision will shape the franchise.

I think Parks is guessing when he says Bradford wants the Eagles but the feeling may not be mutual, but I do think it's the message the Eagles want to send to Condon. The Eagles are looking at their options and that's smart.

It may be they'll try to sign Bradford to a short term, team friendly deal that may benefit both sides. Bradford will be in position to show his skills and value, the Eagles save cap space and find out if he's their guy. In the meantime, it's clear to me that they're also serious about drafting a young QB for the future. This was Andy's way and an absolute need for the team. This is why they have three QB coaches on the staff. What they're trying to decide now is how soon they draft the QB of the future and how soon they'll need him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 28 2016, 12:23 AM) *
First off....I can't stand Ruben Frank for several reasons

1. He was a ball licker for McCoy because McCoy gave him locker room gravy and then he ignored all the shitty stuff McCoy did...once he was gone Frank stayed quiet and then acted as if he was not his buddy
2. He is a lousy writer and pads his stories with silly non-football stuff to mask his terrible work ethic
3. He is better and antagonistic toward the FO because they keep him shut out and he has to find out information like you and I

The rest of the writers? I like Murphy.....he has a brain and did a great job with the Phillies beat.

It is the blog guys, those are the guys I really can't stand..they compile stories on one site so that is good but then they try to write their own stuff and fail miserably with articles that are poorly researched and usually completely wrong....if they want the job than do the job...

Now on to your numbers....you have me really confused...regardless of who you think he is better than or worse than that is not really relevant here.....

For an example...I think he is better than Cutler but Cutler has been with the Bears for ever....to stay there his extensions were progressions from his previous contracts...same with Smith...or Tannehill

Bradford is not in that position.....and his history precludes a big market for him to command big money....

But do you think it is unrealistic to peg his deal at the 15th-16th highest in the league and inflation adjust it from there?

If not there, do you go into Foles territory? Or further down into Hoyer, McCown and Sanchez territory? I just don't think he goes below 15th-16th best, adjusted for inflation.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 28 2016, 06:36 AM) *
But do you think it is unrealistic to peg his deal at the 15th-16th highest in the league and inflation adjust it from there?

If not there, do you go into Foles territory? Or further down into Hoyer, McCown and Sanchez territory? I just don't think he goes below 15th-16th best, adjusted for inflation.

yes I think it is unrealistic....as I said....almost every one of the guys above him are on a 2nd contract with the same team...I think it falls in between the established starter money and Foles money......

Someone else here said it best, I think it was Z......this is not resigning Rodgers or a young Manning...

It is an almost hypocritical stance on my part.....I use his history to justify the low number but like him as a QB.....I get that, but I tried to be objective looking at those teams looking for a QB, their current personnel and cap situation and what their beat guys are saying about the franchise direction....using those 3 things it becomes readily apparent that there are few suitors and no extremely desperate suitors that have not been bitten by risky starter choices...

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 28 2016, 06:10 AM) *
I think most of the Eagles QB talk we're seeing in the media is positioning for negotiations. The Eagles aren't looking at signing impending FA Aaron Rogers, they're looking at a still relatively unknown player in Sam Bradford. How they proceed with this and who they get for their QB defines the future success of the franchise for at least the next four years and it could be argued for longer. This decision will shape the franchise.

I think Parks is guessing when he says Bradford wants the Eagles but the feeling may not be mutual, but I do think it's the message the Eagles want to send to Condon. The Eagles are looking at their options and that's smart.

I think this is the perfect explanation of the situation.....you said it much better than my bumbling posts...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 28 2016, 08:55 AM) *
It is an almost hypocritical stance on my part.....I use his history to justify the low number but like him as a QB.....I get that

Yes it is. Buyers remorse before the sale!!

I too am hypocritical as I don't think he is a good enough QB, but I think he will get paid handsomely.

Well a little #'s exercise, using 4 years.

Is he Andy Dalton? if so Andy's 16.0M this year, when inflation adjusted at 7% a year = $76M over 4 = 19 M per year.

If he is a M less than Dalton? Then, his 15.0 last year when adj for the same growth o 71.2M over 4 = 17.8M per year.

to mention Foles is way off for the reason that Foles wasn't a FA, he had no ability to go out.

The fact that Bradford is will make his significantly more valuable so I don't think Foles 12.2M average is anywhere near close.

Hey, at the least I am not sure about Bradford. So if we're making what I perceive to be a risky move, I'd love for it to be at $13M per than $18M per. I'd gladly pay for beers and wings for that. If it is less than $18M per, it will be only a tad below, but I don't see it.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 28 2016, 08:09 PM) *
Yes it is. Buyers remorse before the sale!!

I too am hypocritical as I don't think he is a good enough QB, but I think he will get paid handsomely.

Well a little #'s exercise, using 4 years.

Is he Andy Dalton? if so Andy's 16.0M this year, when inflation adjusted at 7% a year = $76M over 4 = 19 M per year.

If he is a M less than Dalton? Then, his 15.0 last year when adj for the same growth o 71.2M over 4 = 17.8M per year.

to mention Foles is way off for the reason that Foles wasn't a FA, he had no ability to go out.

The fact that Bradford is will make his significantly more valuable so I don't think Foles 12.2M average is anywhere near close.

Hey, at the least I am not sure about Bradford. So if we're making what I perceive to be a risky move, I'd love for it to be at $13M per than $18M per. I'd gladly pay for beers and wings for that. If it is less than $18M per, it will be only a tad below, but I don't see it.

So now the latest word out is that Bradford may take a one year deal at 13 million to up his value for a long term deal...hmmm....do you know a place with good sweet and spicy wings?
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/01/...lti-year-deals/

Seems like the word out is that there is no high price contract out there for him...
Joegrane
If that is correct, it suggests that the Texans are not interested. Maybe they really want Hackenberg.

This is risky for the Eagles. Bradford will make them a better team next year. That means a higher draft pick and presumably no chance for an elite QB.

If Bradford moves on after next year, will Sanchez be around to fill in?

With all of the resignings will they have cap space for Bradford?

They could end up in a difficult spot.

I suppose this is what happens when you draft poorly and have to fill too many holes with overpaid FAs

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 28 2016, 09:00 PM) *
So now the latest word out is that Bradford may take a one year deal at 13 million to up his value for a long term deal...hmmm........

Seems like the word out is that there is no high price contract out there for him...

mcnabbulous
Unless they think Bradford is the longterm answer, I think they have to move on this year and grab someone early in the draft.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 29 2016, 11:19 AM) *
Unless they think Bradford is the longterm answer, I think they have to move on this year and grab someone early in the draft.

If there was anyone in the draft that fit that bill I would agree but this the 2013 draft all over again
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 29 2016, 10:38 AM) *
If there was anyone in the draft that fit that bill I would agree but this the 2013 draft all over again

You're not going to get Andrew Luck at pick #13 in any draft (and likely not going to get him at #1 in most).

If you wait for a perfect prospect, you'll likely be waiting forever.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 29 2016, 12:46 PM) *
You're not going to get Andrew Luck at pick #13 in any draft (and likely not going to get him at #1 in most).

If you wait for a perfect prospect, you'll likely be waiting forever.

I agree completely but this class is pretty poor....every one of them is a long shot...maybe one of them hits but these guys are all Dysert or Nassib caliber guys
mcnabbulous
Have to disagree with you. Three of these guys have a lot of physical talent to work with. Those guys you named were super limited prospects.

Goff is interesting, but I think he has baby hands.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 28 2016, 09:00 PM) *
So now the latest word out is that Bradford may take a one year deal at 13 million to up his value for a long term deal...hmmm....do you know a place with good sweet and spicy wings?

You know what RF, after thinking about it a little further, I think your point about the guys getting early new contracts form the same team as a reason for higher salaries is at best a neutral factor, at worst, it causes their salaries to be less than they would have otherwise. They signed early, before they were FA's. The guys who are FA's get paid more. So I think the FA factor at least equals the extra money that the familiarity with a team a year early would bring.

Not that the extra money would be deserved. But at best it washes out the familiarity factor IMO.

Upon further review, I think I need to start scouting out beers and wings of my choice!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 29 2016, 07:58 PM) *
You know what RF, after thinking about it a little further, I think your point about the guys getting early new contracts form the same team as a reason for higher salaries is at best a neutral factor, at worst, it causes their salaries to be less than they would have otherwise. They signed early, before they were FA's. The guys who are FA's get paid more. So I think the FA factor at least equals the extra money that the familiarity with a team a year early would bring.

Not that the extra money would be deserved. But at best it washes out the familiarity factor IMO.

Upon further review, I think I need to start scouting out beers and wings of my choice!!

are you trying to convince me or yourself? At the QB position, when a team identifies their guy as the franchise guy they overpay early to keep from letting them sniff FA.....They give them a generous salary more than any other position....and guarantee more money....and when you look at it there are only about 18 guys or less who fall into this territory...it is a position where you need to prove you are their guy and then you get rewarded.....especially in the post-crazy draft deal era.

Remember...sweet and spicy.....but don't worry...there are lots of PJ Whelijans up here....if you play your cards right I will take you to a Phantoms game as well....I have season tickets...Club seats 6th row near center ice....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 29 2016, 08:57 PM) *
are you trying to convince me or yourself? At the QB position, when a team identifies their guy as the franchise guy they overpay early to keep from letting them sniff FA.....They give them a generous salary more than any other position....and guarantee more money....and when you look at it there are only about 18 guys or less who fall into this territory...it is a position where you need to prove you are their guy and then you get rewarded.....especially in the post-crazy draft deal era.

Remember...sweet and spicy.....but don't worry...there are lots of PJ Whelijans up here....if you play your cards right I will take you to a Phantoms game as well....I have season tickets...Club seats 6th row near center ice....

So do you think that most of those guys would have made less if they waited until after their deal was done and became a FA? I don't think so, not at all. There would be a big bump for them. Now maybe SB is not identified as one of "Them", but I think him being a FA will make up for the money that familiarity paid those guys a year early.

72-4-40. biggrin.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 29 2016, 09:07 PM) *
So do you think that most of those guys would have made less if they waited until after their deal was done and became a FA? I don't think so, not at all. There would be a big bump for them. Now maybe SB is not identified as one of "Them", but I think him being a FA will make up for the money that familiarity paid those guys a year early.

72-4-40. biggrin.gif

No...I think those teams did not want to risk a bidding war for established successful starters....are you saying that Bradford is an established successful starter?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 30 2016, 12:34 AM) *
No...I think those teams did not want to risk a bidding war for established successful starters....are you saying that Bradford is an established successful starter?

No I don't think he is, not at all.

However, I will concede that the others may get more than he based on that, but the bump he'll get from being a FA, even if only a few suitors, will make up that gap for him, so when all is said and done, the two factors will combine to put him where they were, and, judging from their deals, shouldn't be difficult to get in that stratosphere. Add his agent's rep to the mix, and easier still.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 30 2016, 03:23 AM) *
No I don't think he is, not at all.

However, I will concede that the others may get more than he based on that, but the bump he'll get from being a FA, even if only a few suitors, will make up that gap for him, so when all is said and done, the two factors will combine to put him where they were, and, judging from their deals, shouldn't be difficult to get in that stratosphere. Add his agent's rep to the mix, and easier still.

You are tough...now please Identify the QB FA with similar numbers who landed a bonanza contract....there isn't one...outside of Smith who has a good to great resume....all of the QBs have "tenure" with their teams. Bradofrd was one of the last crazy draft deals and now you think he will be a crazy FA deal
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 30 2016, 08:59 AM) *
You are tough...now please Identify the QB FA with similar numbers who landed a bonanza contract....there isn't one...outside of Smith who has a good to great resume....all of the QBs have "tenure" with their teams. Bradofrd was one of the last crazy draft deals and now you think he will be a crazy FA deal

I don't think being paid as the 16th or 17th highest paid QB for a 28 yr old QB who is a FA and has an agent who is known to get a ton, and is probably around the 17th-19th best QB in the league would qualify as a bonanza contract.

Now if he were considered to be around the 22-25th best QB, then it would be a bonanza contract, but I know a guy who says he is much better than that, so it must be!! devil03.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 30 2016, 07:33 PM) *
I don't think being paid as the 16th or 17th highest paid QB for a 28 yr old QB who is a FA and has an agent who is known to get a ton, and is probably around the 17th-19th best QB in the league would qualify as a bonanza contract.

Now if he were considered to be around the 22-25th best QB, then it would be a bonanza contract, but I know a guy who says he is much better than that, so it must be!! devil03.gif

It is the tier of established team franchise QBs vs. the guy a team hopes might earn that title.....
samaroo
This is fun to watch! I'm waiting for NEPM's rallying battle cry:

"72-4-40 or fight!"
The Franchise
He's earned a good contract. Sign his ass and start looking for weapons to give him. It's worth noting that Pederson will likely utilize Ertz very well unlike our departed genius, so he'll already have an excellent TE.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 1 2016, 12:22 PM) *
He's earned a good contract. Sign his ass and start looking for weapons to give him. It's worth noting that Pederson will likely utilize Ertz very well unlike our departed genius, so he'll already have an excellent TE.

Is playing marginally well for half a season the new benchmark for a good contract?
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 12:50 PM) *
Is playing marginally well for half a season the new benchmark for a good contract?

No, playing very well for half a season with shit receivers and an idiot coach is. I don't have much confidence in us drafting his replacement.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 1 2016, 12:56 PM) *
No, playing very well for half a season with shit receivers and an idiot coach is. I don't have much confidence in us drafting his replacement.

This is the same "idiot" that coached Jackson, McCoy, Foles, Maclin, Sanchez and Bradford to their best statistical seasons.

Bradford is a perennial underachiever who looked serviceable down the stretch. As we have learned, in Chip's system, looks can be deceiving....especially for his QB's.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 01:27 PM) *
This is the same "idiot" that coached Jackson, McCoy, Foles, Maclin, Sanchez and Bradford to their best statistical seasons.

Sanchez sucks. Bradford's best statistical season was 2014. Our idiot ex-coach got rid of the others.

Try again. And who will replace Bradford again?
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 1 2016, 01:43 PM) *
Bradford's best statistical season was 2014.

Bradford didn't play in 2014. I think you meant 2013, which he only played six full games.

Our idiot ex-coach got rid of the others.

None of the players he got rid of achieved similar levels of statistical success.

And who will replace Bradford again?

Just so I am clear, you want to reward Bradford with a good contract for playing a marginally well for half a season for fear of who is replacement may be? or do you feel that Bradford is a very good QB who can be the cornerstone for the franchise moving forward?

I have repeatedly suggested that he hasn't done enough to receive a good contract. his rookie deal was based on potential, this contract shouldn't be a question of whether he is good enough. Give him a three year deal that is heavily incentive based. Otherwise tag him and let him continue his audition through next season. Either way this team needs to draft a QB this off season.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 07:53 PM) *
Just so I am clear, you want to reward Bradford with a good contract for playing a marginally well for half a season for fear of who is replacement may be?

No. I want to reward Bradford with a fair market contract because once he shook the rust off, he played very well despite poor O line play and absolute keystone cops performance from the entire WR corps.
do you feel that Bradford is a very good QB who can be the cornerstone for the franchise moving forward?

100% yes.
I have repeatedly suggested that he hasn't done enough to receive a good contract.

You've repeatedly been wrong.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 1 2016, 03:08 PM) *
No. I want to reward Bradford with a fair market contract because once he shook the rust off, he played very well.

How do you determine market value? when he has underperformed for the vast majority of his career? Your opinion is based on 5-6 games. What of the other 57 games in his pro career? Fair market would suggest that he is in the bottom tier of QB's. Would it surprise you to know that Brandon Weeden put up similar numbers to Bradford's 5-6 game 'explosion'? or that Ryan Fitzpatrick had similar numbers for the Jets this season.
bwc2112
I got fifty bucks says bus ticket or back up and Sanchez is out.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 05:23 PM) *
How do you determine market value? when he has underperformed for the vast majority of his career? Your opinion is based on 5-6 games. What of the other 57 games in his pro career? Fair market would suggest that he is in the bottom tier of QB's. Would it surprise you to know that Brandon Weeden put up similar numbers to Bradford's 5-6 game 'explosion'? or that Ryan Fitzpatrick had similar numbers for the Jets this season.

The biggest consideration, outside of Bradford's modest improvement over the course of the season, is that we don't know how to properly consider the "Chip bump" which has positively impacted each guy he coached with the Eagles.

If Sam plays in a more traditional offense, does he regress back to his previous state?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 1 2016, 08:40 PM) *
If Sam plays in a more traditional offense, does he regress back to his previous state?
Or, does he progress to another level because of a more familiar system?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 06:23 PM) *

I have to correct something here regarding Weeden...I read the same article but there is one huge difference...

First....Weeden never threw for more than 250 yards.....
He threw for 971 yds with 4 TDs and 2 Picks and for 2 of those games he had some guy named D'Andre Hopkins.

Bradford nearly doubled that at 1979 yds in just 2 more games...and did double in with 10 TDs and 4 picks and in only one of those games was his rating below 91.

Also...neither Weeden or Fitzpatrick missed 1.5 seasons to a knee injury....

Fitzpatrick had the benefit of some guy named Brandon Marshall.(Pro Bowl)...oh yeah...and some guy named Eric Decker (they combined for 189 catches...)

Next.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 1 2016, 08:40 PM) *
The biggest consideration, outside of Bradford's modest improvement over the course of the season, is that we don't know how to properly consider the "Chip bump" which has positively impacted each guy he coached with the Eagles.

Great question...but I think the "Chip Bump" is more fantasy than anything....Foles came back to earth under Chip...and Sanchez had no where to go but up....

The question is was Bradford a victim of playing in Bryan Schottenheimer's scheme?
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 1 2016, 09:13 PM) *
First....Weeden never threw for more than 250 yards.....
He threw for 971 yds with 4 TDs and 2 Picks and for 2 of those games he had some guy named D'Andre Hopkins.

Bradford nearly doubled that at 1979 yds in just 2 more games...and did double in with 10 TDs and 4 picks and in only one of those games was his rating below 91.

Keep in mind that Weedon played for two different teams this season.

Fitzpatrick had the benefit of some guy named Brandon Marshall.(Pro Bowl)...oh yeah...and some guy named Eric Decker (they combined for 189 catches...)

Fitzpatrick and Bradford share very similar career numbers/statistics and results. Their next contracts should be inline with one another.

mcnabbulous
Fitz is way older
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 09:38 PM) *
Keep in mind that Weedon played for two different teams this season.

Fitzpatrick and Bradford share very similar career numbers/statistics and results. Their next contracts should be inline with one another.

Yes he did play for 2 teams and they ran safe schemes for him...Weeden had one play over 40 yds...Bradford had 13...Weeden had 3 plays over 20 yards...Sam Had 46...granted some of those came in the first half of the season but you get the picture..

I don't disagree that Bradford's next contract will be much closer to Fitzpatrick's than to Ryan's
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 1 2016, 10:19 PM) *
Yes he did play for 2 teams and they ran safe schemes for him...Weeden had one play over 40 yds...Bradford had 13...Weeden had 3 plays over 20 yards...Sam Had 46...granted some of those came in the first half of the season but you get the picture..

I don't disagree that Bradford's next contract will be much closer to Fitzpatrick's than to Ryan's

This must be KILLING YOU!!

It is fun for me watching you argue with yourself.

It reminds me of that scene in Animal House where the guy has the drunk teenager and the devil is over one shoulder saying fuck her! while the angel on the other saying, no no, you can't take advantage of her!!

It may be worth beers and wings just on the entertainment value!! biggrin.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 1 2016, 06:23 PM) *

What is $72M-4 yrs- 40M guaranteed, Alex??
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 1 2016, 10:37 PM) *
This must be KILLING YOU!!

It is fun for me watching you argue with yourself.

It reminds me of that scene in Animal House where the guy has the drunk teenager and the devil is over one shoulder saying fuck her! while the angel on the other saying, no no, you can't take advantage of her!!

It may be worth beers and wings just on the entertainment value!! biggrin.gif

As I have said...I like Bradford and I think he would be good here....at the same time, when looking at his body of work/numbers and the situation he is in it is clear to see that he will have a hard time getting a big dollar contract like a Matt Stafford or Andy Dalton and their ilk. He is basically still in a :prove it" position.

I am just looking at it realistically from those in market for a FA QB to those looking at the draft etc...When you look at the complete picture it is easy to see that there is no one that will pony up $20 million per..
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 1 2016, 10:43 PM) *
As I have said...I like Bradford and I think he would be good here....at the same time, when looking at his body of work/numbers and the situation he is in it is clear to see that he will have a hard time getting a big dollar contract like a Matt Stafford or Andy Dalton and their ilk. He is basically still in a :prove it" position.

I am just looking at it realistically from those in market for a FA QB to those looking at the draft etc...When you look at the complete picture it is easy to see that there is no one that will pony up $20 million per..

$20M?? Have you moved the bar up?

We don't need no stinkin' $20M

Just $18M. A measly pittance is all we ask!!.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 1 2016, 10:54 PM) *
$20M?? Have you moved the bar up?

We don't need no stinkin' $20M

Just $18M. A measly pittance is all we ask!!.

Not gonna happen.....

He either signs with the Eagles for 14-15 per for 3 or 4 years (maybe an extra year with phony money to boost the yearly average) or he signs somewhere else for 1 year for 13-14 on a "show me" contract.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.