Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underwhelmed by Pederson presser
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Doug came across as not ready. Maybe he just isn't smooth in front of groups, but he came across as an amateur. I'd rather he concentrate on being the manager of the team and allow his coordinators to run their units ... under his supervision and direction of course. He says he'll call the plays. I hope that changes and he allows his OC to do that. JMO
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 19 2016, 08:44 PM) *
Doug came across as not ready. Maybe he just isn't smooth in front of groups, but he came across as an amateur. I'd rather he concentrate on being the manager of the team and allow his coordinators to run their units ... under his supervision and direction of course. He says he'll call the plays. I hope that changes and he allows his OC to do that. JMO

That reaction surprises me...even Gunn and fat ass Frank loved his presser...

Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 09:05 PM) *
That reaction surprises me...even Gunn and fat ass Frank loved his presser...

Did you watch it? What'd you think?
nephillymike
Just watched the whole thing.

I have conflicting opinions:

1. I thought he was comfortable and presented well. Seems like a good guy.

2. I was made more comfortable with the search process after listening to Lurie talk about it. Seemed like they did their homework for what they wanted.

on the other hand

3. Pederson is calling the plays. I have no time for learning on the job. I was hoping he'd do a Tomlin and delegate that to his OC who has more experience at that.

4. Pederson called the 2nd half and that dreadful longest drive of the season in a hurry up. I have zero desire or patience for that bull shit time management from this team. After seeing Chip for the last three years and having the comfort of never having to worry about the time to score, Philly fans will have less tolerance than in the past for this totally inexcusable flaw.

lastly

5. I thought it was interesting that it seems that Howie's role and responsibilities are dependent upon who they get as personnel chief. I think that's the smart thing to do. Any chance that if the personnel guy has enough cache that Howie is forced to stay on the other side of the building, out of harms way of drafting Marcus Smith??

I'm bummed to see Shurmur go. I think with that, the hope of incorporating the things that were successful from Chip, and the tempo which this guy sorely needs, will leave with him.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 19 2016, 09:17 PM) *
I thought it was interesting that it seems that Howie's role and responsibilities are dependent upon who they get as personnel chief. I think that's the smart thing to do. Any chance that if the personnel guy has enough cache that Howie is forced to stay on the other side of the building, out of harms way of drafting Marcus Smith??

I'm bummed to see Shurmur go. I think with that, the hope of incorporating the things that were successful from Chip, and the tempo which this guy sorely needs, will leave with him.

Humbled Howie Roseman used last year to focus on people skills

Agree with Shurmur. Rams have asked permission to interview him for OC but apparently no response from Eagles yet. He appears to be second choice behind Reich. If Reich doesn't get/take the job, I'm guessing it's Pat.
bwc2112
I have to go with the optimism side, everybody needs a chance. We took that with Chip. Started as division leaders to almost bottom. I will give the new the benefit of the dought. Always remember we have one thing going for us, Jerry Jones don't own our team. cool.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 19 2016, 09:23 PM) *

Agree with Shurmur. Rams have asked permission to interview him for OC but apparently no response from Eagles yet. He appears to be second choice behind Reich. If Reich doesn't get/take the job, I'm guessing it's Pat.

Man, that's some humble pie eaten by Howie.

Well, a few truths have come out:

1. Marcus Smith was Howie's (for me, listening to Chip's ripping him, I thought that to be the case)

2. He was tough to get along with. I'm guessing the back stabbling territorial stories we've heard are true.

No matter how much Howie had worked on relationships that were important to him (ie apologize endlessly to Lurie), I can't have him with much say in personnel. How can you possibly talk about collaboration and have this back stabbing SOB involved? Who coming in from the outside would believe it? How many people will shy away knowing he can screw up so badly and get a raise and be back the next year? Methinks that most with a pair of balls will stay away. Why wouldn't they?

Also, remember how clueless Lurie was last year, only two years from saying he needed to be more involved after the Reid firing? He thought the question on Howie's future was ridiculous. Four days later, he's demoted (with a raise)

BTW, Howie can say what he wants about being an Eagle. His agent was actively shopping him to other teams. No takers. Imagine that. Seems to be our specialty.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 19 2016, 09:23 PM) *

these comments sound just like the touchy-feely nonsense Lurie was spouting when explaining why Chip had to go. they say the word 'relationship' more than a 20yr old girl.

here i think he is trying to establish a few things....

1)I will be the opposite of Chip
2) dont let me scare you away from the Eagles anymore NFL coaches/execs
3) if anyone does come here and leave saying they couldnt work with me...i wont be the problem

what isnt addressed here in his comments is the remaining issues that Roseman/Lurie cant pillow-talk their way out of:

this is the only GM job in the league for Howie. since he cant go anywhere and get THAT job, he will still be protective of his position with Lurie

coaches/execs with more football acumen and league respect will maintain the same opinion of Roseman and therefore threaten that position...so he will be careful about who comes into the organization

no matter the position, (personnel guy, coach, GM, etc...) any new hire will have to defer to Roseman on some level. this results in hires of guys who nobody else wants (pederson), guys who just got fired because they werent that good and werent likely to be hired elsewhere (schwartz, Reich) leaving the sought after and most respected people saying Thanks but no thanks (Coughlin, Gase, etc...)

perhaps they pull it off....i have been a tad indifferent toward the team ever since Chip was named, so i will keep waiting to see

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 19 2016, 09:15 PM) *
Did you watch it? What'd you think?

I did...did not read into it too much....typical presser....was too psyched over getting Schwartz onboard and heard little after that...lol

his post-presser interview was good as was Schwartz talking to reporters...
Zero
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Jan 19 2016, 09:35 PM) *
I have to go with the optimism side, everybody needs a chance. We took that with Chip. Started as division leaders to almost bottom. I will give the new the benefit of the dought. Always remember we have one thing going for us, Jerry Jones don't own our team. cool.gif
Neither does Danny Snyder. I'm not saying anything except that I wasn't inspired by him. I actually hope/think he can turn out to be a good coach but I think he needs to get a good OC and let him run the offense.
Birdman420
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 19 2016, 10:39 PM) *
Man, that's some humble pie eaten by Howie.

Well, a few truths have come out:

1. Marcus Smith was Howie's (for me, listening to Chip's ripping him, I thought that to be the case)

2. He was tough to get along with. I'm guessing the back stabbling territorial stories we've heard are true.

No matter how much Howie had worked on relationships that were important to him (ie apologize endlessly to Lurie), I can't have him with much say in personnel. How can you possibly talk about collaboration and have this back stabbing SOB involved? Who coming in from the outside would believe it? How many people will shy away knowing he can screw up so badly and get a raise and be back the next year? Methinks that most with a pair of balls will stay away. Why wouldn't they?

Also, remember how clueless Lurie was last year, only two years from saying he needed to be more involved after the Reid firing? He thought the question on Howie's future was ridiculous. Four days later, he's demoted (with a raise)

BTW, Howie can say what he wants about being an Eagle. His agent was actively shopping him to other teams. No takers. Imagine that. Seems to be our specialty.

I'm unmoved by his revelations. It's too little too late for howie and I think lurie put him back in his place because he knows what a queen howie is. If he wants to keep a job with the eagles he has been warned.

I still don't understand why we are letting someone who shouldn't matter cause all of these problems. Something does not feel right about this and for whatever reason I think the low is going to continue until a complete front office rebuild is done.
Pila
This entire year is outright weird, to an incredible degree. This whole "emotional intelligence" shit is coming off like a highschool adolescent chick on suicide watch after she was stiffed for prom queen.

I get it, we're human and a highly social species. I'm on board with individuals who value humanity as a virtue, that appreciates character and connects at the personal level. These are admirable, virtuous traits.

But holy shit, does everyone now hired by or is on the staff have to become women as a qualifier and express how much they love each other on a daily basis?

I'm hopeful this can workout, but shit if this doesn't come off with Lurie a delusional flower child looking to right the world of impersonal demons. He needs a hug in the worst way.

Having said all that, my number one priority so I don't pass out from this embarrassment is if they keep Bradford. To me, he's key.
The Franchise
I thought he did fine. After 14 years of dull crap, followed by 3 years of rapid-fire arrogance, it's pleasant to see a normal, relatively confident man actually answering questions in a normal manner.

Personally, I think Lurie and Co. knew they wanted him a long time ago. Just a hunch, I have no evidence for that, but the longer Lurie droned on about how meticulous their vetting process was, the more I didn't believe it. Especially considering January events.

He'll get a fair chance from me as did Chip, while I didn't like that bullshit explanation for the Chiefs' 5 minute drill, it's possible he's also trying to not throw Andy under the bus. If he turns out able to manage the fucking clock, and call a good game, I'll be smitten.

Rick
QUOTE (Pila @ Jan 20 2016, 01:21 PM) *
This entire year is outright weird, to an incredible degree. This whole "emotional intelligence" shit is coming off like a highschool adolescent chick on suicide watch after she was stiffed for prom queen.

I get it, we're human and a highly social species. I'm on board with individuals who value humanity as a virtue, that appreciates character and connects at the personal level. These are admirable, virtuous traits.

But holy shit, does everyone now hired by or is on the staff have to become women as a qualifier and express how much they love each other on a daily basis?

I'm hopeful this can workout, but shit if this doesn't come off with Lurie a delusional flower child looking to right the world of impersonal demons. He needs a hug in the worst way.

Having said all that, my number one priority so I don't pass out from this embarrassment is if they keep Bradford. To me, he's key.

Well-said. I find it funny people here are picking apart his press conference. I couldn't care less about how he conducts himself at a press conference. I ONLY care about how he handles the team.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.