Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Celek gets new deal
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/1/...nteed-zach-ertz

I'm glad he is sticking around, probably cut his cap hit in half and gives us two solid TEs for a few years...
Birdman420
very happy to hear this, Celek is a true eagle
Joegrane
I have mixed feelings about this. I like Celek--obviously--but I don't see how they can fit him under the cap if Sam B and V Curry are coming back.

Of course if Sam is not coming back, it is good that they are providing Sanchez with weapons. Celek was able to make plays as a receiver in 2015. Kelly's smoothies seem to have been great for Celek.

QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Jan 26 2016, 03:09 PM) *
very happy to hear this, Celek is a true eagle

Zero
I think the message here is that they're worried about both the cap and the locker room. They're sending a message that the "old Eagles" are back, the team that values and rewards players' contributions. Celek is respected by his teammates and still contributes on the field but his $5 mil cap hit was restricting the team from doing other things.

Seriously, players had to look at what Kelly did to DJax, Shady and Mathis and wonder where the loyalty was. DJax may have been an asshat but he served a purpose on the offense that disappeared after he was dumped for nothing. Lurie, Howie and Pedy want the players to know that things have changed. I don't mean to pile on, but did Kelly do anything that would inspire team loyalty from the players?

Cox, Curry, Johnson ... We know they've contacted Curry. Cox and Johnson are under contract this year and not quite as urgent. Both Barwin and Jenkins have cap hits over $7 mil. Are they on the radar too? Howie's got his work cut out for him and I bet he's motivated.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 27 2016, 07:02 AM) *
I think the message here is that they're worried about both the cap and the locker room. They're sending a message that the "old Eagles" are back, the team that values and rewards players' contributions. Celek is respected by his teammates and still contributes on the field but his $5 mil cap hit was restricting the team from doing other things.

Seriously, players had to look at what Kelly did to DJax, Shady and Mathis and wonder where the loyalty was. DJax may have been an asshat but he served a purpose on the offense that disappeared after he was dumped for nothing. Lurie, Howie and Pedy want the players to know that things have changed. I don't mean to pile on, but did Kelly do anything that would inspire team loyalty from the players?

Cox, Curry, Johnson ... We know they've contacted Curry. Cox and Johnson are under contract this year and not quite as urgent. Both Barwin and Jenkins have cap hits over $7 mil. Are they on the radar too? Howie's got his work cut out for him and I bet he's motivated.

What "old Eagles" are you talking about, Joe Lowball Banner?

I don't think they are sending, or trying to send a message that the 'old Eagles" are back by signing Celek to a more cap friendly extension. To me they are saying this is a dependable guy who isn't done yet, and we need him to block, which is something Ertz struggles with.

Fuck DJax. When that pussy pouted and took the whole fucking year off --- how was that for team loyalty --- they couldn't get rid of that punk-ass bitch fast enough for me.

It wasn't Kelly's job to inspire team loyalty. It was his job to coach them and win games, not hold their hands or be a Daddy to them. The fact that they were getting well paid should have been all the incentive they needed to be loyal to the organization.

The Franchise
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jan 27 2016, 08:41 AM) *
It wasn't Kelly's job to inspire team loyalty. It was his job to coach them and win games, not hold their hands or be a Daddy to them. The fact that they were getting well paid should have been all the incentive they needed to be loyal to the organization.

I've had this argument here before. You're living in the 50's - I agree with you in principle, but that isn't the reality of today's NFL. Yes, it IS his job to keep his players (largely young kid multi-millionaires) loyal, focused, and motivated. He made it clear they were poker chips to him. They responded. Nobody likes DJax's attitude, but he was a crucial part of our offense, as was Maclin and Shady who were also canned. As it turns out, you need talent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.