Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Making a Murderer
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
A Netflix documentary.

Wild stuff about rape and murder trials in Wisconsin.

Highly recommend watching.

You won't regret it.

I'm done 8 of the 10 episodes.

No spoilers!!

Anyone watch it yet?
Reality Fan
After you finish with that fiction you can see what they left out here

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/making-a-mu...1/06/id/708361/

But it was good TV
Phits
Compelling TV for sure. I think they could have cut the documentary down to 4 episodes, there is a lot of repeat information.

Along the same lines is a series of HBO documentaries called "Paradise Lost" about the The West Memphis Three:
WM3

Netflix has a documentary called West of Memphis.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 10:24 PM) *

But it was good TV

Regardless of your opinions on the murder case, and I'm back and forth on a lot of it; you can't deny the corruption within that organization and the absolute travesty that was the rape case.

Assuming Avery did commit the murder, you have to wonder if his 18 years of wrongful incarceration led to that situation.

QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 20 2016, 08:52 AM) *
Compelling TV for sure. I think they could have cut the documentary down to 4 episodes, there is a lot of repeat information.

Along the same lines is a series of HBO documentaries called "Paradise Lost" about the The West Memphis Three:
WM3

Netflix has a documentary called West of Memphis.

I had to spend a week in West Memphis for work once. Easily the most backwards place I've ever been.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 11:24 PM) *

But it was good TV

I also watched the documentary. I'm not saying he did (or didn't do it), however, the corruption in our legal system is ridiculous. Either way, he didn't receive a fair trial and his nephew got shafted even worse.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 20 2016, 09:37 AM) *
his nephew got shafted even worse.

Yeah, this was hard to stomach.
Reality Fan
There is no question that the local LE did some shady things...things that were unnecessary to get their conviction but research the entire story and then speak about it......

Justice was served....they were just too zealous and and crossed lines that never should have been crossed...

What is disappointing is that the program knowingly left out knew facts to make their story...facts that directly contradict there entire documentary...

Think Mumia Abu-Jamal......
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 20 2016, 10:37 AM) *
the corruption in our legal system is ridiculous.

Yep, that goes without saying.

Either way, he didn't receive a fair trial and his nephew got shafted even worse.

Like RF alluded to earlier, the details omitted by the documentary paint a different picture. The nephew, who seems to have some sort of mental disability, gave a graphic detailed account of the crime from his point of involvement.

Transcript Links
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 20 2016, 10:22 AM) *
Regardless of your opinions on the murder case, and I'm back and forth on a lot of it; you can't deny the corruption within that organization and the absolute travesty that was the rape case.

Assuming Avery did commit the murder, you have to wonder if his 18 years of wrongful incarceration led to that situation.

I had to spend a week in West Memphis for work once. Easily the most backwards place I've ever been.

There is no assumption that he did it..he did it....the doc left out evidence that they knew existed....it makes them look just as bad as the police they sought to discredit by using the same tactics...

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 20 2016, 10:46 AM) *
There is no assumption that he did it..he did it....the doc left out evidence that they knew existed....it makes them look just as bad as the police they sought to discredit by using the same tactics...

That may be the case. I honestly haven't looked too much into the whole thing. Admittedly I only watched the first 3-4 episodes. With that said, there is no doubt that their handling of the rape case was corrupt.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 20 2016, 12:01 PM) *
That may be the case. I honestly haven't looked too much into the whole thing. Admittedly I only watched the first 3-4 episodes. With that said, there is no doubt that their handling of the rape case was corrupt.

The initial rape case was driven by the victim's account and she was sure he did it....that was a mistake...

I looked into it after hearing some folks rave about it and I considered watching it....before I did I wanted to have an idea what happened....the whole thing is a brutal story.....so many bad folks involved..
D Rock
Great T.V.

Shines a glaring light on the CJSystem. A sad american tale.

For one more on the feel good side... Check out the documentary on netflix "Muscle Shoals."
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 20 2016, 06:23 PM) *
Great T.V.

Shines a glaring light on the CJSystem. A sad american tale.

For one more on the feel good side... Check out the documentary on netflix "Muscle Shoals."

Anything to do with the Lynyrd Skynyrd Muscle Shoals?
Rick
I have researched the case. That article is nothing new. None of it is true EVIDENCE. I'm sure he's an asshole but being an asshole doesn't make you a murdered (or a rapist). Did he do it? I have no idea but, based on the evidence presented (not just the documentary), it's obvious there were shenanigans. At best, the trial should have been ruled a mistrial.

Remember, you're innocent until proven guilty. In this case, he was guilty and they had to try and prove his innocence. He didn't get a fair shake at a fair trial. That bothers me. If he had a fair trial, he may have been convicted, too but, at least it would have been fair.

As I said, what happened to his nephew was ridiculous and should be criminal.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 20 2016, 06:39 PM) *
Anything to do with the Lynyrd Skynyrd Muscle Shoals?

Oh god no...

It's about music. Something lynyrd skynyrd knows little about.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 20 2016, 09:57 PM) *
Oh god no...

They may not be the greatest "musicians" but they wrote a lot of songs that I like. Then again I like a lot of southern Rock. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, etc.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 20 2016, 09:57 PM) *
Oh god no...

I just watched Muscle Schoals and it was a great documentary. Aretha Franklin, Wiilson Pickett, The Allman Brothers, the Stones, Alicia Keys etc. I am amazed at the number of artists and variety of music that was recorded there. And yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd was in that group. The "Muscle Shoals and the Swampers" line in Sweet Home Alabama is a direct reference to the studio.

nephillymike
I just finished watching it last night.

A good watch for sure, but the withholding of facts is very disappointing, almost feel like I got cheated.

I thought it was interesting that when the jurors first took a tally of the votes, it was 7-3-2 to acquit. To swing the vote that much in such a short time must have been a real interesting situation in that room.

Jury dynamics are real interesting. I was on a jury once where I was sure it was a no brainer for the defense, and thought we'd be out of there in no time. We took a vote and it was 10-1 against me, and the guy next to me voted my way to make it 10-2 so we'd spend some time talking about it. It was an accident case involving SEPTA and so many people were ignoring the facts of this case and just remembering accidents that their loved ones got in. I was like, that has nothing to do with this case. We needed an 11-1 score to close the case so it went against me. However, in the damages part, we rewarded a paltry few thousand dollars instead of the 1/2 mill they were looking for, so it wasn't like the company got shafted much.

How about this for a theory. It makes some sense to me:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/1244/This-Is...-ve-Seen-So-Far

For those in the know of the show, poke holes in it please.
Rick
Knowing how difficult it is for people (in general) to keep a secret, I'm not so sure two entire police forces and the DA's office could keep a secret like this without SOMEONE talking. However, I still believe Avery didn't receive a fair trial--something we are all supposed to be afforded whether we are found guilty or not. And, as I've said, his nephew totally got shafted.

I think the defense may be correct about them saying maybe they--the police department--really believe he did it and were looking for reasons to convict. Not saying they set him up but too many events--many of which were recorded--certainly look like they made their minds up and weren't going to take anything into consideration, which may have called that decision into question.

I also read in interesting article offering an alternative theory that a notorious serial murderer could have committed the crime as he's set up other people for his crimes in the past. You can read it here. I'm not sure about this theory but it is interesting and I'd be interested in learning more about it.

I tend to believe Avery committed the murder but they screwed up the conviction and got away with it but I'm not opposed to a different scenario.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 23 2016, 08:23 AM) *
Knowing how difficult it is for people (in general) to keep a secret, I'm not so sure two entire police forces and the DA's office could keep a secret like this without SOMEONE talking. However, I still believe Avery didn't receive a fair trial--something we are all supposed to be afforded whether we are found guilty or not. And, as I've said, his nephew totally got shafted.

I think the defense may be correct about them saying maybe they--the police department--really believe he did it and were looking for reasons to convict. Not saying they set him up but too many events--many of which were recorded--certainly look like they made their minds up and weren't going to take anything into consideration, which may have called that decision into question.

I also read in interesting article offering an alternative theory that a notorious serial murderer could have committed the crime as he's set up other people for his crimes in the past. You can read it here. I'm not sure about this theory but it is interesting and I'd be interested in learning more about it.

I tend to believe Avery committed the murder but they screwed up the conviction and got away with it but I'm not opposed to a different scenario.

It just came out the other day that his girlfriend Jodi thinks he did it. Says he was a monster. I think if you read my link, there's a link in there to her story. I saw the theory about the serial killer. Interesting. Especially if they can confirm that was him in the picture in the hallway at the trial !!
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 23 2016, 08:46 AM) *
It just came out the other day that his girlfriend Jodi thinks he did it. Says he was a monster. I think if you read my link, there's a link in there to her story. I saw the theory about the serial killer. Interesting. Especially if they can confirm that was him in the picture in the hallway at the trial !!

I don't put much stock into what his girlfriend says. She's a bit of a nutcase herself.

I'd like to hear more evidence supporting this serial killer theory. The articles (read a couple now) I've read have compelling arguments but not much true evidence. I'm guessing that's in the book he's trying to sell...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.