Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It just does not stop....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
First the articles poored in that the Eagles were taking too long and they lied about the reason for firing Kelly early (something I agree with)....now the talking heads complain they made a decision too quickly.....whether they got the choice right or not is another question but WTF?

Now the rumors start on coordinators and it is inevitable that there will be all the rumors of who they want and once they are hired all the rumors about who they want will turn to who "turned them down" to defend all those reported rumors...

I can't wait til this shit is over...
The Franchise
This is what happens when a silver-spoon born trust fund baby runs a company more often than not.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 18 2016, 04:30 PM) *
This is what happens when a silver-spoon born trust fund baby runs a company more often than not.

While you may be bitter about life's lottery I am not...

This has nothing to do with Lurie and everything to do with a media desperate to report something rather than report nothing when there is nothing to accurately report...

How you derived that is has anything to do with Lurie and his upbringing is mindboggling..
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2016, 05:54 PM) *
While you may be bitter about life's lottery I am not...

This has nothing to do with Lurie and everything to do with a media desperate to report something rather than report nothing when there is nothing to accurately report...

How you derived that is has anything to do with Lurie and his upbringing is mindboggling..

I'm not bitter about life's lottery, but I know how to run a company - and unlike Lurie, if I fuck up, I actually pay for it financially. I agree that the media is desperate to create stories - that's because nobody knows what the hell is going on with the Eagles, and we just saw a firing/hiring process that gives me a lack of confidence to say the least, oh and Howie is back. I don't know how you can give Lurie a pass on any of this - he's the guy in charge.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 18 2016, 05:15 PM) *
I'm not bitter about life's lottery, but I know how to run a company - and unlike Lurie, if I fuck up, I actually pay for it financially. I agree that the media is desperate to create stories - that's because nobody knows what the hell is going on with the Eagles, and we just saw a firing/hiring process that gives me a lack of confidence to say the least, oh and Howie is back. I don't know how you can give Lurie a pass on any of this - he's the guy in charge.

Your "silver spoon trust fund baby" comment kind of says otherwise....

I don't give him a pass on anything....he owns it and if it fails it is on him......but I will wait for the result before calling it a failure....I understood firing Kelly and I also recognize it was more an act of anger than of wanting an extra week to start the search. Regardless, it was what needed to be done as all that has come out since has demonstrated. A sfar as the search goes? I don't know who or what they really wanted and neither does anyone else.....there is a ton of supposition, some educated, most purely speculation. If he was really their 4th choice they could have waited but they did not.....they could have interviewed plenty more candidates but they didn't so that tells me he was in the running from the start. Just because we did not love Pederson that does not mean that they did not and that is all that matters.

As for Howie...if they go into next year without a personnel guy than I will be pissed but several sources have already reported they are looking for a personnel guy......personally I would get rid of Howie right now but he is on a short leash as well.....if he wasn't he would never have lost his power to Chip in the first place. You may think Lurie is a spoiled brat but he is extremely bright.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2016, 06:26 PM) *
Your "silver spoon trust fund baby" comment kind of says otherwise....

It's what he is. That isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Having your family borrow enough money so you can buy and run one of the sports world's more popular franchises - what would you call that?

This organization has proven to have serious operational flaws over the years, most notably recently with the Howie Roseman/Chip Kelly power struggle, and now this. Since he was coronated here, and never has had to work for anything in his life, I can safely say that from an outsider's point of view, he doesn't know what he's doing. Of course I could be wrong, but we don't really know anything that's going on or has gone on, because of the Eagles' relationship with their fan base (another sign of someone who doesn't know what he's doing).

The best thing I can say about Lurie is that he isn't Jerry Jones or Jed York.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 18 2016, 06:48 PM) *
It's what he is. That isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Having your family borrow enough money so you can buy and run one of the sports world's more popular franchises - what would you call that?

This organization has proven to have serious operational flaws over the years, most notably recently with the Howie Roseman/Chip Kelly power struggle, and now this. Since he was coronated here, and never has had to work for anything in his life, I can safely say that from an outsider's point of view, he doesn't know what he's doing. Of course I could be wrong, but we don't really know anything that's going on or has gone on, because of the Eagles' relationship with their fan base (another sign of someone who doesn't know what he's doing).

The best thing I can say about Lurie is that he isn't Jerry Jones or Jed York.

Like I said...you are bitter about life's lottery and you just restated it again...he has not worked for anything?

Lets look at it another way....If you are correct, which you are not, he directed his mother to make an investment of $185 million dollars that is now worth 1.75 billion...and increase of 772% in 20 years.....that alone is brilliant

But Lurie borrowed his money from the Bank of Boston with his mother and he used his stock in General Cinema to back those loans....granted he was born into the General Cinema family but that is life.....but the guy got his BA, MA and PhD so it is not like he sat on his thumb....and after 20 years I think he has a decent idea exactly what he is doing....we may not agree with it...that is fair...but he certainly has more of a clue than you or I.....he knows the things we don't. As I said...he may be wrong or make mistakes but for you to say he has no idea what he is doing at this point is silly.

The Franchise
he has not worked for anything?

No. Obviously.

he directed his mother to make an investment of $185 million dollars that is now worth 1.75 billion...and increase of 772% in 20 years.....that alone is brilliant

laugh.gif

"He directed his mother....." Yes, he sounds quite the self-made guy.

Anyways, I knew you were going to throw that yawner at me. Those numbers indicate about a 12% rate of return per year - that sounds less impressive, no? Brilliant, you say? A decent minor league sports franchise in the right hands will get you 5-10% per year. If anything, his financial success here only shows what complete idiots some owners are. You don't get a cookie for turning 12% on one of the most popular sports franchises in the country. He's done well, as any retard with $195 million to blow would.
rumply
well said RF
nephillymike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Lurie

Back in the day, his Mom was a big wig at one of my audit clients, Harcourt Brace and Jovanovich, which was a publishing conglomerate (Harcourt general). We audited one of their insurance companies that they owned which was located in Orlando, right across the street from Sea World. We used to work 14 hours a day and would hear the seals barking across the street at Sea World as we left at night. I don't remember if she was the President, Chairperson or head of the BOD, but she was a big wig. It was probably around 1989 ish. I had forgotten that they were General Cinema. I did know they had publishing as we did some work for them in NY on the publishing end, but I wasn't involved. When Lurie bought the Eagles, I remembered his Mom and knew that he was loaded, but I always thought the Publishing end was the first business they specialized in.

Long time ago.

As far as Jeff's business acumen, I just think that he made a great choice in convincing Mom to invest in the NFL. What other businesses exist that are idiot proof? Not saying Jeff is an idiot, because obviously he's not, but it's nice when they make it virtually impossible to lose money. Very few industries exist that provide that type of opportunity I would guess.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 18 2016, 08:28 PM) *
No. Obviously.

laugh.gif

Anyways, I knew you were going to throw that yawner at me. Those numbers indicate about a 12% rate of return per year - that sounds less impressive, no? Brilliant, you say? A decent minor league sports franchise in the right hands will get you 5-10% per year. If anything, his financial success here only shows what complete idiots some owners are. You don't get a cookie for turning 12% on one of the most popular sports franchises in the country. He's done well, as any retard with $195 million to blow would.

It is actually 2.4 billion as valued by Forbes this year , I got that wrong so it is 13%........and yes, his mother was a partner(key word is partner) Lurie put up a good portion of the collateral for the loans himself......sorry your mom was not rich...but guess what...that isn't Lurie's fault...get over it...and if it was so foolproof at the time there would have been a long line of investors to bid up that number...surely you, a self proclaimed business genius, knows that. I mean that is econ 101, right?

And no one said he was self-made......you said he never worked for anything...you know nothing about him or what he has or hasn't done...you are simply bitter that you are not in his shoes..... I also know nothing about his personal life or upbringing and I don't begrudge him a dime...he does a ton of community work and philanthropy.....all reports are that he is a good guy but to guys like you he will never get a break because you will always be bitter that he was born into money and you were not.....if he had a history of being a drug addled teen or young adult I would get some of your angst but he wasn't.....he was busy getting 3 degrees.....

I never get guys like you...rather than enjoy life you need to denigrate those born to money and stereotype them all as lazy, lucky and stupid to make you feel better about yourself......sad...truly sad
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 18 2016, 08:28 PM) *
No. Obviously.

laugh.gif

Lurie may not have won a SB but he has done remarkable things for an organization that had been held by some shady and/or shaky ownership. They now have a state of the art training/medical facility, their own stadium, and they are very involved in community projects around the city...no other owner in our history brought those things to the franchise. That is a lot more than than you give him credit for, he hasn't learned how to win it all, but he gave the franchise a stability and value it lacked before he arrived.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Jan 19 2016, 12:31 AM) *
Lurie may not have won a SB but he has done remarkable things for an organization that had been held by some shady and/or shaky ownership. They now have a state of the art training/medical facility, their own stadium, and they are very involved in community projects around the city...no other owner in our history brought those things to the franchise. That is a lot more than than you give him credit for, he hasn't learned how to win it all, but he gave the franchise a stability and value it lacked before he arrived.

I would venture the guess that there's not one person on this board who, if he were the owner would bring a Lombardi to Philadelphia. It's not that I'm defending him, but it's much easier to criticize someone else's decisions than it is to make the right decisions yourself. So much of getting to and winning the SB is luck. Lurie did what he needed to do with Reid's teams. It wasn't him that kept the case empty.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 18 2016, 09:10 PM) *
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Lurie

Back in the day, his Mom was a big wig at one of my audit clients, Harcourt Brace and Jovanovich, which was a publishing conglomerate (Harcourt general). We audited one of their insurance companies that they owned which was located in Orlando, right across the street from Sea World. We used to work 14 hours a day and would hear the seals barking across the street at Sea World as we left at night. I don't remember if she was the President, Chairperson or head of the BOD, but she was a big wig. It was probably around 1989 ish. I had forgotten that they were General Cinema. I did know they had publishing as we did some work for them in NY on the publishing end, but I wasn't involved. When Lurie bought the Eagles, I remembered his Mom and knew that he was loaded, but I always thought the Publishing end was the first business they specialized in.

Long time ago.

As far as Jeff's business acumen, I just think that he made a great choice in convincing Mom to invest in the NFL. What other businesses exist that are idiot proof? Not saying Jeff is an idiot, because obviously he's not, but it's nice when they make it virtually impossible to lose money. Very few industries exist that provide that type of opportunity I would guess.

In retrospect it is easy to say.....but if it was such a sure fire investment at the time do you truly believe that there would have not been a long line of buyers to compete for it? Who knew that the NFL would explode and the the TV contracts would be so ridiculous? We know that now but at the time few could predict the explosion of the game. Fantasy Football was still in the shadows...it would be 3 years before it began to gain some traction and another 10 before it became a standard. Also, Lurie has grown the brand....there are other major market teams that are valued at much less.......and he has grown it in the shadow of multiple teams located close to him....as Braman proved, it is hardly idiot proof....and Lurie has made errors in judgement but overall he has been a very good owner....

Now the focus is on convincing his mother to partner with him.....but if it wasn't her it would have been his uncle, another industry titan......but how is that any different than plenty of other major business investments? While I am hardly wealthy I have several friends who are extremely well to do......one of them routinely gets involved with his friends to front major capital for each others businesses when needed...it is cheaper and safer for them than getting banks involved.
D Rock
lurie is more "self made" than that dick bag Trump (who I'm betting dollars to donuts is "franchise's" horse in the upcoming race.

Donald's family gave him 1 million to start off with. If he had put it in a conservative mutual fund, he'd be 10 times more wealthy that he is following his own "brilliance" (18 bankruptcy's and counting...)

On the other hand, Lurie turned dog shit into gold.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 19 2016, 12:00 PM) *
lurie is more "self made" than that dick bag Trump (who I'm betting dollars to donuts is "franchise's" horse in the upcoming race.

Donald's family gave him 1 million to start off with. If he had put it in a conservative mutual fund, he'd be 10 times more wealthy that he is following his own "brilliance" (18 bankruptcy's and counting...)

On the other hand, Lurie turned dog shit into gold.

Now, now...lol While I don't particularly want him as president he would be a better answer than the evil one on the other side......

That being said, read a few unbiased histories on Trump and you will be surprised.....he certainly had a great start and his inheritance from his father helped immensely, he also was able to recover from his high risk move to buy the Taj and then double down by building its sister.......that was his downfall but he negotiated his way out of it to rebuild...a bit of an accomplishment considering he negotiated his way out with 70 creditors....and long after dad was dead....

He is a showman...not a politician.....I like that he is not a pol but I am not sure that he really wants to be the pres. but is in it for the show...that scares me...
D Rock
Anybody who takes him seriously is a card carrying idiot. Both as a business man, (where he is clearly an abject failure - 18 bankruptcies pretty much tells that tale) and a human being.

The only thing he's accomplished is shining a bright and indelible light on just how far gone the GOP is. A serious fucking joke.

He's the best they have to offer?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 19 2016, 01:31 PM) *
Anybody who takes him seriously is a card carrying idiot. Both as a business man, (where he is clearly an abject failure - 18 bankruptcies pretty much tells that tale) and a human being.

The only thing he's accomplished is shining a bright and indelible light on just how far gone the GOP is. A serious fucking joke.

He's the best they have to offer?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Hold the phone......he is pompous and arrogant......but from the jaws of bankruptcy....$5 billion in debt, by the way....he has recovered to garner a net worth of anywhere from 2.4-4 billion dollars so he is apparently a fairly good business man...and anyone who thinks otherwise is a simply uneducated in the matters of finance. We may not agree with the rules but he certainly knows how to play unless you want to credit that turn around to the ghost of his father?

His bankruptcies come because he has always been a risk taker and because he built up his fortune and rebuilt it(see that word?) using leverage to increase his investment portfolio.

Now please inform me where the 18 bankruptcies are listed or was that something you got from your daily trek to Salon.com?

He has used Bankruptcy court 4 times to restructure debt....not uncommon, by the way.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/31/news/compa...ump-bankruptcy/
or for a more detailed accounting of his legal affairs....all dealt with in the abscence of his departed dad...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

There are plenty more of those pesky fact filled articles....

And while I agree the GOP really needs to shed guys like Ted Cruz and that this appears to be an episode of The Apprentice for Trump....singling out the GOP when the other side with Mata Hari and Bernie Sanders (now there is a bright business man) is about as ridiculous as it can get..

I will stop because this is a football forum....and you are apparently discussing a Trump you learned about from Rachel Maddow...maybe she had 18 bankruptcies...lol
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 18 2016, 10:13 PM) *
I never get guys like you...rather than enjoy life you need to denigrate those born to money and stereotype them all as lazy, lucky and stupid to make you feel better about yourself......sad...truly sad

All I said was that he was a silver-spoon trust fund baby. He is. That is indisputable. I said that to point out why he is inept at running a large organization, which he is. That's arguable, but my opinion is backed up by the woes and infighting and power struggles. I'm enjoying my life, try enjoying yours and stop wasting energy defending him.

This is literally all I'm saying. He's gotten a 13% return on one of the most popular sports franchises in the country, during a time period that saw the NFL's popularity skyrocket. Does he get a cookie? No. Was it wise to convince mommy to buy a sports franchise? Yes. Good god.

The Franchise
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 19 2016, 12:00 PM) *

laugh.gif

Seriously, it's going to be so much fun watching you people commit mass suicide after he's elected. The good news is, leftist morons will get a free economics lesson when you see Trump wipe the floor with Bernie Sandanista-ers during the debates.
Eyrie
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 19 2016, 07:09 PM) *
All I said was that he was a silver-spoon trust fund baby. He is. That is indisputable. I said that to point out why he is inept at running a large organization, which he is. That's arguable, but my opinion is backed up by the woes and infighting and power struggles. I'm enjoying my life, try enjoying yours and stop wasting energy defending him.

So how long should it take someone to work out how to run a large organisation? Clearly twenty years isn't long enough.

Sure, Lurie has made mistakes along the way and will continue to do so, but so does everyone because no-one is perfect. For example, Belichick will make mistakes as a coach this season and next yet most people would concede he is the premier coach of this generation.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 19 2016, 02:12 PM) *
laugh.gif

Seriously, it's going to be so much fun watching you people commit mass suicide after he's elected. The good news is, leftist morons will get a free economics lesson when you see Trump wipe the floor with Bernie Sandanista-ers during the debates.

Now that I agree with....

Regardless of any feelings regarding Trump...seeing who the Dems are trotting out and thinking that either have a clue is the definition of idiocy....Sanders is a caricature and Clinton is the evil heir....(and I liked Bill...she is not Bill)

nd9kel
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 19 2016, 01:12 PM) *
laugh.gif

Hmmm...we may have more in common than I thought.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 10:17 AM) *
In retrospect it is easy to say.....but if it was such a sure fire investment at the time do you truly believe that there would have not been a long line of buyers to compete for it? Who knew that the NFL would explode and the the TV contracts would be so ridiculous? We know that now but at the time few could predict the explosion of the game. Fantasy Football was still in the shadows...it would be 3 years before it began to gain some traction and another 10 before it became a standard. Also, Lurie has grown the brand....there are other major market teams that are valued at much less.......and he has grown it in the shadow of multiple teams located close to him....as Braman proved, it is hardly idiot proof....and Lurie has made errors in judgement but overall he has been a very good owner....

Now the focus is on convincing his mother to partner with him.....but if it wasn't her it would have been his uncle, another industry titan......but how is that any different than plenty of other major business investments? While I am hardly wealthy I have several friends who are extremely well to do......one of them routinely gets involved with his friends to front major capital for each others businesses when needed...it is cheaper and safer for them than getting banks involved.

I would guess that the growth patterns for a football team(or any team in this city) in this city were pretty good from an ROI perspective. From Wolman, to Tose, to Braman to Lurie, I'm pretty sure they were pretty damn good. Like giving candy to kids, that's what sports teams are to this city, coke to an addict.

Lurie bought the team in May of 1994, the salary cap started that "cap year", two months earlier. The idiot proof protection was sealed before his purchase of the team. It's a monopoly permitted to operate by the government. Not a bad place to be. Not many sleepless nights in that business.

Not saying he is an idiot, because he obviously is not (and he's a nice guy BTW). But I don't think you can show as exhibit A the increase in FMV of an NFL franchise as proof of business acumen. Take away the permitted monopoly or the collusive salary cap and franchises would fail, and competition would increase just like any other business in the country. In that environment, success would be a testament to business success.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 19 2016, 08:56 PM) *
I would guess that the growth patterns for a football team(or any team in this city) in this city were pretty good from an ROI perspective. From Wolman, to Tose, to Braman to Lurie, I'm pretty sure they were pretty damn good. Like giving candy to kids, that's what sports teams are to this city, coke to an addict.

Lurie bought the team in May of 1994, the salary cap started that "cap year", two months earlier. The idiot proof protection was sealed before his purchase of the team. It's a monopoly permitted to operate by the government. Not a bad place to be. Not many sleepless nights in that business.

Not saying he is an idiot, because he obviously is not (and he's a nice guy BTW). But I don't think you can show as exhibit A the increase in FMV of an NFL franchise as proof of business acumen. Take away the permitted monopoly or the collusive salary cap and franchises would fail, and competition would increase just like any other business in the country. In that environment, success would be a testament to business success.

You mean like baseball?....yep...the Philies are worth a pittance...lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 09:04 PM) *
You mean like baseball?....yep...the Philies are worth a pittance...lol

my (or any other team in this city), was a catch all that should cover the Phils FMV.

No?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 19 2016, 09:20 PM) *
my (or any other team in this city), was a catch all that should cover the Phils FMV.

No?

it was sarcasm....there is no real salary cap in baseball and a huge variance in payrolls......and yet the Phillies are worth a fortune..1.2 billion...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 10:33 PM) *
it was sarcasm....there is no real salary cap in baseball and a huge variance in payrolls......and yet the Phillies are worth a fortune..1.2 billion...

Oh I got you.

Well, the Phila sports team provision overcomes all incompetence in the front office.

Combine that and the NFL structure, and you really have to be an idiot with a nasty drug habit to lose money.

BTW, is there any outstanding concussion lawsuits or was that settled with the players.

After watching that movie, real world business folks would be in serious shit.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 19 2016, 10:43 PM) *
Oh I got you.

Well, the Phila sports team provision overcomes all incompetence in the front office.

Combine that and the NFL structure, and you really have to be an idiot with a nasty drug habit to lose money.

BTW, is there any outstanding concussion lawsuits or was that settled with the players.

After watching that movie, real world business folks would be in serious shit.

but real world business people don't own a day of the week...lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2016, 10:58 PM) *
but real world business people don't own a day of the week...lol

True.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.