Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grudog interested in coaching Eagles?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Gruden is doing his biennial return-to-coaching tire-kicking. Whether he's serious this time or just needs his ego massaged still is unclear.

But a league source told the Daily News that he has informed Lurie, through an intermediary, that he is interested in the Eagles' head-coaching job.

The source said that while Lurie likes and respects Gruden, who was the Eagles' offensive coordinator in 1997-98, he has reservations about the ESPN Monday Night Football analyst's ability/willingness to play nice with Roseman, who has returned to a seat of personnel power now that Chip Kelly is gone.

Gruden has told people that working with Roseman wouldn't be a problem. But Kelly said the same thing when he was hired in 2013, and look how that turned out.
Linc ...

The headline is the eye-catcher, but the other stuff in this piece are the eye-openers and, for me, much more interesting than the annual Gruden HC rumor. An argument to resign Bradford and some pretty interesting stats on the 2015 Eagles.
HobbEs
Maybe John has learned that there has to be a balance of power?

Anyway, now I'm dreaming of Gruden coming in, keeping Shurmer and hiring Lovie Smith to run the Defense...
Zero
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 8 2016, 09:06 AM) *
Maybe John has learned that there has to be a balance of power?

Anyway, now I'm dreaming of Gruden coming in, keeping Shurmer and hiring Lovie Smith to run the Defense...
I think my heart just fluttered. Also wouldn't object to seeing a return of Spags in place of Lovie.
nd9kel
Ooooo...that made my heart palpitate...in a good way.
Birdman420
YES PLEASE! Sign them all up!
mcnabbulous
No coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. I don't know why anyone would expect a guy who has been sitting in the booth for a bunch of years would break that trend.
Phits
FYI - Only six head coaches have coached different franchises to the SB. No HC in NFL history has won a SB with 2 different franchises.
mcnabbulous
And only 3 have ever won one and taken another team back.
Joegrane
Yes, that combo sounds good.

With all of the teams looking for coaches I just don't see the Eagles attracting any of the best ones--unsigned QB, no cap space, Howie, $9mil fullback, $6mil OT that's injured half of the time, tough fan base.

Of course there are positives such as large market, owner with history of success, some attractive pieces on both sides of the ball, etc.

Does Lovie S coach a 4-3 or 3-4?
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 8 2016, 09:06 AM) *

nd9kel
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 8 2016, 10:03 AM) *
Yes, that combo sounds good.

With all of the teams looking for coaches I just don't see the Eagles attracting any of the best ones--unsigned QB, no cap space, Howie, $9mil fullback, $6mil OT that's injured half of the time, tough fan base.

Of course there are positives such as large market, owner with history of success, some attractive pieces on both sides of the ball, etc.

Does Lovie S coach a 4-3 or 3-4?

I think any coach that signed on would be pro-Bradford because that really cuts the development time down to nothing.

I also think the Howie "thing" is the biggest drawback. No one can quantify it except that the owner has an absurd love affair with the man that trumps everything.
mcnabbulous
I actually think our QB situation is one of the more compelling options, compared to say, Miami.

If the guy likes Bradford, he can figure out a way to keep him, if only for a season. If not, he can start fresh and draft a guy relatively early.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2016, 11:45 AM) *
I actually think our QB situation is one of the more compelling options, compared to say, Miami.

If the guy likes Bradford, he can figure out a way to keep him, if only for a season. If not, he can start fresh and draft a guy relatively early.

Keeping Bradford means a 4 year contract......that is the only way to have cap space......franchising him negates any gains from other restructures...they will free up a lot of cap space restructuring guys and cutting some....

But I agree....any coach looking at the current openings has to rank the Eagles as the best spot....Tenn. is a total mess in the FO with a struggle internally as well as with the NFL......every other place has ego-driven owners who change coaches and FO guys like underwear....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 8 2016, 11:28 AM) *
Keeping Bradford means a 4 year contract......that is the only way to have cap space......franchising him negates any gains from other restructures...they will free up a lot of cap space restructuring guys and cutting some....

But I agree....any coach looking at the current openings has to rank the Eagles as the best spot....Tenn. is a total mess in the FO with a struggle internally as well as with the NFL......every other place has ego-driven owners who change coaches and FO guys like underwear....

I think NY is more desirable, but Tenn does seem to be a mess.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2016, 12:54 PM) *
I think NY is more desirable, but Tenn does seem to be a mess.

I thought about that but NY has an aging roster in key spots..Manning is 35 and has been smacked around..D line....

But it is the top media market......success there is the mother load of secondary income
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2016, 10:28 AM) *
No coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. I don't know why anyone would expect a guy who has been sitting in the booth for a bunch of years would break that trend.

And no coach that you've ever been a fanboy of has ever won anything. That trend will continue forever.

Joegrane
I agree about other material in the article. This article has similar information.

"Roseman is gravitating toward up-and-coming assistant coaches who will be happy to be coaches, and who can be trusted not to try to launch a coup."

"Roseman wants a guy who can be trusted to work with (or maybe for) the guy who currently holds the cards in Philadelphia. Thatís why any coach with an actual or perceived desire to run the show need not apply."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...currently-want/

Maybe that will work well for the Eagles or maybe it will just work out for Howie's bottom line.

I hope Laurie knows what he is doing.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 7 2016, 09:00 PM) *
Linc ...

The headline is the eye-catcher, but the other stuff in this piece are the eye-openers and, for me, much more interesting than the annual Gruden HC rumor. An argument to resign Bradford and some pretty interesting stats on the 2015 Eagles.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 8 2016, 12:44 PM) *
I thought about that but NY has an aging roster in key spots..Manning is 35 and has been smacked around..D line....

But it is the top media market......success there is the mother load of secondary income

Yeah, it has some downside, no doubt. There has to be intrigue by an offensive coach to get your hands on a guy like Beckham though.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 8 2016, 01:06 PM) *
And no coach that you've ever been a fanboy of has ever won anything. That trend will continue forever.

I was a huge Bill Walsh fan when I was young! And I really liked Cowher and Gruden before they hit the booth.

I love how you think Chip was anything other than a great football coach. That is absolutely not what led to his downfall. What did?

Well, becoming the GM (and there is no one on this board who is more vocally opposed to coaches assuming GM duties than me) and his personality (of which I keenly predicted would be far less charming once the losing started)

Here is an entire thread in which I predicted that Chip's charm would wear off as soon as we hit a rough patch, while most everyone else (your former handle included) were essentially circle jerking what a charmer he is.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2016, 06:15 PM) *
I was a huge Bill Walsh fan when I was young! And I really liked Cowher and Gruden before they hit the booth.

I love how you think Chip was anything other than a great football coach. That is absolutely not what led to his downfall. What did?

Well, becoming the GM (and there is no one on this board who is more vocally opposed to coaches assuming GM duties than me) and his personality (of which I keenly predicted would be far less charming once the losing started)

Here is an entire thread in which I predicted that Chip's charm would wear off as soon as we hit a rough patch, while most everyone else (your former handle included) were essentially circle jerking what a charmer he is.

Chip was a complete and utter failure. Taking a talented team from 10-6 to an almost completely talentless team at 6-9 is pretty hard to spin. Unless you're delusional of course. I was utterly shocked that Lurie got rid of him this year, I thought for sure he would have another chance - imagine how bad the organization saw things getting?

As for the thread, I'm not sure what you're bragging about. You got schooled by a couple people, as always. I imagine the amount of football fans who are more knowledgeable than you is a pretty large sample size of the population - we aren't all the same person. You might be schizophrenic. In fact, if you find yourself talking football with Chip Kelly in a sauna with a bottle of Thousand Island dressing later, let me know so I can recommend a good doc. laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 8 2016, 04:45 PM) *
Chip was a complete and utter failure. Taking a talented team from 10-6 to an almost completely talentless team at 6-9 is pretty hard to spin. Unless you're delusional of course. I was utterly shocked that Lurie got rid of him this year, I thought for sure he would have another chance - imagine how bad the organization saw things getting?

He took a disaster of a 4-12 team to 10-6 in back to back seasons. That's the real story. Then he made bad personnel decisions (something he shouldn't have been doing) and regressed. His coaching wasn't the problem.

As for the thread, I'm not sure what you're bragging about. You got schooled by a couple people, as always. I imagine the amount of football fans who are more knowledgeable than you is a pretty large sample size of the population - we aren't all the same person. You might be schizophrenic. In fact, if you find yourself talking football with Chip Kelly in a sauna with a bottle of Thousand Island dressing later, let me know so I can recommend a good doc. laugh.gif

Sure thing, HoP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.