Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much is too much for Bradford?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
So far Bradford has cost us a QB, 2nd round pick and $13 million for a 1 year rental and evaluation. It seems that the majority of us believe that this is a steal, considering the improvement Bradford has shown throughout the season.

I've expressed concern that Bradford's improvement may be the benefit of the QB friendly system that has shown improvement on a number of QB's that have gone through our system. With that said, the play of the other offensive parts have been much closer to really bad than good this season (Receivers, OL, RB), another season with the same personnel should make him more comfortable. Unfortunately, with Chip's dismissal this means another system and another coach for Bradford to adapt to.

The cost of keeping Bradford will likely mean a long term contract with a ton of guaranteed money AND keeping Shurmur as coach. I like Sam. I think he could be an above average QB. The conundrum is this; for the sake of continuity and familiarity it might mean retaining Pat Shurmur in order to keep Bradford's services. I don't like Pat Shurmur I don't think he has done anything of merit....other than coach Bradford. Outside of this, I just don't see the value in him.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 5 2016, 10:33 AM) *
So far Bradford has cost us a QB, 2nd round pick and $13 million for a 1 year rental and evaluation. It seems that the majority of us believe that this is a steal, considering the improvement Bradford has shown throughout the season.

I've expressed concern that Bradford's improvement may be the benefit of the QB friendly system that has shown improvement on a number of QB's that have gone through our system. With that said, the play of the other offensive parts have been much closer to really bad than good this season (Receivers, OL, RB), another season with the same personnel should make him more comfortable. Unfortunately, with Chip's dismissal this means another system and another coach for Bradford to adapt to.

The cost of keeping Bradford will likely mean a long term contract with a ton of guaranteed money AND keeping Shurmur as coach. I like Sam. I think he could be an above average QB. The conundrum is this; for the sake of continuity and familiarity it might mean retaining Pat Shurmur in order to keep Bradford's services. I don't like Pat Shurmur I don't think he has done anything of merit....other than coach Bradford. Outside of this, I just don't see the value in him.

There is one flaw in your "QB friendly system" that you and several others ignore. Bradford came into this season with the obvious and undeniable burden of overcoming his knee injuries...that he missed 2 years and, more importantly, much of the offseason activities and proper TC prep while rehabbing that knee. Had he not missed that time he would likely have found his groove much earlier and his numbers would have been even higher.......it is not inconceivable that his accuracy may have eclipsed the 70% mark in this offense.....watching Foles and watching Bradford the difference is obvious....
CT_Eagle
I think Bradford has earned the right to return next year if he chooses. He is not going to sign to a one year deal so if the Eagles want him, they are going to have to make it a multiyear deal. Bradford is looking at his next contract as the one where he can provide for his financial well being for the rest of his life. If the Eagles do not pony up, someone else will. With regards to Shurmer, I think he is a crap shoot. He has earned an interview for sure.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 5 2016, 11:32 AM) *
Bradford is looking at his next contract as the one where he can provide for his financial well being for the rest of his life.

He was the last person to sign one of those ludicrous #1 overall pick contracts. I believe he's made $78MM thus far in his career. I think he'll be alright either way.

With that said, I don't expect him to willingly sign a short term deal. He's going to try to cash in again.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Jan 5 2016, 12:32 PM) *
I think Bradford has earned the right to return next year if he chooses. He is not going to sign to a one year deal so if the Eagles want him, they are going to have to make it a multiyear deal. Bradford is looking at his next contract as the one where he can provide for his financial well being for the rest of his life. If the Eagles do not pony up, someone else will. With regards to Shurmer, I think he is a crap shoot. He has earned an interview for sure.

Actually.....if they franchise him his leverage is greatly diminished......he can't sign anywhere else......and the Eagles lose little because if not Bradford than a cheap retread QB is the only other option.....there is no great QB out there to be had...

If he does not sign the tag he sits out a year and it starts all over in 2017.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 12:40 PM) *
He was the last person to sign one of those ludicrous #1 overall pick contracts. I believe he's made $78MM thus far in his career. I think he'll be alright either way.

With that said, I don't expect him to willingly sign a short term deal. He's going to try to cash in again.

Especially with Condon as his agent...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 5 2016, 11:57 AM) *
Especially with Condon as his agent...

Right. If we don't franchise him, I don't expect him to be back largely for this reason.
Birdman420
I think the best move is to tag him and give shurmur an interview. Not sold on him being the HC but I don't have a clue otherwise. I think A lot of the guys pointed out earlier that the job isn't going to be sought after by big time coaches.

Tagging him would bypass the BS and give us one more year to feel him out and maybe wait for the next best thing. But if I were Bradford if I got tagged it would mean just one more season to survive behind that O line and another shipment of crazy glue for the WR's hands.

Bradford is better then we've seen and would be more successful on another team, why would he want to stay here? Can you really just pay a guy to care or do they have to buy in emotionally as well? I think we saw that money didn't shut Murray up last season.
Phits
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Jan 5 2016, 01:12 PM) *
Bradford is better then we've seen and would be more successful on another team

I think that's a question, rather than a statement. He has never shown to be better than what he has been. It's a question of potential vs reality. Admittedly he has looked better as the season progressed, but how much better can he be? Is what we've seen from him enough to show he can be 'the QB'? or is it another example of a player playing for a contract?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 5 2016, 05:56 PM) *
Actually.....if they franchise him his leverage is greatly diminished......he can't sign anywhere else......and the Eagles lose little because if not Bradford than a cheap retread QB is the only other option.....there is no great QB out there to be had...

If he does not sign the tag he sits out a year and it starts all over in 2017.....

I was thinking about the tag in Bradford's case but I am not sure the Eagles can afford it. Where is Mike and his spreadsheets when you need him.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 5 2016, 11:06 AM) *
There is one flaw in your "QB friendly system" that you and several others ignore. Bradford came into this season with the obvious and undeniable burden of overcoming his knee injuries...that he missed 2 years and, more importantly, much of the offseason activities and proper TC prep while rehabbing that knee. Had he not missed that time he would likely have found his groove much earlier and his numbers would have been even higher.......it is not inconceivable that his accuracy may have eclipsed the 70% mark in this offense.....watching Foles and watching Bradford the difference is obvious....

That's a valid point and is with merit. You also have to factor in, how much of Sam's recent play is based on this being a contract year, and him having to demonstrate his ability to rebound from injury and be a quality starter in the NFL?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.