Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Franchise Tags vs Transition Tag
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
CT Eagle mentioned the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag in a recent post. That got me digging for more details. This is for 2015. I don't know what if any changes have been made for 2016 but someone said the average price for top 5 QBs is up over $20mil from $18mil in 2015.

The exclusive franchise tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player's team has all negotiating rights to the player.

The non-exclusive franchise tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

The transition tag is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may receive from another team. The transition tag can only be used if the franchise tag is not used by a team in that year. Transition tags can be rescinded, but teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until next season.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000047...ise-tag-tracker
Also
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000047...who-gets-tagged

Another site says the team that looses the player who had the Transition Tag does not receive compensatory picks.
Zero
It sounds like the way to go if he doesn't sign a deal with the Eagles is the non-exclusive franchise tag. No one will likely surrender two first rounders for him, but if they want him they can negotiate a deal and if the Eagles don't match they can negotiate the compensation down from the two firsts. I'd like him to stay, but wouldn't cry if the Eagles got another first or at least recouped that lost second.
Joegrane
I agree with you and CT Eagle.

Ray Didinger doesn't seem to offer much hope that he is coming back.
http://www.csnphilly.com/video_content_typ...ag-sam-bradford

QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 20 2016, 08:21 PM) *
It sounds like the way to go if he doesn't sign a deal with the Eagles is the non-exclusive franchise tag. No one will likely surrender two first rounders for him, but if they want him they can negotiate a deal and if the Eagles don't match they can negotiate the compensation down from the two firsts. I'd like him to stay, but wouldn't cry if the Eagles got another first or at least recouped that lost second.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 20 2016, 08:24 PM) *
I agree with you and CT Eagle.

Ray Didinger doesn't seem to offer much hope that he is coming back.
http://www.csnphilly.com/video_content_typ...ag-sam-bradford
He didn't talk about the tag and trade idea though.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 20 2016, 08:21 PM) *

I wouldn't even offer him a long term deal at this point. I just hit him with the non-exclusive franchise tag, and IF there is a team out there crazy enough to give up two first round picks to me for him, then bye bye Sammie.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jan 22 2016, 07:36 AM) *
I wouldn't even offer him a long term deal at this point. I just hit him with the non-exclusive franchise tag, and IF there is a team out there crazy enough to give up two first round picks to me for him, then bye bye Sammie.

They will know the market better than we will.....those wanting to to tag him are operating under the assumption that there will be a big market for him and there might be.....but if there is not than the Eagles run the risk of either having to sign him for the big dollar tag number or cutting ties late and creating a horrible reputation for players thinking of coming here by having cut out any bargaining power Bradford might have..
Joegrane
But isn't that the point of using the non-exclusive franchise tag. Bradford, the other teams and Eagles will all be involved in discussions.

It is the exclusive franchise tag that likely is disliked most by FAs, no? The difference was the point of starting this discussion.

I assume the other team will not give up two #1 picks but rather just a 2016 2nd in some type of sign and trade agreement. It does not leave the Eagles holding an empty bag after Bradford leaves.

Of course he could decide he likes the Eagles' offer best. I'm not expecting it, just saying.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 22 2016, 09:52 AM) *
...or cutting ties late and creating a horrible reputation for players thinking of coming here by having cut out any bargaining power Bradford might have..
nephillymike
If you go here:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/base/quarterback/

You can do the top five and top ten calculations for both base salary and cap hits.

By my math, here are the calculations. The source I read seems to say they're based on salary, but that can't be the case if they're talking the numbers they are for the franchise #'s.

Salary only:

2016 Franchise = $18.4M
2016 Transition = $17.3M

Cap Amounts:

2016 Franchise = $26.1M
2016 Transition = $23.6M

I know I've heard that they expect these current 2016 amounts to change because of redone contracts of the top 10, but they still seem wacky.

Does anyone know if it is based on cap, or based on salary?

Transition gets no picks if we let him sign elsewhere. So that is not too useful.

I saw it suggested, but has anyone ever traded a franchised guy for less than two firsts? I didn't think that was allowed.

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 23 2016, 01:07 PM) *
I saw it suggested, but has anyone ever traded a franchised guy for less than two firsts? I didn't think that was allowed.

I think New England tagged Cassel and got a first when he went to .... KC?
Joegrane
I think the concept is that the team uses the non-exclusive franchise tag process to negotiate a sign and trade.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 23 2016, 01:07 PM) *

nephillymike
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/35dz4...anchise_tagged/

Right you are Z.

Yes, he may be traded after franchising as long as he signs the tender.

And yes, the other team may renegotiate a different deal.

The transistion tag does very little for us, as we get nothing back, other htan having the right to match.

If we non exclusive rights him as a franchise player and he gets an offer we don't match, then we get two first round picks (unlikely)

However, if we franchise him, we can then trade him to another team for less than two firsts. A possibility.

I wonder if a franchised player can refuse a trade?

Do you think he'd get us a 1st round pick, plus maybe a sweetener, say a 3rd?

Niners got a 2nd and a conditional 3rd, that sweetened to a 2nd, so they got two 2nd's for Smith.

Given that the Niners had a surplus of QB's with kaep, that probably weakened their posiiton. An Bradford could be considered about the same talent level and pedigree.

So maybe we get two 2nd's with a 5th or 6th round sweetener.

so what do you think?

Franchise him, put him on the block, and then decide if he gets us something worthwhile. Worst case scenario, we blow our cap for only one year for the shot, best case scenario he stays a year and does well, medium case, he gets us two 2nds and a 6th?

Anyone?

Haven't looked at the particulars of the cap for the one year, but gut says we can swing it.

That assumes you want him.

Or let him go, and put the dough in other places.
Joegrane
I think the Transition Tag means you'd only have to pay him the average of the Top 10 at his position, not the Top 5. In this case that would be a several $mil difference and closer to his real worth.

Their right to match means Bradford would not go where he want to play. Therefore It forces everyone involved to come up with an agreeable sign n trade.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 23 2016, 07:22 PM) *
The transistion tag does very little for us, as we get nothing back, other than having the right to match.

Niners got a 2nd and a conditional 3rd, that sweetened to a 2nd, so they got two 2nd's for Smith.

Given that the Niners had a surplus of QB's with kaep, that probably weakened their posiiton. An Bradford could be considered about the same talent level and pedigree.

So maybe we get two 2nd's with a 5th or 6th round sweetener.

so what do you think?

That seems to be a very good comparison, Thanks. A Smith might have been signed for a couple of years, increasing his value. I don't think he had the poor health history but his performance was probably not as good as Bradford's in the second half of last year. Even just getting one 2nd back would not be bad.

I wonder if they could pry a *2017* 1st round pick out of them. Maybe the two 1st rounders plus state of the Eagles, tough schedule, and some "Hinkie philosophy" could get them high enough to nab Deshaun Watson.

Haven't looked at the particulars of the cap for the one year, but gut says we can swing it.

They only have $16mil cap space, probably plus some carry-over from 2015. If you have to pay Bradford $21mil you'd probably have to part ways with Celek, Thornton, Thurmond,
Alonso, Coop, Maragos, maybe Curry. They'd probably have to renegotiate with Peters and D Ryans. It would be a blood bath. I went over the numbers as well as I could here.
http://www.wingheads.com/index.php?showtop...st&p=281501
Zero
I still think Houston is a possibility. They made the playoffs with a QB rotation of A, B, C and oops. Unlike AZ last year, they don't have an injured starter returning I don't think. They need someone who can hit the ground and win, not a rookie. They're picking 22 so there could be a shot at getting that pick.

All of this is assuming Pederson doesn't want Bradford.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.