Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looks like its Gase to Miami, and Hue to the 49ers.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Why is it was don't seem to be able to hire our best choices?
Zero
Where you getting this, Kemosabe?
xsv
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 9 2016, 08:09 AM) *
Where you getting this, Kemosabe?

Nothing set in stone, but here you go...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...se-to-dolphins/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...-for-49ers-job/

Also, looks like Coughlin is a strong candidate now.
Zero
I wouldn't be upset.

IMO the best thing is to hire a defensive guy who will install a system to maximize the existing talent and limit points against. Keep Shurmur who will modify Kelly's system to maximize Bradford's abilities and score points. Maybe not to the extent Kelly's offense did when it worked, but using some of the successful concepts mixed with proven NFL basics.

I also want the team to undergo an attitude adjustment. Good character is one thing, but on the field I don't want nice guys. I want to see players who take losing every play personally. I hate watching players lose a game and do a meet and greet with opposing players all smiles. Bullshit!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Jan 9 2016, 07:03 AM) *
Why is it was don't seem to be able to hire our best choices?

Last time we got the bell of the ball. I'm not sure there is a history we should be concerned about yet.

Am curious how this will play out. If we wanted an offensive coach, Gase seemed like the most appealing candidate.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 09:55 AM) *
Last time we got the bell of the ball. I'm not sure there is a history we should be concerned about yet.

Am curious how this will play out. If we wanted an offensive coach, Gase seemed like the most appealing candidate.

If we're going to be honest, we don't know anything about how any coordinator will pan out as a HC. Gase sounds good, but he's the darling of the media and we all know we can trust the media to get it right.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 09:55 AM) *

excellent point....what I find funny is Lurie talked about finding a coach who gets the fans yet Lurie is completely clueless about that very thing........I think he is a great owner but sometimes...like now...he is tone deaf..
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 9 2016, 08:59 AM) *
If we're going to be honest, we don't know anything about how any coordinator will pan out as a HC. Gase sounds good, but he's the darling of the media and we all know we can trust the media to get it right.

He was also the darling of being interviewed by basically every team with an opening. There is more to this than just some media hype.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 9 2016, 09:06 AM) *
excellent point....what I find funny is Lurie talked about finding a coach who gets the fans yet Lurie is completely clueless about that very thing........I think he is a great owner but sometimes...like now...he is tone deaf..

Lurie is a good owner, but the Howie situation is a pretty big black mark.
Rick
So I understand they're interviewing Coughlin. As much as I like the guy as a coach, I have mixed feelings about him coaching the Eagles.

My main concern is how long he wants to coach. He's about to turn 70. What's he got 3 or (maybe) 5 years? Anything in possible in the NFL but, given the Eagles' history, I'm not betting on a SB win in 3-5 years, even so, I want someone who will be here for a while to build some stability back to this franchise. I don't see Coughlin coaching much longer.

Besides, the players all revolted on a control freak. Isn't Coughlin kinda a control freak as well? I thought he was a great coach but not a players' coach?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 10:09 AM) *
Lurie is a good owner, but the Howie situation is a pretty big black mark.

The possibility remains that Howie isn't what he's made out to be. He ran afoul of Kelly ... unjustly? He had trouble with Banner ... wrong? I don't remember any serious issues he had with Reid. Has anyone he had problems with done better anywhere else? I don't like him as a personnel evaluator, but as a negotiator and an executive he seems to do a good job. The rep he has for sticking knives in backs may be a twist by the guy who was stabbed in the heart.

I'm not making this argument, only presenting the possibility. Lurie hasn't been a bad owner, how could he keep getting one guy so wrong?
Phits
Keep in mind that "under" Howie, Reid turned into a fool and went against the principles that made him successful. I think that could be considered a serious issue smile.gif

QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 9 2016, 11:08 AM) *
The possibility remains that Howie isn't what he's made out to be. He ran afoul of Kelly ... unjustly? He had trouble with Banner ... wrong? I don't remember any serious issues he had with Reid. Has anyone he had problems with done better anywhere else? I don't like him as a personnel evaluator, but as a negotiator and an executive he seems to do a good job. The rep he has for sticking knives in backs may be a twist by the guy who was stabbed in the heart.

I'm not making this argument, only presenting the possibility. Lurie hasn't been a bad owner, how could he keep getting one guy so wrong?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.