Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New coach will probably be unexpected
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
The best coach Lurie and company ever hired was a QB coach. Personally, I don't expect any of the popular names to be our next coach. Lurie is doing due diligence before he pounces on the unknown guy believing, right or wrong that he will be the next Andy Reid.
nd9kel
Well let's predict: I say Shurmer.
HobbEs
I predict: Tom Clements.
Zero
Shurmer could be it, but I'll predict Koetter.
HobbEs
As long as it's not Doug Peterson.
mcnabbulous
I still think it's Gase. We setup a second interview, apparently. I have a hard time believing he's going to be wowed by the opportunities in Cleveland and Miami. NYG is obviously a threat though. Hopefully they'll stay the course and just promote their OC.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2016, 11:16 AM) *
I still think it's Gase. We setup a second interview, apparently. I have a hard time believing he's going to be wowed by the opportunities in Cleveland and Miami. NYG is obviously a threat though. Hopefully they'll stay the course and just promote their OC.

We have an interview with McAdoo tomorrow.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Jan 6 2016, 10:19 AM) *
We have an interview with McAdoo tomorrow.

Saw that. I'm not too inspired by it.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2016, 11:53 AM) *
Saw that. I'm not too inspired by it.

I would be much more open and intrigued to bring in Gase but only if we had a guarantee that Jeffery would be coming with him. But since there are no guarantees like that I'm not even sure who I want, I'm just dreading the idea of whoever it is not being capable of helping this team and then having to go through this process all over again in a few years. I guess we'll just have to see.
nd9kel
It WON'T be Sean Payton.
samaroo
If I'm laying money, I'd say Shurmer. He's definitely not my first pick.

I want McD. I know O rules the day in the NFL, but a defensive coach in Philly just feels right.
nd9kel
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jan 6 2016, 05:32 PM) *

I want McD. I know O rules the day in the NFL, but a defensive coach in Philly just feels right.

If Shurmer had control of the O I could go with that. I think Shurmer could put Chip's offense on steroids, and the D could get full attention from the head guy.
Zero
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jan 6 2016, 06:32 PM) *

Probably end up being Shurmer with Staley and Spagnuolo as coordinators if Gase goes somewhere else. If it's Gase, I think they either draft a QB or build the OL, have a terrible season and draft a QB next year allowing Gase to groom him.
Phits
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jan 6 2016, 06:11 PM) *
It WON'T be Sean Payton.

Phits

samaroo
Yeah, Payton is a good coach, but something feels slimey about him. I'm glad he's not coming here. Does that mean I'm stupid?
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 6 2016, 06:42 PM) *
Probably end up being Shurmer

Joegrane
That's my view as well, although I would not go so far as to use the term "steriods." I think the combination would do a solid job. That's the best I can expect considering the limitations of the front office and salary cap.
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jan 6 2016, 06:41 PM) *
If Shurmer had control of the O I could go with that. I think Shurmer could put Chip's offense on steroids, and the D could get full attention from the head guy.
rumply
Darren DeGaetano
‏@DarrenDegaetano
Now told as much that the #Eagles have officially offered Adam Gase the job and that he is discussing with his family. Solid source I trust.
Zero
Who is Darren DeGaetano?
nd9kel
Interesting development:

Reuben Frank ✔ @RoobCSN
Interesting nugget: I'm told the Eagles have actually not set up a second interview with Adam Gase. Story is here: http://goo.gl/7CKOSf
11:27 AM - 7 Jan 2016 Philadelphia, PA, United States
Source: Adam Gase not scheduled for 2nd interview with Eagles
Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase has not been scheduled for a second interview with the Eagles, contrary to a recent report.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jan 7 2016, 12:31 PM) *
Interesting development:

Reuben Frank ✔ @RoobCSN
Interesting nugget: I'm told the Eagles have actually not set up a second interview with Adam Gase. Story is here: http://goo.gl/7CKOSf
11:27 AM - 7 Jan 2016 Philadelphia, PA, United States
Source: Adam Gase not scheduled for 2nd interview with Eagles
Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase has not been scheduled for a second interview with the Eagles, contrary to a recent report.

It looks like Lurie realized that Gase wasn't bringing Peyton Manning with him to Philly. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good. No more fad hires.
mcnabbulous
It's gonna be Pederson and ya'll are going to shit yourselves.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 7 2016, 01:33 PM) *
It looks like Lurie realized that Gase wasn't bringing Peyton Manning with him to Philly. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good. No more fad hires.

Just curious, who would be your choice?
JeeQ
Adam Gase and Lurie will feel like he won the HC sweepstakes
Reality Fan
My guess is Mindy Roseman...apparently the only person besides Lurie that Howie gets along with...
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 7 2016, 03:35 PM) *
Just curious, who would be your choice?

I've said I want McDermott. A JJ apprentice who's built a top defense, plus he's a Philly guy. Give Bradford some weapons while actually making our defense better, and we can turn it around pretty fast.
mcnabbulous
Well now we know McDermott is doomed to a shitty career.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 7 2016, 06:27 PM) *
Well now we know McDermott is doomed to a shitty career.

Not many coordinators in NFL history have overseen a 15-1 season. He's obviously already a success. If you see your man crush Chip at the unemployment office, be sure to tell him I said to execute better.
samaroo
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 8 2016, 06:54 AM) *
My guess is Mindy Roseman...apparently the only person besides Lurie that Howie gets along with...

No way. I've heard Mindy took housemaid personnel decisions away from Howie. It'd just be another power struggle.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 7 2016, 05:33 PM) *
Not many coordinators in NFL history have overseen a 15-1 season. He's obviously already a success.

Lol
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 7 2016, 06:33 PM) *
Not many coordinators in NFL history have overseen a 15-1 season. He's obviously already a success.

Ever heard of Foge Fazio?
HobbEs

Right...because we know Rivera and Newton didn't have anything to do with that.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 7 2016, 11:33 PM) *

I guess you cannot argue with this point since nobody has overseen many 15-1 seasons in the NFL. There have only been 6 since 1984. With that said, being on the staff of a team that does reach 15-1 does not necessarily make you a good HC candidate.
mcnabbulous
I would think this guy was trolling us if I didn't have years of evidence to know he is actually this clueless.
The Franchise
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jan 8 2016, 10:03 AM) *
Right...because we know Rivera and Newton didn't have anything to do with that.

Obviously they did. I just find it hilarious that Chip fanboys still in denial of his absolute failure here are now demanding we hire Gase, who's resume includes watching Peyton Manning run an offense, and leading Jay Cutler to a 6-10 above average season. Or we can try the apprentice of one of our most beloved coaches ever, who just built a 15-1 defense. At worst, Ron Rivera trusted him to handle his defense. It's maddening discussing things with some Eagles fans.
The Franchise
I guess you cannot argue with this point since nobody has overseen many 15-1 seasons in the NFL. There have only been 6 since 1984.

Precisely. Though as you can see, some fanboys are trying to argue with it.

With that said, being on the staff of a team that does reach 15-1 does not necessarily make you a good HC candidate.

Correct, but being the DC of a 15-1 team DOES mean you are a much more qualified candidate than someone who just coached Jay Cutler up to 6-10.
Reality Fan
On Gase...after further review and listening to a bunch of folks talk about him I am still not overly excited about him

I do not get the crazy praise for him...I concede that Chicago was decimated by injury and players moving on...I get that...but it is not like he took the talent he had and turned it into a juggernaut. He took that talent and coached it to what it should be...a below average offense....and Cutler did cut down on his TOs....but not that far from previous years....he improved moderately.....it is like taking a midget and growing him 3 inches...it is a big deal to him but in the grand scheme of things he is still short...

He may have done a nice job with what he had but he did not work miracles.

He may be a good coach but his work in Chicago does not indicate that he walks on water by any means.
Joegrane
I'm not opposed to McDermott but "qualified" for what, running a defense or being a head coach?
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 8 2016, 02:04 PM) *
Correct, but being the DC of a 15-1 team DOES mean you are a much more qualified candidate than someone who just coached Jay Cutler up to 6-10.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 8 2016, 02:34 PM) *
On Gase...after further review and listening to a bunch of folks talk about him I am still not overly excited about him

I do not get the crazy praise for him...I concede that Chicago was decimated by injury and players moving on...I get that...but it is not like he took the talent he had and turned it into a juggernaut. He took that talent and coached it to what it should be...a below average offense....and Cutler did cut down on his TOs....but not that far from previous years....he improved moderately.....it is like taking a midget and growing him 3 inches...it is a big deal to him but in the grand scheme of things he is still short...

He may have done a nice job with what he had but he did not work miracles.

He may be a good coach but his work in Chicago does not indicate that he walks on water by any means.

Why is his one year in Chicago used as some end all, be all case study. It was good, given the circumstances. He improved upon the previous season despite all the shortcomings you mentioned.

His experience with Manning resulted in the best season's of the guys career, post neck surgery, at ages 36-38. He was Tebow's QB coach and helped facilitate a scheme which helped that waste of space win 6 straight and a playoff game.

He's young. It's obviously projection, but sometimes you need to gamble a bit if you want to win big. Andy was only 40 when he took over. Gase has worked with some of the best minds in football. He's obviously bright and adaptable.

You keep saying Cutler didn't improve much on his turnovers, but that simply isn't the case. He cut 7 interceptions off his total from the year before. He only had one multi interception game (which was 3 in his last game, significantly increasing his season total) whereas he had 7 multi interception games the year before. He dropped his int % by a point, after basically being static there for most of his career. He also tied his career high in ypa. This while, as previously mentioned, throwing to a decimated receiving core.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2016, 05:24 PM) *
Why is his one year in Chicago used as some end all, be all case study. It was good, given the circumstances. He improved upon the previous season despite all the shortcomings you mentioned.

His experience with Manning resulted in the best season's of the guys career, post neck surgery, at ages 36-38. He was Tebow's QB coach and helped facilitate a scheme which helped that waste of space win 6 straight and a playoff game.

He's young. It's obviously projection, but sometimes you need to gamble a bit if you want to win big. Andy was only 40 when he took over. Gase has worked with some of the best minds in football. He's obviously bright and adaptable.

You keep saying Cutler didn't improve much on his turnovers, but that simply isn't the case. He cut 7 interceptions off his total from the year before. He only had one multi interception game (which was 3 in his last game, significantly increasing his season total) whereas he had 7 multi interception games the year before. He dropped his int % by a point, after basically being static there for most of his career. He also tied his career high in ypa. This while, as previously mentioned, throwing to a decimated receiving core.

You crack me up....look at the 2nd year with Manning...what happened to the King that year under Gase? His numbers plummeted using your logic.....
And Cutler threw 7 less TDs to go along with 7 less Ints....and his offense scored 4 less TDs than the year prior...as I pointed out, I get the loss of players and they changed their offense and ran more and passed less....but they ranked almost exactly the same in the league both years....I give him credit but it is not like he made them a top 15 offense despite the talent....he did what a good coach does...he got what he could out of his talent....they did not do anything amazing.

Now on to your Tebow point...though I am shocked you would even mention that.....as if Gase helped them do anything with Tebow....who had a a lusty 46.5 % completion percentage...and the majority of those wins were on the backs of a strong running game and great defense as noted by the low scores....
mcnabbulous
In the games Jeffrey played, they averaged 3 more ppg. 4 more than the previous season.

As for Tebow, I don't care about his completion percentage. I wouldn't expect it to be good. He sucks. My point is that they were able to put together an offense that maximized him and won games. Yes, completing less than half his passes is maximizing him.

As for Manning, his "down year" with Gase was still the third best of his career.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 8 2016, 02:04 PM) *
Precisely. Though as you can see, some fanboys are trying to argue with it.

Again, ever hear of Foge Fazio?
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 8 2016, 09:44 PM) *
Again, ever hear of Foge Fazio?

If you have a point, make it.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 8 2016, 09:28 PM) *
If you have a point, make it.

That's kind of my point. He's one of those 15-1 DC's. It doesn't qualify you for a HC position. Considering the talent on Carolina's D, it shouldn't be surprising that their D was/is as good as it is/was. I'm more impressed with what they did on the other side of the ball...

Knowing that Cutler was (essentially) playing his way out of the league .... it makes AG's feat that much more impressive.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 8 2016, 08:29 PM) *
In the games Jeffrey played, they averaged 3 more ppg. 4 more than the previous season.

As for Tebow, I don't care about his completion percentage. I wouldn't expect it to be good. He sucks. My point is that they were able to put together an offense that maximized him and won games. Yes, completing less than half his passes is maximizing him.

As for Manning, his "down year" with Gase was still the third best of his career.

yes...I imagine it was tough to come up with a game plan with Thomas, Welker and Dekker...not to mention Julian Thomas...good lord...the genius it had to take to get those guys open...and than add Sanders the next year in place of Dekker....have to be a real chess player to figure that one out..Manning loved him because he did not fuck with him...he just told him to go out and be himself...something Kubiak never understood..

and if he is such a terrific coach that he could maximize Tebow what was his excuse with Orton? If Orton was hurt I would get it but he wasn't...he started 1-4 and lost it to a guy who you say should be thrilled with a 48% completion percentage....that makes sense...keep going...this is fun...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 8 2016, 08:48 PM) *
yes...I imagine it was tough to come up with a game plan with Thomas, Welker and Dekker...not to mention Julian Thomas...good lord...the genius it had to take to get those guys open...and than add Sanders the next year in place of Dekker....have to be a real chess player to figure that one out..Manning loved him because he did not fuck with him...he just told him to go out and be himself...something Kubiak never understood..

So Kubiak is an idiot? Gase got the absolute most out of Manning. I'm not sure why your are arguing this.
and if he is such a terrific coach that he could maximize Tebow what was his excuse with Orton? If Orton was hurt I would get it but he wasn't...he started 1-4 and lost it to a guy who you say should be thrilled with a 48% completion percentage....that makes sense...keep going...this is fun...

It was Kyle Orton. Did Andy Reid turn Mike McMahon into a capable NFL QB? Does that mean he isn't qualified to be a coach? You're ridiculous.

I'm not, as you suggested, said Gase is anything more than an extremely interesting prospect. But I believe in taking risks to achieve greatness. His short history makes him an exciting HC option.

I'm not sure what you're clamoring for, but I'm sure that person doesn't have a flawless history.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 9 2016, 01:41 AM) *
So Kubiak is an idiot? Gase got the absolute most out of Manning. I'm not sure why your are arguing this.

It was Kyle Orton. Did Andy Reid turn Mike McMahon into a capable NFL QB? Does that mean he isn't qualified to be a coach? You're ridiculous.

I'm not, as you suggested, said Gase is anything more than an extremely interesting prospect. But I believe in taking risks to achieve greatness. His short history makes him an exciting HC option.

I'm not sure what you're clamoring for, but I'm sure that person doesn't have a flawless history.

He was Kyle Orton? The same Kyle Orton who put up numbers similar to what Cutler did this year.....in Denver the 2 years before he got benched? That Orton?...who Gase could do nothing with?...but he could do something with Tebow...if that does not cause soem alarm bells to ring you have dismantled the system...

The funny thing is you got me wondering about the guy so I figured "let's check him out...maybe I am wrong" but the more I look into him the less I am thinking he is special....to say he got a lot out of Manning is silly...the guy was already one of the best QBs ever and much of the word out in Denver was that Manning ran the offense, not the coaches,,,,,he thought Gase was smart because Gase deferred to him.

And their head coach at the time confirmed it...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...-200905633.html

and in the article the author praises McCoy for Tebow...not Gase..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.