Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thurmond does not expect to be back
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain
And thats a damn shame.

I thought him and Jenkins were a real bright spot on the defense. If he leaves they'll have another void at safety, and the only other options are either moving Rowe back, hoping Rowe or Maragos can fill in, or bringing in another one.

Link

He's made it clear he wants to stay, but he had a strong season and wants (and deserves) to get a raise. Given the cap situation, that looks like it could be tough, especially if Bradford gets tagged or signed with a big cap hit for next season, or if they extend Cox (yes I know they picked up the option for 2016 but would still like to see him extended sooner rather than later). Between him, Curry and Thornton leaving for FA, not to mention pending deals for Cox and maybe Bradford its going to be tight.

There is a bit of wiggle room....they can free up $15M by cutting Cooper, Demeco, Celek and Sanchez by June 1.

Birdman420
I absolutely hate when these decisions have to be made at the end of each year. The kid fan in me wants my madden team to come true!

I don't think we can afford to lose this guy. Taking crucial pieces out of our D is only going to push us further from success.

It would hurt, but far less to to see those guys you mentioned cut. Celek is a guy that deserves a complete career in philly and is still playing good ball.
Phits
One of the few things Howie brings to the table is good Cap strategies. I suspect there will be a few restructured contracts. If Bradford signs, I suspect there will be a few "qualifying contracts" and Roster/Reporting Bonuses (in-season roster bonus).

QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Jan 5 2016, 01:08 PM) *
And thats a damn shame.

I thought him and Jenkins were a real bright spot on the defense. If he leaves they'll have another void at safety, and the only other options are either moving Rowe back, hoping Rowe or Maragos can fill in, or bringing in another one.

Link

He's made it clear he wants to stay, but he had a strong season and wants (and deserves) to get a raise. Given the cap situation, that looks like it could be tough, especially if Bradford gets tagged or signed with a big cap hit for next season, or if they extend Cox (yes I know they picked up the option for 2016 but would still like to see him extended sooner rather than later). Between him, Curry and Thornton leaving for FA, not to mention pending deals for Cox and maybe Bradford its going to be tight.

There is a bit of wiggle room....they can free up $15M by cutting Cooper, Demeco, Celek and Sanchez by June 1.

Joegrane
Yes I agree. Didn't former S Nate Allen get 4 mil from Oakland? I assume Thurmond would get more.

If they sign bradford to a multi-year deal I assume they could be more creative to clear a little more cap space for 2016.

QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 5 2016, 01:22 PM) *
One of the few things Howie brings to the table is good Cap strategies. I suspect there will be a few restructured contracts. If Bradford signs, I suspect there will be a few "qualifying contracts" and Roster/Reporting Bonuses (in-season roster bonus).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.