Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are we as a team?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
In your opinion, are we in "win now" mode where we should be loading up and spending close to the max to put our best product on the field this year or are we a 2-3 years away and should proceed accordingly?

We need to answer that question first before we get into the FA and resignings mode.

I say fuck it, go for it!!

Spend like your 52 years old and haven't seen a Super Bowl championship in your life time.

Can I get a witness??
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 23 2016, 10:53 PM) *
In your opinion, are we in "win now" mode where we should be loading up and spending close to the max to put our best product on the field this year or are we a 2-3 years away and should proceed accordingly?

We need to answer that question first before we get into the FA and resignings mode.

Spend like your 52 years old and haven't seen a Super Bowl championship in your life time.

Can I get a witness??

Spend now....all in...go for it....the worst that happens is that we build up for 2017
Eyrie
I think we have too many holes to realistically fill them all in one season.

But I do believe that we have a solid enough roster that, with the right moves, we can win the division this year. So I'd be building for a genuine run in 2017 whilst having hopes for 2016 - I'm not writing off our first season under Pederson.
Zero
I think they should go both ways, be bi-winnable. wub.gif Win now and build for the future.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 24 2016, 09:24 AM) *
I think they should go both ways, be bi-winnable. wub.gif Win now and build for the future.

hahahaha....well done.....as I focus on shoveling 31" of snow I needed that laugh....thank you!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 24 2016, 10:41 AM) *
hahahaha....well done.....as I focus on shoveling 31" of snow I needed that laugh....thank you!

Me and the boys were out for 1 -3/4 hours.

In for lunch break (we're union) and then out for hopefully an hour to wrap things up then it's:

Are You Ready For Some Football??

Hopefully I'll be fully shovelled, showered, and shaved and in my comfy chair with beer of choice by 3:00.

BTW, Nova on at 1 so maybe if the shovelling gods are kind, I'll catch the last 1/2 of that.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 24 2016, 12:40 PM) *
Me and the boys were out for 1 -3/4 hours.

In for lunch break (we're union) and then out for hopefully an hour to wrap things up then it's:

Are You Ready For Some Football??

Hopefully I'll be fully shovelled, showered, and shaved and in my comfy chair with beer of choice by 3:00.

BTW, Nova on at 1 so maybe if the shovelling gods are kind, I'll catch the last 1/2 of that.

I FUCKING HATE SNOW!!!!!!!!!
Joegrane
I'm surprised. I'd expect that attitude from a younger person.

We are around the same age. Don't you recall the horrid 10 yrs from the late 60's to the late 70's when they did not even have one winning season?!

Given their situation, they firstly need to protect against a melt-down that will leave them perceived as one of the worst teams in the league.

Recall what happened after the Buddy Ryan firing. So much of the talent on that team, especially the great defense, got scattered around the league--2 All Pros to Oakland, two more Pro Bowlers to Green Bay, etc.

The #1 priority is for them to not be considered the equivalent of the Cleveland Browns to free agents, coaches, and front office professionals.

If Curry signs with the Eagles I'm confident Schwartz will make them an above average D. They will be stable there. Even the willingness of Schwartz to come to Philly starts to move the momentum in the right direction.

If Bradford is history, as I suspect, they should spend $ to patch the O Line, resign adequate talent on D and hopefully sign a half-decent #2 WR. My concern is that they won't be able to attract a decent veteran WR without overpaying. I won't be surprised if Coop is back because no one else wants to come here.

If the team's record is no worse next year considering the coaching transition and tough schedule, and if the front office seems not dysfunctional, they will have stabilized the situation.

They can then build for the future and be perceived as an improving team, one that a FA could come to hoping to make the playoffs in the near future.

Of course if Bradford signs with the Eagles they will have stopped the bleeding and can move forward.

The Eagles used to be one of the more enviable organizations in the league. Now they are closer to one of the laughing-stocks. Laurie really needs to spend--invest--enough $ to make sure he stabilizes the perception of the team.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 23 2016, 10:53 PM) *

Can I get a witness??

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 24 2016, 09:18 PM) *
The Eagles used to be one of the more enviable organizations in the league. Now they are closer to one of the laughing-stocks. Laurie really needs to spend--invest--enough $ to make sure he stabilizes the perception of the team.

If that was the case then Schwartz would have signed elsewhere...

I think you rely too much on the citizen soldier sports reporters who float out silly theories and rumors as fact....The Eagles have some FO issues but they are widely perceived as a stable organization...we may not like what they do but Lurie is seen as a good owner......our problem was that too many FAs wanted to come here...think dream team....
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 24 2016, 09:18 PM) *
Of course if Bradford signs with the Eagles they will have stopped the bleeding and can move forward.

I think you may be misreading the Eagles' perception in the league. They were a perennial winner with Reid, and they seemed to be continuing that with Kelly's first two years. One down year doesn't equate to a hell hole. The FO perception is probably much more sensitive to us than to outsiders. They may have to overpay some due to the unknown of Pederson, but I don't think it will be a huge deterrent.

You seem a reasonable guy with a true passion for the team. Do you call the owner "Laurie" out of disdain, intentionally misspelling or, like me, have the years of beers just fogged certain brain cells? biggrin.gif If it's intentional, why? Just curious. I know my phone spell corrects to "Laurie" all the time. I don't mind spell check, but intentionally changing what I want to do is too much like being married. laugh.gif
Joegrane
Entirely brain fog : )

Actually mine is from a lead and cadmium problem that messed up much of my life. Did not discover it until well into 40's. Thankfully substantially improved now--bone density, kidney#s, mood, memory, personality, food sensitivities, endurance, etc. It is nasty stuff

QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 25 2016, 06:09 AM) *
You seem a reasonable guy with a true passion for the team. Do you call the owner "Laurie" out of disdain, intentionally misspelling or, like me, have the years of beers just fogged certain brain cells? biggrin.gif

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 25 2016, 05:27 PM) *
Entirely brain fog : )

Actually mine is from a lead and cadmium problem that messed up much of my life. Did not discover it until well into 40's. Thankfully substantially improved now--bone density, kidney#s, mood, memory, personality, food sensitivities, endurance, etc. It is nasty stuff

Very sorry to hear that, Joe. Glad it's improving though. God speed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.