Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zach Ertz, Eagles sign 5-year contract extension
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
The Philadelphia Eagles signed Zach Ertz to a five-year contract extension, according to an official announcement from the team. The 25-year-old tight end is now under contract through the 2021 NFL season.

Linc...
Eagle2720
I'm a big Ertz fan, love the guy and expect big things out of him.. But I'm not sure about giving him top TE money when he hasn't exactly proved anything yet. Especially considering he still had another year, would have much rather extended Cox first or even sign Curry first since he actually is a FA.
mcnabbulous
Ertz is a really solid talent. This contract will look paltry in the coming years once other guys start to sign.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 25 2016, 11:21 AM) *

I like it. Get the worthy young guys signed --- hopefully they work with Zack on his blocking --- and dump the oldies.

It's rebuild time bores and ghouls.
CT_Eagle
Good signing. Keep the good homegrown talent on the roster and build a "team" identity. This contract will get better as each year passes.
Phits
$20m guaranteed
$8.5m annually
$42.5 total value (5 years)

Contract Info
Eyrie
It's a good start to the new regime.

Check Mikey Numbers "reasonable off season" thread and extending Ertz was on everyone's list.
Zero
It used to be a regular thing that the team would attempt to negotiate extensions for their up and coming young players. I don't remember that happening when Kelly was here.
Joegrane
Maybe Zero is correct about the Andy-Howie tradition of extending young guys asap.

Maybe this is Laurie and Howie doing what I was suggesting--spend a little extra this year to stabilize the perception of the team. You don't want to be perceived as being in a downward spiral.

The willingness of Ertz to sign, along with the willingness of Schwartz to come here are positive signs about the future.

Ertz also says Bradford wants to be in Philly. Maybe that is true; maybe it is wishful thinking after how the two ripped up defenses in the last few games of the season.

I don't see Celek making $5 mil next year. Chip liked him. If SF is weak at TE, maybe Chip signs him.

QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 25 2016, 11:26 AM) *
I'm a big Ertz fan, love the guy and expect big things out of him.. But I'm not sure about giving him top TE money when he hasn't exactly proved anything yet. Especially considering he still had another year, would have much rather extended Cox first or even sign Curry first since he actually is a FA.

Eagle2720
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 25 2016, 05:17 PM) *
Maybe Zero is correct about the Andy-Howie tradition of extending young guys asap.

Maybe this is Laurie and Howie doing what I was suggesting--spend a little extra this year to stabilize the perception of the team. You don't want to be perceived as being in a downward spiral.

The willingness of Ertz to sign, along with the willingness of Schwartz to come here are positive signs about the future.

Ertz also says Bradford wants to be in Philly. Maybe that is true; maybe it is wishful thinking after how the two ripped up defenses in the last few games of the season.

I don't see Celek making $5 mil next year. Chip liked him. If SF is weak at TE, maybe Chip signs him.

Believe me I'm not against this whatsoever, like I said I really like Ertz and I'm really happy he's staying here long term, however I also hope is production picks up tremendously, considering he is the 4 highest paid TE now. He had a career year in receptions and yards but I would just like to see him pick up the TDs, his rookie year e had 4 compared to only 2 this year. I'm not gonna be unrealistic and expect him to put up Gronk like numbers but I would like to see at least 8 TDs or so next year.

The negativity I have with the extension is the order it came in. I wanted it done and I'm happy it is, but I would have rather extended Cox first, then sign Curry before FA gets any closer, then start extending Ertz, Lane and whoever else they see fit.

I would include Bradford in there but I feel like he's already out of the price range. I would rather put money into multiple players rather than just one(even though it is the most important position in football). I saw what Ertz said and how he wants Bradford back and how Bradford also wants to be back, JMatt has also been very vocal about wanting him back too. Maybe these guys can convince him to sign for a little less guaranteed money and more incentive sin order to keep the chemistry and convince him that something really good is in the making if he stays.
nephillymike
I like the move and thought we would do it.

Decamera had a good point though.

Any concern about it being done so soon after Pederson was hired.

I would think that something like this could wait a little while until they fried other fish, no?

Did Person have time to review all of the game film yet, to see the good & bad of Ertz?

Was the decision predetermined?

I'm probably picking nits but is does seem real early in the process.
mcnabbulous
If Pederson isn't in on these decisions, it's in our best interest.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 25 2016, 08:40 PM) *
If Pederson isn't in on these decisions, it's in our best interest.

Why so?

What great football mind did we leave here to make that determination?

Jeff?

Howie?

Duce?

Fipp?
mcnabbulous
Whether or not the guys in the building are qualified to evaluate talent (my opinion is that they are not), a head coach shouldn't be making personnel decisions...other than the QB, which is uniquely tied together with the coach.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 25 2016, 08:38 PM) *

I would think that something like this could wait a little while until they fried other fish, no?

Did Person have time to review all of the game film yet, to see the good & bad of Ertz?

Stop using a washed up DJ as a sports information source!!!! The only thin he knows is the hair count on Jaworski's scrotum

I don't care who made this decision, it is about as idiot proof as they come...and I don't even like Ertz all that much

It is like saying we should wait awhile after hiring Pederson to extend Cox....
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 25 2016, 08:38 PM) *

I think we already knew they had targeted three or four players to extend and Ertz was the easiest negotiation. I'm not sure that the decision isn't just a combination of showing a return to the way things used to be and common sense. Ertz, Cox and Johnson wasn't it? Cox should be next because he is supposed to explode in Schwartz's defense and it'll be cheaper before he does. Question is, where does the cap space come from?
Eagle2720
Per Adam Caplan @caplannfl
"#Eagles and TE Brent Celek agreed to a 3-year, $13m deal with $6m guaranteed, per sources."

Looks the speculation of him being cut to save some money isn't gonna happen. Again I love Celek, but I think Cox and Curry should have gotten done before these two. Happy he'll be here for a little longer and most likely end up retiring here.
Rick
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 26 2016, 01:19 PM) *
"#Eagles and TE Brent Celek agreed to a 3-year, $13m deal with $6m guaranteed, per sources."

Looks the speculation of him being cut to save some money isn't gonna happen. Again I love Celek, but I think Cox and Curry should have gotten done before these two. Happy he'll be here for a little longer and most likely end up retiring here.

And do you know that they aren't trying to extend Cox/Curry?

I've gotta say, this group has turned into a bunch of whiners. Be happy they locked up a very good TE. None of us knows what's going on about extending the other guys. They could be working hard to get deals done and Ertz and Celek liked the offers they got so they signed right away.

Sheesh!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 26 2016, 01:19 PM) *

they extended him to save cap money next year....
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 26 2016, 02:15 PM) *
And do you know that they aren't trying to extend Cox/Curry?

I've gotta say, this group has turned into a bunch of whiners. Be happy they locked up a very good TE. None of us knows what's going on about extending the other guys. They could be working hard to get deals done and Ertz and Celek liked the offers they got so they signed right away.

Sheesh!

You're right, I just hope that we are actually in the process of locking those guys up long term too.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 26 2016, 08:20 PM) *
You're right, I just hope that we are actually in the process of locking those guys up long term too.

Cox and Curry have more leverage than a 31 year old TE with a large cap number so will take longer.

I like Celek and he gives us a good combination with Ertz. And who didn't love his game ending slide in the Snow Bowl?

Rick
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 26 2016, 03:20 PM) *

I'm sure they are. I'm also sure it's not going to be as easy a deal. They probably also have to wait and see what happens with Bradford. They're going to have to do some major work to make everyone fit under the cap.

I'm not worried about it yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.