Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little gas on the fire
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
bwc2112
Andy's Chiefs advance. While we figure out how to fix this.
I bought into the Chip Kelly thing just to get smashed in the face like all.
Not seeing green out there makes me ill. rock_band.gif ac6.gif
mcnabbulous
Andy is a great coach. We both needed a fresh start, but the lack of appreciation for the guy is a black mark on this fanbase.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 08:16 PM) *
Andy is a great coach. We both needed a fresh start, but the lack of appreciation for the guy is a black mark on this fanbase.

you keep saying there is a 'lack of appreciation'. That's not the case at all. Most fans genuinely appreciate what he did while he was here. Those same fans can admit that his time was up. That some fans didn't appreciate him is to be expected. It happens everywhere.
bwc2112

Where does lack of appreciation come in? I did not toss either under the bus.I loved Buddy Ryan. I did the trim work and cabinets down here at Reggie Whites house in N.C. .
A decision was made that was bad, I hope we and the higher ups learn from it.

A fuck up is not a true Fuck up, it is a learning tool.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 9 2016, 07:36 PM) *
you keep saying there is a 'lack of appreciation'. That's not the case at all. Most fans genuinely appreciate what he did while he was here. Those same fans can admit that his time was up. That some fans didn't appreciate him is to be expected. It happens everywhere.

If we ran a poll, I suspect it would be less than favorable about Andy.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 08:59 PM) *
If we ran a poll, I suspect it would be less than favorable about Andy.

I would wager a friendly bet on it.....
bwc2112
Best Eagles coach?
If the name Richie comes up, i would duck
Joegrane
I agree with you entirely.

I bet he needed a chance in scenery for his own sanity.

D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 10 2016, 02:16 AM) *

I've seen no "lack of appreciation." I saw some well deserved disgust at the 4 win season, bad coaching hires, personnel moves, clock management, and refusal to run a balanced attack.

As you say, it was time for both parties to move on. But there was never any hate for the guy we all saw as a good man. His run in philly was the best era of our lives, for those of us too "young" to have witnessed the Dutchman.

McNabb on the other hand....

tongue.gif
SAM I Am

I think plenty of people appreciated what Andy Reid did here. I'm not talking about message boards when I say that, I am talking about the fanbase in the Philadelphia area. And the ones who didn't appreciate what Andy did for this organization, simply don't have a clue.
mcnabbulous
I don't know where you guys get most of your Eagles info, but there is a general lack of appreciation amongst Eagles fans on Twitter about the guy. Frankly, around here it's mostly the same.
Reality Fan
There are certainly some on here that never appreciated Reid or McNabb....it is what it is but there are those few that had the standard "Reid doesn't know anything" and "Mcnabb is the worst QB" and were very vocal about it...

It was not the majority but it was more than 3 or 4
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 10 2016, 02:33 PM) *
I don't know where you guys get most of your Eagles info, but there is a general lack of appreciation amongst Eagles fans on Twitter about the guy. Frankly, around here it's mostly the same.

Identifying Reid's shortcomings doesn't mean there is a lack of appreciation for what he has done.
The Franchise

He isn't 'great.' He's good, and it became clear he was incapable of taking the next step in getting a ring. KC is now going through the same process.

As for the thread title, I don't see how this is 'gas on the fire.' The King of the Regular Season should be expected to collect a playoff win or two before getting bounced out by a superior team and coach. Let's see him go into Foxboro in January and take one.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 10 2016, 01:57 PM) *
He isn't 'great.' He's good, and it became clear he was incapable of taking the next step in getting a ring. KC is now going through the same process.

As for the thread title, I don't see how this is 'gas on the fire.' The King of the Regular Season should be expected to collect a playoff win or two before getting bounced out by a superior team and coach. Let's see him go into Foxboro in January and take one.

And if he did that, you would make up some bullshit excuse as to why it happened.

Can't beat good coaches/teams. Beat both NE and Sea last year.

Can't win without JJ. Wins playoff game in blowout fashion.

Can't win without McNabb. Only current coach to win playoff games with three different QBs.

But I will admit, I'm probably overstating the lack of appreciation on this board, because I'm counting each of HouseOPain's usernames as individual opinions, when we all know it's the same mouth breathing idiot.
The Franchise
And if he did that, you would make up some bullshit excuse as to why it happened.

He won't.

Can't beat good coaches/teams. Beat both NE and Sea last year.

Cool story. His offensive wizardry is so amazing, he managed to get the other team to throw 4 picks and give up a special teams touchdown yesterday. The Texans suck.

But I will admit, I'm probably overstating the lack of appreciation on this board, because I'm counting each of HouseOPain's usernames as individual opinions, when we all know it's the same mouth breathing idiot.

laugh.gif
How did your romp with Chip Kelly in the sauna go the other night - is there any Thousand Island dressing left?

mcnabbulous
And I'm sure if he doesn't, it will be because the genius Bill Belichick outcoached him, and not because the team with Tom Brady beat the team with Alex Smith.

Like I said, excuses if he wins, his fault if they lose. Your schtick never changes, regardless of username.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 10 2016, 04:54 PM) *
And I'm sure if he doesn't, it will be because the genius Bill Belichick outcoached him, and not because the team with Tom Brady beat the team with Alex Smith.

I honestly don't give a shit about Andy Reid - he'll lose next week, and if he manages to steal a win, he'll lose the following week. Whatever. His flaws will be his downfall, as they are every year. It's just amusing to me that you brag about him beating the Texans, knowing full well that I'm going to rub it in your face when he inevitably loses. Why do you do this to yourself? laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 10 2016, 04:05 PM) *
I honestly don't give a shit about Andy Reid - he'll lose next week, and if he manages to steal a win, he'll lose the following week. Whatever. His flaws will be his downfall, as they are every year. It's just amusing to me that you brag about him beating the Texans, knowing full well that I'm going to rub it in your face when he inevitably loses. Why do you do this to yourself? laugh.gif

I think the real reason is why you can't give Reid credit for waht he has accomplished so far this year in the midst of injuries to key players on both sides of the ball.

Your critique of him makes you look foolish. Winning it all is often the confluence of many factors....health, matchup and most importantly luck....

Reid had several chances where lady luck and injuries robbed him.....it happens to many coaches....there was 1 year where he blew it....2002.....his "flaw" the other years was his inability to overcome injuries to his best players....Westbrook, McNabb et al
mcnabbulous
2002 was our best team, but Donovan was quite clearly not 100% in those playoffs. He was closer to 75%
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 10 2016, 05:18 PM) *
2002 was our best team, but Donovan was quite clearly not 100% in those playoffs. He was closer to 75%

Was that the broken ankle or the rib?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 10 2016, 06:23 PM) *
Was that the broken ankle or the rib?

Broken ankle. The rib was 2003. Both unfortunate injuries and perfect examples of the luck needed for everything to fall into place.
samaroo
I like Big Red, and did when he was here, too. He was an absolutely fantastic coach 6/7ths of the time. A lot of his sideline decisions gave me heartburn, but his overall time here was great. I wish him the best, unless he's playing us.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 10 2016, 05:18 PM) *

2002 was without a doubt our best team, and path to the Championship. You need it all to fall in place and it just did not.
Joegrane
Maybe that's true or maybe Belicheat.

QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Jan 10 2016, 08:14 PM) *
2002 was without a doubt our best team, and path to the Championship. You need it all to fall in place and it just did not.

TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 10 2016, 08:24 PM) *
Maybe that's true or maybe Belicheat.

I am talking about the year we lost to the Bucs.
Phits
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Jan 10 2016, 10:35 PM) *
I am talking about the year we lost to the Bucs.

Whether that was the best Eagles team AR coached is relative. For me the TB loss hurt even more than the SB loss did. I really believed we were going to stomp the sh*t out of the Bucs and steam roll over OAK for a SB win.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 10 2016, 04:59 PM) *
I think the real reason is why you can't give Reid credit for waht he has accomplished so far this year in the midst of injuries to key players on both sides of the ball.

Your critique of him makes you look foolish. Winning it all is often the confluence of many factors....health, matchup and most importantly luck....

Reid had several chances where lady luck and injuries robbed him.....it happens to many coaches....there was 1 year where he blew it....2002.....his "flaw" the other years was his inability to overcome injuries to his best players....Westbrook, McNabb et al

I do give him credit for what he's done as a coach. But I'm allowed to criticize him for his flaws being the reason why we went that whole time without getting a ring. And sue me if I don't want him to win one somewhere else.

I thought our best team was '04, as we actually has a superstar offensive weapon for #5 to throw to. We also had our easiest playoff run that year by far. Whatever.
Phits
Im with you.
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 11 2016, 01:15 PM) *
I do give him credit for what he's done as a coach. But I'm allowed to criticize him for his flaws being the reason why we went that whole time without getting a ring. And sue me if I don't want him to win one somewhere else.

CT_Eagle
Andy's resume speaks for itself. He is a good coach that consistently had the Eagles in pre-season Super Bowl talks over an extended period of times. He is also the coach that never really learned and adjusted from the mistakes he had made. The TB and Car NFCCG was crushers and Andy takes some of the blame for those underwhelming performances. He may eventually get back to the Super Bowl but if I had to bet any money on it I would bet against it. Until then, his resume is missing something that would lead me to label him a great coach.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 11 2016, 01:15 PM) *

I thought our best team was '04, as we actually has a superstar offensive weapon for #5 to throw to. We also had our easiest playoff run that year by far. Whatever.

Then the question I ask is why begrudge him success elsewhere? And there is criticism without being an asshole....lots of folks here criticize things without the vitriol....

I agree 2004 was the best offensive team but 2002 was the better complete team....at the end of the day it was the defense that hurt the most against the Pats
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 11 2016, 02:51 PM) *
Andy's resume speaks for itself. He is a good coach that consistently had the Eagles in pre-season Super Bowl talks over an extended period of times. He is also the coach that never really learned and adjusted from the mistakes he had made. The TB and Car NFCCG was crushers and Andy takes some of the blame for those underwhelming performances. He may eventually get back to the Super Bowl but if I had to bet any money on it I would bet against it. Until then, his resume is missing something that would lead me to label him a great coach.

I agree on the Tampa loss...the Carolina loss was a product of having an offense decimated by injury....
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 11 2016, 09:49 PM) *
I agree on the Tampa loss...the Carolina loss was a product of having an offense decimated by injury....

I don't remember who was hurt for that game but Carolina came out and basically punched the Eagle's in the mouth. McNabb hurt his ribs either late 1st quarter or early 2nd. 3 picks later and the game was pretty much over.
Eyrie
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 11 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Good summary of my own views.

I continue to wish Reid well, except when playing us, but I still think it was the right decision to move on from him.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 11 2016, 03:48 PM) *
Then the question I ask is why begrudge him success elsewhere? And there is criticism without being an asshole....lots of folks here criticize things without the vitriol....

I agree 2004 was the best offensive team but 2002 was the better complete team....at the end of the day it was the defense that hurt the most against the Pats

When our resident know-it-all dipshit insists that we got rid of two amazing football minds, when that clearly isn't the case, then I'm forced to correct him. And in doing so, I have and will continue to bring up all of his flaws, and the fact that without #5 and JJ, he doesn't have anywhere close to his 'success.'

I don't begrudge him his standard 9-10-11 win seasons followed by playoff exits - he can have them. But I don't want him to win a ring elsewhere, and I enjoy trolling this little child here. So get ready for next week. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 11 2016, 07:30 PM) *
When our resident know-it-all dipshit insists that we got rid of two amazing football minds, when that clearly isn't the case, then I'm forced to correct him. And in doing so, I have and will continue to bring up all of his flaws, and the fact that without #5 and JJ, he doesn't have anywhere close to his 'success.'

I don't begrudge him his standard 9-10-11 win seasons followed by playoff exits - he can have them. But I don't want him to win a ring elsewhere, and I enjoy trolling this little child here. So get ready for next week. laugh.gif

ahhh...the old "well without this guy and that guy" defense......well say that about virtually any coach in the league...ever

Coaches can go so far.....players win it

That being said Reid had 2 glaring flaws that hurt him and his in game adjustments are not near the top

1. He grossly undervalued the WR position
2. He failed to replace the assistants he lost with quality guys ready to lead...
mcnabbulous
The best part of the whole Andy only won because of JJ and McNabb is that Andy hand selected both fucking guys. JJ was working as a largely unknown linebackers coach with only two years as defensive coordinator resulting in the 18th and 26th ranked scoring defenses prior to coming to Philly.

I don't even need to mention the general consensus on McNabb upon his selection. And rest assured, our resident moron was definitely barking for Ricky Williams in the 1999 draft.

And Donnie's win percentage in Philly was 65.2%. Andy's win percentage in KC is currently 64.6%. In his third year, he's currently tracking to go on a very Philly-type run of success over the coming seasons.

I really don't give a shit if anyone likes or respects Andy. Frankly, not acknowledging his excellence is just one more case study of resident moron's shitbox football acumen.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 12 2016, 12:35 PM) *
I really don't give a shit if anyone likes or respects Andy.

Clearly you do, you little child. I would never talk about him at all if you didn't constantly bring him up. Any predictions for Andy in Foxboro next week?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 12 2016, 01:01 PM) *
Clearly you do, you little child. I would never talk about him at all if you didn't constantly bring him up. Any predictions for Andy in Foxboro next week?

I didn't start this thread you illeritate dipshit. Nor did anyone ask you to contribute to it.

I have no predictions for 'Andy in Foxboro' because he isn't setting foot on the field. I assume it will be a relatively low scoring affair. Maclin's ability to play will be a big factor in whether KC has a lot of success on offense.

Looks like the weather will be sloppy.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 12 2016, 02:10 PM) *
I didn't start this thread you illeritate dipshit.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

"illiterate"
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 12 2016, 01:12 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

"illiterate"

I'll grant you that's a good one, but I was typing on an iPhone.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 11 2016, 01:30 AM) *
Broken ankle. The rib was 2003. Both unfortunate injuries and perfect examples of the luck needed for everything to fall into place.

In 2004 Reid was robbed by an out of shape, chubby on chunky soup, fraud of a QB.

tongue.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 11 2016, 07:15 PM) *

His "flaws" were his choice in QB.

Seriously though, I said every year of Reid's tenure.... "He's the best coach in the league Monday through Saturday." He had game management issues that reared their ugly head in close games too often. But he built a solid organization and program.

Sadly, even he couldn't keep Chubby 5 in shape and watching him dry heave and wretch during crunch time in the Super Bowl is my clearest memory of the entire run.

Dunuvin McFraud.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 12 2016, 03:23 PM) *
His "flaws" were his choice in QB.

Seriously though, I said every year of Reid's tenure.... "He's the best coach in the league Monday through Saturday." He had game management issues that reared their ugly head in close games too often. But he built a solid organization and program.

Sadly, even he couldn't keep Chubby 5 in shape and watching him dry heave and wretch during crunch time in the Super Bowl is my clearest memory of the entire run.

Dunuvin McFraud.

Yet Bradford is the real deal after 7 games of solid play (out of 63) in a contract year blink.gif
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 12 2016, 12:35 PM) *
The best part of the whole Andy only won because of JJ and McNabb is that Andy hand selected both fucking guys.

Tom Modrak should get some credit for the McNabb pick.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 12 2016, 04:30 PM) *
Tom Modrak should get some credit for the McNabb pick.

Banner recently said that he and Andy were the only two people in the building who thought they should take McNabb. Take it for what it's worth.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 12 2016, 05:27 PM) *
Yet Bradford is the real deal after 7 games of solid play (out of 63) in a contract year blink.gif

Seriously, you would think after 5 years of Vick, Foles, Sanchez, TEBOW, and looking-kinda-good-finally Bradford, our idiot fan base would start to cool off regarding McNabb. I honestly think we deserve what we get more often than not.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 12 2016, 07:21 PM) *
Seriously, you would think after 5 years of Vick, Foles, Sanchez, TEBOW, and looking-kinda-good-finally Bradford, our idiot fan base would start to cool off regarding McNabb. I honestly think we deserve what we get more often than not.

I often wonder if some folks here think TO threw the ball to himself in 2004.

McNabb was a very good QB playing with garbage at WR for most of his time here.....and they still won a ton of games and made several playoff runs....those WRs made the current batch look like all pros.
mcnabbulous
McNabb's detractors typically understate his first 6 seasons and his supporters overstate his last 5.

He was great at the beginning and drifted towards the mean far earlier than he should have.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 12 2016, 07:43 PM) *
I often wonder if some folks here think TO threw the ball to himself in 2004.

McNabb was a very good QB playing with garbage at WR for most of his time here.....and they still won a ton of games and made several playoff runs....those WRs made the current batch look like all pros.

Damn, you mean I have to agree with you on something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.