Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: McDermott is interested in the HC job
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
We love it here. Living in Carolina, itís been great, being here for five years. But yeah, weíre always interested. I love the Philadelphia area. And quite honestly, itís been tough to watch over the last several years, you know, having grown up in the area and working there for 12 years.

The fan base, I know whatís important to them. I know theyíre genuine, theyíre dedicated, and theyíre real. And the facilities up there, theyíre second to none. Iíd love to see the Eagles recapture the magic, so to speak.

Letís just say that, with any and all jobs, Iím going to defer to my agent at this time. But itís a process, and Iím very humbled to be in that conversation whether itís with the Eagles or itís with the other teams that are interested. I would just love to see the Eagles recapture that magic, and thatís probably the best I can say at this point.

McD Linc
Zero
More than that, it sounds like he wants the job.
mcnabbulous
It sounds like he's begging for it. Pass.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 12:37 PM) *

It sounds like he respects the city and its fans, from having been here. Go away fanboy.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 11:37 AM) *

Pass? Why? Because he may genuinely want to coach in Philly?
mcnabbulous
Because much like Gus Bradley, his current team's defensive success is the product of the head coach. He's was the shittiest defensive coordinator we've had in recent memory, which says a lot. He's also only had one team express interest in his services. That team is the Cleveland Browns, which is why he's so desperate for us to interview him.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 5 2016, 04:55 PM) *
Pass? Why? Because he may genuinely want to coach in Philly?

You're attempting to reason with someone who thinks that when a great head coach and one of the best QB's ever team up with a stud roster, credit should be given to their OC - yet with successful defenses led by proven DC's, they don't get credit. Give it up.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 04:32 PM) *
Because much like Gus Bradley, his current team's defensive success is the product of the head coach. He's was the shittiest defensive coordinator we've had in recent memory, which says a lot. He's also only had one team express interest in his services. That team is the Cleveland Browns, which is why he's so desperate for us to interview him.

While I don't disagree with your reasoning on him maybe not being a good enough coach, I wouldn't say he's being desperate. He grew up an Eagles fan and coached there. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it.

But I'm not sure he'd be the best guy for the job out of who's available.
Joegrane
I was surprised by his comments. He has to be careful since his team is trying to make a deep run. You don't want to distract them.

QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 5 2016, 10:48 AM) *

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Jan 5 2016, 03:50 PM) *
While I don't disagree with your reasoning on him maybe not being a good enough coach, I wouldn't say he's being desperate.

He's vocal about wanting to take HC interviews this week. The fact that only one (really shitty) organization has expressed interest should be telling.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 5 2016, 03:49 PM) *
You're attempting to reason with someone who thinks that when a great head coach and one of the best QB's ever team up with a stud roster, credit should be given to their OC - yet with successful defenses led by proven DC's, they don't get credit. Give it up.

I'll make this very easy for you, since you obviously have a very severe brain injury.

When there is a defensive head coach, the DC's role is less important.
When there is a defensive head coach, the OC's role is more important.

When there is an offensive head coach, the OC's role is less important.
When there is an offensive head coach, the DC's role is more important.

Ron Rivera is a defensive coach. His defensive coordinator has less impact.
Pete Carrol is a defensive coach. His defensive coordinator has less impact.
John Fox is a defensive coach. His offensive coordinator has more impact.
You are an idiot. Your brain is only mildly functional.
The Franchise
I understand you're so sick of being wrong about everything, and you want to be on the forefront of perhaps 'guessing right' about Gase so, for the first time ever, you can say "See? I was right about that!" But, my little friend, he's unproven - walking up and down the sidelines watching Manning tear it up isn't a resume booster. Neither is leading Jay Cutler to a slightly above average statistical year where they go 6-10. Could he be a good coach? Maybe. McD has built one of the better defenses in the league, and learned from the best DC we've ever seen. Join the real world.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 5 2016, 04:45 PM) *
McD has built one of the better defenses in the league

No, he didn't. Much like Gus Bradley didn't do it in Seattle. As is proving itself with his 4-12 seasonal average in Jacksonville.

The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 06:56 PM) *
No, he didn't. Much like Gus Bradley didn't do it in Seattle. As is proving itself with his 4-12 seasonal average in Jacksonville.

Winning 5 games in Jacksonville is a hell of a lot more impressive than dismantling a 10-6 team and going to 6-9 in Philly.

Likewise, going 15-1 after building one of the best defenses in the league is a hell of a lot more impressive than leading an offense to 6-10.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 5 2016, 05:05 PM) *
Winning 5 games in Jacksonville is a hell of a lot more impressive than dismantling a 10-6 team and going to 6-9 in Philly.

They both took over terrible teams. One guy won 26 games. The other has won 12.

26 > 12

Likewise, going 15-1 after building one of the best defenses in the league is a hell of a lot more impressive than leading an offense to 6-10.

Ron Rivera, the defensive minded head coach of the Carolina Panthers built that defense. Much like he did in San Diego, prior to getting his head coaching job. Sean McDermott is riding his coat tails.

In Denver, Adam Gase's offense scored 7 more ppg than the year before he took over playcalling duties. In the year following his departure, they averaged 7 fewer points.

In Chicago, despite the fact that the best two offenses players from the previous year were largely not available, they still managed to score more points for game. Think about that. An offense without Brandon Marshall and with an injured Alshon Jeffrey for half the season scored more points than a team that had those two players mostly available.

A roster with Marc Mariani, Josh Bellamy, and Marquess Wilson catching significant passes, outscored an offense that was led by two of the best receivers in football.

The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 07:16 PM) *
In Denver, Adam Gase's offense scored 7 more ppg than the year before he took over playcalling duties. In the year following his departure, they averaged 7 fewer points.

Whatever man, I know you're incapable of rationally processing facts. It's just unbelievable that you trash Belichick as overrated because he's has Brady, but the OC for one of the best offensive rosters and QB's in NFL history is a genius.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 5 2016, 05:19 PM) *
Whatever man, I know you're incapable of rationally processing facts. It's just unbelievable that you trash Belichick as overrated because he's has Brady, but the OC for one of the best offensive rosters and QB's in NFL history is a genius.

Belichick doesn't coach offense. He is and always has been a defensive minded coach. An excellent one. Just not nearly the genius HC that everyone makes him out to be.

And I don't think Gase is a genius. I think he's an excellent young offensive coach that has done very good things with 3 different QB's. That is the type of guy I want leading a franchise that has lacked stability at the QB position.

When you can take a guy who has been historically bad at something (Jay Cutler - throwing interceptions) and fundamentally improve that part of his game despite having less surrounding talent, that type of thing opens my eyes. Cutler had never thrown fewer than 14 INT's in a season where he played 15 games. Through 15 games with Adam Gase as his OC, he had thrown 8.

Ron Rivera has coached 3 different defenses that have been in the top-2 of total yards. He doesn't need Sean McDermott to create a solid defense. He has a track record of doing that on his own.

Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 05:25 PM) *
I'll make this very easy for you, since you obviously have a very severe brain injury.

When there is a defensive head coach, the DC's role is less important.
When there is a defensive head coach, the OC's role is more important.

When there is an offensive head coach, the OC's role is less important.
When there is an offensive head coach, the DC's role is more important.

Ron Rivera is a defensive coach. His defensive coordinator has less impact.
Pete Carrol is a defensive coach. His defensive coordinator has less impact.
John Fox is a defensive coach. His offensive coordinator has more impact.

What is perhaps more simple, is that talent trumps all else. Look at the players on that defense. That's neither for or against McDermott, but that defense isn't what it is without the players and then McDermott may not be the shining star we think he is.
samaroo
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 6 2016, 10:33 AM) *
What is perhaps more simple, is that talent trumps all else, except culture.

This is what you meant, right? wink.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 5 2016, 08:33 PM) *
What is perhaps more simple, is that talent trumps all else.

No shit - but you wanted to give another year to the guy who got rid of all our talent, while telling us it didn't matter?

Whether or not Rivera is more or less responsible than McDermott for the Panthers' defensive success is impossible to determine, as less than a week after he was hired in 2011 he picked up McD 2 days after his firing here. They both coached here together under JJ, and I'm inclined to believe Rivera knew what he was doing when hiring him. Going after some flavor of the month like Gase is almost as bad as bringing another college flag football coach here. Get back to basics, with a proven defensive coach.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 06:30 PM) *
Belichick doesn't coach offense. He is and always has been a defensive minded coach. An excellent one. Just not nearly the genius HC that everyone makes him out to be.

And I don't think Gase is a genius. I think he's an excellent young offensive coach that has done very good things with 3 different QB's. That is the type of guy I want leading a franchise that has lacked stability at the QB position.

When you can take a guy who has been historically bad at something (Jay Cutler - throwing interceptions) and fundamentally improve that part of his game despite having less surrounding talent, that type of thing opens my eyes. Cutler had never thrown fewer than 14 INT's in a season where he played 15 games. Through 15 games with Adam Gase as his OC, he had thrown 8.

Ron Rivera has coached 3 different defenses that have been in the top-2 of total yards. He doesn't need Sean McDermott to create a solid defense. He has a track record of doing that on his own.

Let be honest here....

Lets look at Gase as the OC and not the QB coach.....and it is not pretty..

In 2013 the Bears ranked as follows:

points 2nd
yards 4th

Cutler played 11 games 19 TDs and 12 ints with a 63.3% and an 89.2 rating and the Bears were ranked 5 in passing and 5th in passing TDs....Kromer did a great job apparently...even with Josh Mccown (Brandon Marshall helped a lot)

In 2014 the Bears ranked as follows:

Points 23rd
Yards 21st

Cutler played 15 games 28 TDs and 18 INTs with a 66.6% and an 88.6 rating and again...he has Brandon Marshall and Kromer

In 2015 the Bears ranked the exact same as 2014......no change...

Cutler threw nearly 80 less passes....21 TDs and 11 INTs....and a 64.4% with a 92.3 rating.

He really only lost Marshall...a big blow but they still had Bennett and Forte and they changed the offense to spread the ball rather than the offense they ran to keep Marshall happy.

When you look at the entire picture I am sure Gase is a good coach but lets be clear about a few things...

His impact on the offense did little...he was the OC...not the QB coach. He did not have Marshall....but he only did as much with less...not more with less.
Even mentioning any coordinator or coach as superior to Belichick is idiotic.....the guy has the resume...he is in the top 3 all time and I don't like the guy even a little...but facts are facts.
Gase is not even in that conversation.

If we want to hire a great QB coach he may be the guy....but to look at his work and elevate him to god status is a reach...I pass and pass fast
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 5 2016, 08:33 PM) *
What is perhaps more simple, is that talent trumps all else. Look at the players on that defense. That's neither for or against McDermott, but that defense isn't what it is without the players and then McDermott may not be the shining star we think he is.

First, winning trumps everything. When you're winning everybody seems to be talented.

Second, Talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is only as good as the system. How many times have we seen an 'uber talent' fail miserably in another system? There are exceptions. An "elite talent" has a skill superior to the system and will look good in most situations.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 5 2016, 08:31 PM) *
Let be honest here....

Lets look at Gase as the OC and not the QB coach.....and it is not pretty..

In 2013 the Bears ranked as follows:

points 2nd
yards 4th

Cutler played 11 games 19 TDs and 12 ints with a 63.3% and an 89.2 rating and the Bears were ranked 5 in passing and 5th in passing TDs....Kromer did a great job apparently...even with Josh Mccown (Brandon Marshall helped a lot)

In 2014 the Bears ranked as follows:

Points 23rd
Yards 21st

Cutler played 15 games 28 TDs and 18 INTs with a 66.6% and an 88.6 rating and again...he has Brandon Marshall and Kromer

In 2015 the Bears ranked the exact same as 2014......no change...

Cutler threw nearly 80 less passes....21 TDs and 11 INTs....and a 64.4% with a 92.3 rating.

He really only lost Marshall...a big blow but they still had Bennett and Forte and they changed the offense to spread the ball rather than the offense they ran to keep Marshall happy.

When you look at the entire picture I am sure Gase is a good coach but lets be clear about a few things...

His impact on the offense did little...he was the OC...not the QB coach. He did not have Marshall....but he only did as much with less...not more with less.
Even mentioning any coordinator or coach as superior to Belichick is idiotic.....the guy has the resume...he is in the top 3 all time and I don't like the guy even a little...but facts are facts.
Gase is not even in that conversation.

If we want to hire a great QB coach he may be the guy....but to look at his work and elevate him to god status is a reach...I pass and pass fast

First, in addition to losing Marshall, he also missed Jeffrey for half the season. Bennett missed 5 games and Forte missed 3. The offense was a total mess from an injury perspective. Despite all this, Cutler had the most efficient season of his career and improved from leading the league in interceptions the season before to a career best number.

Second, I didn't compare him to Belichick. Our resident idiot did that. No one is elevating him to god status. People that think nfl coaches are gods or geniuses are silly. The big differences between most of them tend to be whether they have a quarterback.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2016, 09:08 AM) *
First, in addition to losing Marshall, he also missed Jeffrey for half the season. Bennett missed 5 games and Forte missed 3. The offense was a total mess from an injury perspective. Despite all this, Cutler had the most efficient season of his career and improved from leading the league in interceptions the season before to a career best number.

Second, I didn't compare him to Belichick. Our resident idiot did that. No one is elevating him to god status. People that think nfl coaches are gods or geniuses are silly. The big differences between most of them tend to be whether they have a quarterback.

Again....I get it if he will be the QB coach although Cutler's improvement is much less dramatic than you portray.....without Marshall and with a Jeffries who was hobbled a bit they changed to a short passing game hence is low air yards/attempt...one of your favorite stats.....that makes any QB more efficient. Also...his INTs were better % wise but again...he had 11 and that was on 80 less attempts then the previous year....so his INT % was better but not dramatically so...it can be argued that the lack of a deep threat was more responsible for that than Gase's yoda like influence.

Maybe he will be a great coach.....I just think his performance in Chicago is grossly overrated....
mcnabbulous
Jeffrey wasn't hobbled a bit. He was out for half the season.

Marc Mariani started 5 games. Josh Bellamy started 3. Marquess Wilson started 6.

Despite this, Cutler's yards per attempt actually increased from 6.8 in 2014 to 7.6 this year. And his air yards per attempt increased from 2.92 to 3.83. So your theory that they moved to some short passing attack, which is why his INTs decreased, doesn't hold water.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 6 2016, 10:26 AM) *
Jeffrey wasn't hobbled a bit. He was out for half the season.

Marc Mariani started 5 games. Josh Bellamy started 3. Marquess Wilson started 6.

Despite this, Cutler's yards per attempt actually increased from 6.8 in 2014 to 7.6 this year. And his air yards per attempt increased from 2.92 to 3.83. So your theory that they moved to some short passing attack, which is why his INTs decreased, doesn't hold water.

excellent point.....but Cutler's INT issues were thrown deep downfield.....with Marshall gone and Jeffries hrut they threw to possession guys like Eddie Royal et all and they threw less to Matt Forte.....their RB...obviously a change in their offensive philosophy which took the screen game out of their playbook.....if you lose not one but both of your deep threats and your response is to get rid of your screen game I am not sure that I am all that excited about your offensive philosophy....as I said...I don't think he did a bad job.....they were facing talent issues...but it is not like he made any improvement with what he had....he did well with that talent...but only well enough to rank in the 20s.....

But he is the hot candidate....I acknowledge they know more than I do
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.